current safety concerns with mexico crusie

cruiseluver007

I'm all new to this cruise world and this forum. Please be gentle if this is dumb question :p

I understand that safety could still be the issue with borders.

Just trying to understand what's current situation with safety concerns for the cruise from california to mexico ports.

appreciate your help and thanks.

As someone who lives there part-time, I can say that if you don't do anything stupid, you'll be perfectly fine. That advice also applies to any area in the US. Don't walk around at night, don't drive at night, and don't wander into areas you wouldn't wander into in any large US city. Although there are certain areas in Mexico I no longer would go to, they aren't on the Mexican Riviera.

I'm all new to this cruise world and this forum. Please be gentle if this is dumb question :p

I understand that safety could still be the issue with borders.

Just trying to understand what's current situation with safety concerns for the cruise from california to mexico ports.

appreciate your help and thanks.

Your question will bring answers based on personal opinion. As a general rule of thumb, cruise lines drop a port from their itineraries when condition ashore have the potential to endanger their passengers. Acapulco & Mazatlan are currently off the "safe for cruise passenger" list.

Those of us that spend quite a bit of time in the established Mexican Riviera tourist/cruise destinations wouldn't do that if we were putting ourselves and our families in danger.

If it will make you feel better, and that is what your question is all about, check out the current travel warning at State. You won't find any negative information for any of the ports currently visited by the cruise industry. The tens of thousands of us that visit Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta every year don't have a death wish!!

Enjoy!!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

We have cruised to all the Mexican Riviera destinations many times! We are sad that the cruise lines have pulled out of some of the more interesting cities and hope that they decide to go back soon. There are many USA and Canadian citizens who spend the winter in these cities on land and they have not stopped doing so because of danger.

MOST of the violence has been drug cartel vs drug cartel.

It is true that other people have sometimes gotten caught in the crossfire but you know that here in the USA there are many people also killed by gun violence sooooo just go and enjoy your cruise. You cannot guarantee your safety anywhere in the world!

I've just returned from a wonderful 3-week stay in Puerto Vallarta. We did all our normal activities, including walking down the hill from our favorite restaurants to the malecon after dark, taking taxis and the bus everywhere, and enjoying the wonderful food and friendly people.

We live in Puerto Vallarta during much of the winter (am there now) and our biggest (and only) fear are the Margaritas. You see, there is just no telling how strong they might be in various places...with very interesting results :) If I buy a dollar margarita at the Cheeky Monkey or Sea Monkey I have little fear. But last night we were at Tony's Please (a small restaurant popular with those who know) and a single margarita almost put me under the table. And yes, I did fear the walk back to our condo after dinner. After that margarita there was a major danger of falling off the sidewalk!

Ok, enough of the truth of living in PV...where the major dangers are truly too much booze and getting hit by a wild bus. Most of the cruise ships that come down the Western Coast of Mexico stop at Cabo and PV...and these two cities are probably a lot safer (crime wise) then your front yard.

Hank

our biggest (and only) fear are the Margaritas. You see, there is just no telling how strong they might be in various places...with very interesting results :) Hank

I can relate...:D...very interesting results indeed!

As with any new place you visit (not just Mexico), act responsibly and be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine. I would have no qualms of taking another cruise to the MR...and hope to next year.

My son vacations in Puerto Vallarta for 2-3 weeks every fall and has not seen any problems. They are in an area where they have friends and know the businesses. But they don't go walking down the street at night drunk and they're not flashing money around.

Within the next few days, we will be booking a Sea of Cortez cruise, a repeat for us. Like others have said, be aware, don't get drunk, pay attention.

Hlitner you neglected to mention the danger of crossing that wild road to get from Walmart back to the cruise ship :eek: Truly MORE frightening that being lost on the New Orleans waterfront after dark :eek:

(and I loved your margarita-danger description ;) )

the danger of crossing that wild road to get from Walmart back to the cruise ship :eek: Truly MORE frightening that being lost on the New Orleans waterfront after dark :eek:

)

Even though there's a light there, at least one day 2 weeks ago when a cruise ship was in, there was a policeman directing traffic...actually I think the sole purpose was in directing pedestrians, as the lights were working fine. I prefer to cross the street where the signals aren't...it's easy to cross a lane or two at a time...not so easy to pay attention to all the traffic at an intersection. Some intersections are set up just like in the U.S., but others are totally different, so it can be confusing.

We live in Puerto Vallarta during much of the winter (am there now) and our biggest (and only) fear are the Margaritas. You see, there is just no telling how strong they might be in various places...with very interesting results :) If I buy a dollar margarita at the Cheeky Monkey or Sea Monkey I have little fear. But last night we were at Tony's Please (a small restaurant popular with those who know) and a single margarita almost put me under the table. And yes, I did fear the walk back to our condo after dinner. After that margarita there was a major danger of falling off the sidewalk!

Ok, enough of the truth of living in PV...where the major dangers are truly too much booze and getting hit by a wild bus. Most of the cruise ships that come down the Western Coast of Mexico stop at Cabo and PV...and these two cities are probably a lot safer (crime wise) then your front yard.

Hank

And here I thought that the strong margs at Tony's were a urban legend :) YUM...how was dinner? Do you remember?

Sol's Cazadore Margaritas at Cafe Bohemio are always strong, tasty and pack a punch......

Things I fear while visting Puerto Vallarta:

My weight will increase ten fold....the food is soo good

My Liver will protest......Margaritas, Coco Locos, Palomas YUM

Sidewalk curbs....especially dangerous after a few of the above

Ankles swelling......drink lots of water, too much sun and drinks add up

And here I thought that the strong margs at Tony's were a urban legend :) YUM...how was dinner? Do you remember?

Sol's Cazadore Margaritas at Cafe Bohemio are always strong, tasty and pack a punch......

Things I fear while visting Puerto Vallarta:

My weight will increase ten fold....the food is soo good

My Liver will protest......Margaritas, Coco Locos, Palomas YUM

Sidewalk curbs....especially dangerous after a few of the above

Ankles swelling......drink lots of water, too much sun and drinks add up

Loved dinner at Tony's (as always). Their strange but wonderful Crepes are in my dreams when we are not in PV and DW just loves the Frogs Legs (hard to find this at most restaurants in PV). As to ankles swelling, we hear ya. Have tried to deal with that by drinking more Margaritas (the ice cubes are made of water) but it does not seem to help with the ankles. However, after a few of those drinks its hard to care :)

Hank

NCL is still cruising to Mazatlan. I am pretty safe on vacation (well probably all the time) but I will admit the photos of Acapulco were a little unnerving. I think I will spend the next year.....ugh a year away still....just checking out photos of sunsets. :)

NCL is still cruising to Mazatlan. I am pretty safe on vacation (well probably all the time) but I will admit the photos of Acapulco were a little unnerving. I think I will spend the next year.....ugh a year away still....just checking out photos of sunsets. :)

The itinerary shows Mazatlan now, however, in the future you will receive information on a itinerary change.

When I booked my Princess cruise about a year ago, it showed us going to Mazatlan, got an email about six months later saying we are going to Ensenada instead.

Just be prepared for a change.

From the BBC News, Feb 8, 2013

"Police are searching for masked gunmen who raped six Spanish women in a rented beach house near the Mexican holiday resort of Acapulco, after tying up their Spanish male companions. It's a crime that has shocked many who thought they knew Mexico well.

Even in a country where brutality has become the norm, this story hit many people hard."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21385427

Of cities(300K population or more) in the world with the highest murder rates --- 5 of the Top-10 are in Mexico.

#4 on that list is Acapulco @ 128 homicides per 100K.

#15 on that list is Mazatlan @ 69 homicides per 100K

By comparison, the cities in the U.S. with the highest rate come in at:

#21 New Orleans @ 58 homicides per 100k of population

#30 Detroit @ 48 homicides per 100k of population

Those stats are just a factual reality.

One's chances of getting caught in the crossfire or being a victim of a violent crime are simply going to be highest in certain Mexican municipalities. That's why the cruise lines have pulled those particular ports from their planned sailing itineraries for the present and near future.

That stated, Neither Cabos San Lucas nor Puerto Vallarta (or even Cancun) are even close to finding their way on to the list of the "World's Most Dangerous Cities"....So one can generally be assured of a safe enjoyable time as long as they aren't venturing too far outside of the tourist friendly areas into the more dangerous neighborhoods (where most tourists never go anyways).

The chances of having a violent crime occur against one may actually be the same or higher in their U.S. embarkation/departure city (Ie. Los Angeles, San Diego, Miami etc.) than in the Mexican Riviera ports that the cruise lines still visit.

Edited by Skai

From the BBC News, Feb 8, 2013

"Police are searching for masked gunmen who raped six Spanish women in a rented beach house near the Mexican holiday resort of Acapulco, after tying up their Spanish male companions. It's a crime that has shocked many who thought they knew Mexico well.

Even in a country where brutality has become the norm, this story hit many people hard."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21385427

From what I have read on line in the local MX newspapers it is pretty clear that buying drugs on vacation is not a good idea :(

This could have happened anywhere in the world, I am sure it has.

Don't think the average cruiser will ever run into this what so ever,

Of cities(300K population or more) in the world with the highest murder rates --- 5 of the Top-10 are in Mexico.

#4 on that list is Acapulco @ 128 homicides per 100K.

#15 on that list is Mazatlan @ 69 homicides per 100K

By comparison, the cities in the U.S. with the highest rate come in at:

#21 New Orleans @ 58 homicides per 100k of population

#30 Detroit @ 48 homicides per 100k of population

Those stats are just a factual reality.

One's chances of getting caught in the crossfire or being a victim of a violent crime are simply going to be highest in certain Mexican municipalities. That's why the cruise lines have pulled those particular ports from their planned sailing itineraries for the present and near future.

That stated, Neither Cabos San Lucas nor Puerto Vallarta (or even Cancun) are even close to finding their way on to the list of the "World's Most Dangerous Cities"....So one can generally be assured of a safe enjoyable time as long as they aren't venturing too far outside of the tourist friendly areas into the more dangerous neighborhoods (where most tourists never go anyways).

The chances of having a violent crime occur against one may actually be the same or higher in their U.S. embarkation/departure city (Ie. Los Angeles, San Diego, Miami etc.) than in the Mexican Riviera ports that the cruise lines still visit.

Good job on the stats. I like Mexico and there are a number of cities there that are reasonably safe to visit. However, violent crime has been growing in Mexico, so it is advisable to check media reports or crime stats before going off the cruise port itinerary. If cruise ships stop there, it is reasonably safe. But there have been reports of shore excursions outside of the port city having occasional problems with armed bandits.

Bad info here.

NCL doesn't have any ships doing the West coast of Mexico since the Star was moved.

Good job on the stats. I like Mexico and there are a number of cities there that are reasonably safe to visit. However, violent crime has been growing in Mexico, so it is advisable to check media reports or crime stats before going off the cruise port itinerary. If cruise ships stop there, it is reasonably safe. But there have been reports of shore excursions outside of the port city having occasional problems with armed bandits.

That has happened in places other than Mexico, so the advice of checking crime stats really should apply to all cruise ship ports, especially some of the Caribbean Islands.