Discontinuance of Independent London - Pier Bus Transfer?

harryw

Last summer we stayed in London pre-cruise independently, and Oceania allowed us to purchase their bus transfer to Southhampton.

We'll be in London in June under the same circumstances, and want to book a similar transfer to Dover, but our TA checked with Oceania and was told that this bus service was no longer available to passengers if hotels were booked independently.

Is this true?

Harry

Last summer we stayed in London pre-cruise independently, and Oceania allowed us to purchase their bus transfer to Southhampton.

We'll be in London in June under the same circumstances, and want to book a similar transfer to Dover, but our TA checked with Oceania and was told that this bus service was no longer available to passengers if hotels were booked independently.

Is this true?

Harry

Your Agent is misinformed.

The Transfers are gratis if you book a pre-cruise hotel through Oceania, but even if you don't you may purchase transfers for $149 per person, as long as you agree to travel from London to Dover on June 7th (Embarkation Day).

Is this true?

Harry

As long as you are staying at one of the hotels Oceania offers you may purchase the transfer

Jancruz1

Your Agent is misinformed.

The Transfers are gratis if you book a pre-cruise hotel through Oceania, but even if you don't you may purchase transfers for $149 per person, as long as you agree to travel from London to Dover on June 7th (Embarkation Day).

I just called Oceania and Oceania confirmed that my TA was correct. Alas, only passengers who booked pre-cruise hotels through Oceania can use the bus transfer to the pier.

Harry

I'm just curious ... and a little puzzled ...

Is it that anyone traveling at the time of departure (or arrival) can buy the transfer, or as Jan seems to be saying that you need to be staying at one of O's offered hotels (whether you booked it yourself or through O)? That's rather limiting. OTOH, I can see where the bus isn't going to take you across town to another hotel. But why wouldn't it be possible to take the transfer to O's stop and then get a cab?

It doesn't affect me personally because we've always arranged our own transfers -- we just don't like the fees that O charges for such things! -- but it's always good to know.

When we were younger we took the National Transport bus from Heathrow to Dover and that was fine, for the grand sum of £35 for the two of us, and it was fine. Others have taken the train and reported that it was equally fine.

Mura

I just called Oceania and Oceania confirmed that my TA was correct. Alas, only passengers who booked pre-cruise hotels through Oceania can use the bus transfer to the pier.

Harry

Harry,

I am not sure why you are so distressed about this. :confused:

As others have suggested, you can book your own transfer in a car for just the two of you for less money than the O bus would cost you.

It would be on your terms, your time and much more comfortable. We had a wonderful young man from Romania drive us from hotel to Dover port and he was great company- and it was much less tha $300. (Incidentally, we had the same Young man 2 weeks later for a drive from London to Southampton as well).

Edited by Paulchili

Here is another suggestion- take the train to Dover.

It is as fast, or faster, than a car and costs much less. Trains leave from several London stations; and the cab fare from the Dover station is only a couple of pounds. Plus, you can ask the taxi driver to stop on the way to the ship to grab a couple of bottles of your favorite libation. Have done this twice and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Here is another suggestion- take the train to Dover.

It is as fast, or faster, than a car and costs much less. Trains leave from several London stations; and the cab fare from the Dover station is only a couple of pounds. Plus, you can ask the taxi driver to stop on the way to the ship to grab a couple of bottles of your favorite libation. Have done this twice and would do it again in a heartbeat!

This is a good option if you can (or are willing to ) handle your luggage - not everyone can.

The cars are door-to-door; trains are not.

Edited by Paulchili

Harry

Sorry Harry, I spoke to "the boss" and you can get the bus transfer if you are at the same hotel as Oceania uses..I dont think the point is how he can get there but that he wants an Oceania transfer which he can have....

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

Sorry Harry, I spoke to "the boss" and you can get the bus transfer if you are at the same hotel as Oceania uses..I dont think the point is how he can get there but that he wants an Oceania transfer which he can have....

Jancruz1

Now you have me curious, Jan, does that mean that you have to be staying at the hotel where the Oceania Transfer departs from in order to buy the Transfer, or just that you have to get yourself there on that morning?

If you want a bus trip just take the National express for a LOT less than the Oceania transfer

Then it is a short taxi ride from the bus terminal

The whole trip for 2 will probably be less than 50 GBP (approx 84 USD)

Now you have me curious, Jan, does that mean that you have to be staying at the hotel where the Oceania Transfer departs from in order to buy the Transfer, or just that you have to get yourself there on that morning?

Either way..you just have to BE THERE ready to board

Jancruz1

Here is what Oceania told me. To use their transfer after the cruise, you either have to be going to the airport (with your flight THAT day) or you have to be staying in their hotel. I wanted to buy the transfer through Oceania to their hotel, then catch a cab to mine, but they would not let me do that. I purchased a transfer through Smiths.

Here is what Oceania told me. To use their transfer after the cruise, you either have to be going to the airport (with your flight THAT day) or you have to be staying in their hotel. I wanted to buy the transfer through Oceania to their hotel, then catch a cab to mine, but they would not let me do that. I purchased a transfer through Smiths.

You did the right thing by taking Smiths..but how did Oceania know you were not staying at their hotel..Less is more..

Jancruz1

We did a private car one year and the National Express bus the next year, both to Dover. The bus was very nice. It makes a stop in Canterbury on the way. We decided to stay 2 nights in Dover pretrip and backtracked to Canterbury for a day trip the second day. I think it was about 30 minutes by bus.