Can we walk luggage on board Allure

Husney

Does anyone know if we would be able to walk our luggage on board to Allure. I know we can walk it off. It would be great to not have to wait for it to be delivered to unpack. Thanks.

It has to be able to fit through the small scanner machines like the ones they have at security at the airport.

I don't know when you plan to board the ship, but your cabin may not be available for you to go to immediately, and then you will have to drag your luggage (assuming it fits through the small scanner machine) prior to boarding.

My suggestion -- Pack a small carryon/backpack, with your valuables and some pool wear/needs and leave the rest of the luggage to the porters for delivery to your cabin.

Does anyone know if we would be able to walk our luggage on board to Allure. I know we can walk it off. It would be great to not have to wait for it to be delivered to unpack. Thanks.

only if it fits inside the scanners( same size as your local airport)

furthermore the cabins are not available until 1 pm most times so do you want to be stuck schlepping many bags around with you ?

The answer is YES. We tried this method a few cruises ago ( for a 4 night so we each had just a small roll suitcase anyway) and it was a pain. We boarded before noon, had to drag the suitcase around the ship for nearly 2 hours. As we didn't want to wait for elevators, we had to carry them up steps.

We usually carry swimsuits with us so we thought the idea of the suitcases would be more convenient. WRONG

OK - so we unpacked at 2:00 instead of 4:00 ( when we usually get luggage) . We found the disadvantage of dragging it around to really outweigh the advantage of unpacking 2 hours earlier.

Now OP - if you plan to board after 1 or 1:30 I would suggest trying it, as the cabin will be ready.

Good luck

M

We try to every cruise- the only time we've not been able to was our most recent one out of Boston. But that was due to the smaller inspection crew limiting everyone to a single bag- regardless of size.

We also solve the "dragging around" problem by showing up to the ship at 12:30 or so- which puts us on the ship at 1-1:30. Nominal wait or straight to the cabin and we are all set.

One note- the number of bags are not restricted when carrying on the ship, unlike flying where you have one overhead and one under seat bag and that's it. We typically use a third bag with some wet (running) clothes when we board. Never had a problem with that.

So IF you carry on for flying, carrying on for sailing is just as easy. We'll keep doing it, for sure.

Carrying on small pieces of baggage is fine, as long as it's able to be scanned in their machine. As long as you don't mind lugging the stuff around until you can access your cabin, it's cool. Just don't bring all that stuff to the Windjammer... I've seen a few near-miss accidents. :eek:

Thanks everyone. We will not be arriving to the ship until about 1ish so thought it might be a good idea to try. Unfortunately, I don't think it will fit the scanner. In our over 20+ cruises we have always carried on a small carry on with bathing suit and clothes to change; guess we will just keep that up. Last time we were on Oasis our bags didn't show until 8 PM and really wanted to get everything hung up as we take early flights ont he day of embarkation and want to keep wrinkles at bay!!

It has to be able to fit through the small scanner machines like the ones they have at security at the airport.

Not true. They can ASK you to check it if it's bigger. But if you insist on taking it on board, they will let you. I NEVER check my bags with the porter anymore. They screwed me two years ago on Oasis when the porters refused to take my golf clubs (packed in a travel bag that airlines will check), instead forcing me to lug the thing all the way up to my loft. Some nonsense about Royal refusing to handle them over concerns of being liable for damage.

Well, if they're only willing to take the luggage they want to take, I'm only inclined to give them the luggage I want to give them. No waiting for the luggage delivery for me!

Not true. They can ASK you to check it if it's bigger. But if you insist on taking it on board, they will let you. I NEVER check my bags with the porter anymore. They screwed me two years ago on Oasis when the porters refused to take my golf clubs (packed in a travel bag that airlines will check), instead forcing me to lug the thing all the way up to my loft. Some nonsense about Royal refusing to handle them over concerns of being liable for damage.

Well, if they're only willing to take the luggage they want to take, I'm only inclined to give them the luggage I want to give them. No waiting for the luggage delivery for me!

So.....if your luggage is too big for the scanner in the terminal how do they handle that?

So.....if your luggage is too big for the scanner in the terminal how do they handle that?

I haven't seen that happen. Obviously, I'm not going to try and carry a footlocker on board. But I have never been stopped from bringing a full size suitcase on board. I believe some of the scanners have a cover on the front they can lift open to accommodate larger bags.

I haven't seen that happen. Obviously, I'm not going to try and carry a footlocker on board. But I have never been stopped from bringing a full size suitcase on board. I believe some of the scanners have a cover on the front they can lift open to accommodate larger bags.

Not sure where you usually cruise from but in Port Canaveral they will not let you past the terminal door with luggage that does not fit through the scanner.

I was turned around with an oversized "carry-on" that I thought was within the regulations......no way would I have gotten through with a full size suitcase.

That's why I was a bit confused how you were able to get through.....

Not sure where you usually cruise from but in Port Canaveral they will not let you past the terminal door with luggage that does not fit through the scanner.

I was turned around with an oversized "carry-on" that I thought was within the regulations......no way would I have gotten through with a full size suitcase.

Duh, he said he was in a suite. Concierge must have arranged it. Suites come first. :D Apologies to another thread. :o

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Duh, he said he was in a suite. Concierge must have arranged it. Suites come first. :D Apologies to another thread. :o

Ohhhhh....I remember that thread........sorry......didn't know suites were that special.......LOL.....;)

Edited by GTO-Girl

Generally I have sailed out of Port Everglades. But regardless, once they refused to take my golf clubs, I lost interest in their supposed "requirements" I have once had someone tell me I needed to check a bag. I politely told him I wasn't going to do that, and that since they saw fit to let me lug my golf clubs on without help, it was not unreasonable that I choose to carry my roller bag aboard too. He acquiesced.

Generally I have sailed out of Port Everglades. But regardless, once they refused to take my golf clubs, I lost interest in their supposed "requirements" I have once had someone tell me I needed to check a bag. I politely told him I wasn't going to do that, and that since they saw fit to let me lug my golf clubs on without help, it was not unreasonable that I choose to carry my roller bag aboard too. He acquiesced.

So do you set your own rules at the airport too?

Seems to me that all large luggage definately needs to be scanned for security purposes. Not sure I'm comfortable with someone being able to set their own rules if their large bag cannot be properly scanned.....:(

How safe is that for everyone else onboard?

So do you set your own rules at the airport too?

Seems to me that all large luggage definately needs to be scanned for security purposes. Not sure I'm comfortable with someone being able to set their own rules if their large bag cannot be properly scanned.....:(

How safe is that for everyone else onboard?

Who said anything about it not being scanned? It all goes right through the scanner as you go through the metal detector.

In eighty cruises I have never been denied carrying on my suitcase. Airline checked baggage standard maximum linear size (height + length + width) is typically 62 inches. I have yet to see a port that would not allow you to walk on a bag this size. I have a number of times taken a 26 inch rolling TravelPro suitcase (56 linear inches) on at Port Canaveral. I have been told on occasion that I would have to check the bag, but I ignore the statement and put the bag on the belt and it goes right through the x-ray machine. Until I see actual reliable proof that a port can not accept an airline maximum standard checked bag, I'm not believing it.

Thom

PS Normally I travel with just a bag which meets airline carry-on standards, but if I'm taking both tux and sport coat that bumps me up to the 26 inch rollerboard.

For those concerned with leaving your bag while you eat lunch, consider that your checked bag is passing through many hands in concealed areas both ashore and on the ship (most of them honest, but...:rolleyes:) and will then sit unguarded in the hall outside your stateroom.

In eighty cruises I have never been denied carrying on my suitcase. Airline checked baggage standard maximum linear size (height + length + width) is typically 62 inches. I have yet to see a port that would not allow you to walk on a bag this size. I have a number of times taken a 26 inch rolling TravelPro suitcase (56 linear inches) on at Port Canaveral. I have been told on occasion that I would have to check the bag, but I ignore the statement and put the bag on the belt and it goes right through the x-ray machine. Until I see actual reliable proof that a port can not accept an airline maximum standard checked bag, I'm not believing it.

Thom

PS Normally I travel with just a bag which meets airline carry-on standards, but if I'm taking both tux and sport coat that bumps me up to the 26 inch rollerboard.

For those concerned with leaving your bag while you eat lunch, consider that your checked bag is passing through many hands in concealed areas both ashore and on the ship (most of them honest, but...:rolleyes:) and will then sit unguarded in the hall outside your stateroom.

Well put! I think people are reading way too much into my comments. If they really asserted themselves, I wouldn't really make much of a stink. But the reality is that they encourage people to check their luggage so they're not struggling with bags up the gangway and the lifts. But as a healthy, able-bodied gentleman, with enough good sense to know what is manageable for me to carry, I am more than comfortable carrying my bag aboard.

In contrast, I most certainly WAS NOT comfortable lugging my golf clubs in their travel bag aboard. But RCI didn't seem too concerned for that!

The one I really think they should clamp down on is the people self-debarking who really shouldn't be. If you can't CARRY your bags off, then claim them in the terminal. Nothing I hate more than seeing someone behind me on the stairs struggling with too many bags. I'm always waiting for one of those suitcases to come tumbling down...

Well put! I think people are reading way too much into my comments. If they really asserted themselves, I wouldn't really make much of a stink. But the reality is that they encourage people to check their luggage so they're not struggling with bags up the gangway and the lifts. But as a healthy, able-bodied gentleman, with enough good sense to know what is manageable for me to carry, I am more than comfortable carrying my bag aboard.

In contrast, I most certainly WAS NOT comfortable lugging my golf clubs in their travel bag aboard. But RCI didn't seem too concerned for that!

The one I really think they should clamp down on is the people self-debarking who really shouldn't be. If you can't CARRY your bags off, then claim them in the terminal. Nothing I hate more than seeing someone behind me on the stairs struggling with too many bags. I'm always waiting for one of those suitcases to come tumbling down...

One slid down escalator this past Sunday