Gondola Ride

Two from Virginia

They are not a must do and they are expensive, especially if you do not want to go with others.

However it can be a magical experience. Go just before sunset and you will pay day prices but get the wonderful twilight. Wander around and choose an operator on a side canal. Try to negotiate the price. You may get lucky. Make sure you agree on how long you will have and be sure to ask to go in the back canals. They are so quiet and you see things you cannot see by walking.

I don't think anyone can tell you that a gondola ride is a must do for you. It's something you'll need to decide for yourself at the right time and place.

We did gondola rides on our first two visits to Venice and never felt the need to do them again. I highly recommend a private ride for the best experience.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I don't think anyone can tell you that a gondola ride is a must do for you. It's something you'll need to decide for yourself at the right time and place.

[/img]

Well said. "Must do" is what interests you, not what we tell you it is.

By the way, we have also been to Venice, and didn't feel the requirement to get in a gondola.

We were going to do it then when we saw that it was 100€ for 35min we had to think a little harder, then we saw this (photo below) and decided to not bother as it really lost it's romantic appeal. They seemed to be playing bumper boats everywhere we looked. We were just there a few weeks ago.

ImageUploadedByForums1463070532.632065.jpg.9bbe4a89f54d1835c39ac7e5792765c8.jpg

Edited by trophy_23

Yes!! You have 2 options, either a Grand Canal gondol ride or a back canals ride. We did the back canals at sunset, and it was one of my most fav experiences ever!! So peaceful with only us and maybe 2 other gondolas out. The back canals ride launches by San Marcos Square.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes!! You have 2 options, either a Grand Canal gondol ride or a back canals ride. We did the back canals at sunset, and it was one of my most fav experiences ever!! So peaceful with only us and maybe 2 other gondolas out. The back canals ride launches by San Marcos Square.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agree! We went out to dinner and boarded a Gondola for the journey back to our hotel on the Grand Canal. Very quiet and interesting looking into the different buildings along the back canals:)

Does anyone know if you can bring something to drink on the gondola? Such as wine in a bota sp? bag?

Yeah. We had a nice bottle of wine for our ride.

Must do? I say yes. Where else can you take a Venice Gondola ride? Of course that's why you pay a premium.

I'm opting to do a private ride with Alex Hai - the first female gonolier. Her site is http://www.gondoliera.com/ and she has a variety of packages.

What I love most (besides she actually HAS a tour for solo travelers as opposed to screwing us with advertising low rates only to find out that that low rate is only if you have 4 or more people) is that I'm supporting someone who's had to fight (and is still fighting) prejudice and discrimination.

It's not a must-do for everyone. My advice is always .... wait until you get there; there's no need to decide now or to book ahead of time. I fully expected to take a gondola ride on my first visit to Venice. But once I arrived and was surrounded by the history and beauty I had zero interest in a gondola.

But if it's something YOU really want to do, wander around a bit first and determine what kind of gondola experience you want. Do you want a trip on the GrandCanal with lots of traffic but famous historical sites around you, OR, would you prefer a peaceful side canal thru a quiet residential area? You won't know until you get there.

Lots of info in this site:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm

I'm opting to do a private ride with Alex Hai - the first female gonolier. Her site is http://www.gondoliera.com/ and she has a variety of packages.

What I love most (besides she actually HAS a tour for solo travelers as opposed to screwing us with advertising low rates only to find out that that low rate is only if you have 4 or more people) is that I'm supporting someone who's had to fight (and is still fighting) prejudice and discrimination.

Well said :):)

You have just made 'Singles' aware that they 'can' take a wonderful trip without the burden of paying high fares, just because they are single.

Thank you for having a caring thought and most importantly posting it.

Well said :):)

You have just made 'Singles' aware that they 'can' take a wonderful trip without the burden of paying high fares, just because they are single.

Thank you for having a caring thought and most importantly posting it.

You're welcome! I'm traveling solo, so I definitely notice these things! I'm super excited about that day - I'm doing a walking tour from the ship, will hang out exploring for a couple of hours, and then take my gondola ride.

You're welcome! I'm traveling solo, so I definitely notice these things! I'm super excited about that day - I'm doing a walking tour from the ship, will hang out exploring for a couple of hours, and then take my gondola ride.

Wishing you a wonderful day:)

• 2 weeks later...

We did a gondola ride when we were in Venice for the day about 5 years ago and we loved it! I wish I could tell you where we picked it up but we were pretty most lost at that point. We were a few blocks from St.Mark's square and we just asked a gondolier how much and he said 80 for 30 minutes (which I had read was a fair price). We were in one of the back channels -- I thought it was an amazing experience. You see Venice from a different vantage point --- we floated by homes where there were boats parked in the water underneath the building with iron gates locking them in. It was so quiet and serene. We went by Casanova's house and the gondolier asked if we would like to go out to the Grand Canal and we said yes. We saw the Ponte Vecchio from the middle of the Grand Canal. It's one of my fondest memories of our trip. I'm going back to Venice this fall and am planning on doing it again hopefully.