Cruise or Maui?

We just returned from a wonderful week in Maui (my husband has a timeshare) and have spent many wonderful weeks cruising. Here's my dilemma, it will be our tenth wedding anniversary in August and since the Caribbean itineraries are limited in the summer should I cancel our rather generic eastern itinerary and go back to Maui instead? We have the Freedom booked but it is the same ole St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Cococay that we have been to many times, not to mention in the hot muggy hurricane season time of year. Or cancel and spend another week relaxing in the hawaiian sun.

The prices are about equal since we have a jr suite booked. We also have three other cruises booked with alot of southern caribbean islands that we have never been to. so it is not really a matter of going without a cruise for a long period of time.

We just returned from a wonderful week in Maui (my husband has a timeshare) and have spent many wonderful weeks cruising. Here's my dilemma, it will be our tenth wedding anniversary in August and since the Caribbean itineraries are limited in the summer should I cancel our rather generic eastern itinerary and go back to Maui instead? We have the Freedom booked but it is the same ole St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Cococay that we have been to many times, not to mention in the hot muggy hurricane season time of year. Or cancel and spend another week relaxing in the hawaiian sun.

The prices are about equal since we have a jr suite booked. We also have three other cruises booked with alot of southern caribbean islands that we have never been to. so it is not really a matter of going without a cruise for a long period of time.

I think you answered your own question. :o

Have fun in Maui...:cool:

I agree! The Eastern itinerary can get a little stale if you've sailed it several times. I would go with Hawaii, and enjoy your Southern Caribbean cruises in the future. Have a great vacation in Hawaii! :)

I guess i will be the first to go against the grain. LOL

Cruise for me but Im not one that has been to a certain place or on cruises "many" times. I really have no desire to go to Hawaii. My mom got married in Maui and pics are as close as I care to get to there :)

But if I had three other cruises booked already, I might be inclined to change my mind but I dont believe it would be Hawaii. Way too long of a flight for me.

Enjoy Maui again :)

Love Mauifornia:D.. Why not do NCL POA hawaii cruise. We did it last year and it was good with our freinds (RCCL LOYAL) for their 30th.

That way you get to see the other Islands as well. Kauai is gorgeous.

Another one for Hawaii. If you are able to, maybe you can switch to a Hawaiin cruise. That way you can hit a few different islands, but still be on a cruise.

Granted it was on another line, but we did a 7 nt around the different islands for our honeymoon and loved it.

I have done both (Maui once and Eastern Caribbean 2 times). Would definitley pick Maui over EC!! And if you can hop over to Kuai for a day or so. Beautiful there!!! Hubby and I can't wait to get back to Hawaii some day. We would love to cruise through the islands there.

That was my thought!

Maui, but during whale watching season.

Whale sightings are guaranteed on all Pacific Whale Foundation whalewatches (from November 26 – May 15) or you go again free. We are proud of our 97% sighting success rate

Except that OP's anniversary is in August, LOL. But if you wanted a slightly delayed celebration, consider the repositioning cruise from Vancouver to Honolulu on Radiance or Rhapsody.

I would definitely choose Maui, even if I had to fly from the East Coast (have done it a few times; it's not so bad). And you can take the ferry over to Lanai for a change of pace to see the "real" Hawaii, maybe even stay at one of the Four Seasons there for a night's splurge. We're also recently returned from a timeshare week there, and will likely celebrate our 20th anniversary in 2014 there, too.:)

We spent 3 weeks in Hawaii in 08. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I've been to Hawaii 4 times now, to all 6 main populated islands. Love it, love it, love it! I would go again tomorrow if I could. Granted, I love cruising too; but I think in this case, Maui is the way to go.

I also second the suggestion to visit some of the neighbor islands. Each one is wonderful, and they're all different from the rest. Have a great time, and happy anniversary!

Thanks all, had pretty much made up my mind to go with Maui, just wanted to get others viewpoints. The flight isn't to bad from Utah, about the same time frame as it is when we fly to Florida including a layover in Atlanta.

We have done whale watching in Puerto Vallerta and it was great. There is also a place in Maui that you can snorkel with the turtles, we got some great pictures last month there. We did see several cruise ships in port while we were there, but the long days at sea are a turn off for us, plus the cruises to Hawaii on royal are to long for us to be away from business. Aloha it is!!

We are on the same cruise as you, 8-26-12 and we are also in a Junior Suite AND we are celebrating our wedding anniversary (15th) :D We have never been Maui so I cannot give any advice on that, but we do love cruising on the Freedom, even if it does go to the same islands.

Congrats on your anniversary :)

I've been to Maui and Kauaii. I'd vote for the repositioning cruise even though it is a month later than you would want to go. I like the fact they sail near the volcano and get to see the lava flowing. As for the NCL, I looked at it but it has American staff which I heard were not good as servers. I think Celebrity may sail round trip from either LA or SF. Or, Carnival:eek:. Did I just say that???:D

No question--Maui!!! We've been to Maui several times, and it always beckons to us when it's time to book our vacation. We've done 2 cruises since traveling to Maui, and we're starting to hear it call our name again! Living in the Midwest, it is so much easier/cheaper to fly to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami than Maui, but we really love the total relaxation of staying in a condo and being at complete leisure there! Next time, we plan to jaunt over to Lanai.

Visit the wonderful island of Maui again. There's so much to do and see and enjoy. Now if it was a Med cruise or something, then the answer would be more difficult. But for the "been there, done that" Caribbean? Maui all the way.

beachchick

Funny you should ask such a dilema....I am currently working TONS of overtime shifts to do BOTH!

...Maui in July. Super expensive Allure cruise in late December. Suzy Orman or Dave Ramsey would tell me I shouldnt do either...but I am busting out the $$$ and hope it all comes together.

We love Maui.

We love the Oasis/Allure.

.....so I am a total fool and indulging in both :)

....and man, are my kids and husband LUCKY!!!!!

I sat down one day and fiquered out his money ideas I'am still young 58 if we did everything he wants and i mean every thing we would have a little over 150.00.dollars left a month and thats no trips no vacation no fun and at 58 maybe death so screw dave and his ideas go and live i've traveled all my life and didn't have much money but who cares Dave is a 1%anyway.

That was a great summary of why I should just keep on livin' and travelin' !!!

I need a new coffee table; we could use more $$ to replace all of the carpets in our house. I really should pay off the darned car.....but why?....when we can go to Maui AND go back on the Allure this year? I wonder if Dave has ever done such a thing? Bummer.

Archived