Thinking of Seabourne

fudge

Hi Everyone,

We are not huge cruisers, we have sailed six times with Silversea and no other cruise line. I am thinking of sailing with Seabourne in September and need some advise please?

The cruise is with the Odyssey for seven days. What is this particular ship like compared to the others in this cruise line?

We normally go for a verandah suite on SS and would prefer the same on this cruise, if anyone can recommend a certain suit/deck that would be appreciated.

Are there self service launderettes on board?

I read on another thread the internet package is 499US unlimited, for any length of cruise, seems a bit pricey to me?

Any advise would be most appreciated, thank you in advance.

We have cruised on the Shadow and the Whisper several times, but we have nearly 400 days with Seabourn.

Hi Everyone,

We are not huge cruisers, we have sailed six times with Silversea and no other cruise line. I am thinking of sailing with Seabourne in September and need some advise please?

The cruise is with the Odyssey for seven days. What is this particular ship like compared to the others in this cruise line?The Odyssey, Sojourn, and Quest are nearly identical. The remaining 2 little sisters, the Legend and Spirit have been sold to Windstar and are being transferred in April and May 2015.

We normally go for a verandah suite on SS and would prefer the same on this cruise, if anyone can recommend a certain suit/deck that would be appreciated. Although the balconies on deck 5 are not full glass, we like this location best - short walk to the club and other facilities.

Are there self service launderettes on board? Yes, 2 on deck 5 each with 2 washers and dryers. Seabourn usually provides detergent.

I read on another thread the internet package is 499US unlimited, for any length of cruise, seems a bit pricey to me? For a 7 night cruise, it's $249 USD. For cruises longer than 7 days, the unlimited package is $399.

Any advise would be most appreciated, thank you in advance.

We prefer the club on Seabourn over the bar on Silversea. The Colonnade is a little better than La Terraza both for lunch and dinner as the Colonnade will have several themed nights for dinner - Surf & Turf, Japanese, Indian, Tuscany, Thai, French, etc. We also like the Observation Bar for an after dinner drink. Both the club and the Observation Bar have live music (piano player, duo or guitarist). Seabourn continues to offer caviar at any time. We also like the fresh, made to order pizza that the patio grille offers for lunch. Although the TVs are small in the Seabourn cabins, they offer Video on Demand with 300 or 400 different movies along with being able to check you shipboard account. Lastly, Silversea does not have anything comparable to Seabourn Square - library with printed newspapers, a nice book selection, a made to order coffee bar (expresso, cappuccino, lattes, teas, etc) with pastries in the morning and finger sandwiches starting around 11 AM until around 6 PM. Lastly, Seabourn has just introduced PressReader, a software application for iPads and Android devices in which you can access a wide range of newspapers at no cost.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

DC Cruiser 57,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply, the information is much appreciated. I am please you have sailed with both SS and Seaborne, you are able to offer comparisons which we appreciate.

I have read so many good things about Seabourne we really do need to try the cruise line. I do like SS and like most people we were afraid to change however, the cruise in September sounds too good to turn down.

Thank you once again. ;)

Please Mr. L., can you let us know why Karl left and/or where he is headed. I have known Karl since his first days with Seabourn and will miss his (sometimes a bit warped) sense of humor. He is always kind and most interested in the well-being of Seabourn's guests. I will dearly miss him

Winnie

Please Mr. L., can you let us know why Karl left and/or where he is headed. I have known Karl since his first days with Seabourn and will miss his (sometimes a bit warped) sense of humor. He is always kind and most interested in the well-being of Seabourn's guests. I will dearly miss him

Winnie

I understand that he is going to Viking to oversee the two lovely new ships that they are launching.

I have seen the brochures and it looks like they will be a great addition to the luxury sector.

A sad loss of a great guy.

I wish him well in his new position.

I will also try the new Viking ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fudge - back on topic. We like Silversea very much and plan to sail on them again. However, we like Seabourn a little better. One of many factors is that Seabourn has an exceptional past passenger program - the more you cruise, the better the benefits.

On Silversea, we like Le Champagne although they no longer have different menus. Seabourn does not an equivalent, although they do have Restaurant 2, which seats about 44 guests in a variety of table configurations (round table for 4 to 6, square table for 4 to 6 and several tables for 2). The décor is odd as it's black and red, quite dark. Also, the menus change, but are tasting menus. Many guest do not like the menus, however, we have grown to like them.

DCCruiser57

The more you describe the way of life on Seabourn the more I am beginning to like the idea of sailing with this cruise line. I am sure we will not disappointed.

I have looked at the suites via their website, they look very similar to the suites on SS but more modern.

Cruisers on here also mention flowers in the suite Etc, something my good lady appreciates very much. Did I also read caviar is a given?

I see there is a thread at the top of the board regarding OBC, how does that work please? Do I need a voucher from a guest? The OBC is another sore point with us, we loved having that on SS, not any more, well not for us anyway.

I am getting quite excited at the thought of booking a cruise with Seabourn, Istanbul/Istanbul is good for us, we live in North Cyprus, it's a short hop for us to Istanbul.

Once again, many thanks for your input.

DCCruiser57

The more you describe the way of life on Seabourn the more I am beginning to like the idea of sailing with this cruise line. I am sure we will not disappointed.

I have looked at the suites via their website, they look very similar to the suites on SS but more modern.

Cruisers on here also mention flowers in the suite Etc, something my good lady appreciates very much. Did I also read caviar is a given?

I see there is a thread at the top of the board regarding OBC, how does that work please? Do I need a voucher from a guest? The OBC is another sore point with us, we loved having that on SS, not any more, well not for us anyway.

I am getting quite excited at the thought of booking a cruise with Seabourn, Istanbul/Istanbul is good for us, we live in North Cyprus, it's a short hop for us to Istanbul.

There are a couple of ways of getting OBC on Seabourn.

For new cruisers, getting referred is worth $400 ($500 for Antarctica). See the thread at the top of the page.

Owning 100 shares in Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) is worth $250 OBC on 14 days or more. $125 on fewer days (I think). You also get a dividend on top. CCL is a nice little earner if you cruise a lot.

Travel agents can also give OBC. We get $300 from Amex. I believe that you can choose between a tour or OBC from Virtuoso.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Seabourn cruise. Will you like it better than Silversea? That will come down to personal preferences and the kind of style you like. But you will never know if you don't try it.

The more you describe the way of life on Seabourn the more I am beginning to like the idea of sailing with this cruise line. I am sure we will not disappointed. I'm sure you will not. Also, if you have a favorite meal - steak diane, dover sole, chateaubriand, etc., just ask the maitre'd 24 hours in advance.

Cruisers on here also mention flowers in the suite Etc, something my good lady appreciates very much. They do provide flowers upon embarkation along with an iced bottle of champagne. Did I also read caviar is a given? Caviar anytime and anywhere you would like - cabin, patio grill, with cocktails at the club, etc.

I see there is a thread at the top of the board regarding OBC, how does that work please? Do I need a voucher from a guest? It's called a guest referral coupon and both the past passenger with the coupon and the referred guest (that would be you) receive an onboard credit. I have a coupon and can mail it to you - you can send your address to the following e-mail - nassaugrove @ verizon dot net. The OBC is another sore point with us, we loved having that on SS, not any more, well not for us anyway.

We were on the Sojourn earlier this year and just returned from the Spirit and I scan in copies of the daily newsletter (the Herald) and I have examples of the complimentary wine lists, the premium wine lists, and also the Gold and Silver Wine packages. If you would like copies I can e-mai them to you.

Yes, caviar " on demand" is a lovely Seabourn perk for those who enjoy it. However I would like to suggest that guests not abuse this treat. On my last couple of cruises there were some people who ordered it every day -- sometimes even twice a day. I love ordering escargot as a special treat but could not imagine ordering it every day. Anyway, the degree to which some passengers took advantage of this policy did not escape notice of the attention of the hotel managers who implied to me that because of the excessive consumption Seabourn might be changing their policy -- not sure if this would mean limiting it to I once a day, once a cruise or doing away with it altogether. And that would be a shame because it is one of those little lovely little indulgences that IMHO sets Seabourn apart.

Mr.L,

Can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that Karl has left SB. It's almost enough to make me want to try the Viking ships. I can still see him running around the Pride, as if he were in several places at once. Big, big loss for SB.

Henry,sad news tonight at dinner I was told that Karl Ekle has left Seabourn this week.

I am on the Sojourn.

Oh no and we had heard he was going to be on when we are on! I suppose it was hard to be at sea as he now has a family. Keep the Sojourn warm for us John. It was good to see you both again at the lunch.

Trying to drag back on topic:

The similarities far outweigh the differences between SS and SB. In fact if you were to be magically placed aboard either line and the brand name obliterated it would take a while to work out which you were on. Even then, it is kind of the last 1% of the experience that is different.

Seabourn have the financial clout of Carnival behind them which might account for their more generous loyalty program and OBC. On the other hand, we think the base price is higher than SS for broadly equivalent intineraries (that one will get shouted down fairly soon, I'm sure:rolleyes:).

Why wont we go Seabourn again? 3 reasons:

1. Their coffee is aimed at Amercan tastes (whereas we like it to taste of coffee - and we drink a lot of it);

2. They have no Connoiseurs' Lounge or equivalent indoor smoking venue - dealbreaker (although I recognise that Fudge and Fudgess will not find this relevant!);

3. We like the Asian staff on SS. Not wishing to racially profile but we lived in the Far East for a few years and the staff remind us of those happy days.

But if you sent me 2 tickets for an SB cruise tomorrow, you'd get a lovely thank you letter.:)

Tothesunset

Thank you for your observations between SS and Seabourn. I really am curious how other cruise lines operate. I take your point re the smokers corner, you are right it does not bother Mr. and mrs. Fudge.

We will have to try this cruise line to see for myself which we prefer, I suspect as you have noted there really is nothing between the two, a hairs breath.

Mr.L,

Can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that Karl has left SB. It's almost enough to make me want to try the Viking ships. I can still see him running around the Pride, as if he were in several places at once. Big, big loss for SB.

Henry,

I am in shock.

I must report that Neil the chef on board at present is probably the most focused and dedicated chef that I have seen,he is from Ireland and is supervising the Christmas Santas and Gingerbread houses.

I have had the best Halibut this evening on any ship that I have been on.

Oh no and we had heard he was going to be on when we are on! I suppose it was hard to be at sea as he now has a family. Keep the Sojourn warm for us John. It was good to see you both again at the lunch.

What a shock Sheilagh,

The Sojourn is in good shape in all areas,food is probably the best that we have had

Great to see you and Larry last week.

Lots of talk about the new ships

Good to see the UK is having mild weather for Christmas.

Glad tidings to all

Tothesunset

Thank you for your observations between SS and Seabourn. I really am curious how other cruise lines operate. I take your point re the smokers corner, you are right it does not bother Mr. and mrs. Fudge.

We will have to try this cruise line to see for myself which we prefer, I suspect as you have noted there really is nothing between the two, a hairs breath.

You must try Seabourn. You'll love it. Don't forget the spivvy shoes.;)

Henry,

I am in shock.

I must report that Neil the chef on board at present is probably the most focused and dedicated chef that I have seen,he is from Ireland and is supervising the Christmas Santas and Gingerbread houses.

I have had the best Halibut this evening on any ship that I have been on.

Larry says if he is Irish he has to be good!

Tothesunset makes a good point in that the Seabourn coffee served in the dining venues is dreadful. It is, as suggested, American style brewed coffee. BUT there is a very important exception - that is the coffee served in Seabourn Square. There the cappuccinos, lattes, flat whites etc are made to order with freshly ground coffee. It's not enough to make us change, but I no longer order coffee with meals.