Oceania vs Regent

papa B me

I have been researching Med/Greek Isle cruises and have narrowed down to Oceania Riviera or Regent Mariner. I was leaning heavily toward Oceania and using an Oceania suite. However all of the negativity regarding Oceania's excursion expense has made me take a fresh look at Regency with the excursions included and business class airfare included in the higher end suites. I understand the substantial difference between the two in cost but wonder if it is as far apart when you take into account excursions, transfers, etc...

With that said, I'm hoping some CC members who have cruised on both lines could compare the experience of the lines as far as service, food, quality of excursions, cabins, etc... regardless of price difference. I truly want the best experience and am willing to pay more to achieve that. Thus far my only cruise experiences have been on Carnival and Disney so this is new territory for me in regards to luxury/adult oriented cruises. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If you book an Oceania Suite on O and then book shore excursions and buy transfers through the Cruise Line, buy a Beverage Package, etcetera, there won't be much difference in the prices.

The Advantage to Oceania, is that if you are willing to put the work into it (most of us do) is that you have the option of planning your own Excursions which will be more fitted to your personal tastes and schedule, and arranging for your own Transfers by private car rather than motor-coach.

If you're looking for the kind of trip where you can completely check out and just let the Cruise Line do everything, you're going to pay a premium price, whatever Line you sail with. The choice is YOURS to make.

Although we have sailed Regent 10 years, we recently (last year) booked a cruise and sailed on Oceania's Riviera (a gorgeous ship). We have 3 more Regent cruises booked and 1 on Oceania. In my opinion, comparing the two experiences is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. I'll try to make this brief and hope that people will be kind on this thread as sometimes this becomes a rather heated debate.

The service on both Regent and Oceania is wonderful -- no problem whatsoever.

Food is subjective but we found the specialty restaurants better on Oceania and the main dining room and buffet restaurant better on Regent.

Two of Regents ships are all suite, all balcony (the Voyager and the Mariner.... I personally would not recommend the Navigator). The size of the suites are considerably larger than the "standard" staterooms on Oceania. The penthouse suites on Oceania are great (as they are on Regent's Mariner).

Oceania excursions are wonderful but very expensive. We found people to share private excursions with on Cruise Critic's Roll Call and it worked out well. Regent has included excursions -- some are good while others are mediocre. Many tend to be bus tours that can get crowded. The quality of the excursions seems to depend upon the part of the world you are sailing in. Regent also has "premium" excursions at a cost. These tend to be much better excursions and are much less money than on Oceania. Note: Regent and Oceania use the same tour companies so there is not a lot of difference. Oceania's two newer ships, the Riviera and Marina, have special culinary excursions that are wonderful (but even more pricey).

Of course, there is no tipping on Regent and alcohol is included. On the other hand, sometimes Oceania runs specials that include tips and internet.

In my opinion, both cruise lines are great. Which one to choose depends upon your preferences.

Edited by Travelcat2

papa B me,

I see that you are relatively new to CC - welcome!

Use your search button and type in something like "Oceania vs Regent" (or vv) both on this board and on Regent boards.

There have been numerous extensive threads and discussions on this very topic that need not be repeated in their entirety.

However, if you have specific questions after reading these threads, I am sure people here will be happy to answer them.

Also, if you have trouble finding those threads, just let us know :)

We always sailed Regent and have been on every one of their 3 ships. We loved Regent until our last cruise with them (TA in 2012 on the Mariner). We were very disappointed in that cruise and that led us to try Oceania. Comparing prices we found for the same price that we had booked a PH suite on the Navigator in the Caribbean we could have an Oceania Suite on the Riviera AND the complete drinks package AND the two excursions we wanted. So we switched. And we were SO very glad we did.

the suite was magnificent. Nothing on the Regent ships compared to it (and we have been in the Seven Seas Aft suite on Mariner as well as PH suites on all 3 and the Navigator Suite on the Navigator). The food was outstanding in all restaurants though we liked Toscana less than the others. Not to say the food there wasn't great - it was - but we live so close to Italy that I suppose we are a bit jaded with Italian food!

The result of that western Caribbean cruise on Oceania was that we booked the Masters Suite on Riviera for the TA crossing next April. And while I do not want to wish my life away (!) we cannot wait.

However I have read that the Mariner has been renovated (about time) and is in very good condition now. And that the cuisine on board has gone up several notches (heard this from a CC friend who is on board right now) so I assume some of the Oceania influence has rubbed off on Regent. And we have put our names down for the inaugural cruise of the new Regent ship. So we haven't closed ourselves off from Regent but our experience with Oceania was really the tops!

Another factor to consider is air. If you intend to fly business class and are using the cruise line air, all other things being equal, we have found Regent to be the best choice. (although we have paid up charge since aren't in higher level suites) We like both Regent and Oceania. We always use itinerary as our first reason. If we like both, then I do a cost analysis by adding up all the items on Oceania that we will need to pay for to see how it come s out compared to the inclusive price for Regent.

We found for us that Regent was the better choice for us to Asia and the Middle East, where we really did not want to arrange our own shore excursions. Plus, they were longer voyages and we wanted the additional space provided in the "standard" Voyager suites vs Oceania's ships. We have opted for Oceania for all our European cruises and Caribbean ones, where we feel comfortable going out on our own, or book with others. And we usually get free gratuities on Oceania from our TA ( and now becasue we have 10 cruises)

Whatever you choose, you are going to an area I love. Enjoy!

I want to make a comment about price. We sail in penthouse suites on Regent and find the prices on Oceania the same as Regent (when you add on the alcohol package, the internet package and tips). When you consider included excursions and airfare on Regent, the prices are even more competitive. We have found business class upgrades on Oceania to be considerably higher than Regent (generally -- not counting specials). Whichever cruise line you select, take the time to compare prices and look at which amenities are important to you.

Note: Using the "search" button has advantages and disadvantages. If you go back too far (a couple of years), the responses could be outdated. Things change fairly rapidly on these sister cruise lines:)

do compare the actual ship,not just the cruiseline.Seems ea.ship has good and bad points.PS.will not take Voyager due to vibration problem,but loved Mariner(but all cabins do not have tubs,check).

Have only been in PH on both O,Insignia and Regatta.Loved it and got TA to throw in free gratuities and dring pack.Good to ask.Did a few shore exc.with O and very happy(depends on country,etc.,,,do most on own).

So make a check list,you ll love both,just see which is best for YOU.

Have a cruise booked in Nov.on O, Riveriera.Itinerary is now the big thing for use after 20 yrs.of cruising.;)

do compare the actual ship,not just the cruiseline.Seems ea.ship has good and bad points.PS.will not take Voyager due to vibration problem,but loved Mariner(but all cabins do not have tubs,check).

Have only been in PH on both O,Insignia and Regatta.Loved it and got TA to throw in free gratuities and dring pack.Good to ask.Did a few shore exc.with O and very happy(depends on country,etc.,,,do most on own).

So make a check list,you ll love both,just see which is best for YOU.

Have a cruise booked in Nov.on O, Riveriera.Itinerary is now the big thing for use after 20 yrs.of cruising.;)

Good points. I had to laugh because we don't care to sail on the Navigator and you feel the same about the Voyager. The Voyager is fine is you do not stay in an aft suite. That is why your suggestion of checking out the ships is important:)

Oceania only costs a lot less if you sail in a cabin below penthouse. Otherwise the costs are similar. So it's matter of which you prefer. Personally, I hate bus tour excursions which you are forced to pay for on Regent so I would prefer sailing on O and booking my own private tours.

When you call Regent or Oceania I believe you get the same place with the same people. Last time I called the girl asked if I wanted a AI planned vacation or to pick what I wanted. When I said I wanted to pick what I wanted she said then you want Oceania. Guess they should know best.

When you call Regent or Oceania I believe you get the same place with the same people. Last time I called the girl asked if I wanted a AI planned vacation or to pick what I wanted. When I said I wanted to pick what I wanted she said then you want Oceania. Guess they should know best.

You get the same place but not the same people for customer service or air. There are so many policy differences between the two lines that it would be difficult to keep track. Oceania is the preferred line by management --- it is the "baby" they watched grow up:-) Regent is an investment. So, it doesn't surprise me that people that are undecided would be referred to Oceania first.

As I indicated in my initial post, I feel that comparing Oceania and Regent is comparing apples and oranges. Their target markets are not the same even though management in Miami is.

I want to thank everyone for their valuable input. From the comments from members who have sailed on both lines I feel good that I will have a positive experience with either line as long as I understand the differences in dealing with the pricing structure. Both lines appear to bring unique experiences and I may find that in time I want to try both. I am leaning towards Oceania as I will be booking one of the higher end cabins and they tend to have more room, a second bathroom, and a color scheme more suited to our personal taste. Oceanias Riviera also has features that we find appealing. Although limited in cruise experiences I have traveled wide and have a number of experiences in booking my own excursions so may find the Oceania experience more in line with what I am accustomed. With the intensity that many have for both Oceania and Regent it makes me feel confident that both have created Cruise product that most can appreciate and enjoy. Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to any additional insight going forward.

Compliments to everyone for staying calm and being on point!

For me, just one more little item...I prefer a newer ship. There is something about how old something is and how often it is used. It is only my personal feeling, but I feel safer on the newer ships, i.e. Mariner or Riviera.

I have been on both and always book the OS or Master Suite as it is called on Regent. I have never compared prices, but one of the people who has posted on this thread is quite a close friend, and it is a fact that Regent has the larger suites...except the OS on Riviera or Mariner.

For me, I feel that the service has been better on Oceania just because there are tips and there is an incentive for each employee.

I do feel--personally--the food is much better on Oceania, way less salt.

The more time passes...the closer they are to being alike. I have one Med cruise shortly and they have included a lot that was not included in the past.

I hope that I survive until the new Regent ship comes out and I do hope I can be on their first sailing..I think it will rival Oceania, but it isn't here yet.

Caroldoll

Thanks for your comment. The OS on the Rivera is the suite I'm looking at and it is about 300 sf larger and about $6000 pp less expensive. The unlimited excursion package with Oceania is about $900 pp. Not much of a drinker so the unlimited alcohol on regent doesn't appeal to me. So the business class airfare is the biggest issue but I like you prefer a newer ship as the Riviera and feel it is a better fit for me. Great feedback. Thanks

We like both. Riviera and Marina have an edge with their superb teaching kitchen and classes and fantastic spa, plus the aforementioned specialty restaurants. Mariner's basic suites are larger and better designed, with verandas and walk-in closets.

Caroldoll

Thanks for your comment. The OS on the Rivera is the suite I'm looking at and it is about 300 sf larger and about $6000 pp less expensive. The unlimited excursion package with Oceania is about $900 pp. Not much of a drinker so the unlimited alcohol on regent doesn't appeal to me. So the business class airfare is the biggest issue but I like you prefer a newer ship as the Riviera and feel it is a better fit for me. Great feedback. Thanks

own Regent and do own air.I find it much more convenient,also do read the sticky re.cruise air here on CC.Lots of info . I just got more back in refund for last O cruise than I spent.

Hope you have a good TA, with premium and luxury lines you should get many perks and cash back even.I do.They also have deals on above cruiselines,They let me know when one is coming up if I let them know what I m looking for.:)

Have sailed regent many times, Oceania once. If you book an actual suite on Oceania, do the Internet package and the drinks package, and do several excursions, you will not be saving money on Oceania.

We liked some of the specialty restaurants on Oceania, but the main dining room on regent is far better than that on Oceania.

I guess some people don't realize it, but the excursions on Oceania and regent are identical. On regent, a lot of them are included, but you pay a surcharge for the more expensive ones. On Oceania, you pay extra for any excursion. But if you like to do your own thing, that would be an advantage

. But the excursions themselves use the very same operators, and are the same. I verified this when a friend went on an Oceania cruise that had the same itinerary as our regent cruise.

Personally, given an identical itinerary, I would pick regent. My husband refuses to go on Oceania again because he disliked having to show his card to get a drink every time. And he did not like our room. I would be fine with Oceania if the itinerary were one I really wanted to do and was not offered on regent.

Caroldoll

Just be aware that on Regent, that price would include business air, for the Master Suite, but would be a significant upcharge on Riviera, which may obviate most of the cost difference.

No one has mentioned ship size. I've sailed on Riviera, and it's a lovely, lovely ship. But it is also significantly larger than either Regent Voyager or Mariner--about 1200 versus 700 passengers. This does make a difference to the ambience of the ship, and your overall experience. I myself prefer the smaller ships. I know your experience so far has been large ships, but the small ship experience is special. Of course, you could have that on the smaller Oceania ships as well, although they may not be doing the itineraries you like.

Wendy - the difference in size between Riviera and either Mariner or Voyager didn't impact on us at all. In fact we appreciated the fact that there are so many speciality restaurants to choose from on Riviera (due to size I suppose). And we had an Oceania Suite last year which cost us far less than a PH suite on the Navigator for the identical itinerary even when we factored in drinks package and the two excursions we wanted.

Next year we have the Owners Suite on the Riviera, TA, and I believe again we are saving a lot of money and have a wonderful suite... at least compared to the SS Aft suite we had last TA on Mariner.

Hope all is well in the northern reaches of Canada!

Gerry