First time in a suite!

300dtc

Hi, can I get some idea from experienced suite dwellers? How much is a reasonable tip for the butler? I don't want to guess..so a range would be great!

Also, what type of things do you ask for in a suite that you wouldn't normally have?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally we didn't use the butler very much and so only tipped him a small amount ($15); however the room steward was really useful and he got more ($25). The Concierge is the one who can arrange things for you and deserves the most, which he got.

For those of you who think that was too little, we are from New Zealand and HAVING to tip is anathema to us. We tip for service over and above what we expect.

The butler just did what I would have expected a butler to do and virtually no more. Then he had the cheek to ask, three times, on the penultimate day "How was the service I gave you? Were you satisfied?" No better than a beggar and I made sure the Hotel Director and NCL Miami knew.

I think a fair average is $10/pp a day for butler and $5/pp day for concierge. I always adjust dependent on how much I use their service and how good it is.

I am assuming you mean something that isn't automatically done when you ask what type of things a person asks for?

For me, it would be en suite dining. Whether it's just coffee, a particular snack, or delivery (and set up) of a meal from a specialty restaurant.

Happy sailing :-)

Hi, can I get some idea from experienced suite dwellers? How much is a reasonable tip for the butler? I don't want to guess..so a range would be great!

Also, what type of things do you ask for in a suite that you wouldn't normally have?

Thank you!

Thank you!

$10-$15 per person in the room per day (e.g., $10 * 2 people * 7 nights) for the butler.

$5-$10 per person per day for the concierge.

$5-$10 per person per day for your room steward (if you have a large room, more). The room steward does get some from the Daily Service Charge, but we always give them a bit extra for taking care of our large room.

Let your butler know what you like for snacks (above and beyond the daily snacks). We sometimes asks for PB&J sandwiches. We always ask for a bowl of M&Ms and bowl of gummy bears.

We order breakfast on early port days. Butler brings the food to your room and serves it on a white table cloth. For breakfast, there is a breakfast card with check boxes. Ignore the check boxes and write in your order for anything from the Main Dining Room or Suites restaurant. Eggs over easy, filet steak, mushrooms, grilled tomato, bacon, ham, hash browns, omelets with fillings of your choice, breads, fresh fruit, juices, and a diet pepsi.

6e9bdff0b0a0c2dc7517e9b6a95818f5.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

$10-$15 per person in the room per day (e.g., $10 * 2 people * 7 nights) for the butler.

$5-$10 per person per day for the concierge.

$5-$10 per person per day for your room steward (if you have a large room, more). The room steward does get some from the Daily Service Charge, but we always give them a bit extra for taking care of our large room.

Let your butler know what you like for snacks (above and beyond the daily snacks). We sometimes asks for PB&J sandwiches. We always ask for a bowl of M&Ms and bowl of gummy bears.

We order breakfast on early port days. Butler brings the food to your room and serves it on a white table cloth. For breakfast, there is a breakfast card with check boxes. Ignore the check boxes and write in your order for anything from the Main Dining Room or Suites restaurant. Eggs over easy, filet steak, mushrooms, grilled tomato, bacon, ham, hash browns, omelets with fillings of your choice, breads, fresh fruit, juices, and a diet pepsi.

6e9bdff0b0a0c2dc7517e9b6a95818f5.jpg

Am I correct to assume that if you don't have a beverage package, the Diet Pepsi would be an additional charge, even in the suites?

We had a regular suite all it is is a larger bathroom but nice if that's what you have. Gratuities are paid ahead when you booked but we gave and extra $50

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How do you figure gratuities are paid ahead as the butler and concierge are not in the dsc pool???

Am I correct to assume that if you don't have a beverage package, the Diet Pepsi would be an additional charge, even in the suites?

That depends upon which level suite one has.

The top suites (OS, DOS, GV) get free soft drinks and bottled waters.

[They also get full sized bottles of liquor, 3 each for OS and DOS, 6 for GV. There is also sparkling wine or champagne.

But IIRC, they all still have to pay for the mini-bottles of booze in the mini bar.]

Other suites do have to pay for the soft drinks and bottled water if they don't have beverage packages that would include them.

(An occasional Butler will perhaps overlook the charge on occasion, but we haven't found that to be very often, and we didn't expect or ask.)

We had a regular suite all it is is a larger bathroom but nice if that's what you have. Gratuities are paid ahead when you booked but we gave and extra $50

How do you figure gratuities are paid ahead as the butler and concierge are not in the dsc pool???

It sounds like DNorthrup might have a mini suite from the description of "all it is is a larger bathroom".

That's not a real suite, of course, so they wouldn't be dealing with any Butler/concierge extra tips, just the regular room steward.

??

(If so, this is another example of why NCL *really* should call the "mini suite" a "deluxe balcony". Then passengers aren't getting confused, and don't expect "suite perks", if/when booking a mini suite... and also understand that real suites do have assistance of staff who are *not* in the regular gratuity pool.)

Butler brings the food to your room and serves it on a white table cloth. For breakfast, there is a breakfast card with check boxes. Ignore the check boxes and write in your order for anything from the Main Dining Room or Suites restaurant. Eggs over easy, filet steak, mushrooms, grilled tomato, bacon, ham, hash browns, omelets with fillings of your choice, breads, fresh fruit, juices, and a diet pepsi.

BEST ADVICE EVER !!! I don't think most suite guests even think of this. The 1st day I used the checkboxes, but seriously 1 order of bacon is like 2 slices, try doing that math while loaded, talked to our butler and he said write whatever you want I will get it for you. Suggest you tip more for that level of service.

It sounds like DNorthrup might have a mini suite from the description of "all it is is a larger bathroom".

That's not a real suite, of course, so they wouldn't be dealing with any Butler/concierge extra tips, just the regular room steward.

??

On the plus side, DNorthrup didn't stiff the butler and concierge. :D

When we upsold to a suite, our daily service charge went from $13.50 to $15.50 per person. I figured that part of that must go to the butler.

Our butler noticed that I requested more brown sugar packets on the first day, so she always made sure that those and the coffee pods were always stocked (we drank a lot of coffee since we had a lot more sea days than originally anticipated). She also brought us DVDs from the library, including some that were checked back in after we requested them.

Oh yes, and two bowls of Peanut AND mini M&Ms :D

When we upsold to a suite, our daily service charge went from $13.50 to $15.50 per person. I figured that part of that must go to the butler.

Butlers and Concierge are not included in the DSC. If you have a butler, you are expected to tip them separately.

Another example of why NCL has to stop calling these cabins mini suites. They should be designated as DELUXE BALCONIES. Why they refuse to do this is baffling to me.

Edited by jpcdds6

??

(If so, this is another example of why NCL *really* should call the "mini suite" a "deluxe balcony". Then passengers aren't getting confused, and don't expect "suite perks", if/when booking a mini suite... and also understand that real suites do have assistance of staff who are *not* in the regular gratuity pool.)

If this is the case I agree 100%.

Our butler noticed that I requested more brown sugar packets on the first day, so she always made sure that those and the coffee pods were always stocked (we drank a lot of coffee since we had a lot more sea days than originally anticipated). She also brought us DVDs from the library, including some that were checked back in after we requested them.

Seriously? You think $2 x2 is an adequate tip for the butler??? Sounds like you had a good one too.

The $2 increase for the daily service charge is because the suite is larger and the room attendant has more work to do in the suites.

While being in a suite is Fabulous I've had very different levels of service from the butler & concierge. Therefore, I tipped accordingly. I know they work hard and always deserve something but those that go above & beyond get more from me.

While being in a suite is Fabulous I've had very different levels of service from the butler & concierge. Therefore, I tipped accordingly. I know they work hard and always deserve something but those that go above & beyond get more from me.

That's fair. I agree with you. It is not realistic to say this is the amount I tip. Period. Things vary.

I know beforehand what I plan to tip for a "poor, fair, good, great or outstanding" butler, concierge and steward.

I budget for great service. Then on the cruise I adjust each tip according to the service I receive. If my service is outstanding and I wish to tip a little more than I budgeted I'll pull it out of my contingency. And I love to do that… Because that means my cruise was even more outstanding then I'd hoped for. Money well spent.

The $2 increase for the daily service charge is because the suite is larger and the room attendant has more work to do in the suites.

IMO that is an assumption. When NCL raised the DSC twice in a short period in early 2015 no one really has been given a reason from NCL directly to explain the difference, at least from all the threads I've read. As many things as they raised the price on and things they eliminated in 2015 and forward could certainly be just to squeeze that extra $5 from each cruiser that they did announce to the press.

IMO that is an assumption. When NCL raised the DSC twice in a short period in early 2015 no one really has been given a reason from NCL directly to explain the difference, at least from all the threads I've read. As many things as they raised the price on and things they eliminated in 2015 and forward could certainly be just to squeeze that extra $5 from each cruiser that they did announce to the press.

The fact still remains butlers and concierge are not part of the DSC.