How many folks have you introduced to cruising?

AquaAdventurer

All of us, I believe, are very high on the cruising experience. As you spread the joys of the experience to your family, friends, and acquaintances, how many have you brought into the fold? They don't have to have come with you (though please include those as well), just taking a cruise in any capacity. How many were disappointed or took only a single cruise?

Love to hear your stories.

All of us, I believe, are very high on the cruising experience. As you spread the joys of the experience to your family, friends, and acquaintances, how many have you brought into the fold? They don't have to have come with you (though please include those as well), just taking a cruise in any capacity. How many were disappointed or took only a single cruise?

Love to hear your stories.

Actually None. In fact, if asked I tell people how awful cruising is. Why increase the demand for a product that you want to buy in the future?:confused: Lower demand equals a lower cost for me.:D

Right now, I'm telling people that cruising in general is awful, cruising in November 2015 is really, really awful, cruising in November, 2015 in the Caribbean is really, really, really awful and cruising in November, 2015, in the Caribbean, on Celebrity is really, really, really, really incredibly awful. People would be much better off visiting North Korea!:D

Edited by DirtyDawg

For me, cruising serves a main purpose of sampling new regions and locations, which may become longer vacation destinations in the future.

We use the cruise ship as our hotel and primary eatery. Therefore, we're picky about the cruise line and our preference is Oceania.

I would only recommend cruising for this purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually None. In fact, if asked I tell people how awful cruising is. Why increase the demand for a product that you want to buy in the future?:confused: Lower demand equals a lower cost for me.:D

Right now, I'm telling people that cruising in general is awful, cruising in November 2015 is really, really awful, cruising in November, 2015 in the Caribbean is really, really, really awful and cruising in November, 2015, in the Caribbean, on Celebrity is really, really, really, really incredibly awful. People would be much better off visiting North Korea!:D

I see the logic :cool: . . . maybe I should rethink :D

I'm surprised at the responses that indicate none or few. With the marketing and word of mouth from frequent cruisers I had thought that more would have been tempted to try. Perhaps they just haven't been convinced yet - to put an optimistic spin on it :)

I could add a followup: Are you surprised or disappointed?

We've introduced 8 couples to the life experience known as "cruising" . . . only 1 of the couples hated it and said they would never go again. Fortunately, we weren't on the ship with them, or I'd have felt totally responsible (I know, I know, I'm not, but it was my prompting that got them there). There wasn't really anything they could find to like about cruising, which is fine, because now we don't have to worry about cruising with them and feeling awful about having a good time when they weren't.

One of the couples is quite interesting - they are just lovely salt of the earth type people; she is an office clerk, he is a house painter and neither had travelled anywhere before. We told them where we were going and they expressed an interest in joining us, so we assisted with all the preparations, including hosting a formal multi-course, sit-down dinner (complete with multiple wine glasses and cutlery) so they could see what to expect on the ship. The fellow rented a tux, the lady bought some pretty evening attire, and they came back from the cruise having purchased several future cruise credits!

You never know!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

If... and only IF our friends ask us about cruising we explain our experiences. Same as going to a all-inclusive resort, or any land-based holiday. We never push them towards it - just try to explain the differences for us... they have to make the decision. Should they decide to come on a cruise with us (or without us).. that's their decision and I don't feel responsible should they not enjoy the experience.

We've introduced 8 couples to the life experience known as "cruising" . . . only 1 of the couples hated it and said they would never go again.

But!!!! Who in their right minds would NOT want to get out of 'atoon' for a week or more in the winter?? :D

Jeez.. take me to Regina - has to be warmer than here!!!! :rolleyes:

Kidding of course. :)

But!!!! Who in their right minds would NOT want to get out of 'atoon' for a week or more in the winter?? :D

Jeez.. take me to Regina - has to be warmer than here!!!! :rolleyes:

Kidding of course. :)

Hey, it's +5 right now - just came back from shopping - sun shining, coat open, and . . . get this . . . sunroof wide open, too!! Just another day on the "frozen tundra" - we'll get back to the frigid temps soon enuf!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hey, it's +5 right now - we'll get back to the frigid temps soon enuf!

Funny.. we're at -2 with a NorEaster hitting us. Snow coming off the Atlantic Ocean down the St Lawrence river. Oh.. sorry - an Ocean is a large body of water that you probably have never seen!! Again... kidding... ;):D:D

Tuk temps will get you soon enough. Keep warm.

We've introduced 8 couples to the life experience known as "cruising" . . . only 1 of the couples hated it and said they would never go again. . .

One of the couples is quite interesting - they are just lovely salt of the earth type people; she is an office clerk, he is a house painter and neither had travelled anywhere before. We told them where we were going and they expressed an interest in joining us, so we assisted with all the preparations, including hosting a formal multi-course, sit-down dinner (complete with multiple wine glasses and cutlery) so they could see what to expect on the ship. The fellow rented a tux, the lady bought some pretty evening attire, and they came back from the cruise having purchased several future cruise credits!

You never know!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

That's a super story :) Just the fact that you put forth the effort to share what to you was a wonderful experience and actually introduced that couple to an adventure they might otherwise never have chanced. Love it!

If... and only IF our friends ask us about cruising we explain our experiences. Same as going to a all-inclusive resort, or any land-based holiday. We never push them towards it - just try to explain the differences for us... they have to make the decision. Should they decide to come on a cruise with us (or without us).. that's their decision and I don't feel responsible should they not enjoy the experience.

That's pretty much the way we approach it. Folks wonder what the fascination is for us and we try to explain what we like about the whole experience. DW has added that folks have to like the idea about being at sea, or at least not paranoid about it - that's something cruisers often take for granted I suppose.

Our plan is to have them call our long time Travel Agent when they are seriously thinking of taking a cruse.

Our TA is very good and does not try to push cruises and honestly does try to make sure cruising is right for them before suggesting a cruise /cruise line that would suit them best.

Well over 60 (friends and friends of friends) have called our TA to book and have been happy. :)

Sort of Funny: Our TA has actually talked some OUT of taking a cruise because it was not going to be the sort of vacation they wanted.

LuLu

Our plan is to have them call our long time Travel Agent when they are seriously thinking of taking a cruse.

Our TA is very good and does not try to push cruises and honestly does try to make sure cruising is right for them before suggesting a cruise /cruise line that would suit them best.

Well over 60 (friends and friends of friends) have called our TA to book and have been happy. :)

Sort of Funny: Our TA has actually talked some OUT of taking a cruise because it was not going to be the sort of vacation they wanted.

LuLu

That sounds like a good TA.

8 good friends. Only one of them disliked cruising, so that's not a bad average. We don't try to strong-arm anyone into it. If they want to come along, they are welcome. If they want to try cruising on their own, we are happy to answer any questions we can.

ger_77 what a wonderful story!

My colleague went on her first cruise with Royal Caribbean last year. She came back to the office telling everyone how wonderful her holiday was and showing everyone her fantastic photos. I have since gone on a wonderful cruise myself with RCI and now share her love for cruising. Quite a few of our colleagues, probably about 8, have since done their first cruise too with their respective families. However, they chose shorter and cheaper cruises (ie a different cruiseline) and they have all been disappointed and don't plan to cruise again. To make matters worse, one got terribly seasick and vows to never set foot on any ship again.

Edited by aussielozzie18