Where have you stayed pre cruise in Port of San Pedro Long Beach?

calisilent

DH and I and my parents are cruising out of LA to Mexico. I am looking for good Cruise Critic Pal suggestions for a hotel the night before. It is the port of Los Angeles in Long Beach/San Pedro. We don't need a 5 star, just good clean, safe, comfortable... Maybe close to a CVS or similar for last minute sundry/wine purchases.

Any suggestions?

DH and I and my parents are cruising out of LA to Mexico. I am looking for good Cruise Critic Pal suggestions for a hotel the night before. It is the port of Los Angeles in Long Beach/San Pedro. We don't need a 5 star, just good clean, safe, comfortable... Maybe close to a CVS or similar for last minute sundry/wine purchases.

Any suggestions?

If you're talking about a Princess cruise, then it's the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro). The Port of Long Beach is nearby, but a separate port and basically it's Carnival that sails from there exclusively. Don't confuse the two, especially if you're telling a shuttle or taxi driver where you want to go.

Most people going from SP use the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree in San Pedro. One of those has a free shuttle to the port and the other charges $5.

If you go on google maps and ask for stores nearby, you should get some choices. Most drug stores (CVS, Rite Aid, etc.) and all grocery stores (Vons, Ralphs, etc.) sell wine.

If you're talking about a Princess cruise' date=' then it's the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro). The Port of Long Beach is nearby, but a separate port and basically it's Carnival that sails from there exclusively. Don't confuse the two, especially if you're telling a shuttle or taxi driver where you want to go.

Most people going from SP use the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree in San Pedro. One of those has a free shuttle to the port and the other charges $5.

If you go on google maps and ask for stores nearby, you should get some choices. Most drug stores (CVS, Rite Aid, etc.) and all grocery stores (Vons, Ralphs, etc.) sell wine.[/quote']

Yes, it is Princess, so it would be the Port of Los Angeles. Thank you for the correction. I have heard reference to sketchy areas around the port, but not specific to which hotels (other than the previous poster's instruction to avoid the Holliday Inn). Last time we cruised out of that port we had arrived that morning so I didn't search hotels.

Just looking for clues :)

Stayed at the DoubleTree in March. Could be fancier for a Hilton, but its clean & safe, view of the marina, etc. If arriving by car the neighborhood to the port area looks be a bit sketchy, but its okay if you keep moving. I believe there is a CVS and definitely liquor stores in the area.

They have a park & cruise rate and the shuttles are free to San Pedro.

Edited by Philob

Don't stay at the Holiday Inn unless you enjoy the sounds of gunfire and police sirens.

The Holiday INN in San Pedro has been closed for awhile and reopened under the Best Western Plus.

Your comment sounds like there is gunfire every night at that location, however I seriously doubt that happens.

Stayed at the Crown Plaza in September. Very nice with friendly staff. We were upgraded to a corner suite with agreat view of the harbor. We could see the ship in the morning. I would ask for a high floor with a view of the harbor. There are a lot of airline people that stay here and the front desk suggested that it was common for one night guests to get upgrades. I think it didn't hurt that we booked directly with the hotel and not through a discount site. Free shuttle to the pier. Schedule with the concierge the day before. The hotel is close to the waterfront promenade. We walked to a CVS which was a long walk. There were lots of restaurants with in walking distance.

Try the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel, runs about $175.00 on a Saturday night, free shuttle to the cruise terminal. every hotel will be overpriced for a weekend, It is about a half mile away.

We've always gotten the Crowne Plaza for $80-$95 dollars on Hotwire--on a weekend--so check that out.

It's fine for a pre-cruise night and has restaurants and shopping nearby.