Medallion News

caribill

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2256078

Princess Cruises, will soon prepare two more vessels with the world's first interactive guest experience platform as the Caribbean Princess and Regal Princess transition into Medallion Class ships during dry docks taking place over the next six weeks.

Carnival Corporation's proprietary xIoT network, which is enabled by the Ocean Medallion™, will be installed on the Caribbean Princess during an extensive two-week dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas, March 26-April 6, followed by a dry dock of sister ship Regal Princess April 14-30 in Hamburg, Germany.

During the upgrades, work teams will run roughly 75 miles of cable, install almost 7,000 sensors, 650 experience-edge computing devices and 1,780 in-cabin Wi-Fi access points on each ship.

In addition, a total of 4,030 additional guest portals – in the form of stateroom door access panels, interactive touch-screen TVs and public area displays – will be added throughout each ship, allowing guests to easily access their own personal digital concierge featuring an endless number of guest experiences customized uniquely for them.

Medallion Class vacations debut in November aboard the Regal Princess at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, followed in spring 2018 by the Caribbean Princess. The Royal Princess, which underwent its transition during its dry dock last fall in Paloma, Italy, will make its first Medallion Class voyage in January 2018.

During the upgrades, work teams will run roughly 75 miles of cable, install almost 7,000 sensors, 650 experience-edge computing devices and 1,780 in-cabin Wi-Fi access points on each ship.

Definitely sounds like major WiFi improvement. That will be a very welcome change.

Definitely sounds like major WiFi improvement. That will be a very welcome change.

Hopefully the speed will increase along with the better reception..

I"m wondering how it will work with those cabins that need two sets of keys. For example, if I'm traveling with the grand kids or even my mother I would want access to their cabin and them into mine. Now we just ask for a non charging additional card.

We won't know for sure until someone does this and reports. However, they should be able to program each persons medallion with the appropriate access, so one medallion would be able to access both cabins. It will be that way unless no one in their design team thought of that issue.

I"m wondering how it will work with those cabins that need two sets of keys. For example, if I'm traveling with the grand kids or even my mother I would want access to their cabin and them into mine. Now we just ask for a non charging additional card.

Each Medallion should have it's own identity so that they can program an individual Medallion to access any number of cabins.

Just look at the cabin steward- his Medallion will have access to his entire group of 19 cabins.

I contacted Princess to find our when the new Medallions will start on the Caribbean Princess & here's there reply.

"March 18 - Circle Caribbean

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=B809"

Tom😀

Yep. We are booked on that one. Booked it quite a while back under the Sip and Sail promo. I am really looking forward to trying out Medallion Class sailing. :)

I wouldn't get your hopes up. My guess is that the guest wifi and medallion system operate off of 2 separate networks. These new access points are likely to support the new system and probably won't work with guests connecting via their own personal devices.

Of course that's all my own conjecture.

As for a post on the speed that another poster mentioned, they could install 5,000 new access points and that won't increase the speed unfortunately. It's all dependent on how the ship connects which they don't mention if they are upgrading or not. ☹️

With all these upgrades, wires and wifi, do you think there will be new TVs with the same system that is onboard the Royal and Regal now? I would love to be able to start a movie when I want to watch it and then come back to it at that same point after an activity. . .

It would be nice to have faster internet. During the rollout press conference the Princess executive in charge of the program was asked that spcefic question and he said no the WIFI would not be faster for the passengers.

With all these upgrades, wires and wifi, do you think there will be new TVs with the same system that is onboard the Royal and Regal now? I would love to be able to start a movie when I want to watch it and then come back to it at that same point after an activity. . .

They told us in January that they will be interactive tvs like on the Royal and Regal.

Yep. We are booked on that one. Booked it quite a while back under the Sip and Sail promo. I am really looking forward to trying out Medallion Class sailing. :)

I'm looking forward to trying out my Medallion on that cruise. I'm sure I'll see you at some of the bars because I booked under Sip and Sail also.

In the past, I've mostly used the same two bars, and the bartenders remembered me. It will be interesting to try another bar and see if the new bartender "remembers" me.

Caribill,

Regal can't go into dry dock on 14th...we don't arrive til the 17th !!

So, I wonder how much it will cost for all those guys to stand on the outside of the ship with their pails throwing water at the ship. I would hate to see the water bill will be when they had to keep spraying water on tarps to look like the ocean.

I'm looking forward to trying out my Medallion on that cruise. I'm sure I'll see you at some of the bars because I booked under Sip and Sail also.

In the past, I've mostly used the same two bars, and the bartenders remembered me. It will be interesting to try another bar and see if the new bartender "remembers" me.

Well... If the medallion works the way they claim it will we will be able to upload lots of preferences in advance. If it works the way I want it to then every bartender will "know" that I like my Bloody Mary to be extra spicy (hot!) and that any time I order a Gin and Tonic I want it made with Tanqueray. I found on our Panama Canal cruise the second day I walked past the barista at IC greeted me by name and the bartenders in both Wheelhouse and Explorer's asked, "Bulleitt?" when I walked in because I was drinking mostly Bulleit on that cruise. They also knew to make it a double and not to put any ice in my drink! Bummer that they only had the bourbon though as I'm quite fond of the rye. :)

Given the freedom of the AIBP who knows what I might drink on this cruise. I only wish they would have the medallion in place on Emerald Princess for our 28 day in October but, alas, it is not to be. Sigh... Life is sooooooo hard! :eek:

NavyVeteran & Thrak,

With all the liquid you two guys are planning on drinking. Just to make you feel safer about falling overboard.

I will be right behind the ship in the Rowboat this year. I can pick you up only if you have your Ocean Medallion on. Princes cruises will only pay for me for the people who have there Medallion on. I just installed the Medallion reader it was expensive $3.00 :D.

The Captain of the Rowboat.

Tony

NavyVeteran & Thrak,

With all the liquid you two guys are planning on drinking. Just to make you feel safer about falling overboard.

I will be right behind the ship in the Rowboat this year. I can pick you up only if you have your Ocean Medallion on. Princes cruises will only pay for me for the people who have there Medallion on. I just installed the Medallion reader it was expensive $3.00 :D.

Tony

Be sure to have the rescue St. Bernard with you in the rowboat. You know, the one with the cask around the neck...

Be sure to have the rescue St. Bernard with you in the rowboat. You know, the one with the cask around the neck...

The last time I had him on the Rowboat. He figured out how to open the cask :confused: I had to pull him out of the water.

Tony

NavyVeteran & Thrak,

Tony

That's why I booked a cabin without a balcony. Not much chance I will fall overboard through my window.:)