Walkie Talkies

Fishymom

It will depend on how big the ship you are on is. We have used them on Fantasy class ships without any problems, but I would imagine it would get hard to use, if you started adding several more floors to it.

As far as "other passengers who don't like to hear it", :rolleyes: Who cares if they don't like it really.

Even on big ships its really not the hard to find your people. Consider that most decks are cabin space

you get an activity sheet. Highlight what you are interest in and use different colors for each family member

Each cabin is equipped with voice mail which you can call using any house phone located at every elevator

For the poster who says who cares if others are put out with your walkies. I hope you never encounter those people who paid a lot of money for their vacation and they will do as they please no matter what. Shame on you

We looked into the Ripple Communicator so we could use our own phones instead of walkies, but regrettably the feedback has not been good. If we can't figure out a good solution we will have to go the ol' synchronize swatches route. :-(

I am looking forward to reading more productive suggestions other than, leaving the technology at home. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by avandrie

It will depend on how big the ship you are on is. We have used them on Fantasy class ships without any problems, but I would imagine it would get hard to use, if you started adding several more floors to it.

As far as "other passengers who don't like to hear it", :rolleyes: Who cares if they don't like it really.

Seriously. You sound like someone that should be avoided on a cruise.

how well those they work on the ships?

Any certain kinds you can recommend?

We bought them for a family cruise about 4 years ago and after two days decided they were more trouble than they were worth left them in cabin and returned them when we got home.

Fishy mom I totally agree. That is the reason we started using them several years ago. Our experience with this has only been on the larger ships and like I said we have had great luck. My DD also likes them as much as we do so she can let us know if her plans changed or Camp Carnival is moving to a different location or she needs us without going and looking for a message in the room or searching several spots. Good luck and do what you feel will make you and your family feel the most comfortable. You do not want to be spending your vacation worrying. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the feedback

We have family in other cabins and also our oldest has hit that age where he can check himself out of camp if needed/ instructed to- but still makes us nervous when we aren't right there with them, Kwim?

we are going with a 9 year old and I will give her persmission to sign out.

She will know where we are by the daily activity sheet. (girl knows her way around the ship better then we do) I trust her enough to know that when she leaves the camp she will be right there where we are.

If I did not trust her to do that-- I would not let her sign out. If I do find her wandering where she shouldnt be-- i will take back the sign out privileges.

you are given the kids activity pages- so by looking at those he should see what he wants to do-- and what he doesnt want to do. and taht activity page should list where the activity is being held-- they are not going to move from one space to another if its not listed. Not all kids have the sign out priviledge

the walkies are more of a nuisance. many people will be using them and to find a clear channel-- good luck with that

So, in your twisted view of the world, you and your brood are the only people that matter. Everybody else trying to enjoy their cruise can just go to h**l.

What a cheap attitude! :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Nice. I'm sure people around you just love your attitude.:rolleyes:

Have cruised with many different cabin mates - children, grandchildren, sister. Never once felt the need or even the inclination, to keep in instant touch. Post-it notes work great when we choose to separate. To each his own.

Even on the biggest ships, you'll often run into your family members even when not looking for them. The cabins all have phones, and on many ships, there are courtesy phones you can use to leave messages on any cabin's phone. On our last cruise, the three of us used written notes very successfully, and our teen knew when dinner was (we had assigned) so if she was going to join us, she knew when to return to the cabin to get changed or else just meet us there.

As for the OP, just let your child know, as serene pointed out about her child, the rules in order to continue having check-out privileges. My daughter didn't have these when she was 8 -- up to certain ages, depending on cruise line, the parent can grant these or not.

As for walkie-talkies, most of the time they don't work, in many ports you won't be legally allowed to use them, and they tend to be noisy. Don't be the passenger with a smart a-- attitude that feels your needs come before others.

Don't know what would be more obnoxious -- your walkie talkies or your attitude. Oh! Both!

If someone really has to keep in touch with family/friends also on board, the best cruise line for them are currently Disney and starting in a few months, Princess.

On DCL each cabin comes with 2 cordless 'wave phones' that you can use around the ship to keep in touch.

Princess is coming out with a new app that passengers can use to text each other (among other abilities). I may have some details wrong, but it will use the ship's intranet (not Internet). It is starting in November IIRC on either the Regal or Royal. The other is following in January with the rest of the fleet coming on later in 2015.

I read the Princess email, thought 'that's interesting, no annoying walkie talkies', and promptly forgot the specifics. I'm sure their website has more details for anyone who HAS to have constant contact.

Edited by Mary Ellen

how well those they work on the ships?

Any certain kinds you can recommend?

As I've posted on many of these threads about radios, if you want to see what works onboard, look at what the crew uses.

They will use a 5 watt, UHF radio that costs about $400 per copy, and even these require repeater antenna placed around the ship to ensure coverage. While some claim to have had adequate service with cheaper FRS radios, their expectations may be lower than yours, and there will always be the one day, or one spot on the ship that you don't get good coverage. If the ships could get by with cheaper radios, they would, since the average cruise ship stocks about 100-200 of them.

As I've posted on many of these threads about radios, if you want to see what works onboard, look at what the crew uses.

They will use a 5 watt, UHF radio that costs about $400 per copy, and even these require repeater antenna placed around the ship to ensure coverage. While some claim to have had adequate service with cheaper FRS radios, their expectations may be lower than yours, and there will always be the one day, or one spot on the ship that you don't get good coverage. If the ships could get by with cheaper radios, they would, since the average cruise ship stocks about 100-200 of them.

Unbelievable that so many folks seem to not understand the "search" function on CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unbelievable that so many folks seem to not understand the "search" function on CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Of course, a search on walkie-talkies would bring up the many threads -- some people simply asking if they're practical/usable, and some others insisting that they want to use them, and a third group trying to pitch a specific type. Fortunately, many of those in the first group will see that there are better ways to communicate with others on board.