workers comp and cruising

luckyinpa

was it in jeopardy because you went on a cruise and missed some physical therapy appts.? cruise was planned before the injury

also the person has a physical job and cannot objectively do what they are supposed to. PT tests show that. if it was a desk job they would be be at work long time ago

but PT is 2 or 3x a week but it seems silly for them to miss a cruise because of that but then again i doubt WC would pay for someone to go on vacation. and its impossible to stack 2 days of PT aligning up with a cruise schedule. so by definition they have to miss 2 PT in order to cruise.

i'm also assuming if you say illness to miss the 2 PT that they would want a DR note. and they really dont wanna call WC up and say hey can i go on vacation. that would really be a red flag.

Edited by luckyinpa

that may be the key. they do know their every appt but if the DR says you need a week off rest then resume i guess would be following DR orders. just also wonder if is such a thing as suspending WC for a week.

Well, that would seem that the person thinks they are doing something wrong. It is unclear to me why people try to game the system. Breaking rules and getting caught could result in the loss of benefits. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

Perhaps they should call the person handling their case, instead of asking strangers on a chat board who know nothing about this claim.
I can understand why someone would not necessarily want to call attention to the fact that they're thinking of doing something that they are not sure is legitimate, specifically drawing the attention of the person who is most responsible for ensuring that they are doing everything properly.

I can understand why someone would not necessarily want to call attention to the fact that they're thinking of doing something that they are not sure is legitimate, specifically drawing the attention of the person who is most responsible for ensuring that they are doing everything properly.

Yes, following the rules is such a drag.

The OP should definitely check with the people involved in their case.

On the other hand, being off work due to a WC claim does not necessarily prevent someone from a cruise or any other vacation. It depends on the situation. I know of someone who is perfectly capable of flying in a plane, getting on a ship, sitting in a lounge chair, eating a meal, drinking a drink, taking a walk, etc. He just cannot move his arm as it is in a sling. His company does not have light duty work for him that doesn't require the use of both arms, so he cannot go to his job, by their choice, not his.

If he were to vacation, they may not pay him for his time away, but he hasn't done anything wrong morally or legally.

Interesting question. In my former life I managed a department that covered different unions. We had one truck driver who requested vacation at the last minute. It was turned down because he doubled as a laborer, one laborer out of 3 had vacation scheduled that week. The foreman was also on vacation which meant another laborer was acting foreman, leaving 3 our of 5 employees to work on the crew.

Thinking he would be cleaver, the truck driver developed some pain/injury and filed for workers comp thinking he could go to the beach. He was cleared for light duty. He thought there was not much he could do in the office and could spend the week lazing in the sun. You can be sure I found something for him to do in the office. After one day, his pain mysteriously disappeared.

Not saying the op does not have a legitimate injury but I would think long and hard about going away based on opinions on this form. If it is legitimate and the cruise was booked well in advance I recommend he/she check with workers comp doctors and physical therapy.

My wife fell and broke her back 11/4/2015. We had a cruise booked for the last of the month and had to cancel. She had surgery and a year later we went on a 7 night cruise. She is still drawing a check for 25% disability and will be until the end of the year.

So the OP may not want to contact the people who can say for certain if what they want to do is or is not in violation of their benefits for fear they could jeopardize them, so instead they are turning to people who are not likely in a position to know the correct answer for sure for advice that, if followed, could result in a jeopardy to their benefits.

Hmmm.........good luck with that one!

Well, that would seem that the person thinks they are doing something wrong. It is unclear to me why people try to game the system. Breaking rules and getting caught could result in the loss of benefits. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

What would you have them do? Cancel the cruise and forfeit the money?

If you read what they said you'll notice they paid for a cruise and THEN got hurt. How is that gaming the system? Are you saying they got hurt on purpose or they went back in time and booked the cruise knowing they would get hurt? :confused:

I would call and ask. Be straight up. We booked the cruise pre injury and still want to go. I can work with my PT to continue the exercises on the ship as well as get medically cleared by my doctor. Had I been at work, this would have been my vacation time anyway.

Worst WCB says is no. Then get it in writing and file the insurance claim (If you already have it).

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

It is quite possible that your WC caseworker is reading your post .

What would you have them do? Cancel the cruise and forfeit the money?

If you read what they said you'll notice they paid for a cruise and THEN got hurt. How is that gaming the system? Are you saying they got hurt on purpose or they went back in time and booked the cruise knowing they would get hurt? :confused:

If "...they paid for the cruise and THEN got hurt..." time off must already have been scheduled -- so why would they feel entitled to comp - which is obviously only contemplated if an injury is keeping someone from working?

What rule is the OP not following?

Some states have very strict rules about things you can do while on Workmans Comp- California is one of them. Travel outside the US is specifically mentioned (forbidden while on Comp) in California.

My recommendation for the OP- if you wish Workman's Comp to take care of you fully and transparently, returning you to the best possible condition, perhaps you owe it to Workman's Comp to follow their rules and be open and transparent with them. Maybe they will be ok with your travel, maybe they will not.

So many times I hear about complaints about Workman's Comp, then the more I hear from the complainer, I hear the complainer not following the directions, insisting they know better than the Comp people, etc. Not the right mind set for a "best outcome".

Some states have very strict rules ...
You missed my point. I asked what rule was the OP not following? I asked the question that way because 6rugrats made the statement that 6rugrats made.

Asking questions is not breaking rules.

I would call and ask. Be straight up. We booked the cruise pre injury and still want to go. I can work with my PT to continue the exercises on the ship as well as get medically cleared by my doctor. Had I been at work, this would have been my vacation time anyway.

Worst WCB says is no. Then get it in writing and file the insurance claim (If you already have it).

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

I hope the OP does exactly what you say. Clearly the OP feels there may be some problems or the question wouldn't have been asked. Why game the system and risk committing a fraud. Be up front and ask.