Silhouette TransAtlantic Review

howndder

On April 14th I boarded the Celebrity Silhouette for a 15day crossing. I have come to realize that I don't really like ships this size, but still had a teriffic time on this trip. I believe that the people on Cruise Critic is the main reason. On this trip we were a large force of over 300. We were handled in the list department by our lovely Bettyanne. Thank you. We had many extra activities that were made possible by many posters. I personally was involved with a "Murder Mystery" and a "Wine Party". I also led a group from Civitavecchia to Rome. In addition we had "Slot Pulls", "Cabin Crawls", "Sailaway Party", and other diversions that helped make this a truly great trip. Thank you to everyone for all of your hard work. Special thanks to "Fred aka: Fernando" for some interesting lectures and his take on the stars in our sky. A big round of applause to my new friends from the "Martini Bar", 7:30PM Cocktail Parties were tons of fun. Thanks guys. We had a tremendous array of wonderful people from all over the world. I hope they will remain friends for the rest of my life.

Celebrity does some things amazingly well and then sometimes they really drop the ball. I will be giving my take on this cruise and I will be as honest as I can. I hope that no one takes any offense from me as that is not my intention. I calls them as I sees them.

Boarding; A few days before the sailing we all received emails alerting us not to show up before 12noon due to "Sequestration" problems. Nonsense. As far as I could tell, all of the employees at Port Everglades were subcontractors. Perhaps they were referring to those passengers that were arriving. But I certainly didn't see any problems. I arrived at 1PM and was on board in minutes. Most people were already on board. I don't like buffets very much and so made my way down to "Bistro on 5" for a nice lunch while waiting for my cabin to be ready. For $5.00 extra, I think it's a good deal. After finishing lunch I went to the Maitre D' to buy a 5 meal dinner package. This is a very good deal and well worth the price, usually. They were offerring an even better deal called the "Ultimate" dining package. All specialty restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner at $29.00 per day per person. Truly the best dining package out there. BUT, didn't we all pay for our meals? Why must we pay extra? Why not just have an ala carte restaurant? Then the overall price would be less and we would still eat where we like and pay as much or as little as we like. I think there would be a tremendous portion of the passengers that would grab that in a minute. Then Celebrity did something that made me furious. They started offering half price for the specialty restaurants, undercutting the fare that a lot of people already paid. Why buy in advance??? If they offered these places at lower prices they would be much more full. Really, $45.00 extra for dinner is absurd.

Cabins; excellent! Great storage and fabulous bathrooms. I couldn't have been happier. And top that off with a fantastic room steward named Mauricio and assistant Calvin and it was perfect. A note to all, I was in Concierge and received a hor's dourve plate every evening. I had my guys change that to a Cheese plate, much better.

Food; I for one did not like the main dining room. I only ate there a few times and mostly had the old standbys, like Onion soup, mixed salad and such. My favorite restaurant was "Tuscan Grille", an Italian steak house. Also the lowest priced of the specialty restaurants. $35.00. Pretty much worth it for me. Murano is beautiful and Qsine very interesting. I did not like the Lawn Club Grill as I found the food cooked very unevenly. Plus I'm not spending $45.00 to cook my own food. No, never. I enjoyed the "Porch" lunch restaurant, but felt they could have made the sandwiches thicker. I mean, a couple of slices of Pastrami and a couple of slices of cheese with 3 pieces of bread. Just askthem to double up the meats and you should be good to go. I feel I'm being made to go to the special places and I would really like not too.

The entertainment on the crossings is really not my thing. I went to a cuple of shows, including the wonderful commediane whose name aludes me at the moment. Quite hilarious and quite dirty, but fun. The last production show was very similiar to Cirque d Sole. And rather good dancers. I mostly did the things the Cruise Critic'ers were up too. There were however some problems that should not have happened. Like having the "Cruise Connections" meet at "Michaels Club", a room that hold about 75 and we were 300! They gave us another meeting in the Sky Lounge. That was much better. We were given Michaels Club for our Murder Mystery and that was about the right size. For our Astronomy lecturing friend they gave him a conference room that holds maybe 40 and we had 75 show up. They had promised him a larger one, but alas, not to be. When we went with him to the top deck for a midnight viewing, we couldn't get the ship to turn off the basketball court even though only 1 crew member was using it. Celebrity totally refused to allow of to hold our "Wine Party" unless we paid full corkage. "They didn't want to make a precedent", the hotel director told me. Too bad he didn't know that this ship already had one of these back in December. I understand that this is a profit making company, but felt they could have done this better. A private room would not have had to be in public. And we had promised to tip their employee very nicely.

Now a little complaint about our own group. I don't really understand how some people sign up for things and then not show up. Not even a call. 20 people signed up for Qsine and 4 of us showed up. The manager of this place though deserves some of the blame. He would not hold the space for that evening unless one of us put all the reservations on one card. I know I wouldn't gaurantee 20 spots. 64 people signed up for the Slot Pull, 24 showed up. I don't have the numbers for the Cabin Crawl so I won't comment about that. 3 assigned parts in our Murder most foul never came. I'm very sorry people, but that just isn't done in my book. I think some people get wound up in the thread and just don't think.

Pricing, I found this deal in January. I thought and still think it was a good deal for a single occupancy. Of course, if I had the guts to wait, I could have done even better. Half the price I paid to be exact. Of course this person booked 2 week in advance. How many people can do that. Wait, I can. And Will. I won't buy the cruise in advance anymore and I won't buy the dining package in advance either. I don't think it pays to buy in advance because there are so many ships crossing in Spring and Fall.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I wanted to cover as much as I could. If you have anyquestions for me I'll be glad to answer them.

Howard in beautiful Fort Lauderdale

thanks for your review, we had a similar situation on people not showing up on my Alaska cruise last year for the connections party there were more people from the ship than passengers!

I think last minute cruising as long as you can get airfare is a great way to get deals. I found a 14 day Mumbai to Athens cruise for 999 for a balcony on Oceania which include gratuities and wine, it was about 3 days before the cruise when I found the deal. When I am retired I think I will try for trips where I book airfare to the departure port and just plan a vacation if the cruise does not work out then just use priceline or something else to get a cheap flight back or maybe the cruise line will still have flights back?

Hi Howard, thanks for the review:) no offense taken at all. Well

written (in my opinion).

As for the incosiderate people who never showed up:eek::(....really

sorry you had that experience. I am guessing they are just as incosiderate

in their regular lives (not that it makes what happened any better)

but sometimes people are just rude and have no manners!

Sounds like you had a good time though!:)

Thanks for your review. I know people sign up for things ahead of time then find other interests. I would really be upset if they failed to show up for an excursion as others would have to pay the additional costs for the group if it were a fixed price.

I never have sign ups for the slot pull anymore. It's just a waste of time. I just announce the time/date/place to sign up at the cruise connections party, and whoever shows up gets to play.

Thanks for your honest review. What did you not like about the MDR? Was it the choice of food, the taste of the food, or the atmosphere?

When they offered lower prices on the specialty restaurants, did you ask to have your price adjusted? I am pretty sure they will do that. I really don't think they know which sailings they are going to have dining specials; it depends upon how full the restaurants are. We have been on sailings where there were no specials, & those with half off prices.

Good morning all, still adjusting my time zones, but I had a great nights sleep, with 8 solid hours. Now on a god path to rid myself of that dreadful, "TIme Zone Zombie".

I did find the Main Dining Room NOT to have the quality that Celebrity has had in the past. The choices all seemed tp be their, and the presentation got high marks, but the Chicked always came out dry, their Fish not nearly right and most times dry. I had dinner once in the buffet and found it more liking and I hate serving myself. I wound up having about 10 specialty dinners. I guess I shouuld have taken the "Ultimate Dining Package".

Regarding pricing on the dinner packages, at first they didn't want to give me a fefund by saying the lower priced meals weren't allowed to have any dining time other than 6PM. After speaking to the Maitre D' though, magically I was given the reduction. But thinl of all the other people that didn't know and bought the packages blindly and fogot about it. Shabby.

Howard in Beautiful Fort Lauderdale

Thanks for the review. We will be on the same ship in a little over two weeks.:)

Where did you did your cruise end?

Do you know what time the ship docked there?

What time did you leave the ship?

Did you spend any time in europe after your cruise?

On April 14th I boarded the Celebrity Silhouette for a 15day crossing. I have come to realize that I don't really like ships this size, but still had a teriffic time on this trip. I believe that the people on Cruise Critic is the main reason. On this trip we were a large force of over 300. We were handled in the list department by our lovely Bettyanne. Thank you. We had many extra activities that were made possible by many posters. I personally was involved with a "Murder Mystery" and a "Wine Party". I also led a group from Civitavecchia to Rome. In addition we had "Slot Pulls", "Cabin Crawls", "Sailaway Party", and other diversions that helped make this a truly great trip. Thank you to everyone for all of your hard work. Special thanks to "Fred aka: Fernando" for some interesting lectures and his take on the stars in our sky. A big round of applause to my new friends from the "Martini Bar", 7:30PM Cocktail Parties were tons of fun. Thanks guys. We had a tremendous array of wonderful people from all over the world. I hope they will remain friends for the rest of my life.

Celebrity does some things amazingly well and then sometimes they really drop the ball. I will be giving my take on this cruise and I will be as honest as I can. I hope that no one takes any offense from me as that is not my intention. I calls them as I sees them.

Boarding; A few days before the sailing we all received emails alerting us not to show up before 12noon due to "Sequestration" problems. Nonsense. As far as I could tell, all of the employees at Port Everglades were subcontractors. Perhaps they were referring to those passengers that were arriving. But I certainly didn't see any problems. I arrived at 1PM and was on board in minutes. Most people were already on board. I don't like buffets very much and so made my way down to "Bistro on 5" for a nice lunch while waiting for my cabin to be ready. For $5.00 extra, I think it's a good deal. After finishing lunch I went to the Maitre D' to buy a 5 meal dinner package. This is a very good deal and well worth the price, usually. They were offerring an even better deal called the "Ultimate" dining package. All specialty restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner at $29.00 per day per person. Truly the best dining package out there. BUT, didn't we all pay for our meals? Why must we pay extra? Why not just have an ala carte restaurant? Then the overall price would be less and we would still eat where we like and pay as much or as little as we like. I think there would be a tremendous portion of the passengers that would grab that in a minute. Then Celebrity did something that made me furious. They started offering half price for the specialty restaurants, undercutting the fare that a lot of people already paid. Why buy in advance??? If they offered these places at lower prices they would be much more full. Really, $45.00 extra for dinner is absurd.

Cabins; excellent! Great storage and fabulous bathrooms. I couldn't have been happier. And top that off with a fantastic room steward named Mauricio and assistant Calvin and it was perfect. A note to all, I was in Concierge and received a hor's dourve plate every evening. I had my guys change that to a Cheese plate, much better.

Food; I for one did not like the main dining room. I only ate there a few times and mostly had the old standbys, like Onion soup, mixed salad and such. My favorite restaurant was "Tuscan Grille", an Italian steak house. Also the lowest priced of the specialty restaurants. $35.00. Pretty much worth it for me. Murano is beautiful and Qsine very interesting. I did not like the Lawn Club Grill as I found the food cooked very unevenly. Plus I'm not spending $45.00 to cook my own food. No, never. I enjoyed the "Porch" lunch restaurant, but felt they could have made the sandwiches thicker. I mean, a couple of slices of Pastrami and a couple of slices of cheese with 3 pieces of bread. Just askthem to double up the meats and you should be good to go. I feel I'm being made to go to the special places and I would really like not too.

The entertainment on the crossings is really not my thing. I went to a cuple of shows, including the wonderful commediane whose name aludes me at the moment. Quite hilarious and quite dirty, but fun. The last production show was very similiar to Cirque d Sole. And rather good dancers. I mostly did the things the Cruise Critic'ers were up too. There were however some problems that should not have happened. Like having the "Cruise Connections" meet at "Michaels Club", a room that hold about 75 and we were 300! They gave us another meeting in the Sky Lounge. That was much better. We were given Michaels Club for our Murder Mystery and that was about the right size. For our Astronomy lecturing friend they gave him a conference room that holds maybe 40 and we had 75 show up. They had promised him a larger one, but alas, not to be. When we went with him to the top deck for a midnight viewing, we couldn't get the ship to turn off the basketball court even though only 1 crew member was using it. Celebrity totally refused to allow of to hold our "Wine Party" unless we paid full corkage. "They didn't want to make a precedent", the hotel director told me. Too bad he didn't know that this ship already had one of these back in December. I understand that this is a profit making company, but felt they could have done this better. A private room would not have had to be in public. And we had promised to tip their employee very nicely.

Now a little complaint about our own group. I don't really understand how some people sign up for things and then not show up. Not even a call. 20 people signed up for Qsine and 4 of us showed up. The manager of this place though deserves some of the blame. He would not hold the space for that evening unless one of us put all the reservations on one card. I know I wouldn't gaurantee 20 spots. 64 people signed up for the Slot Pull, 24 showed up. I don't have the numbers for the Cabin Crawl so I won't comment about that. 3 assigned parts in our Murder most foul never came. I'm very sorry people, but that just isn't done in my book. I think some people get wound up in the thread and just don't think.

Pricing, I found this deal in January. I thought and still think it was a good deal for a single occupancy. Of course, if I had the guts to wait, I could have done even better. Half the price I paid to be exact. Of course this person booked 2 week in advance. How many people can do that. Wait, I can. And Will. I won't buy the cruise in advance anymore and I won't buy the dining package in advance either. I don't think it pays to buy in advance because there are so many ships crossing in Spring and Fall.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I wanted to cover as much as I could. If you have anyquestions for me I'll be glad to answer them.

Nice review Howard, I think you were spot on. Nice meeting you.

Alan and Pam

HOWARD!

Enjoyed your review, Diane and I share many of your opinions. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry the meteor shower was a bust, but even MY influence has certain limits. :D :p :rolleyes:

You should have been with Diane and me on Constellation for the December 13th show... it was REALLY cool. :)

Hope to see you again on another cruise! Have fun! Check Please!!! :eek:

Hi Howard,

Glad you arrived home safely. Really enjoyed meeting you on the Ship & our evening in Qsine. Enjoyed reading your review, & like you we didn't make it to many of the shows. Looking forward to when Dave & I are retired and can get last minute bargains.

Marion, Dave & Ken.:)

Thanks Howard for the review - there is nothing in this to have someone hate you.

I was very disappointed with the Slot Pull - 64 signed up and only 24 appeared. Hopefully those that did attend had some fun.

So wish we all could sail together again.

Our four nights in Rome were fantastic. Had wonderful tours with RomeinLimo with Barbara and Venda.

Howard, thanks for the great review. We had a great time meeting our Silly CC friends. Enjoyed our breakfast with you in the Elite breakfast room, aka, Tuscan. You told it as it was, and, I totally agree with you. Nothing in your comments insulted anyone, unless they were guilty. I too thought it was rude to sign on for a function and not show up. Bettyanne and Fred did a great job and deserve thanks from everyone. The Murder Mystery was great and had a very good showing. Thank you all who were involved.

Marie and Bob too!:)

Good review.

The cruise critic group made a great cruise fantastic.

I concur with Mark about the Sunset bar evenings. Fun

I have to defend the MDR. We ate there exclusively and thought it was very good, actually the best of our recent Celebrity cruises.

The Osso Buco was fabulous and I loved the Prime Rib. Desserts were so so, but I'm a red meat eater and sweets aren"t my thing.

The cabin crawl was great, thanks in no small part to John's (Karelet) arrangements. We had a fully attended crowd. (John had to limit the signup) 8 cabins and a 100 people. I enjoyed meeting 10 new people every few minutes in our aft cabin, the poker run was fun, though it cut into chat time during the visit.

The 2 suites were an experience. Claudia hosted the sky suite, while Art entertained us with his banjo. Art's banjo history and technique presentation, later in the cruise, was informative and entertaining. the song-a-long was fun, especially the song that included the lyrics "Gee Whiz" (a great trivia question)* answer below. Thanks Art and Claudia.

The Royal Suite was crowded, since nobody wanted to leave. We were offered wine and appetizers (the shrimp was great). The spa tub on the balcony looked inviting. That's the way to cruise. I don't recall the hosts names, but thanks for the invite.

We met so many great friends, it was hard to decide where to go and not miss anything.

I loved the Mexican train games, splitting my time between Barbie and Kens count the dots version, played in Qsine and Julian's cut-throat rules. It was great fun and I could have used several more sea days.

Captain Demitrius was a fun guy and Lisa, the cruise director made the entertainment even more fun, when she entertained us with her fabulous singing. I thought the "Beatles" were very good and had the "aged" crowd hopping.

The weather was the best ever for a transatlantic, with many days of following seas. I enjoyed hearing from Captain Demitrius that the Reflection (on a more northerly course, a few days behind us) had 20 foot waves to deal with.

Thanks to all the great people we met for a wonderful experience. I'm thinking: same time next year.

Hey Howard, breakfast in the Tuscan, with cappuccinos, wasn't too shabby for us Elite members. Sorry, Mark, no riff-raff allowed.

*Trivia answer: Dream,dream,dream by the Everly Brothers.

It was great to meet Renae, still not sure about meeting you Harald :p

Hey Harald

I believe it was Kevin who was upgrade to the RS

My upgrade was pretty good ;)

I do like the Silhouette route for next April TA

As it does have more Europe ports that we have not visit

And we will be Elite by then :eek:

Mark

Good morning all, I would like to answer those people that asked certain questions.

Ship size, I'm sorry, but I really do prefer smaller ships. I find 3,000 people too large a group. However, on this sailing we were about 300+ CC'ers and that was pretty much the only people I saw and met. Having CC in my life make everything ever so much better. So you see, being on a ship that holds about 300+ would be best for me.

Cabins, well if I had a Royal suite, I too wouldn't want to leave. It belies that statement that, People don't spend much time in their cabin". Inside cabin people leave, Royal suite people stay. At least I did when I was last in a Royal.

Elite Breakfast, one of the better perks of being "Elite". Sorry Mark:rolleyes:

Dining room, Harald and Renee, it wa very nice meeting you both as well and I'm glad your dining room experience was better than mine. Enough said.

Crossing, we had amazingly smooth seas, our clocks changed in the evening before bed time andI don't remember any theme eveings. They did had the Swanky Buffet Lunch on day, but, oops I missed it. (or did I):eek:

Our cruise ended in Civitavecchia and we arrived at 4AM. I know as I was up almost the entire evening. :cool: I had arrange a van for 8 of us and we left the ship at 730AM and met our driver from "East Airport Taxi" at 8AM. Worked like a charm. 160 Euro for 2 stops in addition to our central stop at "Rome Termini". I spent 2 extra nights in Rome and walked my feet off. But it was great.

In conclusion, I can only say one thing..........

This is Howard in Sunny and wonderful Fort. Lauderdale

It was also funny on this cruise, we meet one couple on the cruise who live in the next town 6 miles away, who were travelling with their friends who lived 1/2 mile away from us. But they were not on CC, but they will be now

I have to say this was was the best cruise we have been on because all the great people we meet

Mark

Thank you, it helps.

Dale

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your review. I’m on the Silhouette TA next April 2014 - first eastbound TA.

I hosted the December TA 2012 wine party. It was held in the Tuscan Grill dining room. We were charged $5 per bottle for the corkage fee. I felt that was very reasonable and so did the group.

Sorry you had people on your roll call that didn’t show up when they said they would, especially at Qsine.

Looking forward to sailing with Captain Demitrius. He was so funny last year with his daily announcements.

Do you have your dailies that would show the days of the time changes?

What nights were the formal nights?

Thanks!!

Monica

Archived