Alternative to excursions

RealWoman1

Hi there,

I am a single mom with a teen and will be doing a first time cruise in March - on Princess Star, sailing on 03/21 out of SF.

I want to plan my own excursions and explore on my own rather than "order excursions" and pay a hundred dollars for one picture with a dolphin.

Has anybody else done this? Does anybody else have any advice, backpacking experience about things we could do on Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai and Maui, that doesn't involve ridiculous costs to go sight-seeing?

I know that islands are expensive but I am hoping that my early planning skills will help to save money and maximize my experience by being a smarter shopper.

If there's one excursion that is "must-see" and involves at least few hours, then I might still be open to that.

Otherwise, I am interested in people who are experienced and can tell me what to avoid in Hawaii and what should I definitely check out?

You have a few choices:

First just go off on your own. You can often walk or take buses to get you around. It helps if you plan out where you want to go and what you want to see.

Second, hire a guide/taxi driver at the pier. A little more expensive. Again it helps to plan ahead.

Third, join a private tour. This is where someone plans the tour and finds driver, guide, etc. These are usually smaller groups (10 to 20 people or so) and are much less than the ship tours.

An option that combines the ones above is the Roll Call for your cruise. People post there when they are planning a private tour looking for others to join them. To join, go to the top of this page and move the cursor over "Community". Select Roll Calls from the drop down. Scroll to your cruise line and then Click on your ship. Finally, find the thread for your sailing.

I second the suggestion to go to your roll call to chat about possible private excursions some of your fellow cruisers may be arranging. It seems to be a very active Roll Call.

Here is a link to it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1855058

Edited by sail7seas

For the majority of my recent cruises I have joined a Roll Call group on CC or FB to set up a group shore excursion. Most likely one in your group will take the lead and contact the excursion provider directly and negotiate a price ( usually 20% cheaper than from the ship) The people in the group are usually savvy cruisers who use the internet resources that are out there to make sure the tour operator is legit. Once finalized the group leader will get confirlation sent to you and whether or not a deposit needs to be made. ( sometimes yes sometimes no)

The Nay sayers will say, "What if your non cruise ship tour gets back too late?" Well These operators reputations are on the line and it would be business suicide to have that happen.

Finally going it alone is OK and usually you can just go off the ship and negotiate with a cab operator to take you around the area. I enjoy going with a group as you meet new friends this way.

Edited by iahawkize

In Maui I would rent a car, drive up the volcano Haleakula, pass by waterfalls on the way. There are not that many roads, so it is easy to navigate with a map. Have lunch at a pineapple plantation (you will see signs along the road) and later walk around Lahaina. This would pretty much take up an entire day. Just don't go to Hana as that takes all day and a 4-wheel drive vehicle - however, if you ever stay on Maui, I would tell you not to miss doing this drive as it is fantastic!

In Honolulu, I would go to Pearl Harbor, if that is of any interest to you. The ships are deteriorating now and you won't get to see this in the future most likely. You might want to go to Hilo Hatties to get a moo moo or Hawaiian print sundress for you and your daughter it's in the Al la Moana shopping center - near Barnes and Noble. Also consider buying a Menehune made of lava stone. Other things to see: Diamond Head, Wakiki Beach, tour Iolani Palace, there is the Kuhlo Beach Torch Lighting and Hula show on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday if you are there at sunset across from the Hyatt Regency Wakiki. The Aloha (HOHO) bus can get you around to where you need to go. Cost is $39 per person for a 24 hour pass.

Hilo is gorgeous and all about nature and the famous Mauna Loa Macadamia nut factory and visitors center. This is also the best place to see lava flowing, so whatever you choose to do, I would make sure it included that.

Kauai has the incredible Kilauea Point Wildlife Refuge that is very inexpensive to visit - $5. You will see Hawaii's endangered birds are nesting in the cliffs, including the Hawaiian Gallinule, red-footed boobies, tropicbirds, albatrosses and frigate birds. Look to the ocean and you have a good chance of seeing Hawaiian monk seals, green sea turtles and Hawaiian spinner dolphins.

Hi there,

I am a single mom with a teen and will be doing a first time cruise in March - on Princess Star, sailing on 03/21 out of SF.

I want to plan my own excursions and explore on my own rather than "order excursions" and pay a hundred dollars for one picture with a dolphin.

Has anybody else done this? Does anybody else have any advice, backpacking experience about things we could do on Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai and Maui, that doesn't involve ridiculous costs to go sight-seeing?

I know that islands are expensive but I am hoping that my early planning skills will help to save money and maximize my experience by being a smarter shopper.

If there's one excursion that is "must-see" and involves at least few hours, then I might still be open to that.

Otherwise, I am interested in people who are experienced and can tell me what to avoid in Hawaii and what should I definitely check out?

On Kauai, there is a great county museum in Lihue, which will give you a terrific overview of the island's history and culture at a very low cost donation (can't remember how much). Novice snorkeling is available at places like Poipu Beach and Lydgate State Park. But, you'll need some sort of transportation. Kauai is small enough to get around most of it in a day or two. Too bad you won't have enough time to savor all that the northshore has to offer ( like cocktails at Tahiti Nui).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did most of our touring of Hawaii by renting cars.We got to see what interested us and it didn't cost a fortune. Do research what rental car places are closest to the ship and book ahead of time. Those with reservations get on the road faster.

WE did the Volcano National Park, Macadamia Nut Factory and an Orchid farm all in one day out of Hilo. We did the place where the Hawaiians went for forgiveness, (I don't remember the name of it) and went snorkeling right next door to it when we went to Kona.

Hi there,

Car rental are reasonable ($30-$35 a day plus gas) so I would suggest asking your local librarian for some guide books on the islands and start planning. This link has some great driving guides for the islands showing you by mile marker where to go. It's an old site so the pictures are missing but all the sights are still there. :)

http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/byotg.htm

Edited by PCWalton1

WOW thank you so much, LOVED your suggestions, keep them coming!!!. I have joined to roll call. I will definitely try to zero in on more inexpensive activities, we really love kayaking and snorkeling where would be the best spot to do that?

The "Turtle beach" excursion costs ~100 person, is there any beach that is not that expensive? :confused:

In Maui I would rent a car, drive up the volcano Haleakula, pass by waterfalls on the way. There are not that many roads, so it is easy to navigate with a map. Have lunch at a pineapple plantation (you will see signs along the road) and later walk around Lahaina. This would pretty much take up an entire day. Just don't go to Hana as that takes all day and a 4-wheel drive vehicle - however, if you ever stay on Maui, I would tell you not to miss doing this drive as it is fantastic!

In Honolulu, I would go to Pearl Harbor, if that is of any interest to you. The ships are deteriorating now and you won't get to see this in the future most likely. You might want to go to Hilo Hatties to get a moo moo or Hawaiian print sundress for you and your daughter it's in the Al la Moana shopping center - near Barnes and Noble. Also consider buying a Menehune made of lava stone. Other things to see: Diamond Head, Wakiki Beach, tour Iolani Palace, there is the Kuhlo Beach Torch Lighting and Hula show on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday if you are there at sunset across from the Hyatt Regency Wakiki. The Aloha (HOHO) bus can get you around to where you need to go. Cost is $39 per person for a 24 hour pass.

Hilo is gorgeous and all about nature and the famous Mauna Loa Macadamia nut factory and visitors center. This is also the best place to see lava flowing, so whatever you choose to do, I would make sure it included that.

Kauai has the incredible Kilauea Point Wildlife Refuge that is very inexpensive to visit - $5. You will see Hawaii's endangered birds are nesting in the cliffs, including the Hawaiian Gallinule, red-footed boobies, tropicbirds, albatrosses and frigate birds. Look to the ocean and you have a good chance of seeing Hawaiian monk seals, green sea turtles and Hawaiian spinner dolphins.

Our last three cruises were the RT Hawaiian ones on Princess out of LA, so you can probably guess we love this itinerary.

For any cruise, I get a guide book for that area. Public libraries will have them for most areas, even though they may not be the most recent (if I find one that I really like, especially if it has some good maps, I look for the newest edition...Amazon would be a good place if you don't have any bookstores left).

I'll use post it notes on any sights or attractions that might interest my family. I'll try to check for any website a place has and double check the hours (for example the Hilo astronomy observatory that interested my teen was closed on Mondays, the day our cruise would be there). As our last cruise was getting us to the ports on Christmas week, it was even more important to see what would be open. We lucked out on Christmas Day as Whaler's Village (which we hadn't been to before) was going to be open, even though the whaling museum was closed.

I google each port and will copy and paste any interesting info into a Word document to be edited down at some point. And add any notes from the guide books.

Have your teen get involved with the research too. If something is of interest to both of you, that's better than if one of you would rather not go.

For all of our cruises, my hubby has a couple of rules, and one is not renting of cars. We did rent a car on our honeymoon in Kauai, but we were going to be there for a few days so the getting and returning of the car wasn't going to cut into too much of our time. But others feel the vehicles will give them more freedom.

We don't rule out doing a ship's excursion at all. On our last cruise, we did the submarine one in Waikiki and the Movies and Waterfalls on Kauai (which all three of us enjoyed immensely). I even checked the prices if we booked independently with the same companies, and it wasn't that much of a difference (sometimes companies with arrangements with a cruise line won't sell you a tour directly). And even if you don't intend to book one of these, often you can get ideas for places to see by looking at what places are covered by the tours.

I also will get phone numbers for local cab companies and copy and paste into my document (and program into my cell phone).

Before you leave the ship in any port, be sure to pack the day's newsletter (the Patter on Princess). It will have the time to be back on board (usually an half hour before sailaway). Do not miss getting back in time, especially with Hawaiian ports (if you don't make the ship, you will usually get fined for violating the Passenger Vessels Services Act -- actually the cruise line will get fined, but will pass that along to you). Take along a reliable watch with an alarm and that will help warn you to make your way back to the pier.

Lahaina on Maui is a tender port so you'll take tender boats between the ship and the pier. Those who have booked excursions through Princess, those with elite loyalty status and perhaps those in full suites will get priority to board them before other passengers. So if you've booked an independent tour/excursion, make the meet up time with your guides for at least an hour or so after the expected time of anchoring. Also, get the contact number for any indy operator as well as check their cancellation policy in case your ship doesn't make that port.

I find Hawaii touring cheap with renting a car a superb option to consider. So much of Hawaii is simple drive up. Absolutely easy.

As examples Hilo- Volcano National Park, then continued drives to various water falls, orchid farm, coffee plantation, Tsunami Museum etc etc etc Maui- Road to Hana, volcano top, Lahaina, etc. Honolulu- Pearl Harbor (get entry tickets online), Dole Plantation, Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay snorkeling, round the island drive.

Kauai- Waimea Canyon, scenic north shore, Lighthouse, Coffee Plantation etc,

Head to your library and take out Hawaii travel books, loads of detailed information.

When we cruised Hawaii, we also opted to rent cars in each port we stopped in. Car rentals are very reasonable, even cheap, in Hawaii. The roads are very easy to navigate, and NOW, with gas getting cheaper by the hour, it really makes the most sense.

But, of course, a lot depends on you. I know cruisers who only want to go out with groups, be it private or ship's tours. They simply do not like to go out on their own. Ourselves, on the other hand, will never do ship's tours and only join private tours when necessary. We like to go at our own pace, stopping when we want, eating when we want, just relaxing and 'smelling the roses' when we want. If that is your thing, then do rent a car, you won't be sorry.

Hawaii really is so easy to do on your own. As was said, get a few guide books, see what the main attractions are on each island, see what interests you, then go out and do it.

Cheers

Len

Thank you, thank you, thank you! So many wonderful and practical suggestions, I am very grateful to all forum readers who took their time and shared their experiences with me (and everyone else on this forum), I really appreciate it!:)

...We indeed fall in the latter category because I have my teenager and we missed/were too late to many tours in Mexico when we went to the Royal Caribbean cruise last summer. The one tour I regret missing the most was swimming with stingrays tour... We really love nature and animals. We go on vacations to get away from the city and to get closer to nature. Soooo looking forward to Hawaii !!!!

As far as restaurants and places to eat what would be your suggestions ,what were your favorite places? What should we avoid in Hawaii?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! So many wonderful and practical suggestions, I am very grateful to all forum readers who took their time and shared their experiences with me (and everyone else on this forum), I really appreciate it!:)

...We indeed fall in the latter category because I have my teenager and we missed/were too late to many tours in Mexico when we went to the Royal Caribbean cruise last summer. The one tour I regret missing the most was swimming with stingrays tour... We really love nature and animals. We go on vacations to get away from the city and to get closer to nature. Soooo looking forward to Hawaii !!!!

As far as restaurants and places to eat what would be your suggestions ,what were your favorite places? What should we avoid in Hawaii?

On Kauai, the most memorable meal you can have is dinner at sunset at a west facing window at The Beach Chalet in Poipu. More casual is a tuna burger at Brennake's also in Poipu. As I said, in earlier post, cocktails at Tahiti Nui, the dive bar up north where Clooney drinks in the movie The Descendants.

What not to eat? Are you kidding? Eat everything, including poi (an acquired taste). And, if you want a luau, try to find a local one being done as a fundraiser by a local high school.

Dirt cheap and surprisingly good throughout Hawaii is the L&L Hawaiian fast food chain, which we also have here in California. There are also several of the Roy's of Hawaii throughout the islands. Expensive for most folks- but great food!

On Kauai, the most memorable meal you can have is dinner at sunset at a west facing window at The Beach Chalet in Poipu. More casual is a tuna burger at Brennake's also in Poipu. As I said, in earlier post, cocktails at Tahiti Nui, the dive bar up north where Clooney drinks in the movie The Descendants.

What not to eat? Are you kidding? Eat everything, including poi (an acquired taste). And, if you want a luau, try to find a local one being done as a fundraiser by a local high school.

Dirt cheap and surprisingly good throughout Hawaii is the L&L Hawaiian fast food chain, which we also have here in California. There are also several of the Roy's of Hawaii throughout the islands. Expensive for most folks- but great food!

Our Movies and Waterfalls tour stopped for lunch at the Tahiti Nui. Was fitting with the theme of the cruise. You can see autographed photos of George Clooney and Beau Bridges on the wall.

In Kauai, there is the Feral Pig not far from where the ship docks in Nawiliwili. If you end up driving up to Waimea Canyon there is Shrimp Station in the town of Waimea. If you drive north to Hanalei there is the Hanalei Dolphin. All of these places have great food, relaxed atmosphere and reasonable prices.

Recently back :( from Hawaii.

Definitely rent a car.....inexpensive & the islands are very easy to navigate.

There just aren't that many roads!

There is food everywhere!

Food trucks, grocery stores, lil stores, local lil stores, fast food, fancy food, chains, non-chains!

You can eat inexpensively while out if you make those selections.

Yes, some things are expensive, but many are not.

We were surprised that there were many reasonable items everywhere!

Enjoy!

In Honolulu I'd take TheBus or a taxi to Pearl Harbor - make reservations on line before you go. On the other islands I'd rent a car. I don't rent one in Honolulu because of the traffic and parking, and in Lahaina we often take the public bus to Whaler's Village and Kaanapali Beach.

In Honolulu I'd take TheBus or a taxi to Pearl Harbor - make reservations on line before you go. On the other islands I'd rent a car. I don't rent one in Honolulu because of the traffic and parking, and in Lahaina we often take the public bus to Whaler's Village and Kaanapali Beach.

Sorry if this is silly, but I always thought that you couldn't make a reservation to see the Arizona Memorial. You had to get there early and stand in line for tickets. Has this changed??

Cheers

Len

Sorry if this is silly, but I always thought that you couldn't make a reservation to see the Arizona Memorial. You had to get there early and stand in line for tickets. Has this changed??

Cheers

Len

Not sure if it's a change, but yes, you can reserve your tickets on line.

The reservations open up 6 months in advance. Easy & like $2. each.

Getting to PH early and standing in line for tickets is still an option, but go early as they only have so many tickets available each day and will run out early.

We found Pearl Harbor to be a very somber experience & well worth the minimum effort to go there.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

Good morning Real Woman1, I was actually searching for some port ideas when I found yours and we are on the same trip. We have it a little different though, My wife and I are both 50 and bring our parents with us on the cruise so we will be herding actually three sets of seniors on this cruise and they don't all agree on what to do at each port. I love many of the suggestions that have been said so far in this thread. I know some of the ports from an NCL cruise in 2012, but don't know much about Lahaina yet. We may see you at the roll call, if I can get them all on the ship and in that location in time. It will be an amazing trip, one way or the other, never had a bad cruise!!

• 3 weeks later...