Where to spend four hours before boarding Riviera in Miami

CintiPam

We have a very early flight to Miami before our upcoming Riviera cruise because direct flights to MIA from Cincinnati are few and far between these days since Delta has "reduced" our hub status. We do not want to spend it at the ship terminal or visiting South Beach but rather prefer to have a leisurely breakfast and hang out at one of the nearby airport hotels.

Fellow Oceania cruisers, any suggestions as to which airport hotel to visit for this purpose? Where should we go with our luggage to pass the time that morning?

How early will we regular cabin passengers be permitted to board? Yes, I know what the cruise booklet states.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

We have a very early flight to Miami before our upcoming Riviera cruise because direct flights to MIA from Cincinnati are few and far between these days since Delta has "reduced" our hub status. We do not want to spend it at the ship terminal or visiting South Beach but rather prefer to have a leisurely breakfast and hang out at one of the nearby airport hotels.

Fellow Oceania cruisers, any suggestions as to which airport hotel to visit for this purpose? Where should we go with our luggage to pass the time that morning?

How early will we regular cabin passengers be permitted to board? Yes, I know what the cruise booklet states.

Rather than hang out at an airport hotel, I would head to the Intercontinental in downtown Miami and enjoy a great breakfast at Ole, their dedicated breakfast restaurant. Afterwards you could walk along the bay front (with awesome views of RIVIERA docked across the bay) or even do a little shopping at Bayside. Then it's a very short 5-10 minute cab ride to PortMiami when you're ready to embark.

I think that would be a nice way to start your vacation.

Rather than hang out at an airport hotel, I would head to the Intercontinental in downtown Miami and enjoy a great breakfast at Ole, their dedicated breakfast restaurant. Afterwards you could walk along the bay front (with awesome views of RIVIERA docked across the bay) or even do a little shopping at Bayside. Then it's a very short 5-10 minute cab ride to PortMiami when you're ready to embark.

Sounds like a good plan.

As long as they will store the luggage of a non guest there it would be a good plan. I really like the Intercontinental, the only issue I had with it is that there is no ramp at the entrance to take your luggage up, and there are about 6 or 8 steps to carry them up. A bit of a pain.

Nice suggestion. Will the hotel let us check our luggage so we can actually take a stroll??

If you have Amex platinum card there is a centurion lounge at Mia.

Do you have status with any hotel chain? If so go to one of those properties

I Use Marriott... and there are 3 marriotts at the airport Full, courtyard Fairfield. offering freeshuttle I doubt you can check luggage unless a guest or a program member..... ( something to think about next time)

Miami airport is a mess to navigate....

I suggest going to the Court Yard Miami airport , arrange for a day room, or itscheap $150.. Then grab some sleep and a meal and after a shower and sleep and food.. go to theship Taxi costs $29.00 and takes 18-20 min.

I boarded the ship at 2:30..... no line, we were theonly ones in the terminal

walked on and went direct to our room.... ( we skip the feeding frenzy of boarding day) and our bags showed up in 15 min........ Being first isnt always best. Too, starting out rested, calm and unstressed is worth far more than having to roam around for hours waiting anywhere.

Thanks, Lyn. The problem, of course, is having to take our luggage with us anywhere.

Pam

I have heard the luggage store at Bayside market will store the bags for a fee but have never used it

The HOHO which also departs from Bayside will hold bags for you but then you probably have to buy a tour ;)

Lyn

Hi Pam! :D

If it were us, I'd drop the luggage at the Cruise Terminal, but keep the Taxi and head on over to the Mandarin Oriental.

The Hotel is serving breakfast in the space which becomes La Mar by night, so you'll get to see how the other half lives

la_mar.0.0.jpg

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/miami/fine-dining/

Water water everywhere -though there is no view of the Port-, but it is the kind of setting where you can morph from the restaurant into their very comfortable grounds without being noticed, so a four hour wait won't be a chore.

miami-oasis-beach-club-private-beach?$GridBanner$&crop=0,457,3861,1241

The Bellman at the Mandarin will handle your taxi to the ship.

It's only a ten minute ride, anyway.

Enjoy!!!

If you have Amex platinum card there is a centurion lounge at Mia.

Would be good if you can find it. Seems to be tucked away. You would need to claim your luggage and then go back thru the TSA lines to get there. A major problem.

Would be good if you can find it. Seems to be tucked away. You would need to claim your luggage and then go back thru the TSA lines to get there. A major problem.

If you fly through Terminal D, you can go directly to the Centurion Lounge. Your bags will be collected by your airline and should be held till you pick them up (risky in Miami or any airport IMHO). If you leave the security area of Terminal D or fly to another terminal that does not have airside access to Terminal D, then you have to leave the secure area, collect your bags, you can check them at the bag check for about $10 a bag, and then you have to get a way to get back through Terminal D security. Flyertalk people mentioning buying a fully refundable ticket to get through security, then cancelling after you get into the lounge, but that is a lot of hassle.

The only simple way to enjoy the Miami AMEX Centurion Lounge on arrivals is to 1) be sure you fly to Terminal D (although I think E has airside access by foot or tram), and do not fly with checked bags unless you feel comfortable leaving them on the carousel for a few hours.

That being said, it worked great on a recent DEPARTURE where I had a later flight after an O cruise.

Good luck, John

Thanks, Lyn. The problem, of course, is having to take our luggage with us anywhere.

I'm not really familiar with MIA...but wouldn't you have to gather luggage for any decent hotel restaurant in the airport area? I'm just trying to see where you won't have two luggage transfers...hotel in Miami near the port or hotel at airport, wouldn't it be the same?

I'm not really familiar with MIA...but wouldn't you have to gather luggage for any decent hotel restaurant in the airport area? I'm just trying to see where you won't have two luggage transfers...hotel in Miami near the port or hotel at airport, wouldn't it be the same?

There is a hotel in the terminal that I have read they will hold your bags while in the restaurant ..it was not near our terminal so never checked it out

Plus we fly in a day early so use the hotel to store bags after check out & before heading to the port

If you fly through Terminal D, you can go directly to the Centurion Lounge. Your bags will be collected by your airline and should be held till you pick them up (risky in Miami or any airport IMHO). If you leave the security area of Terminal D or fly to another terminal that does not have airside access to Terminal D, then you have to leave the secure area, collect your bags, you can check them at the bag check for about $10 a bag, and then you have to get a way to get back through Terminal D security. Flyertalk people mentioning buying a fully refundable ticket to get through security, then cancelling after you get into the lounge, but that is a lot of hassle.

The only simple way to enjoy the Miami AMEX Centurion Lounge on arrivals is to 1) be sure you fly to Terminal D (although I think E has airside access by foot or tram), and do not fly with checked bags unless you feel comfortable leaving them on the carousel for a few hours.

Good luck, John

Sounds like a big hassle just to get some free food :D

Sounds like a big hassle just to get some free food :D

Sure is. I ave Amex but would not try to do that in MIA. Sure my luggage wold not be found in a few hours. MIA is like a thirld v country and I would not trust anything there. Keep your luggage with you until you find someplace to check it.

There are a number of other amenities as well, such as drinks, mini-mainicure, mini-massage, shower room, and fast WIFI.

John

Well I guess if you need to drink early morning that would be worth the effort ;)

Mind you if I had to go through all that just to get into the lounge I may need a drink :D

Edited by LHT28

Hi Pam! :D

If it were us, I'd drop the luggage at the Cruise Terminal, but keep the Taxi and head on over to the Mandarin Oriental.

The Hotel is serving breakfast in the space which becomes La Mar by night, so you'll get to see how the other half lives

la_mar.0.0.jpg

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/miami/fine-dining/

Water water everywhere -though there is no view of the Port-, but it is the kind of setting where you can morph from the restaurant into their very comfortable grounds without being noticed, so a four hour wait won't be a chore.

miami-oasis-beach-club-private-beach?$GridBanner$&crop=0,457,3861,1241

The Bellman at the Mandarin will handle your taxi to the ship.

It's only a ten minute ride, anyway.

Enjoy!!!

So lovely! Jim, I always can count on you for fabulous evocative photos. So what time are you permitted to drop off your luggage at the terminal??

Edited by CintiPam

Thanks for all your ideas. We do have AMEX platinum but indeed it sounds like a hassle for an arriving flyer; I certainly want my luggage with me.

We have Marriott status so I will look into its airport hotels for possible breakfast.

I received a lovely generous email this afternoon from a fellow cruiser from our Buckeye state inviting us to join her party at the Intercontinental that morning. (They are flying in the previous day.) I truly am grateful for this gracious offer.

Thanks for all your ideas. We do have AMEX platinum but indeed it sounds like a hassle for an arriving flyer; I certainly want my luggage with me.

We have Marriott status so I will look into its airport hotels for possible breakfast.

I received a lovely generous email this afternoon from a fellow cruiser from our Buckeye state inviting us to join her party at the Intercontinental that morning. (They are flying in the previous day.) I truly am grateful for this gracious offer.

Good luck! Would not do lounge for an arrival, Marriot sounds great. Enjoy your cruise.

John