CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

You're coming in on a TA, which is unusual for Cape Liberty, so it's hard to predict how the timing will work and when they will actually clear the ship for disembarkation. For the regular Cape Liberty schedule, disembarkations were running late for a lot of the year even though the ship arrived by 6:30-7:00 am.

If you were able to score a really low disembarkation number with an early time, you would be OK for your flight. They are very good about getting the luggage off, so lack of luggage is usually not an issue. Getting a porter usually gets you to cut the customs and immigration line. Quite frankly, it's always an option to just walk off the ship. It should take no more than 30 minutes to get to the airport, but you want to have some wiggle time for traffic.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Mike please let me know what you found it. I have a similar question.

Thanks.

Is a cab from EWR airport and return the best and easiest option or is there a shuttle available?

Current prices and any additional recommendations.

Two traveling with 2 suitcases.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Carol:

You are very observant. Did not notice that the post was from 2012.

I am trying to find the name of a shuttle service from EWR to the cruise port of Port Liberty.

Have used Go shuttle before, but only to a hotel. Do not think GO shuttle goes to the port, but still checking.

Thanks

What date are you doing this? Are you flying in the morning of the cruise? What time would you arrive? If you're flying in the night before, what hotel are you staying at? How many people are you?

There really isn't a shuttle service to Cape Liberty other than the ship transfers.

Hi Carol:

We are flying in December 1. We decided this time to not go a day ahead. We always do when it is Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

The problem is that we have a 6:30 flight, that will only take about 1-1/2 hours.

So we will be at the EWR airport real early.

If we take the ship transfer we might have to wait a bit until they get a bus load of people.

We prefer the shuttles to taxi. But in this case maybe our best best would be a taxi, or maybe I can find out how long we have to wait before the cruise shuttle comes. They might not tell me .

Hi Carol:

We are flying in December 1. We decided this time to not go a day ahead. We always do when it is Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

The problem is that we have a 6:30 flight, that will only take about 1-1/2 hours.

So we will be at the EWR airport real early.

If we take the ship transfer we might have to wait a bit until they get a bus load of people.

We prefer the shuttles to taxi. But in this case maybe our best best would be a taxi, or maybe I can find out how long we have to wait before the cruise shuttle comes. They might not tell me .

That's risky. I hope you have a plan B in case of bad weather as well as trip insurance. The Quantum takes several days to get to San Juan - it's a big no no to miss a ship sailing from Bayonne.

As I posted to you on another thread, take a cab to the port and the shuttle back. This will be less than the cruise transfers and much easier. There are no private shuttles that operate EWR to Cape Liberty - this port does not work the same way as Florida does. It does not cater to cruisers, but there is a ton of transportation available. EWR to Cape Liberty is an unpredictable trip. It can take 20 minutes with no traffic, but more typically is 45 minutes or more from the airport to the luggage drop off.

Hi,

Thanks to the local contributors to this thread; it is most kind and helpful!

We will be cruising on Summit on a Sunday and also returning on a Sunday.

Our daughter lives in Morrstown, NJ, so we plan to stay with her (& brand new grandbaby) before and after our 14 night cruise. We are looking at best options for travel between Morristown and the port.

We'll be driving from Farmington, CT and prefer to just park our car at our DD's for the 2 weeks.

We have decided to (most likely) use Uber to get TO port. I checked it out this morning, and the quote showed $51 to $69, depending on traffic. Mapping her address to Cape Liberty shows:

NJ-24 E 29.19 miles, 36 mins based on current traffic (Sun morn around 11:30 AM)

My question is in regards to our return ride from Cape Liberty to Morristown. Does anybody have experience with how difficult/long a wait it is to get Uber to pick you up from the Cruise Terminal? I believe we would have to collect our luggage and be heading outside before using Uber app to request a ride.

We have been picked up at Cape Liberty by a car service once, and had quite a long cold wait for them to be able to get up that one access road to the terminal. That was, however, in Feb and during a snow storm! I would hope the weather on 10/19 would be comfortable enough for a covered, outdoor wait.

The Uber app quoted the route back to Morristown at around Noon today (Sunday) as $87 to $106

NJ-24 E 29.19 miles --36 mins based on current traffic --

Neither quote includes the recently-announced 20% NYC area rate discount, but they could end it before Oct 19th.

Parking our own vehicle would cost $19/night x 14= $266 (or more if tax is added and/or we need to pay for 15 days for a 14 night cruise).

Even w/o the 20% discount, Uber would seem to be less expensive at at maximum (approx) cost of $175.

Would love to hear of personal experience with Uber. I have had the Uber app on my iPhone for about a year but haven't used it yet.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jane

Hi Carol:

Thanks for the reply. yes, we do have insurance.

Our flight is 6:30 in the morning, and in case of bad weather we can get on the next flight, as there is still plenty of time.

If it does not work out, I guess we will have to fly into San Juan.

Again, thanks for all your help.

PS Carol:

Weather is unpredictable I know, but we checked the weather previously for Cape Liberty, and it says it is in the high 40's in December.

We did not think there was that much for us to do in the hotel. Shopping mall across the road from some hotels, but we have a walking disability. Been to New York, so we are taking a chance this time, and hope it will turn out okay.

thanks again.

Hi,

Thanks to the local contributors to this thread; it is most kind and helpful!

We will be cruising on Summit on a Sunday and also returning on a Sunday.

Our daughter lives in Morrstown, NJ, so we plan to stay with her (& brand new grandbaby) before and after our 14 night cruise. We are looking at best options for travel between Morristown and the port.

We'll be driving from Farmington, CT and prefer to just park our car at our DD's for the 2 weeks.

We have decided to (most likely) use Uber to get TO port. I checked it out this morning, and the quote showed $51 to $69, depending on traffic. Mapping her address to Cape Liberty shows:

My question is in regards to our return ride from Cape Liberty to Morristown. Does anybody have experience with how difficult/long a wait it is to get Uber to pick you up from the Cruise Terminal? I believe we would have to collect our luggage and be heading outside before using Uber app to request a ride.

We have been picked up at Cape Liberty by a car service once, and had quite a long cold wait for them to be able to get up that one access road to the terminal. That was, however, in Feb and during a snow storm! I would hope the weather on 10/19 would be comfortable enough for a covered, outdoor wait.

The Uber app quoted the route back to Morristown at around Noon today (Sunday) as $87 to $106

Neither quote includes the recently-announced 20% NYC area rate discount, but they could end it before Oct 19th.

Parking our own vehicle would cost $19/night x 14= $266 (or more if tax is added and/or we need to pay for 15 days for a 14 night cruise).

Even w/o the 20% discount, Uber would seem to be less expensive at at maximum (approx) cost of $175.

Would love to hear of personal experience with Uber. I have had the Uber app on my iPhone for about a year but haven't used it yet.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jane

No one has posted about using Uber in this area. I would be looking at leaving around 10 am to go to Cape Liberty. Once at Cape Liberty I would take a few minutes to talk to the taxi dispatcher to ask for a quote to go to Morristown when you return. That would give you something to compare an Uber price to for your return trip.

Parking at the pier for 14 days is $266 tax included.

No one has posted about using Uber in this area. I would be looking at leaving around 10 am to go to Cape Liberty. Once at Cape Liberty I would take a few minutes to talk to the taxi dispatcher to ask for a quote to go to Morristown when you return. That would give you something to compare an Uber price to for your return trip.

Parking at the pier for 14 days is $266 tax included.

Sounds like very good advice, Carol!

Just out of curiosity, on a 14 night/15 day cruise, are you charged for the extra day of parking if the ship happens to return later than your arrival time?

Thanks!

Jane

Sounds like very good advice, Carol!

Just out of curiosity, on a 14 night/15 day cruise, are you charged for the extra day of parking if the ship happens to return later than your arrival time?

Thanks!

Jane

You pay "up front" based on the number of nights sailed.

We leave on 8/14 on the Explorer - last time we cruised from Bayonne was years ago. We are driving and parking at the port. With all the construction, etc, what are the best directions to get to the port? We would probably be coming across the Outerbridge from Staten Island.

Thanks in advance!

We leave on 8/14 on the Explorer - last time we cruised from Bayonne was years ago. We are driving and parking at the port. With all the construction, etc, what are the best directions to get to the port? We would probably be coming across the Outerbridge from Staten Island.

Thanks in advance!

If you're coming from Long Island across the Verrazano Bridge, you take I278 west to route 440 north across the Bayonne Bridge to the port. The Bayonne Bridge is not closed on summer weekends.

Breaking news on Bayonne Bridge closures. They announced today that the bridge will be closed the first three weekends in August. This will not affect your departure, but it will affect your return trip.

You will have to take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 13 in Elizabeth and take the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island to the Verrazano to get back to Long Island. The other option is to take the Holland Tunnel to New York and get to Long

Island across the East River.

Actually, the Bayonne will be closed this weekend. (Staten Islander knowledge).

Check here as you get closer to make sure.

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories.html?tabnum=4

If it is closed, take the Goethals and Turnpike North to Exit 14a. Follow the signs to 440 and it'll be on your left. You could also go through Manhattan and the Holland tunnel if need be.

There is so much info on this thread! Could someone please summarize the transportation options from Bayonne Cruise port ( arriving on Quantam) to NYC?

We're definitely considering using public transportation but open to taxi/shuttle/private car too. Thank you!

Where are you going in Manhattan?

1). Pre book a private car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo

2) go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty and arrange livery service to NYC

3). Public transit. Go to the taxi dispatcher and get a shuttle (about $4/pp) to the light rail station in Bayonne at 34th St. (Hudson-Bergen light rail under NJ Transit). Take the light rail ($2.10/pp) to Hoboken. Transfer to PATH to 33rd St, which is at 6th Ave in Manhattan near Macy's with stops along 6th Ave from 8th St to 33rd St($2.50/pp). Take a cab to your destination. This is an easy trip after the morning rush hour - all flat surfaces and elevators and not a lot of walking. You should be able to get seats on the light rail and definitely on PATH because Hoboken is the originating station. Really nice views of NYC from Hoboken and a historic train station.

Edited by 138east

Where are you going in Manhattan?

1). Pre book a private car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo

2) go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty and arrange livery service to NYC

3). Public transit. Go to the taxi dispatcher and get a shuttle (about $4/pp) to the light rail station in Bayonne at 34th St. (Hudson-Bergen light rail under NJ Transit). Take the light rail ($2.10/pp) to Hoboken. Transfer to PATH to 33rd St, which is at 6th Ave in Manhattan near Macy's with stops along 6th Ave from 8th St to 33rd St($2.50/pp). Take a cab to your destination. This is an easy trip after the morning rush hour - all flat surfaces and elevators and not a lot of walking. You should be able to get seats on the light rail and definitely on PATH because Hoboken is the originating station. Really nice views of NYC from Hoboken and a historic train station.

Ok, I am going the other way from Times Square to Cape Liberty. Any thing I should know differently for using Public Transit? I was also thinking of stopping at Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken. Has anyone done this? How much time might it take?

138East: Do you know if the parking rates have gone up in Bayonne and if they have built a new pier for the Quantum. Thanks.

The parking rates have not gone up yet. Only time will tell. The new terminal is under construction.