First cruise and Muslim women dress

walsalmi

Dear all

I will be on Allure of seas soon And i confuse about dressing code me and my wife and my son

My wife wearing Muslim dress with cover head and face. Is that will be problem in main dinning dress?

And also for tips. I Usual tips by myself and i want reject the Auto tips. Is that possible?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The dress code or suggested dress is on the website of whatever cruiseline you are sailing, usually under FAQ. Generally you should dress as you would if going to a nice restaurant and your son (depending on his age) should also. If your wife is comfortable dressed as her faith suggests then there should be no issue. As for tips, I leave that to your conscience, remember that your tips are shared with the entire crew not just the people who you see. The entire crew works hard to provide a great vacation.

If this is a serious request for information, welcome to cruise critic!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Dear all

I will be on Allure of seas soon And i confuse about dressing code me and my wife and my son

My wife wearing Muslim dress with cover head and face. Is that will be problem in main dinning dress?

And also for tips. I Usual tips by myself and i want reject the Auto tips. Is that possible?

Thank you

To get a good answer regarding what your wife will be wearing to dinner, I would suggest calling the Royal Caribbean customer service number. The phone number is 1-800-398-9819. Although we don't do it, there are some passengers that prefer to have the auto-tips removed from their account and pay the tips in cash. So yes, it is possible to have the auto-tips removed. Just go to the Guest Relations Desk on the ship to have it done.

Silly me did not notice the name or the ship, or possibly the OP edited his first post :) Call RCCL and also read their website under "already booked" or something similar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I believe that RCI requires passengers selecting Anytime Dining (or a similar name) to prepay their tips. Only those signed up for Traditional Dining would be allowed to cancel the autotips.

If you are not aware, canceling the autotip will make live more difficult for the staff. Your cabin steward and waiter will likely be called to their boss's office to explain what they did to warrant your cancellation of the autotip. Any cash you give them will have to be turned in and will be added to the tipping pool.

I believe that RCI requires passengers selecting Anytime Dining (or a similar name) to prepay their tips. Only those signed up for Traditional Dining would be allowed to cancel the autotips.

If you are not aware, canceling the autotip will make live more difficult for the staff. Your cabin steward and waiter will likely be called to their boss's office to explain what they did to warrant your cancellation of the autotip. Any cash you give them will have to be turned in and will be added to the tipping pool.

Excellent points!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Dear all

Thank you

she'll get some looks, and I bet more than a couple wll be rude( blatant staring)

people who wear just the headscarves tend to be fine, its the full on burqa that draws criticism from non Muslim Westerners.

she MIGHT have issues in Security and she must have her picture taken.. obviously you can request that it be done so by a female but I am not sure if it can be done privately. that would depend on the port you are embarking from.

you cannot really reject the auto tips. if you try the staff will want to know what the steward and wait staff did you annoy you so much that you want to remove them. also if you insist on doing so anyway it is possible that the people for whom it is intended will now have to pool them with others and they do not get their full share. it is best to just leave it as is and tip extra directly to the individuals you feel merit extra.

saying you want to just tip them directly yourself is code for "I want to not pay anything at all" to many people.. and not just your fellow passengers. Many also believe that it s more for your OWN self aggrandizement and not about making sure the staff is well compensated.

I dare say people will get used to it. Though there may be a lot of covert glances from people trying to work out how she eats without revealing her mouth.

Be aware that there will be dancing girls on board, and they will be wearing (by your wife's standard) extremely revealing costumes. There will also be large numbers of people in swimming costumes on the open deck. If your wife is so devout that she won't even reveal her face, then she might be upset by what she sees.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

As to your wife's dress, whatever she wears will be fine.

As to tips. Just leave the automatic tips on. The people get paid so little, and remember the tips also are given to people you do not see. I just add the price of the tips to my cost of the vacation and leave it at that.

Dear all

I don't see why it would.

All the men will be looking at the women dressed in fancy dresses / colorful gowns.

However, certainly, some judgmental people will be offended that she will be dressed like that and you will not. There are those that believe in equality of the sexes.

Dear all

Thank you

Clearly you asking this question because you are aware that wearing the burka is, in the eyes of many westerners, a sad and demeaning practice.

If you and your wife choose to follow this form of dress then you have made your choice and must be comfortable with the effect it has on those around you. It is not the job of those around you to be comfortable with your choice, only to be polite.

You and your son should follow the dress code for the line you will be sailing on. You can check the specific forum for any line for additional information.

I can't imagine how she will eat but I suppose she has experience working that out.

Tipping aboard a cruise ship is different from tipping in land based establishments. If you treat tipping on your cruise as you would usually you will give the appearance of avoiding tipping, even if this is not the case, and you will prolly make things difficult for the people who provide you service while you are aboard. Leave the "prepaid tips" and forget about them. Tip as you choose above and beyond that at your own discretion.

Sara

Edited by sarafinadh

I have seen Muslims in full dress on cruises...they looked beautiful and it didn't bother me at all...people that stare or are rude are ignorant....go and have fun!

Not sure that you quite have the picture here...

This is what I believe we are discussing;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb9Ejiz8GM8dD2mn3-ES3Q5aTFA9d98Q4cd1D0N_tjMZvPSZvr

Pretty sure the OP's wife is Not wearing a burka.... But rather an Abaya and head covering plus covering her face... Not a one piece garment, but two or three pieces.

This family has chosen to sail a Cruiseline catering to westerners and has asked sensible questions knowing they may be different from average/regular passengers.

They certainly are not the first Muslim passengers to dress in this manner.

I hope they have a wonderful time!

Pretty sure the OP's wife is Not wearing a burka.... But rather an Abaya and head covering plus covering her face... Not a one piece garment, but two or three pieces.

This family has chosen to sail a Cruiseline catering to westerners and has asked sensible questions knowing they may be different from average/regular passengers.

They certainly are not the first Muslim passengers to dress in this manner.

I hope they have a wonderful time!

What's pictured is not a burkha (or burqa), as I understand it, but a niqab. A burqa has a kind of screen over the eyes - very rare in my part of the world, I haven't seen it often.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyPMkA3hPaD7wKoqqgleBdyWddZhVs__3JynKUv4lBXFNsEg8QbA

Personally, I don't see it as any "sadder" or repressive than stilleto heels or tight short skirts......but that's a different argument for a different thread.

Actually, from the OP's post, we really don't know what type of dress his wife will be wearing, whether a burqa, niqab, or abaya.

How very embarrassing, Mrs OP and her attire due to her customs and religion are not our business. I think it was a thoughtful husband that inquired knowing they are sailing on a ship with many many non Muslims.

I for one wish this family well and wish the world could just get along!

Hi Walsalmi & family. welcome! :)

I hope you enjoy your cruise, regardless of what faith you practice & what customs you follow.

I would love to hear you wife's thoughts /feedback after the cruise - from the perspective of a non westerner. I think her insight would be fascinating. Please encourage her to provide a review at the end of your cruise.

Cheers!

she MIGHT have issues in Security and she must have her picture taken.. obviously you can request that it be done so by a female but I am not sure if it can be done privately. that would depend on the port you are embarking from.

Getting on and off the ship you have to use your card. Your picture will pop up on the security screen. RARELY have we encountered female security personal at these checkpoints.

Also getting into many ports your picture ID is checked. Again rare to find a female doing this.

The only time I can think of that it might be a problem is for the required photo for the cruise card with embarking. Don't know! :confused::confused::confused:

LuLu

~~~

I agree that this might be the biggest issue - not only the initial photo, but also re-boarding in any port. Security personnel often make people remove their hats and/or sunglasses to compare the face to the photo in their machine, so it's possible they would ask her to remove her face covering. I would definitely check with the cruise line to see if this is going to be a problem. Beyond that, even if they tell you on the phone that it won't be an issue, you may encounter individual security staff who would interpret the rules differently. All of us have encountered situations where one ship or one staff member does something that we know is not standard cruise line procedure.

I hope you're able to work out all the issues and have a wonderful cruise - go expecting a great trip, but be prepared to handle any problems with as much patience as you can.

Personally, I don't see it as any "sadder" or repressive than stilleto heels or tight short skirts......but that's a different argument for a different thread.

What religion requires that women wear stiletto heels or tight short skirts every moment of their being??:confused:

I find it sad that someone cannot see the difference.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL