Will Ship Accept Tandem Bicycle?

DW and I are planning to ride from Land's End to John O' Groats in England in September 2010 on our tandem bike, then tour Europe by bike & train in October 2010 and then make our way down to Barcelona to board the RCCI Voyager of the Seas on the Barlcelona-Galveston reposition sailing on November 7, 2010.

Question: Before I officially ask RCCI, do you think they would accept our tandem bike as freight for the cruise?

Cape Cod,

I guess I'm looking for consensus or conventional wisdom that the cruise lines will accept bikes. You see, I'm leery of getting permission from one RCCI person only to later find out that ship crew members or dock security forces won't accept the bike, which would cause a major SNAFU.

It's too big an issue to "beg forgiveness rather than ask permission". I would rather ship the bike home after riding LEJOG but DW thinks that would be too expensive.

I asked a similar question of Princess for bikes we wanted to take on a 75 day tour and were told "if you can fit it in your stateroom under the bed or something you can take it it is up to you and what a good idea to keep fit"

Carnival will not accept bicycles of any kind...says so in the small print on their cruise contract, so I'd be on the phone to your cruise line and ask. And then call again and ask. Each time write down the answer (if someone says yes) and who gave it to you, to document it.

Good luck.

Carnival will not accept bicycles of any kind...says so in the small print on their cruise contract, so I'd be on the phone to your cruise line and ask. And then call again and ask. Each time write down the answer (if someone says yes) and who gave it to you, to document it.

Good luck.

Better yet, have them respond via written mail or e-mail with the answer. Your hand written notes will carry no weight with the employees at the docks.

If you are told okay, I absolutely agree you request they send you a confirmatory e-mail. Still won't be a guarantee when you arrive at the dock but it will go a long way.

Sadly, I seriously doubt you will get an absolute promise they will permit it but I think the chances are good as long as you are willing to store it in your cabin.

Once you have it safely aboard, you may be able to get cabin steward to find a place to store it for you but if you get an okay in advance to bring it, plan to live with it in your room.

DW and I are planning to ride from Land's End to John O' Groats in England in September 2010 on our tandem bike, then tour Europe by bike & train in October 2010 and then make our way down to Barcelona to board the RCCI Voyager of the Seas on the Barlcelona-Galveston reposition sailing on November 7, 2010.

Question: Before I officially ask RCCI, do you think they would accept our tandem bike as freight for the cruise?

First, will the airline let you put it on the plane?

It sounds like you are planning to live for a couple of months in what two people can carry on a tandem bike. I applaud your energy level, but have reservations about the concept?

How much does your bike cost?, and how do you get it from home to Lands End? Considering difficulty/cost of two-way transatlantic transportation, have you considered buying a bike in England and donating it to some facility in Spain. Consider the value of tax deduction vs cost and hassle of transporting the bike (which would be pretty worn by tghe time you got it home).

Cape Cod,

I guess I'm looking for consensus or conventional wisdom that the cruise lines will accept bikes. You see, I'm leery of getting permission from one RCCI person only to later find out that ship crew members or dock security forces won't accept the bike, which would cause a major SNAFU.

It's too big an issue to "beg forgiveness rather than ask permission". I would rather ship the bike home after riding LEJOG but DW thinks that would be too expensive.

Not only did you make the right choice by asking for practical info here, it's interesting for others to read for future reference. Please don't be deterred by certain comments. Post back and let us know how it plays out.

How good is your travel agent? This is the time you need someone to negoiate for you. Perhaps the captain of your ship will grant permission to load the bike on board....or not.

When I was much younger I dreamed of walking the route you are planning to bike in the UK. Sadly I waited too long and now cannot do it. I am proud of you for doing this while you can do so and enjoy it so much! Really!

• 2 weeks later...
Would they allow it to be stored out on your balcony (if you had one?)

Or perhaps you could book a larger handicapped person room? Or if you disassembled it, it would take up much less space.

Booking an HC room for this purpose is just plain immoral.

HC people wait for HC rooms to open up and often don't get one and can't travel.

Two people fit enough to bike across the UK don't qualify!

Or perhaps you could book a larger handicapped person room? Or if you disassembled it, it would take up much less space.

I doubt they'd allow it out on the balcony while the ship is at sea. Just too many safety concerns.

As for booking an HC cabin, PennyAgain is absolutely right: It's completely unethical to try to book an HC cabin in order to have room to store a tandem bicycle (or anything else). Talk about the height of selfishness. Needing to store a large item is not a disability, but there are many people out there who require an HC cabin and who cannot cruise without one. I'm boggled that anyone would consider taking one of those few cabins for such a reason.

In any case, Oak Hill Cruisers reported back that RCI will not allow the tandem bicycle onboard at all. So suggesting that they try to keep it on the balcony or that they book an HC cabin is moot. It's not like they can sneak the thing onboard in their jacket pocket and hope no one will notice.

Oak Hill Cruisers:

Thank you for reporting back with RCI's response. It's the answer I suspected you'd get because most cruise lines don't take large items as freight. Modern cruise ships are not designed to function the way that ocean liners (i.e., transoceanic transportation) did 100 years ago. I hope you are able to work your trip around the limitation. Your land itinerary sounds fabulous.

beachchick

I know this wasn't the intent but, we had to cancel a cruise this year because we could not get an HC cabin that my wife needs. I don't know if that's because they are all occupied by "legitimate" users. These cabins are a Godsend for us that have to store and charge a scooter or power chair. To intentionally book one when you don't actually need it should be punished by walking the plank, or buying a round for the entire ship.

Enough "ranting and raving" PLEASE enjoy your trip, sorry ou arn't able to squeeze the bike on with you.

Book an accessible cabin to store a bicycle? Are you kidding? You would suggest that someone who can pedal bicycle would take a cabin that might be needed by someone who's confined to a wheelchair?? Shame on you!

Can I assume that you have lied to the state offices that issue HC parking stickers so that you can get a close parking space?

DON

Oh thanks for that ignorant comment. There are about 20 or so TOTAL HC cabins on the newest biggest ships and when Abled bodied people, book them for the "extra room" it means that disabled persons cannot cruise. and NO they will not ask the person who booked the cabin to move if someone else needs that cabin. They will tell you that, but it is not in fact what happens in a vast majority of cases. This has to do with ignorance on the part of booking agents AND TA's who I think should have their credentials pulled if they book able bodied into these cabins for the ROOM. It also has to do with the privacy laws etc. and they are limited in exactly what they can ask.

On top of which bikes are not allowed on most lines anyway if you read the contract.

Archived