Captains Table

blackpool belle

Captains, Hotel Directors, Chief Engineers, Guest Relations Managers, Security Officer...... we've dined with all and without exception they are wonderful hosts and have

terrific stories to tell. Oh the places they have been, the things they have seen, the people they have met.

If you ever have the opportunity to dine with an Officer, by all means look forward to it and enjoy.

AND they always generously treat the table to lovely wines. :)

A few times...maybe because we were top tier repeaters level? Maybe because on a line with Italian officers, we speak Italian? Once we were told "they" look at the photos taken when embarking and choose folks who look like they are "fun" people?

A few times...maybe because we were top tier repeaters level? Maybe because on a line with Italian officers, we speak Italian? Once we were told "they" look at the photos taken when embarking and choose folks who look like they are "fun" people?

Well that's interesting. I have been on 34 cruises and have never been invited to dine with the captain. I always smile in the pictures and wear nice clothes too!!! I think I look like a fun person.

So how do they really pick people to invite??

Edited by Marie51

The only time we've dined with an officer was on a HAL ship. The ship's doctor and his wife joined our table on the second formal night. They explained that HAL likes to have officers dine with passengers on the formal nights. Our table just happened to have two extra places at it all week, so that is how we lucked out to get them to join us. HAL provided the wine for the meal, but we had the regular menu to choose from for our food.

One of these days we hope to make it to the most-traveled passenger luncheons on Princess. I think they invite the top 40 (in terms of number of days traveled on Princess) for those.

Well that's interesting. I have been on 34 cruises and have never been invited to dine with the captain. I always smile in the pictures and wear nice clothes too!!! I think I look like a fun person.

So how do they really pick people to invite??

I have no chance then because I never have a boarding picture taken.

We have dined with the Captain's on several lines including RCI, Celebrity and Princess. One time we actually declined (on RCI) because we had friends with us who were on their first cruise and decided not to leave them at dinner for the hired help. :). But that was resolved when the Dining Room manager arranged for our friends to also sit at the Captain's table (it is a long story). For those that wonder, we are certainly not VIPs and have never requested to dine with the Captain. We do not book suites or do anything special to get the invites. It just happens (and we have actually turned down a couple of invites). Being frequent and long time cruisers may play a part, but we are usually not the folks with the most days on any cruise (because we spread out our cruising over 14 cruise lines). On one occasion we happened to be friends with the Dining Room Manager (he had been our waiter on that same line many years earlier) and on Celebrity it has happened because we get along with a couple of the Captain's Club Hosts/Hostesses.

One reverse situation happened on a long cruise (62 days) on HAL when we invited the ship's Communication Officer (and his wife) (who are both friends of ours) to our table. HAL actually has a formal procedure for such situations where a passenger must make a formal request through Guest Relations. This procedure protects officers who might want to decline but do not want to disappoint passengers. It is easy for management to reject the invite by saying that the Officer has responsibilities that preclude him from being in the dining room at dinner time.

The most entertaining Captain is Demitrius Kafetsis who, when we dined with him. was the Captain of the Celebrity Silhouette. Captain Demitrius (which is what everyone calls him) is one of the funniest people I have ever met. In fact, we told him that if he needed a 2nd career the Tonight Show might be appropriate. On that same cruise, the Captain scheduled an afternoon lecture (during a sea day) on the ship's Navigation systems and planning. They did this lecture in the main theater (on a gorgeous day when most would love to be out on deck) and it was truly standing room only. We all came to hear his jokes....and were not disappointed. So how did we get the invite? We were doing back to back cruises (in the Med) and kept running into the Captain in the Lido at lunch, at Captain's Club functions, and just walking on deck. One evening at a Captain's club reception (these are normal things on Celebrity) Captain Demitrius looked at DW (as we were entering the room) and gave a big sigh...and then said, "you again." Then he laughed and said he loved passengers who did back to backs...and asked us to dine with him that same night.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have no chance then because I never have a boarding picture taken.

You Always take a boarding picture.

When you check in and they take your photo for your ID when boarding/disembarking the ship, that is the photo being referred to

here. :) It is not optional. You don't take the photo; you don't board.

The maitre de and chef organise the captains tables on ships so if you are not top cruiser status that often can end up with an invite

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every time we sailed Celebrity, we dined with the Captain. He usually had a larger table than they use on HAL and normally there was a party of at least 16 people. What is interesting the similarities how each cruise line follows similar procedure as to how the evening progresses through introductions, cocktails, walking to the Dining Room etc

On Celebrity, we were told the Hostess usually floats around the gangway and sailaway on Embarkation Day and spots people that might be invited. I don't know if that is true or not.

We've been given to understand there is no pattern as to how some cruise lines choose who they invite.

Sadly, because of some really rude behavior and inappropriate dress we have seen on those special evenings, Captains are hosting fewer tables these days. Some of the things I have heard guests say to Captains while dining stunned me to silence and silent is one thing I am never accused of. :)

As to dress, we've seen women arrive in jersey, pull on pants and sneakers. Who could blame an Officer who gets tired of such and chooses to host less often?

Other people may have had different experiences and that is fine but does not diminish my personal observations. I am quick to add the negative I described here is not common but nevertheless has happened more than I would expect.

On my last cruise, the Hotel Director was informed by my TA (a colleague of mine and a personal friend of the HD) I was onboard. It was a B2B cruise, and I was invited both times to dine at the Captain's table with all those high-rollers of the ship :-)

Great experience and even if you need to pay for it, worth every dime. The stories will last a lifetime :-)

On my last cruise, the Hotel Director was informed by my TA (a colleague of mine and a personal friend of the HD) I was onboard. It was a B2B cruise, and I was invited both times to dine at the Captain's table with all those high-rollers of the ship :-)

Great experience and even if you need to pay for it, worth every dime. The stories will last a lifetime :-)

There are plenty of places to hear merchant mariner "sea stories" without having to pay for it. If you want to pay for it, I suggest making a donation to a regional US maritime academy and dining with the officers at some special event. For example, you may be able to buy tix for the California Maritime Academy's fleet week cruise in October for $150/person, eat BBQ with the captain and take pix of the Blue Angels flying directly overhead the ship in the middle of SF Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pay for dinner with the captain? I thought the discussion was about being invited...

You Always take a boarding picture.

When you check in and they take your photo for your ID when boarding/disembarking the ship, that is the photo being referred to

here. :) It is not optional. You don't take the photo; you don't board.

My mistake..I thought the post was referring to the "say cheese" brigade . It goes without saying that you have to have an ID picture taken.

We have dined with the Captain's on several lines including RCI, Celebrity and Princess. One time we actually declined (on RCI) because we had friends with us who were on their first cruise and decided not to leave them at dinner for the hired help. :). But that was resolved when the Dining Room manager arranged for our friends to also sit at the Captain's table (it is a long story). For those that wonder, we are certainly not VIPs and have never requested to dine with the Captain. We do not book suites or do anything special to get the invites. It just happens (and we have actually turned down a couple of invites). Being frequent and long time cruisers may play a part, but we are usually not the folks with the most days on any cruise (because we spread out our cruising over 14 cruise lines). On one occasion we happened to be friends with the Dining Room Manager (he had been our waiter on that same line many years earlier) and on Celebrity it has happened because we get along with a couple of the Captain's Club Hosts/Hostesses.

One reverse situation happened on a long cruise (62 days) on HAL when we invited the ship's Communication Officer (and his wife) (who are both friends of ours) to our table. HAL actually has a formal procedure for such situations where a passenger must make a formal request through Guest Relations. This procedure protects officers who might want to decline but do not want to disappoint passengers. It is easy for management to reject the invite by saying that the Officer has responsibilities that preclude him from being in the dining room at dinner time.

The most entertaining Captain is Demitrius Kafetsis who, when we dined with him. was the Captain of the Celebrity Silhouette. Captain Demitrius (which is what everyone calls him) is one of the funniest people I have ever met. In fact, we told him that if he needed a 2nd career the Tonight Show might be appropriate. On that same cruise, the Captain scheduled an afternoon lecture (during a sea day) on the ship's Navigation systems and planning. They did this lecture in the main theater (on a gorgeous day when most would love to be out on deck) and it was truly standing room only. We all came to hear his jokes....and were not disappointed. So how did we get the invite? We were doing back to back cruises (in the Med) and kept running into the Captain in the Lido at lunch, at Captain's Club functions, and just walking on deck. One evening at a Captain's club reception (these are normal things on Celebrity) Captain Demitrius looked at DW (as we were entering the room) and gave a big sigh...and then said, "you again." Then he laughed and said he loved passengers who did back to backs...and asked us to dine with him that same night.

Hank

Capt Demitrius is good looking, personable and a hoot...had lunch with him on the "Silly"....I forget the captain on Carnivals Miracle but he sat down with us 2 times for lunch we had a ball laughing and making "fun" of the stages that the Carnival went thru at different times...a couple of Captains on Holland and Princess also ate with us ...no rhyme nor reason that I know of. We eat lunch with the Priests that are on board a lot. The only time we were treated like royalty was when we met one of my husbands classmate onboard by accident. We travel between maybe 6 Lines and are on the top tier on all...but she has only traveled on NCL for decades and she eats all her meals with the officers and they all know her...she introduced us to some of them, including the Captain and next thing you know..we got free wine at dinners and invited for lunch with them in"special " dining rooms...and our luggage tags actually said VIP on them and we were escourted by an officer off of the ship when the cruise was over ( from a different door, without waiting in line ) When we were going down the plank some of our friends were still in breakfast and saw us...kidded us about "having to be escourted off the ship) and wanted to know what did Richard do..and would we be allowed back on :D

Edited by myjillian

Cocktails and dinner with Captain Timmers on board HAL Zuiderdam in 2011, on our 20th anniversary (the very day!) He was very witty and personable. He talked mostly about his family and his recent trip to the Netherlands to attend a refresher course in navigation. It was a memorable evening and a wonderful anniversary celebration, and we feel blessed to have been invited. It was our first HAL cruise (and only our 3rd cruise ever.)

BTW, we were seated at the table the "old fashioned way," where husbands and wives were not side by side. We engaged in conversation with those around us moreso than we would have had we been "coupled up," I think. As a matter of fact, I could not communicate with my husband at all during the dinner, as he was across from me at the large, round table, and I would have had to shout to be heard! But I was seated between Captain Timmers and a very interesting Maryland truck farmer, so I enjoyed lively and interesting conversation throughout the evening.

Edited by SeagoingMom