It's Not Freestyle Cruising If You Cannot Wear Shorts In The MDR

sonicbuffalo

No way is it freestyle cruising if men can't wear a nice pair of shorts in the MDR. After our upcoming cruise we won't be sailing NCL again until they change/relax their policy. Do you have to wear a dress shirt too, or will a collared shirt do?

Not sure where your info is coming from but one of the dining rooms (the least formal one) on most NCL ships allow nice shorts.

No way is it freestyle cruising if men can't wear a nice pair of shorts in the MDR. After our upcoming cruise we won't be sailing NCL again until they change/relax their policy. Do you have to wear a dress shirt too, or will a collared shirt do?

But you can! The only restaurants you can't wear shorts in on the Sun is Le Bistro and one of the two main dining rooms - Seven Seas. You are allowed to wear shorts to the Four Seasons MDR. Enjoy the Sun - she is a wonderful ship with a fantastic crew!

We've only sailed NCL about 8-10 times and never had a problem with "freestyle". It pretty much defines our lives, since we live at the beach and wear shorts & flip flops year round.

For some reason, there are a lot of folks who look forward to "dressing for dinner". That said, I pack one pair of long pants and one collared shirt so that the more "traditional" folks can enjoy their cruise, too.

Do you know of another cruise line that has a more "relaxed" dress code?

On the Breakaway, we had people in shorts in most restaurants. Not in Le Bistro and I swear there were a few people in shorts in the Manhattan room the night we ate there. I was surprised by what some people were wearing in Cagney's, I always thought that shorts and t shirt were not acceptable there but I was wrong.

Jeans and a polo shirt are acceptable at all restaurants

It's freestyle, not do-whatever-the-heck-you-want. I cannot find a single mainstream cruise line that permits shorts in the MDR during dinner hours.

You can wear shorts in one of the two MDRs. The other requires nice jeans or slacks.

And a polo (or Hawaiian) shirt would be fine.

DISNEY Cruise line: Dining dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops.

Royal Caribbean:

"Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women"

Carnival: "Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats."

Holland America: Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

Norwegian: Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

Notice that NCL is the ONLY cruise line that allows shorts in ANY of the dining rooms during the dinner hour. Not even Disney allows them, and they're the most family-friendly line out there.

I see that your favorite cruise line is Carnival. Do they let you wear shorts in all restuarants. I don't know since I have never cruised with them.

I don't understand why people get all upset because they are asked to look some what presentable to eat. I think that NCL is too lax in their dress code. Shorts in the speciality restaurants should not be allowed but yet most of the they do.

I don't need your hairy legs near my food. Suck it up and wear jeans.

You can wear nice shorts in one of the MDR's on any NCL ship. Just ask which one allows them and eat your dinners there.

Shorts for breakfast and lunch are allowed in either MDR.

Collared shirt is allowed in both MDR's anytime.

Calm down. Everything is fine. Here is the policy:

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items

Freestyle does not mean slovenly style, pigstyle, sloppy style or no-style.

There are rules. They are minimal.

Freestyle= The freedom to have a choice.

You have a choice to eat in your shorts in most restaurants on board.

You have the choice to dine with those who wish to dress up a bit more.

This is one of the reasons I love NCL!

It's freestyle, not do-whatever-the-heck-you-want. I cannot find a single mainstream cruise line that permits shorts in the MDR during dinner hours.

You can wear shorts in one of the two MDRs. The other requires nice jeans or slacks.

And a polo (or Hawaiian) shirt would be fine.

DISNEY Cruise line: Dining dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops.

Royal Caribbean:

"Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women"

Carnival: "Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats."

Holland America: Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

Norwegian: Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

Notice that NCL is the ONLY cruise line that allows shorts in ANY of the dining rooms during the dinner hour. Not even Disney allows them, and they're the most family-friendly line out there.

Wrong! Carnival allows nice shorts in the MDR except the two semi formal nights. Every other night I and many others wore shorts. Been on 4 cruises

with Carnival so I know.

Sorry, TravelDiva, but 4 cruises in 4 years with Disney, 2009 to 2012, my family has worn shorts in the main dining rooms on Disney. Yes, I did ask beforehand and was assured that it was ok and there would be others in shorts. I will say that the clothing was always clean and not scrubby.

They have one MDR where you can wear shorts, and one MDR where you can't wear shorts. Carnival is now allowing shorts, except on elegant nights. It's becoming common on a few lines. Just go to the more relaxed MDR and enjoy your cruise.

I think NCL offers the choice to satisfy those that want to be really casual as well as those that wish to dress for dinner. Freestyle means giving you more choices to cruise the way you want, it doesn't mean totally casual everywhere on the ship.

NCL is quite relaxed about shorts.

But if shorts are so important to you cancel your cruise. No one is forcing you to go.

But if you do go, you will be pleasantly surprised. I think you'll be so pleased, you'll be sailing with NCL again.:)

Have fun!

Wrong! Carnival allows nice shorts in the MDR except the two semi formal nights. Every other night I and many others wore shorts. Been on 4 cruises

with Carnival so I know.

So, how about all of the responses about being able to wear shorts on NCL?

Or are you here just to stir something up? SMH!

with Carnival so I know.

Don't listen to the nasty nellies. In Florida, it's almost unheard of for men to wear anything other than nice shorts to dinner when going out. Up north, it's the opposite. My husband always dresses for dinner when we are in NJ, and mostly wears shorts when we are in Florida. It certainly does not mean one is "sloppy" "dirty" or whatever other names some of these lovely people like to call others.

There is always one MDR on the ship that allows shorts, and all of the speciality restaurants, with the exception of Le Bistro, allows shorts (not sure about ocean blu).

I think they restrict it due to those that would show up in cut offs, etc. Who knows. There are several nights that we do like to "dress', and will eat in the restricted MDR. I like that they do offer the choice of which MDR to eat.

Archived