Suez Canal

kruisey

Personally we would not worry. But we know cruisers who worry about everything including their sheets and pillows. The world situation is always changing and the cruise lines keep a close eye on changes so that cruisers can simply have fun and leave the worries to others.

Hank

No. You have over a year for things to settle down or otherwise change. No captain/cruise line is going to endanger their ship/passengers if it can be avoided. Start worrying this time next year. EM

Seeing you asked and it is strictly a personal choice, I would not go but that is only me.

The cruise lines/Captains' first responsibility is safety of crew, guests and ship. If they deem it too dangerous, they will not go. Each guest must decide their risk comfort level. Mine is such I would not enjoy myself so why go to the other side of the world if I am uneasy?

My ship is going through Suez Canal early October 2016.With the Middle East situation would you be worried?

Some folk from your side of the Pond worry so much about the Middle East that they won't travel to anywhere in Europe. Much too close. :rolleyes:

There's the risk of terrorism, but far more instances of grizzly outcomes just crossing the road in Cairo, Jerusalem, London, Paris, New York, Vancouver, and doubtless S7S's home town.

There are convoys of ships constantly transiting the Suez every day.

But there are those who believe that if there's a terrorist act against a ship in the canal it's is likely to be aimed at their ship. They're the same folk who believe that of all the aircraft flying the skies at any given time, a terrorist attack will be aimed at their plane when they are on it.

I've given up trying to convince them - as far as I'm concerned they can vegetate at home. :rolleyes:

Just MHO as always

JB :)

I went through the Suez Canal last year. Our ports in Egypt had previously been cancelled but we had no problems. I really enjoyed watching the landscape of Egypt as we passed.

As mentioned, the cruise lines are not going to take you where there are creditable threats. Relax and look forward to a wonderful experience.

There's the risk of terrorism, but far more instances of grizzly outcomes just crossing the road in Cairo, Jerusalem, London, Paris, New York, Vancouver, and doubtless S7S's home town.

I'm sure you've heard of the Boston Marathon terrorist bombing a few years back. ;)

I wonder if some will be as diligent in warning others against any cruises involving Boston. That was a much more recent attack than there has been in the Suez Canal.

Edited by Mary Ellen

Why would anyone bother belittling someone else's views?

I didn't tell anyone else what they should do? Why would you think I need to be told where I should or should not wish to go/feel safe? Until you've walked in someone else's shoes, you do not know why their heads are where they are at. You don't know my personal experiences and what I have encountered. I don't know your experiences and really don't think it my business.

As to the way the Boston Marathon is mentioned..... oh my. Surely you know how many suffered horrifically?

However, I would not be in Boston for the Marathon nor for the 4th of July Concert and Fireworks which are among the most popular and well attended in the country.

Edited by sail7seas

As to the way the Boston Marathon is mentioned..... oh my. Surely you know how many suffered horrifically?

Exactly my point. No place is "safe". I can't say I'd avoid the Suez Canal any more than I'd avoid Boston.

And that is my point.....

I can say I will avoid places of my choice.

We all get to make that choice and as long as we don't compel others to agree with us, what is the problem?

Of course, no place is safe. There were people in Lockerbee who were sitting in their kitchens having dinner when Pan Am 103 crashed into their houses. We get to choose what risks we wish to take and which we do not ..... all for our own reasons.

Edited by sail7seas

I would not worry going through the Suez Canal.

There is a lot of security there.

I am still not sure I would get off in Egypt as we've done in the past but I would make my decision on that closer to the cruise.

Keith

Yes, there are some people there who want us dead.

But by the way there are some in our own country who want us dead too.

You have two choices.

Sit at home and not travel because things can happen anywhere including going to a Batman Movie or even to school or you can explore the world.

Keith

It was reading about the double attack in Tunisia that got me going.:eek:

I am an old lady who loves to see the world and thought this might be my last chance(One never knows when one reaches the great 80 ),

The whole itinerary seems really exciting to me plus mostly in sunshine plus we have a promenade deck:)

Very pleased with all your replies and different points of view......Heather:)

Its all an illusion. Live each day to its fullest.

Who of you by being worried can add a single hour to their life?

-Sean

I obviously am not expressing myself well, sadly.

None of us can say we are adding an hour to our lives by choosing to avoid traveling to certain locales. We can say we are doing what it is we want, where we want, when we want. I am one who does not want to sail Suez Canal right now so I have the ability and the right to say, "No". :D

I'm not telling anyone else what they should do. I'm sure no one intends to tell me (or others) what to do.

Edited by sail7seas

I obviously am not expressing myself well, sadly.

None of us can say we are adding an hour to our lives by choosing to avoid traveling to certain locales. We can say we are doing what it is we want, where we want, when we want. I am one who does not want to sail Suez Canal right now so I have the ability and the right to say, "No". :D

I'm not telling anyone else what they should do. I'm sure no one intends to tell me (or others) what to do.

Oh my, you have been getting some stick on this thread.;)

In fairness, you have been very clear in all your posts that you're only saying what you would or would not be happy to do.

But simply by posting we are all effectively trying to sway the OP one way or the other.

If I didn't, I wouldn't waste my time contributing to this thread.

And neither perhaps would you. ;)

Your stance is in a minority, S7S, take it on the chin and we can all move on & cross swords (pleasantly, of course) on some other subject. :D

JB :)