Anyone with experience on new shoe holder policy?

jc4me

I am curious to know if anyone has had their shoe holder confiscated since the policy has changed. I have one that I always take with me on cruises and have gotten spoiled by the extra storage spaces. It is so old so I don't have the packaging to say if it is fire retardant, but I doubt that it is. It doesn't leave any marks and we typically use it over the closet door. Have you had any issues?

I am curious to know if anyone has had their shoe holder confiscated since the policy has changed. I have one that I always take with me on cruises and have gotten spoiled by the extra storage spaces. It is so old so I don't have the packaging to say if it is fire retardant, but I doubt that it is. It doesn't leave any marks and we typically use it over the closet door. Have you had any issues?

Not sure what you are talking about.

They reversed their policy change about 7 days after implementing it

Not sure what you are talking about.

They reversed their policy change about 7 days after implementing it

They modified it, they did not reverse it. All of those things have to be made from fire retardant materials. Good luck finding one.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the over-the-door organizers must now be flame retardant.:confused: Since they are hanging inside the cabin, what does it matter? A lot of people hang these on the their bathroom door. Are the bath towels hanging in there flame retardant? I hang mine on the inside of my closet door. My clothing that is also hanging in there is not flame retardant.:rolleyes: The papers (ads, announcements, FunTimes, etc.) they leave in my cabin are certainly not flame retardant. I mean, how many things in the cabin are? I just don't get the logic of this new rule. Have there been organizer fires onboard?:rolleyes:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why the over-the-door organizers must now be flame retardant.:confused: Since they are hanging inside the cabin, what does it matter? A lot of people hang these on the their bathroom door. Are the bath towels hanging in there flame retardant? I hang mine on the inside of my closet door. My clothing that is also hanging in there is not flame retardant.:rolleyes: The papers (ads, announcements, FunTimes, etc.) they leave in my cabin are certainly not flame retardant. I mean, how many things in the cabin are? I just don't get the logic of this new rule. Have there been organizer fires onboard?:rolleyes:

yeah really, is the towel animal monkey they hang form the lights in the cabin flame retardant? This seems like much more risk than an organizer.

That said, the VIFP gift a few years ago had hooks to hang it on the door for toiletries, would they confiscate that? I strongly doubt that the flimsy vinyl thing made by the lowest possible bidder in China is flame retardant.

I think too many people are confusing "flame retardant" with "fire proof". Many items, just by their very nature, are flame retardant. A plastic coat hanger (as an example) is flame retardant, meaning it will melt when exposed to open flames, but will not immediately burst into flames. A facial tissue (as an example) is not flame retardant, and will immediately burst into flames when exposed to an open flame. So, since most over the door organizers are typically made of vinyl, they would be flame retardant, just by their very nature. Those made out of some sort of fabric, such as canvas, may or may not be. The only thing I've seen posted by Carnival is that over the door organizers can only be used inside the cabin, and not hang on the outside of the cabin door. Which makes me wonder, has anyone, at any time, ever hung one on the outside? That would be really dumb.

Because they don't want them there and instead of simply banning them they are making it almost impossible to get one that complies with the rules.

I was not aware of this policy. Where can you find the details? Also can you take the the collapsible type cubes. I always take a few to store things in on the top shelves of the closet. I am short and with the cubes (size about 12x12) I can pull the cube down to get to things I want.

I think too many people are confusing "flame retardant" with "fire proof". Many items, just by their very nature, are flame retardant. A plastic coat hanger (as an example) is flame retardant, meaning it will melt when exposed to open flames, but will not immediately burst into flames. A facial tissue (as an example) is not flame retardant, and will immediately burst into flames when exposed to an open flame. So, since most over the door organizers are typically made of vinyl, they would be flame retardant, just by their very nature. Those made out of some sort of fabric, such as canvas, may or may not be. The only thing I've seen posted by Carnival is that over the door organizers can only be used inside the cabin, and not hang on the outside of the cabin door. Which makes me wonder, has anyone, at any time, ever hung one on the outside? That would be really dumb.

I thought that, too, when I first read the rule. Who would do that?

So, if what you say is true (and I'm not sure it is - think 'flame retardant' PJ's) re: flame retardant, then the vast majority of the over-the-door organizers that passengers use are perfectly within the rules. But still, why the dumb rule?

Because they don't want them there and instead of simply banning them they are making it almost impossible to get one that complies with the rules.

If that's the case, that's just stupid. If they don't want it brought onboard, no need to be passive aggressive and round-about.:rolleyes: Just disallow it. Like they disallow so many other items.

Edited by ShakyBeef
typo

I was not aware of this policy. Where can you find the details? Also can you take the the collapsible type cubes. I always take a few to store things in on the top shelves of the closet. I am short and with the cubes (size about 12x12) I can pull the cube down to get to things I want.

I can't paste it right now, but if you go to Carnival's website and type 'door decorations' in the search box, it will bring up the new rules.

ETA: Absolutely, you can (and I do :D) take the collapsible cubes.

Edited by ShakyBeef

:oIt's a slow Saturday afternoon around here...

So, DH and I were just brainstorming to try to come up with any logical reason for requiring the oganizers to be flame retardant. And here's what he came up with: in case of a shipboard fire, a burning organizer hanging on the door could be a hazard to try to get through, plus it could degrade the burn time of a fire resistant door on which it is hanging.

If this is the reason for the rule, I would think making it the rule instead that they are only allowed on closet or bathroom doors would make much more sense. Just don't allow any kind of hanging anything on the cabin-to-hall door at all.

:oIt's a slow Saturday afternoon around here...

So, DH and I were just brainstorming to try to come up with any logical reason for requiring the oganizers to be flame retardant. And here's what he came up with: in case of a shipboard fire, a burning organizer hanging on the door could be a hazard to try to get through, plus it could degrade the burn time of a fire resistant door on which it is hanging.

If this is the reason for the rule, I would think making it the rule instead that they are only allowed on closet or bathroom doors would make much more sense. Just don't allow any kind of hanging anything on the cabin-to-hall door at all.

Agreed...I think some must have hung them on outside door ...that would be a hazard...in several ways.

Recently, on the Sunshine, we saw two cabin doors all decorated up with Happy Anniversary posters and streamers, pink flamingos, etc., really festive! The next day, one poster was left along with a notice from Carnival stating all exterior door decorations must be flame retardant . I can see their point, if trying to evacuate due to fire, that could very well be a hazard. I can't begrudge Carnival for putting precautions in place - anybody who has ever experienced an emergency situation at sea (like my spouse survived years ago) will be glad to explain how quickly you understand "how small my boat, how large Thy ocean"

We just returned from our 3rd cruise in 3 months and are leaving again on Saturday. I use a shoe organizer in the closet area and haven't had a problem. Not sure if this helps but I get sick of tripping on shoes with 3 of us in the room so I bring it.

This is the lst I have heard of this new rule. I don't take the shoe organizer, but we put paper signs on our cabin door. Will they ask me to take them down? Have done this every single cruise. Not a lot of them; I usually have our cruise history like in my signature and a few fun sayings and pictures. They are just on pieces of paper. I went to the CCL website as Shaky Beef suggested. I was able to see the CABIN decorations offered, but I can't find a place to put a search for "DOOR DECORATIONS." I was going to redo some things but won't bother if they are just going to ask me to take them down. :confused: Shaky Beef, I think that is a very good explanation of why they must have put this rule in place. ;)

This is the lst I have heard of this new rule. I don't take the shoe organizer, but we put paper signs on our cabin door. Will they ask me to take them down? Have done this every single cruise. Not a lot of them; I usually have our cruise history like in my signature and a few fun sayings and pictures. They are just on pieces of paper. I went to the CCL website as Shaky Beef suggested. I was able to see the CABIN decorations offered, but I can't find a place to put a search for "DOOR DECORATIONS." I was going to redo some things but won't bother if they are just going to ask me to take them down. :confused: Shaky Beef, I think that is a very good explanation of why they must have put this rule in place. ;)

Hi Crusin Karen, I'm sorry, I meant the search box on Carnival's FAQ page. If you type "door decorations" in that search box, it will bring up this:

"Decorating Your Stateroom Door and Stateroom

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

• Only use fire retardant materials; items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable.
  • Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings.
  • To affix materials to your stateroom door, you may use magnets and Command Strips.
  • Do not use adhesives such as tape or glue that will leave residue.
  • Over-the-door hanging organizers may only be used if they are fire retardant and do not damage the door. (Must hang inside the stateroom.)
  • No decorations of any kind on balconies.
  • No string lights of any kind.

Important: If decorations are deemed to be a fire hazard or unsafe, they will be removed.

We thank you for your understanding and cooperation."

Hope this helps.:)

Thanks ShakyBeef, didn't mean for you to go to all that trouble! :o I think I should be fine. Matter of fact, the room stewards who pass the door and see my cruise history always love reading all the different ships we have sailed! ;)

No trouble at all. I just couldn't cut-and-paste it yesterday because of a computer issue, or I would have. I'm glad you'll still be able to do your decorations. This is an example of what I find CC really good for - finding out stuff like this before I go, so I can be prepared and not disappointed/annoyed while on my cruise.:)

Some people will take all but the kitchen sink along with them on a cruise!

I have cut back in my cruise packing over the years, however, I still like to take about 14 pairs of shoes and numerous belts. For years I never took an over the door organizer, since most people talked about how they used them for things other than shoes and I had no interest in that. But one cruise when my shoes were in a jumbled mess in the closet, it dawned on me to bring an over the door shoe organizer for what it was intended. Shoes. Ever since, I am an organized and happy cruiser. I seriously wouldn't cruise without one now.

I'll be taking Command Hooks with me in April, just in case I get scolded for using the original hanging hooks. I love opening my cruise closet door and seeing all my shoes and belts in one organized section. Hey! Whatever floats your boat. Right?!?

Suggestion: fold it in half (with the pockets to the outside) and hang it INSIDE the wardrobe door. Out of sight, out of the way. Depending on the ship, one of the wardrobes contain shelves only, no hanging clothes. This is the best one because there is more room inside the door for the organizer to hang. We typically don't use all of the pockets, so folding it in half works well for us. But if you do use all of the pockets, you can still get to them.

Suggestion: fold it in half (with the pockets to the outside) and hang it INSIDE the wardrobe door. Out of sight, out of the way. Depending on the ship, one of the wardrobes contain shelves only, no hanging clothes. This is the best one because there is more room inside the door for the organizer to hang. We typically don't use all of the pockets, so folding it in half works well for us. But if you do use all of the pockets, you can still get to them.

This is what I do, except for the folding part. Why do you fold it? Maybe yours is longer than mine - mine is about 4 feet long and fits inside the wardrobe at full length. I like having it tucked away, out of sight.:)