I am not impressed

Minoushka

By Oceania customer service .We are arriving in papeete at 5 am .i was told no boarding till 1 pm ..so obvious question what do I do with luggage until then

They say go to port give it to porter ...hand luggage too ??!,,not risky ?go visit Papeete after 17 hours ...in sardine cans yeah sure ...good idea ..when I am half dead on my feet .....:(

I asked about last day ...need to vacate by 10 am the latest ..once again ...luggage will be transfered only if you purchase their transfer ...refused to give me price ...must get it from agent ...really ?if you get their transfer they will keep hand luggage too if not ...you are out of luck .....is that the best they can do ?

Otherwise they do not know where you can leave luggage and hand luggage to be light to visit.......

Tours have told me no big luggage

So ....no tours organizedby Oceania for last day ...why not ?

They claim to be 6 stars ..this is not 6 star service

Who has been who has idea. That will not cost $$$$$$

Like I said so far not impressed

It's one of the endless mysteries of life, how people will travel to a destination specifically because it is exotic and unusual, will then lose their minds because they don't find a fully staffed Ritz Carlton operating there at bargain basement rates.

Typically, Oceania will supply space in a hotel where you (and your luggage) will be able to stay until it is time to get to the airport for your homeward flight; but on arrival day, any luggage that you don't feel comfortable leaving with the Porters will have to remain your personal responsibility.

IMO, they really should have opted for Oceania transfers. This is something that I feel is important in remote areas. Having been to Tahiti a few times and knowing that flights come in early land depart late (generally), we either get a day room or arrange for our own tour. Unfortunately, any option that you choose will cost money (unless you sit outside of the ship and wait for embarkation).

Whichever cruise ship you are on, there are requirements for afternoon embarkation and early disembarkation (actually 10:00 a.m. is the latest I have heard for having to get off of the ship). In order clean and prepare the ship between cruises, they need a few hours. You can imagine how difficult it would be if there were passengers from the last cruise hanging around along with passengers from the upcoming cruise coming on board.

You still have time (I think) to arrange Oceania transfers. IMO, that is the best option.

I would certainly find out what is offered with the Oceania transfers. Perhaps they'll offer a bus tour on the last day, prior to the flight. Or access to a hospitality suite at one of the hotels prior to board.

If you want to roll your own, you could rent a car and explore the island of Tahiti on your last day. Or see if you can book a day room on the day you arrive. Wandering around downtown Papeete on Sunday morning doesn't sound too attractive to me.

I have not yet been to Papeete yet, and this issue seems to come up frequently here on that destination. Isn't that the destination where Oceania does the charter flight to from LAX?

Several ways to take care of the problem. (1) Arrive a day or so early, I always do and sight see. (2) Book a day room and drop your bags at the hotel, get a shower, and sightsee some. (3) Don't know the hotels there, but in many, if you tip the concierge, they will store your bags for you until you return for them, even if you're not staying at the hotel (4) Buy Oceania's transfers and let them take care of them.

In any of the above, keep you hand helds an carry ons down to a weight you would want to walk around with!!

I Booked a hotel for the last day .will take a cab to get to it ..it was the easiest We shall see how it goes ..at least we can visit ...light

On the first day will go to port ...drop stuff off ...head to Le marche

Edited by mmemichele

On disembark in Papeete, we booked an around the island tour and told them we would have our luggage, so they put us on a larger coach.

...then we had them drop us at the hotel that Oceania uses...where we booked a day room and enjoyed the pool and facilities...had a nice relaxing dinner...

...then took a cab to the airport for our night flight.

Sounds like we had a much less stressful time than you are anticipating?

Edited by computerworks

Interesting that they do not provide a day room like PG. We were never left out in the "cold"

They picked us up and took us to the Intercontinental , provided vouchers for breakfast, same on the return even we had been in Moorea for three days. Quite seamless.

We have cruised with O on Med&European itineraries and have never encountered any problems with embarkation/disembark. They have always offered excellent service. I must add that when opting for the DEVIATION it eliminates much of what you are experiencing. We usually arrive days/week prior to cruise, show up at the dock as independent travelers & board without delay. O's cruise/flight arrangements to FP are VERY different from other itineraries because of the limited flights. After some research we opted for the deviation- YUL-LAX-PPT / PPT-LAX-YUL and we had nonstop, daytime flights. This way we did not have the challenges you are having to deal with: the charter and redeye flights. For our trip, O offered daytime flights out of LAX-4PM and PPT 10:30AM (with & without deviation) so I presume your agent did not request it or your late booking had none available. All this to say that- you cannot judge O's performance on this FPolynesia itinerary....they are offering the best arrangements for a less than favorable situation.

FYI: the luggage storage at city hall is secure, lock your bags & carry your valuables with you.

O offers different pkgs: including charters, early arrival & hotel, transfer/tour.

A knowledgeable TA can also help you with all these details. Along with much research, I work with a TA who helps me with such details & gives me great perks:)

It all seems very challenging but I'm certain it will all work out.

Obviously the OP has found a solution. Since she speaks fluent French, she should not anticipate any problems whatsoever. Just be careful about 'attitude', the islanders react negatively to it.

PG must have figured the dayroom + breakfast into the cruise fare. Maybe Oceania doesn't want to do that because a high number of passengers stay a few days before and after. I highly recommended it if you have the time.

It's one of the endless mysteries of life, how people will travel to a destination specifically because it is exotic and unusual, will then lose their minds because they don't find a fully staffed Ritz Carlton operating there at bargain basement rates.

Typically, Oceania will supply space in a hotel where you (and your luggage) will be able to stay until it is time to get to the airport for your homeward flight; but on arrival day, any luggage that you don't feel comfortable leaving with the Porters will have to remain your personal responsibility.

I must say that Tahiti is not some out of the way remote place. It is very sophisticated and easy to get around. There are nice hotels, and great transportation. We spent our last three days in Moorea, took a super nice 45 minute ferry ride over there

image.jpg.f23c4bd5ee7278c09f125a16a01cc253.jpg

There was a thread last season about people with later flights being allowed to stay onboard until time to head to the airport

You still had to be out of the cabin by noon I think but you did have free use of the ship unlike other cruises where you are out & off by 9am

Maybe this is still the case with the FP cruises

maybe some previous cruisers can comment or search for the other thread

I think as others have said FP is an exception

Lyn

I must say that Tahiti is not some out of the way remote place. It is very sophisticated and easy to get around. There are nice hotels, and great transportation. We spent our last three days in Moorea, took a super nice 45 minute ferry ride over there

And I must say that your familiarity with the area makes your original post seem even more disingenuous.

You knew that the logistics of getting to Polynesia from North America are difficult to say the least, yet every impediment is described by you as a shortcoming of Oceania Customer Service.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

We just don't believe in flying in the same day the cruise begins. Beyond the boarding issue stated here, it is risky and we do not like to begin a cruise with jet lag.

The simple solution is to fly in a day or two earlier, book a hotel, enjoy Tahiti (or wherever your cruise departs from) and then board when boarding opens.

And I must say that your familiarity with the area makes your original post seem even more disingenuous.

You knew that the logistics of getting to Polynesia from North America are difficult to say the least, yet every impediment is described by you as a shortcoming of Oceania Customer Service.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

You make no sense guys! I am not being critical of OUR trips to FP. It appears you have me confused with the OP! We have been twice, and both times it was perfect. Flew to LA Business class, and then on BC to Tahiti. Couldn't have ask for anything easier. It was easier than getting to Miami two weeks ago.

What is your point in the first place. The OP has a right to her opinion regardless.

After deliberating on my available options I think I found the best solution .I will go to our hotel .unload and tKe off to visit ,have dinner etc .Our room should be ours to rest and shower before going to the airport

I think it will be fine ...looking forward to exploring Papeete ...any suggestions ?

Michele

Michele,

If it's a weekday, just hang out in Papeete, do some people watching, buy black pearls or vanilla, tiare and coconut based perfume, soap, skin cream (in a parfumerie not at the market), have a cup of coffee in an outdoor café, walk along the water front. On Sunday, go to church for the singing and/or to the beach in your hotel. Have dinner at the roulottes near the ferry pier, a lot more fun and more reasonably priced than the hotel restaurant. They open at 6 p.m. Relax, this is not a visit to Paris. ;)

After deliberating on my available options I think I found the best solution .I will go to our hotel .unload and tKe off to visit ,have dinner etc .Our room should be ours to rest and shower before going to the airport

I think it will be fine ...looking forward to exploring Papeete ...any suggestions ?

Michele

Be sure to go to the big market and buy a flower arrangement to take on the ship..they are gorgeous, inexpensive and last a long time on the ship...

Jancruz1

Michele

Michelle, it's a Sunday, right? I'm not sure if the Marché will be open on Sunday at all--perhap early morning only (sorry, can't remember.)

Get a day room for arrival and departure...relax around the pool. I cannot imagine O not providing these options as PG does? Make it easy and the key word is "relax".

The PG does provide great options. However, with Oceania, if you do not book "transfers" you are left to figure it out on your own. Is it the same with PG? IMO, the PG is the best way to see French Polynesia! Just my opinion.

The PG does provide great options. However, with Oceania, if you do not book "transfers" you are left to figure it out on your own. Is it the same with PG? IMO, the PG is the best way to see French Polynesia! Just my opinion.

If I recall correctly, PG also gives you the option of day rooms etc. and my TA explained the necessity of getting a room due to the early arrivals and late departures. It all cost $$, but well worth it for convenience. We thoroughly enjoyed our PG cruise and they have it all down to a science and many repeat customers. A group from Quebec were there and enjoying themselves immensely. Not too difficult when you do it right.