When was your 1st cruise and how much you pay for it?

SRQfireman

I did a search and couldn't find anything similar to this.......so here goes.....

So not only price you paid, but what was the ship and cabin type (some of you may need to burn some brain cells to come up with this :D )

My first cruise was April 1987 on the (original) Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam......I think we paid in the neighborhood of about $599 pp for pretty much an entry level inside cabin.

I'm thinking that in the price was the port taxes of about ? $39pp and Gov't taxes of probably like $15pp.......those are a little different now. :cool:

As a sidebar, has anybody gone through the Panama Canal in the last year or so? For a 10 night cruise, you're looking at about $600pp for both of those taxes !! (give or take depending on the cruise line) They're going to have that new canal paid off in no time......do the math......how much they making off that ship ? :eek: Mind boogling

We booked our first cruise as I was researching a trip to Hawaii for the family (of five including grandma).....airfaire alone was going to be $3500 bucks in 2003....so we booked two cabins (balcony and inside across the hall) on Princess Diamond for $4700 bucks. Our boys were 10yrs at the time and everyone had the best vacation ever.....even during "spring break"....as I remember there were around 800 kids on board. That does not bother you when you own two of them.....:)

Our first cruise was in 1977 on NCL, but I can't remember the cost. Our first cruise with RCI was in 1980 on Nordic Prince, a 14 day out of Miami. It cost $1717 pp for an outside cabin on deck 3. The price included air, LA to Miami, and an overnight in the Everglades Hotel close to the cruise dock. We consider it the best cruise we have ever taken.

My first one was just this past New Year's! We got married on Carnival Breeze on New Year's Eve. Cost (for cruise only) was $979pp for balcony and the port fees were about $100pp. We are doing an anniversary cruise that is NOT even on the holiday, but it is way more expensive than that one was because it's on the Allure! Can't wait!!

Our first cruise was in Jan 2005 on Radiance of the Seas in a balcony cabin - a D2 I think?? I believe it was in the neighborhood of $850pp, including the port charges and tax. Great cruise from Miami to the Eastern Caribbean!! (It took us only about 24 hours aboard Radiance to make the transition from 'cruise virgins' to 'cruise sluts.' Our definition of 'cruise slut' is anybody who is willing to spend a lot of time online looking for cruise bargains because they MUST cruise again.:p)

We cruised the Panama Canal on Legend of the Seas in April this year, and the port charges/tax were $302.83 per person on our invoice. There were 6 ports, plus the day going through the canal. Legend's tab for the canal passage was somewhere around $300k+. The toll is based on the length & tonnage of the ship, plus there is a per berth fee which must be paid for the total number of berths on the ship, no matter if all the berths are filled or not. The new part was still under construction in April - we could see it across the way from our transit lane. So when we were there, only 32 ships per day could get through using the two existing lanes of the canal, and passenger ships take precedence over other types of vessels. It took Legend about 8 hours to make the transit through all the locks.

An interesting bit of PC trivia…the lowest toll ever paid to transit the canal was 36 cents in 1928. A guy named Richard Halliburton, whose length was about 5'7" and whose 'tonnage' was about 145 lb, paid 36 cents to swim the Panama Canal. Probably the toll for swimming it would still be a bargain today, but having seen that water, I sure wouldn't get in it!:eek:

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

1988. Emerald Seas, too! It was a very funny ship. You couldn't walk from one end to the other on the same deck. I seem to recall the dining room was in the middle forcing you to go up and over or down and around.

This ship started a very expensive addiction...#69 scheduled for the maiden of Quantum in November.

My first cruise was 1975 on Windjammer Fantome.

No cruise director, no excursions, no entertainment, one seating for meals, no crowds. It was an awesome two weeks.

I don't remember the cost but I was in my early 20's so it couldn't have been that much for me to afford it.

July 30th, 2006 Mariner of the Seas, D2 Balconey. I think we paid around $1500/pp, plus taxes and fees. Seems like the the whole thing was just under $3300 for 2 of us. Didn't go on another cruise until 2011, been on 4 since then with 2 more booked this year ;).

Our first cruise, was on the Home Lines "Oceanic" and paid $225 per for an inside stateroom--It was big, with the cocktail table bolted into the floor. 7 day cruise and left from New York to Nassau.

You got a great buy on that cruise! I just loved that ship!

Our first cruise was 30 years on the Home Lines, Oceanic for 7 night to Bermuda, in the month of April, neither one us remembers the cost. I do remember we had a port hole, a bathtub and a red velvet couch and red shag carpeting. On the last night of the cruise we hit such a bad storm and I was so seasick, I told my husband, I just wanted to be left alone to die. So glad I tried cruising again a year later and we've been cruising ever since.

Mine was in 1991 on the Big Red Boat. The cost was $299. + port charges that were about the same. I remember thinking "why don't they include the port charges so they don't seem to be so much!" It was an inside cabin. I never had a balcony until my 30th cruise.

I did a search and couldn't find anything similar to this.......so here goes.....

So not only price you paid, but what was the ship and cabin type (some of you may need to burn some brain cells to come up with this :D )

My first cruise was April 1987 on the (original) Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam......I think we paid in the neighborhood of about $599 pp for pretty much an entry level inside cabin.

I'm thinking that in the price was the port taxes of about ? $39pp and Gov't taxes of probably like $15pp.......those are a little different now. :cool:

As a sidebar, has anybody gone through the Panama Canal in the last year or so? For a 10 night cruise, you're looking at about $600pp for both of those taxes !! (give or take depending on the cruise line) They're going to have that new canal paid off in no time......do the math......how much they making off that ship ? :eek: Mind boogling

I just realized I didn't put down the length of the cruise......that way you can put into prospective the amount of money versus the # of nights.....

That HAL one we took was a 7 nighter

Our first cruise was in in 1975 on Holland America's Rotterdam out of NY . . . $400 pp. Those were the days when you were still able to have Bon Voyage parties aboard. We were in an inside and compared to today's inside cabins, the Rotterdam was more like a closet with bunk beds. Every night was like a formal night with gowns or cocktail dresses. Great times!!

Edited by MareT