Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old February 1st, 2013, 02:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default First timer - Formal Night?

Do people get really dressed up (i.e. wear heels) for the formal night? Can't decide if I should pack my 4-inchers or buy something shorter. It would be easier to just go with what I already have, but I don't really wanna stick out like sore thumb.

Thanks!

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:12 PM
5,000+ Club

It depends on the cruise line, the ship & to some extend the time of year.

For example, we were on the NCL Gem for New Year's Eve. It sailed from NYC. Even though NCL is known for Freestyle cruising meaning you never have to wear formal wear, for the holiday most people went all out.

From your other posts I think you will be sailing on Carnival's Elation. Carnival tends to be one of the more casual lines but you will still see everything from casual to church clothes to flyaway pants & sparkly tops to cocktail dresses to floor length gowns.

Wear what makes you feel comfortable but given that it's Carnival I don't think I'd go all out. I might pack a short cocktail dress but I would not wear (or pack) a ball gown.

Old February 1st, 2013, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have sailed on 4 Carnival cruises, so far. I only recall seeing a couple in formal attire once. She wore a ball gown and he wore a tux.

They looked amazing but out of place since they were the only couple dressed up so much.

I agree with the previous poster.

My wife enjoys taking pictures. You can view her slide shows in the Travel section of her website Nancy's Oasis

2013 Christmas RCI Adventure of the Seas So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas RCI Mariner of the Seas W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 RCI Radiance of the Seas ~ Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas RCI Mariner of the Seas W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Western Caribbean Cozumel and Progresso (Chichen Itza)
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Thanks Upsell Fairy ~ Anniversary in 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest Eastern Caribbean Nassau, Freeport, and Key West
2010 Caribbean Princess New England/Canada Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, St. John NS, Halifax NS
2009 Star Princess Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy Western Caribbean Progreso (Uxmal) Cozumel
2007 Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel

Old February 1st, 2013, 04:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

It really depends on what line your on, what time of year, and how sure of you are footing while walking at sea you are. We usually cruise when schools in session so there are more yet to start a family couples, empty nesters, and retiree passengers on board with the dress preferences run the full range from fancied up sundresses to ball gowns.
The shoes on the other hand seem to reflect how experienced the cruisers are:
the newbies are the ones in platform 6 inch heels being held steady by their companion if the seas are rough or carrying the shoes after having to walk the length of the ship ,
the mildly experienced cruisers tend to wear kits heels, or wear higher heels just to dinner then switch to flats for the evening activities,
while the more experienced cruisers tend to walk & dance competently and confidently in heels ranging from 3 to 5 inches.

If you where from NYC, Chicago, or another place where commuting by train is normal I would suggest wearing heeled shoes that you would be comfortable walking the aisle of the car to without grabbing the straps or seats while the train is in motion.
May 2012 Carnival Miracle
July 2011 Carnival Glory
October 2010 Carnival Pride
September 2010 Carnival Glory
Aug 2003 RCI Sovereign of the Seas
July 1992 Premier Oceanic
June 1992 Premier Oceanic
May 1990 Premier Atlantic

Old February 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM
5,000+ Club

We had a formal night (1 out of 7 nights) on a recent Disney cruise. Far less than half even got dressed up much less formal. I would leave the 4 inch heels home (not that I could even stand up in them) and use something you have. Maybe a nice looking pair of sandals. You could still dress up but also be comfortable.
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014

World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com

Old February 1st, 2013, 05:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Formal night's about the dress, not the heels. If you turn up in jeans and t-shirt you might get turned away, but there's no-one measuring your shoes.

On the line I travel with (P&O), most ladies wear posh outfits, but I've never noticed the shoes - I dare say if someone goes head over heels on the stairs I might reckon spot if they were wearing "glamorous" footwear that's not very practical, but otherwise I wouldn't notice. Wear what you like, it'll be wasted on the men! If you told us what line you were with, it might give us a clue to the answer to your question.

Last edited by dsrdsrdsr; February 1st, 2013 at 05:42 PM.

Old February 1st, 2013, 09:01 PM
50,000+ Club

Most women will wear some sort of heels most nights...we want to look good! Not everyone wears stilletos, but still....something that looks good makes you feel good!

Old February 1st, 2013, 09:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks to all the answers... they helped solidify my decision. I'll be sailing on Carnival's Elation. While I'm comfortable on land in heels I think I'll just go out and buy wedges just to be on the safe side until I get a feel for everything.

Old February 1st, 2013, 09:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeesLouise90 View Post
Do people get really dressed up (i.e. wear heels) for the formal night? Can't decide if I should pack my 4-inchers or buy something shorter. It would be easier to just go with what I already have, but I don't really wanna stick out like sore thumb.

Thanks!
I would NEVER EVER wear heels on a cruise. But that's because I'm already 2 inches taller than my husband. Do whatever you want to do!

1/2010 Carnival Imagination
7/2011 Freedom of the Seas
7/2012 Carnival Pride Review
3/2013 Explorer of Seas Picture Review
7/2013 Carnival Glory Review

Old February 1st, 2013, 10:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd be a little concerned about breaking out the Manolos onboard (just in case there's some motion to the ocean), but a nice kitten heel or some dressy sandals could work for your formal night. That's usually what I pack.

And yeah, I'm one of those weirdos who actually does dress up on formal night. I rock the sequins and everything.

Old February 1st, 2013, 11:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have now done away with Formal Night. It takes an extra suite case to carry all of that stuff and I have enough pictures and video's of me pouring Champaigne on the stack of glasses in the main center of the ship. Did not do it on our last cruise on Carnival but may consider it on our upcoming Eastern Med Cruise 12 days on Princess.
Fascination 2013
Ruby Princess 2013

Steviewonder1
Sent from my Rotary Dial Cell-Phone using Rusty Barbed wire and an old Car Battery!
Chance and Fortune favor the Prepared Mind. Louis Pasteur

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:37 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks!
my idea of a heel is about half that.. on a good day.

wear whatever you are comfortable in as long as it looks dressier than a pair of flip flops.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:59 AM
50,000+ Club

How formal night will be? A lot depends on the cruise line -- ship -- itinerary. Hard to say what it will be like on your cruise.

One thing I do know -- it seems like the ship is always rocking more on formal nights than on other nights.

There was a time when I wore floor length skirts with fancy tops with 2 inch heels.

Now that I have to use a walker/rollator -- I have to wear 3/4 length skirts and fancy flats. DH still wears a tuxedo.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

I bring my 4-inch heels on every cruise. Even if I go more casual for formal night (cocktail dress or palazzo pants/top), I still wear my killer pumps.

Previous Cruises:
CCL Paradise 2005
CCL Legend 2011
CCL Splendor 2012x2
CCL Inspiration 2012, 2013x3
CCL Miracle 2013x2, 2014
Sapphire Princess 2014
CCL Imagination 2014

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Most women will wear some sort of heels most nights...we want to look good! Not everyone wears stilletos, but still....something that looks good makes you feel good!
But for quite a lot of women, heels don't make them look good. It just makes their bottom stick out. What's their reason for wearing high heels?

Old February 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's good to know I'm not the only one stressing about formal night! I'm planning on having my wedding dress cut and dyed for the cruise (fairly informal destination wedding type dress!) but it was the shoes that I was most concerned about!

Old February 5th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

You will see every range of fashion on formal night - some of the ladies will look like they are about to compete in the evening gown competition of a beauty pageant - others will look like they are going to a business meeting - some like they're on their way to church. Men's attire will range from tuxedos (really only saw a few of those), to suits and ties, to khakis and a polo shirt.

Some even chose NOT to dress up and avoid the main dining rooms altogether (which is what my hubby and I are doing our next cruise - this is about relaxation for us, not stress over clothing choices !! )

If you enjoy getting all dressed up, go for it !! I imagine whatever you choose to wear (and be comfortable in), you will not stick out like a sore thumb !! Just go and have a great time

SERENADE OF THE SEAS - March 2015 - Bahamas

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrdsrdsr View Post
But for quite a lot of women, heels don't make them look good. It just makes their bottom stick out. What's their reason for wearing high heels?
LOL! I'm pretty sure there's more to it than that... like elongated/toned legs and making us feel sexy which gives us confidence. But for the most part my bottom is the same... just higher with the added height.

Old February 7th, 2013, 01:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks!
You will not stick out like a sore thumb. And as a first timer I would try
formal night as it is one of the last traditions of travel by sea. But don't overdue it, that is, go buy a very expensive outfit when you have something nice already in the closet.

And I am not playing NannyGate with you but have at least one pair of everyday shoes that fully cover your foot...I don't want you breaking a toe when you are out and about the ship and ports.

Old February 7th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
You will not stick out like a sore thumb. And as a first timer I would try
formal night as it is one of the last traditions of travel by sea. But don't overdue it, that is, go buy a very expensive outfit when you have something nice already in the closet.

And I am not playing NannyGate with you but have at least one pair of everyday shoes that fully cover your foot...I don't want you breaking a toe when you are out and about the ship and ports.

So flip flops are not a good choice? I wear those on a normal, out and about day. I like my feet to be free lol