21 Days in the Caribbean

calmighty

Hi

We are looking at going on a 21 day Caribbean Cruise with Holland in October. My question; is 21 days too long for a Caribbean cruise. We will be travelling from New Zealand and I am not sure if it will be too long. We are in our mid 50s and like to get off the ship when in port. I welcome any feedback as I would like to book shortly.

Cheers

If the ship does not repeat ports, the Caribbean can be interesting. You can hike on the tropical islands, dive and snorkel, lounge on beaches, see Mayan ruins in Mexico, Belize and Guatemala, and take an excursion through the Panama Canal. It's a culturally diverse region with a violent history.

Pick your excursions carefully, some through the ship, some on your own. They don't have the well-organized shore side excursion desks that I experienced in New Zealand. Many places have taxi drivers who want to take you around. We never took them up on this. Some ports have more shopping than you would ever want to see again.

Go to the destination section if you haven't done so yet and check your ports.

The cruise you are looking at is probably also sold as 3 seven day cruises. Check to see how much port duplication there is.

Many people do the 10 day added to the 11 day HAL Caribbean combination cruise. It is rather popular.

Sail is correct, it could easily be a 10 day and an 11 day. HAL commonly sells these. We have done them, and are waiting to possibly book one in 2017.

We don't know you OP, your interests, or anything else about you, so no way to say how you will handle 21 days. But we can say we have never been bored for a minute in over 200 days on Cruise ships, up to 22 days on a cruise.

Hey

Thanks everyone for your quick reply's, yes it is a 10 and 11 day cruise and you have put me at ease so to say. we did a 14 day cruise of the Med four years ago and didn't want to get off so we wanted to stay on the ship longer this time. Sounds like there is plenty to do so here we come Caribbean.

Hi

We are looking at going on a 21 day Caribbean Cruise with Holland in October. My question; is 21 days too long for a Caribbean cruise. We will be travelling from New Zealand and I am not sure if it will be too long. We are in our mid 50s and like to get off the ship when in port. I welcome any feedback as I would like to book shortly.

Cheers

We prefer long cruises. I looked at that HAL itinerary and would book it in a heartbeat. It is two b2b cruises that do not repeat any ports. Great itinerary imo. Since it is a good combination of ports and seadays and all the ports are different i do not think you would find it too long.

After you book it, join your roll call and you will probably be able to join others on private tours/excursions.

Read CC ports forum, Caribbean, then individual port, to get ideas for excursions and/or get questions answered.

Keep in mind that October is still hurricane season so itinerary might be changed at a moments notice dependent on weather. Go with a spirit of adventure.

Edited by NMLady

At your age, I would look at Celebrity Equinox. They also do a 10 day cruise followed by an 11 day cruise, both very different itineraries. Celebrity tends to have a lower average age than HAL. But if you're a smoker, stick with HAL, as they have a more liberal smoking policy. Celebrity has one of the most restrictive smoking policies, with absolutely no indoor smoking and no smoking on cabin balconies or in cabins.

We have done quite a few 21 day to 25 day Caribbean cruises.

They are wonderful. Many of them are sold as back-to-back on some cruise lines or Collector Cruises on HAL. Usually you only repeat 1 or 2 ports.

Agree with KK! Wonderful cruises! :D

LuLu