BOGO Sale

You Better Read The Fine Print!

If you booked your cruise with the BOGOHO pricing, then you CANNOT use the points for free cruise. You may ONLY use points for free cruise if you pay FULL PRICE for that cruise.:eek:

We got stabbed with this when I tried to use my points last year. RCI is destroying perks that they offer and then take away. :mad:

I have stopped using my BOA card, and I called BOA and told them that RCI is "Hosing Them". :rolleyes:

I just had a long conversation with a very friendly RCCL rep regarding this topic. She was very understanding when I expressed my frustration with the changes and restrictions, and said that they have been passing along our concerns to their supervisors. I told her that after I redeem my current 150,000 points I will be switching to a better (cash back) card. I was able to receive a free cruise two years ago with no problem at all, just paid $140 pp to upgrade to a balcony cabin (well worth it!)

I just had a long conversation with a very friendly RCCL rep regarding this topic. She was very understanding when I expressed my frustration with the changes and restrictions, and said that they have been passing along our concerns to their supervisors. I told her that after I redeem my current 150,000 points I will be switching to a better (cash back) card. I was able to receive a free cruise two years ago with no problem at all, just paid $140 pp to upgrade to a balcony cabin (well worth it!)

What's wrong with the other options they offer such as OBC? Do you not spend any money on the ship? If not, then no, that would not be a good alternative.

What's wrong with the other options they offer such as OBC? Do you not spend any money on the ship? If not, then no, that would not be a good alternative.

A free cruise for 125,000 points is a much better value (when they honor it) because they allow up to $2,500 toward your reservation. The amount is based on the lowest available OV at the time of booking. When I redeemed last time it was worth $2,300, I only paid $280 to upgrade to a D2 balcony. (taxes, port charges and difference in price). OBC for the same 125,000 points will be $1,200. We generally don't spend that much on board because our travel agent pays gratuities, gives us OBC and a specialty dinner for 2. Also, we aren't big drinkers and rarely book RCCL excursions. Right now, the best we can do is reduce our cost by $1,000 by redeeming 100,000 points. So, instead of getting a D2 for $280, we will have to spend about $1,100.

Edited by cruizeblues

Can't you request the "BOGO" just be removed? Appears that would solve the free cruise issue. Too simple I guess. Anyone have success with that route?

They will remove BOGO, and your price will go up 33%. You would have to determine if that would give you a better net cost than keeping the BOGO and using the redemption for a straight discount.

Edited by clarea

They will remove BOGO, and your price will go up 33%. You would have to determine if that would give you a better net cost than keeping the BOGO and using the redemption for a straight discount.

Just one data point, but for our March 2016 FOS cruise, if we have them remove the BOGO and then apply the 125,000 points, the minimum available OV cabin would be $2,456, and a D2 (what we have now) would be $3,407, so net of taxes and port fees our cost would end up at $1,000. The current BOGO net price on a D2 is $2,820, so the real value of the 125K is ~$1,800.

When we booked under the original BOGO, our total cost (all in) was ~$1,802:eek:

Waiting for the BOGO sale to end so I can cash in my BOA VISA points for a free cruise...is there any end in sight for this "sale" that is not really a sale??
You Better Read The Fine Print!

If you booked your cruise with the BOGOHO pricing, then you CANNOT use the points for free cruise. You may ONLY use points for free cruise if you pay FULL PRICE for that cruise.:eek:

I believe you will find that the OP is aware of that and is waiting for the BOGOHO sale to end.:D

Can't you request the "BOGO" just be removed? Appears that would solve the free cruise issue. Too simple I guess. Anyone have success with that route?

Yes, I just did that today. It was a little bit cheaper ($60) to remove the BOGO and then use the free cruise than it was to keep the BOGO and take $500 off. (This was for a 3 day Bahamas cruise). I went through a travel agent and they needed to call Royal to figure it out, but it was suggested to my by the people at the "My Cruise Points" redemption call center. As far as I can figure, the best value is when the difference between the minimum OV and the room you want is the smallest.

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

This is why we have stopped using the RCCL credit card. Thanks to suggestions on this board, we are using the Barclay Arrival and it is a much better value.

same here, switched to the Barclay's Arriva Plus. yes I pay $89 a year for it, but get 2 points for every dollar spend, not just royal. We charge everything and pay it off every month so the annual fee pays for itself very quickly. Can redeem it for any travel, not just Royal. And when used for travel, they immediately give you 5% of the redemption points back

Other thing I love about the new card is points are instant. The minute I spend the $$, the points show up. When I redeem them it is immediate

Not like Royal where I redeemed the last of my Royal points for OBC months ago and am still waiting for them to get applied to my Oct and Nov cruise. It is a pain to have to keep checking to see if they finally put the points on.

As soon as my final Royal points are done, I will cancel the cards or take them down to the lowest $ limit I can. Will probably just cancel as the hit to my credit score will be minimal. Have not used the Royal cards in months-as soon as I found out they were going to restrict the free companion fares, the card became worthless to me.

Edited by karena1

Waiting for the BOGO sale to end so I can cash in my BOA VISA points for a free cruise...is there any end in sight for this "sale" that is not really a sale??

MORE BS SALE.As long as people continue to buy cruises,why should they stop the BS SALES.They are laughing on the way to the bank.:eek:

This is why we have stopped using the RCCL credit card. Thanks to suggestions on this board, we are using the Barclay Arrival and it is a much better value.

You're so right. Most of the websites that rate cruise line affiliated cards give them poor marks and suggest other cards. The arrival card is highly rated.

What I like best about cash back cards is the fact that cash can always be combined with any other offer.

And, cash can be used on any cruise line. You're not locked in to a specific line.

Edited by RocketMan275

I dumped my RCI card a long time ago ......yes I did enjoy my first 100-300 OBC....cash back & mile cards have always brought me more. Look at it this way 150,000 points on a cash back would yield you 1500. dollars that you can spend on anything you want.

Edited by land lover

While we kept our BOA card, we only use it to pay for RCL cruises, always pay off the balance each month, and use the points for OBC or price reductions when we get enough to cash in.

We use an Amazon Visa for everything else. 3 points for Amazon purchases, 2 points on gas, and one point on everything else.

AMEX Cash preferred get 6% on groceries, 3% on gas and dept stores and 1% on everything else. there's nothing better than cold hard cash! (there's a $75 yearly fee but it easily pays for that)

I like this card the best

Can't beat Chase Southwest either.

Get it when they are giving 50,000 points to your rapid rewards account. Charge $2000 in the first 90 days to get the points worth $700 - $800. There is a $59-$99 annual fee.

Edited by SeaUs

You only get 1% value that way - many other cards give MUCH MORE back.

I believe you will find that the OP is aware of that and is waiting for the BOGOHO sale to end.:D

And for "Patti, The Corrector";

He BOOKED his cruise using the BOGOHO, and NOW he wants the sale to be over so he can use his points.;)

Edited by DHADEN