First cruise since weight loss- need advice!

sr5242

Since November I have changed my diet drastically and took control of my diabetes and lost 30 pounds and 6 dress sizes. I work out almost daily alternating cardio and strength training.

Question- this is my first cruise since losing the weight. I have no intention of "skipping my diet" while cruising. Does anyone have suggestions for food choices on board that are healthy, while not being stuck with the salad bar every day? I treat myself to sugar free jello- wondering if they offer any low cal, sugar free dessert options on board?

thanks!!!

In the MDR, they have "Vitality" choices on the menu, which are lighter and healthier selections. There is also always a sugar-free dessert, or you can ask for fresh fruit.

I'm not sure what's available in the Windjammer, because we avoid it as much as possible.

Since November I have changed my diet drastically and took control of my diabetes and lost 30 pounds and 6 dress sizes. I work out almost daily alternating cardio and strength training.

Question- this is my first cruise since losing the weight. I have no intention of "skipping my diet" while cruising. Does anyone have suggestions for food choices on board that are healthy, while not being stuck with the salad bar every day? I treat myself to sugar free jello- wondering if they offer any low cal, sugar free dessert options on board?

thanks!!!

Congratulations! As a person with "food issues", I know that cruises are a great opportunity to make healthy and delicious food choices.

I'm not saying it is always easy. The choices are there, but sometimes seeing the huge array of available food is challenging.

I find that it is easier to avoid the buffets and mostly stick to the MDR where I can order from the menu and be very clear about what I want. At dinner, on the first night, I ask the waiter to bring me a small dish of olive oil and a plate of extra (steamed) vegetables every night. This has helped me very much. On our last few cruises, the waiter has served us from a bread basket which is much easier for me then when we have one on the table.

Eating healthy on a cruise is very doable, and I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise! Enjoy!!

I've found that staying active (stairs rather than elevators, working out on sea days, etc) helps keep things in balance.

On Oasis last summer I stuck to Park Cafe for breakfast (egg muffin sandwhich) and lunch (road beef sandwich), and didn't restrict myself that much at dinner. Yes those 1000 calorie desserts in the specialty restaurants are hard to work off, but it can be done. Believe it or not, I can home 1 pound lighter than when I left (worth noting, that was our family cruise so I limited my alcohol drinks).

Ever consider getting a fitbit (or something similar) so you have an idea of where you are calorie wise at all times? While not 100% accurate, it can give you a ballpark as to where you are calorie wise based on steps and pace of steps. Can't help when you are in the water, but even then that just pushes your calories burned higher giving you a little buffer with whatever the fitbit records. I average 10-12,000 steps at home/4000 calories (workout twice during the day), and I try to match that on the boat to allow me to enjoy (within reason) everything the boat has to offer.

If you want to drink, stick to something like a Norcal Margarita (Google it). Not a lot of calories, but still enjoyable. Things like frozen (fruit) drinks and specialty coffees will ruin any chance of maintaining your current weight on the boat, but you probably know that. Those calories add up way to fast, even if you only have 1-2 per day.

thanks!!!

thanks!!!

Yes, all RCI menus offer low-fat and sugar free dessert items. Just Google Royal Caribbean menus and you can find sample menus. You should stick with the main dinner room for most of your meals. It all about portion control. Advise you waiter of your diet requirements so he can make recommendation. If you must do go to the WJ stick with the healthy options and I do believe there are low calorie items too. Drink lots of water as it will make you feel full. You can bring healthy pre-packaged snacks and keep in your cabin. You don't want to go into a meal feeling starved as you might make bad food choices. Use the stairs vs elevator and all RCI's ship have beautiful gyms. I love using the treadmill and looking out over the seas. Jim

IF you are going to Oasis or Allure, go running to the jogging track every morning for an hour and do free body condition class after that and you can eat what ever you want after that. Jogging track on Oasis is amazing! We went there every morning when sun was rising.

On our last cruise my wife and I (both fighting a problem with an over-active elbow that had made us extremely fluffy) lost weight. We avoided the buffet as much as possible but even when you go there you can still focus on the fruit and eat smaller portions. You know what you eat at home...bring that to the cruise.

We also hit the gym at our regular time EVERY morning. It just meant on days in port we were "extra" active. Since I was just recovering from a heart proceedure we limited ourselves to using the stairs only if it was three floors or less.

We plan the take the same approach in August. So far, she has dropped 88 pounds and I have dropped 71 (dang medicine I took for 4 years damaged my thyroid...making it harder for me to lose...at least according to the cardiologist).

There are lots of low carb foods available aboard. Avoid the breads, pastas, fruit, and desserts, but pretty much everything else is OK. Go for the fish, chicken or meats, eggs, cheeses, veggies, and salads to keep the weight off. Watch out for "sugar free" items which can still be high in carbs.

Edited by ehfl

Stay away from the elevators and eat less but more frequently. Keep your diet balanced and no more than one cone a day. Do several active activities a day. Go to the gym most days but don't live in it. I used this formula on my last cruise and I left the ship with the same "luggage". It's your vacation, enjoy.

I love the windjammer. There are heaps of salad & fruit options and the desserts bar does have diet options too. You can see what you are selecting. You can put exactly the quantity on your plate. They have some nice soups. I can't understand the adversity that people have to the windjammer.

I personally don't like the lottery of the dining room where you think you know what the menu means and then something totally unexpected gets plopped in front of you. It is hard to not eat something that is put in front of you.

Good on you for losing weight. It is a great feeling. :)

thanks!!!

that's awesome. Congratulations on your weight loss. It's going to be a challenge on a cruise with temptation everywhere. The only thing I can suggest which usually works for me and make some time and hit the gym while you're on board.

Have fun, eat what you want, but in moderation. I had the same experience after loosing 56lbs.

Hot spots that will get you include breakfast and late night snacks that are high fat. Eat one cookie instead of two or split something. Try to only meals when you are hungry (harder to do than said sometimes). This is why breakfast is a trap.

Key though is staying active. If you can take the stairs, do. Taking stairs and limiting intake (but not too much) made a 5-6 lb difference from one cruise to the other. Allure, I gained 7, Oasis only gained 1. Plus we barely went to the Windjammer on the second cruise. Walk, walk, walk....

Hi

Congratulations! You deserve an immense amount of credit. Many people simply do not want to follow a regimen the way that you have. This will extend your life and provide you with a much better quality of life as well!

You need to email special_needs@rccl.com and let them know that you are diabetic and have specific dietary needs.

If you know that there are things that you should not eat, be vigilant and express this to your waiters, question them if it doesn't look right. I follow the when in doubt DON'T way of living. Be clear with your waiters about the way that you eat and you can definitely eat in the Windjammer, they have many options that you should be able to choose from. I can't eat anything with artificial sweeteners so I always notice how many desserts there are that are sugar free. There are usually a few at every time during the day. They also have sugar free ice cream in the MDR, however, this is not widely known. When you email special needs make sure that you let them know things like sugar free jello so that they have the opportunity to help you.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Dee

Yes - make your needs known to RCL Dining. One of the things that the Maître D' does is to come to the table near the end of dinner to consult with folks with special dietary needs about the next days menu. You can discuss the food and preorder items that fit your requirements. It should not be an on the fly decision with your very busy waiter the next night.

Congratulations on the weight loss! I have lost a bunch of weight as well, so here is how I strategized my last cruise. I hit the gym every day for at least 30 minutes on the elliptical. Breakfasts were at the Park Cafe or Windjammer. At WJ, I had egg white vegetarian omelets. Whenever the MDR was open for lunch I would do the Tutti Salad Bar...pick your ingredients, so you control everything. Dinners, I just made smart decisions and did not clean my plate. I hope this helps.

Lisa

First, congrats to you for setting such a tough goal and seeing it through! I personally am "up" right now, and it shows in several areas of my life. I need to find some motivation to follow in your footsteps.

Regardless, I have two hints to add to the good advice you've already received:

- If portion control is a problem for you, consider ordering room service for lunch and enjoying it on your balcony. If you only order a salad, you're not going to overeat, as can easily happen in either the buffet or the MDR.

- Don't drink your calories. Even if you don't drink excessively, it's easy to get a whole day's worth of calories from a couple sodas, a milkshake with lunch, and a couple fru-fru drinks with dinner.

Congratulations.

In addition to the tips others have mentioned, you can order sides of most vegetables in the MDR for lunch or dinner. We usually get a plate of broccoli. In the Windjammer at night they often have Mongolian Grill. You fill your plate with all the vegetables you want and the Chef stir fries them along with any meat you like. You can get a lot of food for a small amount of calories that way.

Also, you can order strawberries or other fruit for dessert anytime in the MDR.

I love the stretch class that RCCL offers on most mornings in the gym usually starting around 7am. The ship is so nice and quiet that time of day. I can usually make it to 4-5 classes during a week long cruise depending on the ship's itinerary. I think they may also offer it a second time later in the day on some ships. It's a great way to get your day started and on the right foot!

I just hit the 60 lbs lost mark yesterday. I started Oct 1, 2013.

But, I plan on gaining weight on my cruise in 2 weeks. When I "indulged", I found I gained about 5 lbs, but I'm ok if I gain 3-4 lbs this time.

But, on the cruise..

I will do cardio daily in the gym

I will treat myself, but not to excess. Desserts, yes! But, I will attempt to choose the lower carb options.

For me, cruising is a once a year thing - my opportunity to get away from it all- and I LOVE to eat. So, I just need to eat a little wiser, and work out more. If I come back with an extra 4 lbs, I will simply take a week and focus back to the same regiment which has allowed me to drop 60.

I WILL be grabbing that sweet treat at the end of the evening from the Promenade Cafe. :cool:

EDIT: I do need to add that my blood sugars, cholesterols, blood pressure are all in the solid "normal" range. I just didn't like the way I looked. So.. if I had any blood issues, I would watch my cruise diet a little more carefully. I just don't want others to think that my outlook on "it's ok to gain a little on a cruise" will work well for everyone.

Edited by Toddcan

thanks!!!

Also they make your food to order in the diningroom. Friends that cruise twice a year on RCCL, supper picky gets a plain steak a couple of times and a plain grilled chicken breast every other night. Don't be afraid to ask. And congratulations on your loss. I am into it a month now hope to achieve what you did. You are an inspiration.