Wine Packages

NaughtyNanna

Hi Everyone. For the first time I am thinking of purchasing wine packages for my 2 upcoming B2B cruises. I am not a big drinker - just like a wine with dinner. Usually I just buy by the glass, but as I will be on board for 42 days, I think the packages will be better value this time. So my question is: Do HAL usually have specials on the wine packages once on board. In other words, should I purchase packages up front or wait and see what happens when on board. I recently was on a Princess cruise (out of my home port so easy to take my own wine on board, paid the $15 corkage and was way ahead - no brainer). However I did notice that they had a special 40% off packages sale within the first couple of days. Just wondering if this is standard.

Regards

Jan

Hi Everyone. For the first time I am thinking of purchasing wine packages for my 2 upcoming B2B cruises. I am not a big drinker - just like a wine with dinner. Usually I just buy by the glass, but as I will be on board for 42 days, I think the packages will be better value this time. So my question is: Do HAL usually have specials on the wine packages once on board. In other words, should I purchase packages up front or wait and see what happens when on board. I recently was on a Princess cruise (out of my home port so easy to take my own wine on board, paid the $15 corkage and was way ahead - no brainer). However I did notice that they had a special 40% off packages sale within the first couple of days. Just wondering if this is standard.

Regards

Jan

There are no specials on the Navigator and Admiral wine packages. The only discount that is applied is for the three star Mariner and up, who get the discount of 25% and 50% for the four star.

I'm not aware of any wine package special offers, but the Australian market might be different. Wait until you board, because you'll be able to see what your selections are. If there's anything particular that you like, have your wine steward put it aside for you. HAL does allow you to take one bottle per person at no extra charge, for in room consumption. Anything beyond that, or any carried on wine consumed in public is subject to an $18 per bottle corkage fee.

Actually you can take more than one 750 ml bottle of wine per person onto any HAL ship. But after the first 2 bottles, you will be called aside to pay the $18 per bottle corkage fee. A special sticker will be placed on those extra bottles so that you aren't charged a second time for the corkage fee.

All wines must be in your carry-on luggage.

I'm not aware of any wine package special offers, but the Australian market might be different. Wait until you board, because you'll be able to see what your selections are. If there's anything particular that you like, have your wine steward put it aside for you. HAL does allow you to take one bottle per person at no extra charge, for in room consumption. Anything beyond that, or any carried on wine consumed in public is subject to an $18 per bottle corkage fee.

Yes I'm very well aware of HAL's alcohol policy. :) I am not sailing "down under". This time it's Norway and Iceland, so I don't think I will be bringing my wine with me!! I just needed to know if I could expect any deals to be offered once on board! But thank you for your reply.

Regards

Jan

Edited by NaughtyNanna

Actually you can take more than one 750 ml bottle of wine per person onto any HAL ship. But after the first 2 bottles, you will be called aside to pay the $18 per bottle corkage fee. A special sticker will be placed on those extra bottles so that you aren't charged a second time for the corkage fee.

All wines must be in your carry-on luggage.

Again, as I replied to POA1's post, I am well aware of HAL's alcohol policy, but I won't be bringing my wine with me this time, and won't have time to be shopping around for liquor stores in Amsterdam!! :) Thank you for your reply.

Regards

Jan

Edited by NaughtyNanna

There are no specials on the Navigator and Admiral wine packages. The only discount that is applied is for the three star Mariner and up, who get the discount of 25% and 50% for the four star.

Thank you! I might as well get it out of the way and purchase before I leave then!

Regards

Jan

Thank you! I might as well get it out of the way and purchase before I leave then!

Regards

Jan

While you do not save money by purchasing onboard, I always wait and purchase it from my wine steward. They seem to appreciate me doing this (I suspect they get some sort of credit for selling the packages). Further, they can advise you as to which package (Navigator or Admiral) would better suit you. For example, I like the Whites in the Navigator, but the Reds in the Admiral.

While you do not save money by purchasing onboard, I always wait and purchase it from my wine steward. They seem to appreciate me doing this (I suspect they get some sort of credit for selling the packages). Further, they can advise you as to which package (Navigator or Admiral) would better suit you. For example, I like the Whites in the Navigator, but the Reds in the Admiral.

Thank you Dave!

Regards

Jan

We just disembarked January 15 from an 11 day cruise. We purchased the navigator wine package ahead of time. It included two Pinnicle dinners for two and two wine tastings. On the second or third day at sea we received a coupon book that offered 10% off a wine package. Don't know if it included the add ons or not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Best to wait until you board to pick a package. On the last few cruises there were several substitutions because they ran out of some of the advertised labels. I was never sure if I was offered a superior or inferior alternative with no chance to taste. It makes sense to check which selections are still available before deciding, especially if you have a favorite.

Actually you can take more than one 750 ml bottle of wine per person onto any HAL ship. But after the first 2 bottles, you will be called aside to pay the $18 per bottle corkage fee.

Correction:

It is only one bottle per person that is allowed to be brought on board corkage free.

I've never purchased a wine package on HAL - but have been thinking about it for my upcoming cruise this weekend. Do you get a chance to taste the wines that are offered in the packages before deciding?

I think with 3 stars, you'll be invited to the first wine tasting, which is of the wines in the Navigator's package (or at least some of them).

We just disembarked January 15 from an 11 day cruise. We purchased the navigator wine package ahead of time. It included two Pinnicle dinners for two and two wine tastings. On the second or third day at sea we received a coupon book that offered 10% off a wine package. Don't know if it included the add ons or not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh, that's right. I had forgotten about those little discount books. I'm not a shopper when on holiday so rarely ever even look through them! If there is 10% discount that's fine! Every little bit helps!! :)

Regards

Jan

I have been on many HAL cruises and have not seen discounts on the wine packages. Only the mariner discount which has been mentioned. With that being said, on our last 29 day cruise on the Prinsendam, one of the wines that we picked was not to our liking. The wine steward graciously replaced it with another bottle we liked previously. We have found many good wine with the lower priced package.

Be extremely cautious about wine packages on HAL. I purchased a 3-bottle package on Maasdam in June. When I received my final statement on the last day of the cruise, I had a charge for a full bottle of wine in addition to the 3-bottle package. The Front Desk "helpfully" explained to me that my third bottle of wine wasn't on the package, so I was charged for it in addition to the package. My protest that I wouldn't have selected off the package, as that was my point in purchasing it, fell on entirely deaf ears. So, I received and drank three bottles of wine and paid for four. What a value.

Did they give you a list of eligible wines from which to pick for your three bottles? Sounds like one could be easily confused?

Yes, there was a list. That's why I was so confident that I ordered correctly. (Plus the fact that I am a value-oriented consumer [i.e. extremely cheap]). But once the bottle is ordered, if the sommelier serves the wrong wine, or more importantly enters the wrong wine into the system, that's it. The computer rules.

If I ever order a package on HAL again, I will be watching labels like a hawk.

Yes, there was a list. That's why I was so confident that I ordered correctly. (Plus the fact that I am a value-oriented consumer [i.e. extremely cheap]). But once the bottle is ordered, if the sommelier serves the wrong wine, or more importantly enters the wrong wine into the system, that's it. The computer rules.

If I ever order a package on HAL again, I will be watching labels like a hawk.

Did the steward not present the bottle to you before opening it so that you could confirm it was the one you ordered?

Did the steward not present the bottle to you before opening it so that you could confirm it was the one you ordered?

Yes, the wine was presented and I approved of the selection. That's where it all goes a bit hazy. Did I approve the wrong wine? Did I approve the correct wine but the wrong wine was entered into the system? Who knows. I confess I wasn't paying that much attention because I never had an issue previously with a wine package. So, as I say, if I select one again in the future (perhaps next week :D), I will watch labels very closely and take photos with my phone.

For an interesting comparison, on Norwegian you select your wines at the time you purchase the package and then those wines are presented as you drink them. That solves this particular problem.

Wow. I think I would have to write them down in order to remember them then! In the past I've ordered one bottle of wine from the dining room and the next day I can hardly recall what I ordered other than it was white or red. Time to start paying better attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I think I would have to write them down in order to remember them then! In the past I've ordered one bottle of wine from the dining room and the next day I can hardly recall what I ordered other than it was white or red. Time to start paying better attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the few times that I've ordered the wine packages, I take the additional bottles back to our room for storage. I chill them if needed, and take them to dinner.

I've never ordered a package but pay corkage for the bottles we bring. Now that we are 4 star I may check on package due to discount but will still bring a few of our favorites :). Next cruise is Maasdam in May so I'll be asking for updated package lists soon.

I've never ordered a package but pay corkage for the bottles we bring. Now that we are 4 star I may check on package due to discount but will still bring a few of our favorites :). Next cruise is Maasdam in May so I'll be asking for updated package lists soon.

With the 4 or 5 Star discount it makes the wine (from the packages) reasonable, especially when you consider the $18/bottle corkage fee. Of course you have to like the wines on the list.

I take my 2 "free" bottles (for the 2 of us) for in-cabin consumption and purchase a wine package for the dining room.