A Cruise Choice Conundrum – Advice Please

waiheke

We have never been on a cruise before but are planning to go in 2015 from Rome to Venice. There are two cruises that seem to fit or timetable, One Regent Seven Seas 10 Night Italian Discovery on the Seven Seas Mariner Concierge Suite - E ($8829 pp) and the other Holland America Line 11-Night Adriatic Dream on the ms Zuiderdam Neptune Suites, Deluxe Verandah Suites ($5399 pp)

We are trying to compare apples with apples so we chose accommodation on both ships that offered a Concierge service.

As far as I can understand the difference between the two companies is that RSS price is all inclusive and HAL we have to pay extra for many things. Such as:

Pre cruise hotel RSS $0, HAL say $300

9 Shore Excursions at say $150 pp RSS $0, HAL $1350

Tipping at say $12 per day RSS $0, HAL $120

Wine and drinks at say $70 per day RSS $0, HAL $700

Hire Tux RSS Not Required, HAL say $150

So taking all this into consideration the difference between the two companies is only about $800 pp. (Or have we missed something here?)

So I suppose it comes down to advice from CC members who have knowledge of both Companies and or Ships is one significantly better than the other especially for first timers like us.

Thank you in advance for your help.

It's difficult to compare the two as HAL is a premium line whereas Regent is a luxury line. If price isn't an issue, I would definitely recommend Regent. The service will be better on Regent, the attention to detail higher and the meals superb.

Haven't been on either line, but you may want to check dress guidelines on the HAL site. According to their cruise planning FAQ page, this is what is suggested to pack for formal evenings: On formal nights women usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and men wear a jacket and tie, dark suit, or tuxedo.

So if it's a matter that you don't have a tux, it looks like you can still wear a suit or even a jacket/tie. Whether or not you'll be in the minority or not, you can ask on the HAL board here (but remember CC members are just a small percentage of those going on cruises). It could be that because it's an European cruise, it might lean to the formal. Or now that flight luggage often costs extra, it might not.

As to shore excursions, it's not a requirement to always purchase an excursion at all in most ports worldwide. Often passengers do for convenience sake, but some are great planners and DIY a lot. If these are places you haven't been to, you may prefer to have others take care of.

If money is not an object, I'd recommend going on Seven Seas. But if you're balking a bit at the price, then I'd suggest scaling back your cabin category on the HAL ship. Do you really need a suite? We're fine in a verandah cabin--especially on a port-intensive cruise such as this itinerary is.

We have never been on a cruise before but are planning to go in 2015 from Rome to Venice. There are two cruises that seem to fit or timetable, One Regent Seven Seas 10 Night Italian Discovery on the Seven Seas Mariner Concierge Suite - E ($8829 pp) and the other Holland America Line 11-Night Adriatic Dream on the ms Zuiderdam Neptune Suites, Deluxe Verandah Suites ($5399 pp)

We are trying to compare apples with apples so we chose accommodation on both ships that offered a Concierge service.

As far as I can understand the difference between the two companies is that RSS price is all inclusive and HAL we have to pay extra for many things. Such as:

Pre cruise hotel RSS $0, HAL say $300

9 Shore Excursions at say $150 pp RSS $0, HAL $1350

Tipping at say $12 per day RSS $0, HAL $120

Wine and drinks at say $70 per day RSS $0, HAL $700

Hire Tux RSS Not Required, HAL say $150

So taking all this into consideration the difference between the two companies is only about $800 pp. (Or have we missed something here?)

So I suppose it comes down to advice from CC members who have knowledge of both Companies and or Ships is one significantly better than the other especially for first timers like us.

Forgot the cost of specialty restaurants, air credit, OBC, et al.

Real bottom line comparison will surprise you and if you use Oceania instead of Regent for the comparison with HAL you'll really be surprised at the value of premium lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic Waiheke.

If money is not an issue then Regent Seven Seas Mariner is hands down the best option. Seven Seas are at the top of the heap among luxury travels, the Mariner is a beautiful ship, brimming with elegant public spaces, the service will top-notch and the food likely outstanding.

The Mariner will be a much more intimate feeling, with more attention to detail and individualized assistance from the crew. The Mariner caters to 732 passengers compared to 1,800 on the Holland America Line's Zuiderdam.

We love Holland America Line and have cruised on several of there ships but, given the choice between the two the Seven Seas is the clear winner.

There is nothing better than a suite on the high seas, except I suppose a bigger suite. You will experience top drawer attention, special cocktail and dinner invitations with officers, many perks and likely a special concierge lounge.

You will learn much more about Regent and the Seven Seas Mariner on the Regent boards at Cruise Critic here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=176

Enjoy your cruise.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

1. I agree it is all about the ports on a Mediterranean cruise. What are the ports? How long in each port? Are you in port on a day museums are closed? Look at the itinerary carefully.

2. There is no need to take pricey ship excursions so you can take that out of your equation.

There are perhaps ships that are a happy medium between these two. Look at lines such as Celebrity, Oceana and Azamara.

Edited by maryann ns

Pre cruise hotel RSS $0, HAL say $300 Total for 2 people = $300

9 Shore Excursions at say $150 pp RSS $0, HAL $1350 Total for 2 people = $2700

Tipping at say $12 per day RSS $0, HAL $120 Total for 2 people = $12 x 11 x 2 = $264

Wine and drinks at say $70 per day RSS $0, HAL $700 Are you big drinkers? HAL allows you to preorder liquor and wine for your cabin. They have several wine packages for the dining room too. $700 for 2 people

Hire Tux RSS Not Required, HAL say $150 Tux not required on HAL either.

So taking all this into consideration the difference between the two companies is only about $800 pp. I get a difference of $2000 pp. (Or have we missed something here?)

I think your math might be a little off. HAL's suites are quite expensive compared to their other cabins. If you are planning to book a suite it is worthwhile to check out RSSC or Oceania. If you are trying to save money, a lower category cabin will save you a lot of money.

I have cruised both lines and they are both very good. BUT...Regent is an all inclusive line and you might find HAL more expensive overall. Many excursions and almost all liquor will be included along with all gratuities on Regent. Cabins are larger on Regent although I have never been in a top suite on HAL.

But if the ports on one or the other are different, choose the line that takes you where YOU want to go.

I have been on Zuiderdam and I was on Mariner's sister ship, the SS Navigator. For that long of a cruise, I recommend the Neptune Suite on Zuiderdam. Service was excellent on Regent and I thought the regent ship was better maintained with more attention to detail but after a few days, the ship got boring. Even though port intensive, you're still on the ship every evening so it's nice to have a choice in activites, shows and entertainment. Plus, the Neptune Suite is really nice. Both would be great, but I would lean toward Zuiderdam.

Forgot the cost of specialty restaurants, air credit, OBC, et al.

Real bottom line comparison will surprise you and if you use Oceania instead of Regent for the comparison with HAL you'll really be surprised at the value of premium lines.

This may "muddy the waters" a little for the OP's comparison. We are researching an Oceania Med cruise right now and while it does seem like good value for an upscale experience, it's nowhere near all-inclusive. Oceania fares DO NOT include:

• transfers and/or pre-cruise hotels
  • shore excursions
  • gratuities
  • alcohol

About the only extra things that ARE included over a mainstream line is:

• airfare (or air credit)
  • no-fee specialty dining

Edited by ronandannette

This may "muddy the waters" a little for the OP's comparison. We are researching an Oceania Med cruise right now and while it does seem like good value for an upscale experience, it's nowhere near all-inclusive. Oceania fares DO NOT include:

•  
  • transfers and/or pre-cruise hotels

• shore excursions

• gratuities

• alcohol

About the only extra things that ARE included over a mainstream line is:

•  
  • airfare (or air credit)

• no-fee specialty dining

You forgot all non-alcoholic beverages in the base comparison. And then there are the qualitative things like being spared the incessant PA announcements, photographers, mediocre bedding and toiletries, rubber chicken catering, etc

There are some 2015 O med cruises that have additional included amenities (from O) minimally including gratuities (currently about $30/couple/day) with some also including internet and O OBC.

The big missing O item is free alcohol. But to do a price comparison, figure in $120 per day extra for a couple doing the "prestige" liquor package.

Lastly, on the O list, is that excursions are extra though it should be noted that the "all inclusive" lines with "free" excursions do charge for the "premium" excursions.

If you want to compare mass market to premium to luxury, make a spreadsheet that includes standard and optional items (including the actual cost of the air tix vs the credit since O will provide the flight that mass market won't). And do it for the specific time of year, trip duration and geographic area you are considering.

Though there will be some specific trips where HAL or Celebrity may cost less per day than O, many desirable itineraries will cost out about even. Add TA OBC or special TA/O deals and O may even be cheaper. On the other hand, if you add all the non-standard options to O to compare with Regent's all inclusive, you will find O to be less expensive. AND.the qualitative items mentioned above will be the same.

Premium lines are a great way to get quality with customization.

Appreciated that you've tried to compare apples with apples, but they're two very different cruise lines and the standard of cabin is just one factor.

As other posters' comments, is the itinerary important to you?

In, say, the Caribbean many folk treat the ship itself as the destination and the ports are secondary.

But the itinerary is usually a big factor with Mediterranean cruises. You've not mentioned the differences, so perhaps they're very similar or perhaps you've not considered them.

Ports on one cruise that appeal more than the other?

Same number of port calls, or does one have more sea-days?

And length of time in port?

Any rather pointless & frustrating half-days?

Any ports where you'll have the chance to experience the night-time? Venice is a bustling place, chockablock with tourists. But when the sun's gone down & the trippers have departed, it's quiet & peaceful & reflective.

You've figured the value to you of the inclusive drinks, and that makes sense. Different folk will come up with higher or lower figures, depending on their own drinking habits. And depending how many sea-days.

But, as a previous comment, the same applies to ship's excursions. Other cruisers would put the value of included excursions at anywhere between zero and $1350, depending whether they want the expense, or experience, of ships' tours.

Since you're a first-time cruiser you may want the simplicity & safety of ships' excursions rather than privately-arranged excursions, or DIY using local buses, trains, metro, ferries, etc. But if you've travelled in Europe before, or if you have a bit of adventure in you, or you just want a laid-back experience exploring at your own pace, you'd find using the vaporettos in Venice or mixing with the locals on foot in Rome more suited to you than ships' tours which, with the greatest of respect, are inevitably a bit of a cattle-drive. Horses for courses, and a difference between being a traveller and a tourist.

Bear in mind too that your inclusive drinks and your concierge cabin are of no value daytime virtually every day because you'll be ashore.

In the Med I wouldn't spend extra for an extra-special cabin. Balcony is nice, Ocean-view is good enough on this sort of itinerary, or even go "inside" & spend the difference on other things.

But a concierge cabin? Nah, not unless money were no object.

I'm not trying to point you in either direction.

Regent would give you a better experience, but the price difference may be a good deal greater than you've calculated.

Have fun choosin', have fun cruisin'

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thank you everyone for all the replies, it gives us first timers much to consider. We have reviewed our original thoughts, which were based purely on brochures and no personal experience. So at the moment plan B is:

1. Probably going for the HAL trip because the price difference compared to RSS is almost enough to cover a follow up coach tour in Europe.

2. We are looking at a lower grade of cabin, (but still want a window). Based on the fact, as pointed out by JB, most of the time will be spent either ashore or as first timers, exploring the ship, so will not really make much use of the better facilities, included drinks etc.

3. We can book out own pre and post cruise accommodation no need of the included hotels offered by the higher level of cabin.

So that's the thinking as of today but please keep the ideas coming, next year is a long way off and plans can change C, D, E.................

Thank You

I think you will be happy with your decision.

Since you asked, here are some more suggestions:

Once you choose a cruise join your roll call. You might find other people to help plan and/or share independent tours.

Go to the ports of call boards and go to Europe http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19. You can then search for the ports you will be visiting and see peoples feedback on their tours and whether they did it on our own. You may save some more money on tours, but Europe is very expensive.

Ask specific questions.

3. We can book out own pre and post cruise accommodation no need of the included hotels offered by the higher level of cabin.

Thank You

I don't want to tar all cruise-line arranged hotels with the same brush, but it does seem that some arrangers aren't great at geography. :rolleyes:

Or is it because they have their "preferred hotel partners"?

Location is by far the major factor for those with limited stays & no personal transport, but I've heard of some woefully-located ship-arranged hotels in ports around the world, literally hours from the sights & sometimes without decent local transport.

Good hotels, but all-too-often totally unsuited to the circumstances.

Definitely book your own, with location & transport at the top of the list.

You'll get a good range of information & reviews on TripAdvisor or my own favourite http://www.booking.com which doesn't always offer the best rates but is a mine of info, photos, accurate mapping, and lots of genuine reviews - enough for you to disregard reviews from the easily-pleased or the nit-pickers .

With coach tours, do check the luggage limitations. You may have to store some while touring. No big deal if the coach tour ends at its starting location

A balcony is great, though it depends on the price difference compared to ocean-view. Once you've had a balcony cabin you'll want one every time, but as first-timers you'll not be aware of that. So mebbe try a balcony on some future cruise.

In ocean-view cabins, the window (sometimes portholes on lower decks, but brochures usually differentiate between the two) doesn't open. But it does provide natural light, you can tell whether you're in port or at sea, whether it's fine or wet weather, whether it's dark or daylight.

Inside cabins can be claustrophobic and dis-orientating, they are to me but not to others.

Some ocean-view have restricted view, the brochures will tell you that & the prices are a little lower. The restriction is nearly always a lifeboat, and it usually dominates the view.

Which particular restricted-view cabins have less obstruction than others is a matter of luck or inside-knowledge. I grimace every time anyone asks how restricted is the view in cabin 654321 on ship XYZ. Very very few will have occupied that cabin, even fewer will remember their cabin number :rolleyes:

If the view is important to you, don't cheapskate a few dollars on a restricted-view cabin.

I think we all agree that you're heading in the right direction :)

JB :)