4 Women; 1 Bath

Cruising with lifelong friends (moms/daughters -- all adults). Will have a quad balcony cabin. First time I've shared a cabin with anyone but my husband. Looking for suggestions -- from those who have done this -- for ways to make sharing the space as pleasant as possible.

Packing to use less closet space. Organizational suggestions (to keep clutter to a minimum). Snoring & earplugs. "Facilities" etiquette.

Any personal experience you can share, and what you learned from it, would be appreciated.

What ship? There are vast differences in organization depending on ship and cabin type.

Generally- luggage gets stored under the beds. Triple up on hangars. Pack lightly.

Most cabins have one or two outlets. One might be 220v, bring an adapter. Depending on the ship it could be British or German style.

Bathrooms are usually small. Only bathroom 'duties' done there. Everything else is done in the cabin. Some will go to the Spa to shower.

Some will use pocket holders to organize their stuff.

Take an over the door shoe hanger - to keep all the clutter organized, papers, sunglasses, all that kind of stuff. The bathroom is for showers, etc. - all makeup, hair drying, etc. can be done in the cabin. Make a decision on who takes the longest to get ready - then that person is assigned to go first, the next 2nd, 3rd. You don't need 4 bottles of hairspray, 4 curling irons etc. - decide who bring what and do away with multiples.

I once shared a standard verandah cabin on Celebrity with my daughter and a friend - being organized was the key but once was enough for me. :)

I have traveled with other women many times. In a hotel, we usually have 4 to a room. We each pick a corner for our stuff and try to do all our "getting ready" there. We take turns in the bathroom and it helps if some can shower at night and some in the morning. On a cruise, we do the same, but the space is tighter. Storage is a problem, but we just make do. Some stuff can be left in suitcases and the case slid in and out to get things (like underwear). When we travel with our adult daughter, she gets the bathroom last because she likes to sleep in, and we are up at dawn. We don't try to be quiet, but just get ready as usual. We usually have an activity we need to get to anyway. There are usually 2 mirrors in the cabin, so DH and I have one each, she has the bathroom.

One thing not to forget: bathroom room deodorant spray!! The bathroom does not have a vent. (TMI, sorry). Small travel sizes are available at Bath and Body Works stores and other stores like that.

Margee

Cruising with lifelong friends (moms/daughters -- all adults). Will have a quad balcony cabin. First time I've shared a cabin with anyone but my husband. Looking for suggestions -- from those who have done this -- for ways to make sharing the space as pleasant as possible.

Packing to use less closet space. Organizational suggestions (to keep clutter to a minimum). Snoring & earplugs. "Facilities" etiquette.

Any personal experience you can share, and what you learned from it, would be appreciated.

I rarely advocate using an over the door organizer (the kind for shoes) but this is one time I would definitely recommend that one person bring one and you all share it for things like sunscreen, toiletries, etc.

Your steward will provide as many extra hangers as you need. Just ask.

If all of your suitcases will not fit under the bed, ask your steward if there is someplace he can store them for you. Many times they have access to a storage closet for that purpose.

I

One thing not to forget: bathroom room deodorant spray!! The bathroom does not have a vent. (TMI, sorry). Small travel sizes are available at Bath and Body Works stores and other stores like that.

Margee

Get "Just a Drop" for the toilet. It helps.:o

4 women in 1 bath doesn't work on a cruise ship.

The baths are small, you won't all fit in together so you'll have to take it in turn. ;)

I totally agree. My dear sister recently took a cruise with friends from high school, four in a room, and she said never, ever again. By the end of the cruise, they were barely talking to one another. These same ladies take trips together frequently, so it wasn't like it was a new thing, but seeing how a ship cabin is so much smaller than most hotel rooms, the whole set up didn't work. Not enough storage, or places to discretely dress. Not enough space for them to do their hair and makeup. And then the whole toilet thing. And using a public restroom didn't work because who wants to have to lug all that stuff to a public restroom---plus there are no electric outlets.

You are really brave to attempt this. I have sailed with my college age son and daughter in one cabin - but that was only 3 of us. Can't imagine doing that with 3 other ladies :eek:

No matter how well organized and prepared you are - I don't think it is worth the possibility of being miserable for a week. I would rather sail in an inside cabin or outside cabin with 2 per than 1 balcony cabin and 4 ladies. Is that an option? I don't know that you will all enjoy the balcony anyway.....

If you do attempt it you have received some good suggestions here already.

For me personally I would never do 4 to a cabin. I have done 3 and after that never again. But if you must just be organized.......divide up the drawer space and bathroom space for your clothes and toiletries. Make a schedule for using the shower. Good luck!

I hope you aren't thinking of an inside cabin! You will feel so trapped and claustrophobic with 4 adults in there. At the minimum get a balcony so one or two of you can sit out there while the others are getting ready. Otherwise, try two connecting inside cabins to spread out in.

I go off for weekends with 4 girlfriends in a room at land resorts, and that has worked out well. But, the rooms are much larger and the bathrooms are also larger so two can be doing our hair and makeup at the same time. But you won't have that same amount of space on a ship. I would never do what you are thinking of.

Good luck!

Edited by PTMary

I'm compiling all of your comments, ideas and warnings into a word doc to share with the others. None of us have ever done this before, but I'm at platinum on CCL and we wanted the convenience of boarding together & having the cabin ready. A waiting cabin with quick luggage delivery will at least give ua a good start -- and I'm hoping I can encourage the others to organize belongings as soon as we get onboard.

Have purchased four sets of ear plugs, but thanks for including that, Paul. Not even going to recommend the others buy/bring them...will just have them ready.

Also planned to get an over the door shoe bag, Jane -- but having this on my list will make sure I buy one! Luckily none of us are primpers, but I'd venture a guess the others might want their own toiletries ... still, I'll suggest your "share" strategy.

I think staggering (some night, some a.m.) showers is a good idea, Margee, and I could do either, so that's a good suggestion. I also like the set rule of "we're not being overly quiet because you want to sleep when we're up" and I think everyone thinking about that before we're onboard will be helpful (and with ear plugs available, the responsibility for quiet can fall on the sleeper).

Always have Scentsy in my toiletries, Margee & CruiseMuse, and recently learned of m9 odor eliminator by Hollister (used in hospitals). Together they're awesome...but I might look into 'Just a Drop' as well. Probably can't be over-covered in this area =]

Have asked for extra hangers before without problem, but was planning to pack a few too, Mary Kay -- but I'd never heard of storing suitcases elsewhere, so I'll keep that in mind. Mine store inside each other, so that will help a bit.

I think, with our bunk, we'll also have easier access to the storage space above the closet, so that might be a secondary space for suitcases, though I like the idea of using them as under-bed drawers too.

Thanks for the warning, Tracie. The four of us have traveled together lots of times -- even in an RV -- so we'll find a way to make do. Though it's possible we'll all say 'never again' too. I'll let you know when we return.

We're booked with no turning back options, Linda. We usually do separate cabins, but decided to risk it this way -- and we are getting some good suggestions here!

Thanks for the good luck wish, Marie -- we may need it. One thing we have working for us is that we're all night owls, and I'm the only early bird (so I'm taking the sofa bed). None of us are 'stay in the cabin' types, so that should help too. And we have the balcony to spread out some.

I think my biggest concern is I'm the only neat-freak...though the others all know this, so if I look the other way half the time and they make half an effort, maybe even that will be ok (am hoping!).

Thanks again for your thoughts! I'm already starting to wonder how big of an 'extra' tip our cabin steward is about to earn....

Nancy

p.s. to John Bull: we will take turns hahahaha

I use command hooks on each side of the "hall" (bathroom on one aide and closet on the other) as you come into the cabin. I then hang a curtain/drape there for my three kids that share a room to dress and undress behind. Works great so they don't always have to be in the bathroom to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I use command hooks on each side of the "hall" (bathroom on one aide and closet on the other) as you come into the cabin. I then hang a curtain/drape there for my three kids that share a room to dress and undress behind. Works great so they don't always have to be in the bathroom to do this.

AWESOME idea -- thank you!

Look up "sharing cabin" by real blonde under Solos, last post 29 June. She changed from 4 in cabin to 2 cabins after several responses.

Not sure Realblonde474 is asking the same question. She's talking about cruising with co-workers, whereas our group has traveled quite a bit together and known each other literally all of our lives. She's asking how to be a considerate cabinmate with someone she's never roomed with & we're well over that hump...just hoping to gather space sharing ideas to make it more pleasant (I know we won't think of everything).

Also don't see her saying they changed to 2/cabin. I think her second post was a clarification that they're not going quad. I think the Tminish post began the "all together" assumption and it took off from there.

Really appreciate you sharing that post though. Had I seen it first, I might have joined in or written my initial post differently.

As mentioned in my second post of this thread, we're booked with "no turning back" options...luckily, I'm sure we'll survive and remain good friends, just hoping to think ahead & plan/pack accordingly.

p.s. to Mary Ellen -- I found the post/thread, but it took a while. Nice of you to provide a link.

Even with all these sharing tips, I wouldn't do it! Not my idea of a lovely cruise. Good Luck!

Not my idea of a lovely cruise either ... that option became no longer available when my husband passed. This one is for good girlfriends and I'm optimistic we'll enjoy it.

If you think of any tips to share, please do.