Jazz on a Crossing

RJChatsworth

This is the third day at sea on an eastbound transatlantic crossing with the theme being, ‘A jazz festival at sea’. When we booked this voyage we were aware of the theme, but not its extent. There are some 15 ‘star-studded’ musicians including singer Gregory Porter (in lieu of Natalie Cole). A number are Grammy Award winners. I should point out that I am not particularly interested in jazz.

The musicians play in different locations on the ship in smaller and larger groups of players. Yesterday I attended a Q&A session in Illuminations with Don Was, Head of Blue Note Records and Jo Haley, Entertainment Director. It wasn’t particularly well attended – I expected the place to be full. There was a large TV camera at the back (recording for whom?) in addition to the ship’s in-house camera. As a non-believer there seemed to be a certain amount of ‘artistic’ waffle, but there were interesting moments about how Don Was was appointed Head of Blue Note Records, how he found Gregory Porter and the resurgence in vinyl record sales. Interestingly, the 40 year old cutting equipment is in short supply so there is a wait-time of over six months for work to be completed – perhaps a business opportunity for someone!

Last evening six or seven of the musicians, without a singer, gave two jazz concerts in the Royal Court Theatre at 2045 and 2230. I went to the first performance. The theatre was pretty full, the musicians were certainly very talented, but the loud, unmelodious (to me) noise grated after a while so I left. I noted a number of others leaving up to the time I departed.

On the fourth morning at 1100 there was a Q&A in Illuminations with six of the musicians, Don Was and the Entertainment Director. Five of the musicians turned up five minutes late and the sixth ten minutes late. The excuse given, that it was challenging to get a bunch of musicians together on time after giving a concert the evening before. How about the disrespect shown towards the audience who had turned up on time?!

The format for the Q&A event was strange. First, a musician was introduced by Jo Haley and then the Head of Blue Note records asked him a question. The same procedure was repeated with the next musician and so on. This made the event somewhat tedious, with some musicians hardly audible even with microphones. Other musicians were obviously good at blowing, but less so at speaking and being interviewed. Some slouched in their chairs as if they didn’t really want to be there. Many of the passengers attending hung on to every word and clapped loudly and enthusiastically all the way through. This suggested there were some jazz fanatics amongst the small audience. I guess Illuminations was about a third full which was very disappointing considering the venue was almost completely full for all other speakers: Robert Thirsk astronaut about six months on the International Space Station, Captain Howard Deck on being an airline pilot, Captain Andrew Wallis about the Guards and Royal Family, and Christine Roussel on restoring the Statue of Liberty and being an Art Historian.

There are two more concerts in the theatre this evening and one tomorrow evening, but this time with the singer, Gregory Porter. They are all ticket events with each passenger being given one ticket for one of the three concerts over the two evenings, without a choice. They must be attempting to avoid a stampede to the theatre by passengers. Alternatively this evening there is a featured event in Illuminations, Marc Paul, a mind-reader.

Our tickets duly arrived for the third of the concerts. However, we were passing the theatre just before the first one on our way to Illuminations to see the mind reader when we stopped and wondered whether we could gain access to the jazz concert without a ticket. The man on the door said tickets only and I suggested that giving one ticket per passenger for one of three concerts means you are expecting the theatre to be full, but not everyone with a ticket will attend. He said, ‘Oh, go on in’ which we did and sat upstairs (from deck 3). The auditorium in front of the stage, upstairs and downstairs, was completely full. However, the side adjacent to the stage, opposite us, had about 100 empty seats. It may have been the same on the side we were sitting.

The concert began about 7 or 8 minutes late – what is it with these musicians! Whilst waiting people where beginning to mutter, ’I shan’t give it long because I’m not a jazz lover’, and ‘Shouldn’t we be slow handclapping?’

The musicians stood on the stage looking at the audience for a few moments without playing, but I could hear the drummer banging his sticks on the drums. I thought he was warming up, but then it became apparent that the concert had indeed started. It was like the evening before, some fine musicians doing their thing, but to me not in a tuneful way.

After three minutes there was a trickle of people leaving from upstairs and this went on throughout. When we first sat down I noticed a youngish couple sitting next to us who I took to be enthusiasts. I have no idea why I thought that. Well before the end they had gone too. We stuck it out. Gregory Porter came on after 20 or 25 minutes and the whole session perked up. I think he has a good voice, but better when he is not singing jazz. At the end, those in the well of the auditorium gave a rousing applause and some gave a standing ovation. When the lights came on it was apparent many rows of people had left before the end – perhaps not their cup of tea!

On the fifth day at sea there was an advertised Q&A in the Royal Court Theatre between Gregory Porter and Don Was, with initial introductions by Jo Haley. This is unusual as Q&A’s with leading politicians or well-known showbiz performers are normally conducted by the Entertainment Director. In practice Jo did the initial introductions and shared the questioning with Don Was, supporting his usual wide-brimmed hat. Jo Haley is a good host and Entertainment Director. The theatre appeared to be less than half full. These Q&A’s normally attract larger audiences in my experience.

Gregory Porter was brought up in Bakersfield, made his first record at the age of 38 and has given 250 concerts worldwide in the past year. He gave the impression of being caught on the hop with each question with lengthy replies usually involving his mother, family and his life’s experiences, and including too many words like ‘you know’ and ‘organic’. Nevertheless, he came over as a warm and engaging individual who burst into song during many answers. He was asked about his iconic hat. He said, like many jazz musicians, he started wearing a hat in his early days of singing and it now defines him so doesn’t leave it off whilst performing. Much of any success of the Jazz at Sea venture must be due to his presence. Will he or someone else with the same stature be available in the future?

Cunard is advertising two jazz crossings next year, a westbound one in August and an eastbound one in October. I am not sure how many of Cunard’s current clientele are into jazz, but these events may attract more who are. Will teenagers in August be attracted? Jazz in the UK seems to be on the wane; I don’t know about the USA. Then there are the passengers from the other 40 or 50 countries on the ship. Do they like jazz? I wish Cunard well, but we won’t be on any of them.

I note that Cunard seems to be moving towards ‘themed’ crossings with one on fashion and another on big bands next year.

I look forward to hearing from others, particularly those on-board, who might be jazz fanatics and have an alternative view to mine.

Thank you for your full in-person report. It's good to know (or in this case, to be warned) that jazz will be the predominate entertainment on these "Blue Note Jazz" voyages. It's not for me, although I enjoyed the Julliard jazz group when they were on board as they were an alternative entertainment.

The other reason I would steer clear of Blue Note Jazz as well as Stars at Sea sailings is the "relaxed" evening dress code with but one formal night. The experience you described is not the one that I would want on a QM2 crossing. :mad:

Hi

I'm afraid I subscribe to the view that the definition of jazz, is a bunch of people playing different tunes at the same time. Not a fan.

Neither would I want to go on any themed crossing or cruise, as I would expect they would attract serious enthusiasts whose primary interest was that theme, to the detriment of all else.

Stewart

Spot on RJChatsworth , I couldn't have put it better.

Memo to myself ...... 'Stay clear of any Blue Note Crossings in the future' !! .. and judging by the 'less than half full' venues around the ship during each evening performance ,I'm not the only one who feels the same.

As for the 45 minute build up (at the 10.30pm performance) before Gregory Porter appeared, and then only time to sing three songs before the show finished (at 11.34) what on earth was all that about :mad:

Hello

So great to get a full report on the jazz crossing.

I was interested in the August 1, 2016 Westbound crossing but when I found out it is going to be Jazz Cruise, I decided against it because that sort of music is not appealing to me especially in large quantities and also because of the degraded dress code. I doubt that I am alone. I wonder if Cunard will reconsider. I hope they do based on passenger feedback. Instead I am booking the Fashion week crossing on 9/1. I think it will be nicer to look at pretty dresses than listen to a lot of jazz dissonant music

I have very much enjoyed the National Symphony Orchestra crossings but it is unclear when the next one will be. It would be nice if that took the place of the jazz crossing on 8/1.

Thank you,

Deck Chari

Edited by deck chair

Well,

I guess Cunard’s marketing effort is not going well. As an American jazz lover, I booked Oct. 29 because Miss Cole was to be on board;when she canceled I cancelled and decided to save my money for my World Cruise next year. I enjoy the Chart Room jazz evenings and I delight in Ronnie Scott’s when in London. BUT it is my experience that many British and Australian passengers of a certain age( I am 72) do not understand or enjoy jazz in many of its forms. It is a uniquely American musical form that arises out of the American social experience. It’s like modern art-some of it is breathtaking and some of it is awful or bizarre;same with jazz. Miles Davis would send many people screaming from the room.

Remember Lady Rose’s surprise for Lord Grantham’s birthday? When the jazz dance band started playing the Dowager asked whether the musicians were all playing the same thing. Jazz is for many an aquired taste, I wish Cunard well in it’s marketing efforts and whenever I’m on my favorite ship you’ll find me in the Chart Room after dinner enjoying the music.

I have heard one report (second hand) from this jazz crossing:

In the Queens Room when the captain was giving his welcome speech from the dance floor (with YoYo stood alongside), when he announced/mentioned the dates of next year's jazz crossings and started to speak of the success of the current voyage there were shouts from some passengers of "no" "not more" "shame" and other such things called out, all very negative. I was told that the captain then spoke quietly with YoYo for a few seconds and then they both left the dance floor without finishing his speech.

Anyone here a witness to this? (or was my good friend (who was on board but didn't attend) misinformed by a fellow passenger (who did)?)

Edited by pepperrn

In the Queens Room when the captain was giving his welcome speech from the dance floor (with YoYo stood alongside), when he announced/mentioned the dates of next year's jazz crossings and started to speak of the success of the current voyage there were shouts from some passengers of "no" "not more" "shame" and other such things called out, all very negative. I was told that the captain then spoke quietly with YoYo for a few seconds and then they both left the dance floor without finishing his speech.

Anyone here a witness to this? (or was my good friend (who was on board but didn't attend) misinformed by a fellow passenger (who did)?)

Well I was on this cruise and at one of the Captain's Welcome aboard speech and he never mentioned future jazz cruises this was mentioned by Peninsular Club representative and although there was no excitement and there was certainly no quiet speech and nobody left the dance floor without finishing his speech. Unless this happened at the second meetings which I very much doubt because nobody mentioned it for the rest of the cruise. One thing you have learnt from this is dont always believe second hand info which is often wrong and even worse dont put it into social media without knowing full facts.

Spot on RJChatsworth , I couldn't have put it better.

Memo to myself ...... 'Stay clear of any Blue Note Crossings in the future' !! .. and judging by the 'less than half full' venues around the ship during each evening performance ,I'm not the only one who feels the same.

As for the 45 minute build up (at the 10.30pm performance) before Gregory Porter appeared, and then only time to sing three songs before the show finished (at 11.34) what on earth was all that about :mad:

We did roundtrip transatlantic crossing (inc jazz cruise) and the Royal Court Theatre was never full for any performance by anybody due to the poor view from seating at sides of theatre. Whenever there was a jazz performance on in Chart Rooom or G32 they were all packed out and people standing.

Thank you for report, RJChatsworth, discouraging though it was even to a jazz lover like myself. Unfortunately, should we make a crossing next summer, our westbound sailing would have to be the August 1st Blue Note. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that Cunard does something to reduce the pain of this ill-conceived venture by then. Restoring the dress code would be a simple way to begin.

Just to be clear, we boarded on Thursday and I think the Captain's welcoming party was on the Saturday. There were in fact three, 1st and 2nd Britannia sittings including Club Britannia in the Queens room and the Grills on the same evening in the Winter Gardens. I went to the latter and nothing was said there. It would have been too early. Later in the week there was the World Club Party and I recall the Captain mentioning the success of the Jazz to be met by a stoney silence. There would normally be a positive response with such an announcement but there wasn't. I heard no cries of 'shame' or 'no', but there were a lot of people there. However, after that both of the two Future Voyage staff spoke. I am sure it was YoYo who said we are now able to make an important announcement about two new jazz crossings next year!

Next year's Jazz crossings have been in the schedule since the schedule came out. I've noticed that this year's have been on deep discount for many months and would not be surprised to see that they're not continued in 2017.

Yes, I agree with you, I too new about them. Why the two Jazz cruises for 2016 were announced in such a manner I do not know, but perhaps most people are not 'on the ball' so didn't know about them! The Future Voyage's staff were, after all, looking for sales.

... One thing you have learnt from this is dont always believe second hand info which is often wrong and even worse dont put it into social media without knowing full facts.
Hi majortom10,

Thank you for your concern and rebuke. Please re-read my post, esp where I qualified the report with "I have heard one report (second hand)" and "or was my good friend ... misinformed by a fellow passenger". I posted here on CC to seek confirmation of the report, hence my asking "Anyone here a witness to this?".

In other words I wasn't "believing second hand" information.

When one hears/reads stories from on board of other-than-routine occurrences it is good to have such things confirmed or denied by others, where possible.

In other words I was seeking the "full facts".

Thank you for your interest in my questions.

Best wishes to you.

Edited by pepperrn

Well I was on this cruise and at one of the Captain's Welcome aboard speech and he never mentioned future jazz cruises this was mentioned by Peninsular Club representative and although there was no excitement and there was certainly no quiet speech and nobody left the dance floor without finishing his speech. Unless this happened at the second meetings which I very much doubt because nobody mentioned it for the rest of the cruise. One thing you have learnt from this is dont always believe second hand info which is often wrong and even worse dont put it into social media without knowing full facts.

Just to clarify;:)

The incident happened on Monday (2nd Nov) at the World Club Party ( I was there) It was the CWC rep 'Inigo Ayuso' who mentioned future/upcoming Blue Note voyages.

Not only was that met by a stoney silence , but I can confirm that a table of three or four guests who were seated on the port side did indeed make their opinions known

by 'slightly' raising their voices and shouting out "Oh No" !

There was a mixture of stunned silence followed by a few giggles , and of course it was the topic of conversation at our dinner table later that evening.

Edited by Bell Boy

I was on board too, I had a very relaxing time but did not bother with any of the jazz performances. It did not spoil my journey. I was disappointed with the lack of formal nights, but unlike several other people I spoke to, we knew about this in advance. Quite a few UK passengers were still expecting 4 formal nights as was announced in the voyage personaliser, and several women had bought outfits and matching jewellery for every of those formal nights. They did reinstate one of the informal nights as an optional formal night and most people did dress up properly.

Would the blue note jazz stop me from booking again? No. And it certainly wouldn't stop me if it was combined with the traditional dress code. Why should jazz be incompatible with formal wear anyway?

Then again, I was on board for 2 weeks, so got the best of both :)

Just to clarify;:) The incident happened on Monday (2nd Nov) at the World Club Party ( I was there) It was the CWC rep 'Inigo Ayuso' who mentioned future/upcoming Blue Note voyages. Not only was that met by a stoney silence , but I can confirm that a table of three or four guests who were seated on the port side did indeed make their opinions known by 'slightly' raising their voices and shouting out "Oh No" ! There was a mixture of stunned silence followed by a few giggles , and of course it was the topic of conversation at our dinner table later that evening.
Hi Bell Boy,

Thank you, this is exactly the sort of helpful information, from someone who was there, that I was hoping for. You've been most kind to answer my question, thank you again :) .

Happy sailings for the future.

Well,

I guess Cunard’s marketing effort is not going well. As an American jazz lover, I booked Oct. 29 because Miss Cole was to be on board;when she canceled I cancelled and decided to save my money for my World Cruise next year. I enjoy the Chart Room jazz evenings and I delight in Ronnie Scott’s when in London. BUT it is my experience that many British and Australian passengers of a certain age( I am 72) do not understand or enjoy jazz in many of its forms. It is a uniquely American musical form that arises out of the American social experience. It’s like modern art-some of it is breathtaking and some of it is awful or bizarre;same with jazz. Miles Davis would send many people screaming from the room.

Remember Lady Rose’s surprise for Lord Grantham’s birthday? When the jazz dance band started playing the Dowager asked whether the musicians were all playing the same thing. Jazz is for many an aquired taste, I wish Cunard well in it’s marketing efforts and whenever I’m on my favorite ship you’ll find me in the Chart Room after dinner enjoying the music.

History recalls Lady Cunard and Henry Crowder. It would seem that long has there been an antipathy between Cunard and Jazz ?

History recalls Lady Cunard and Henry Crowder. It would seem that long has there been an antipathy between Cunard and Jazz ?

It has not always been constant antipathy between jazz and Cunard. My first Cunard experience in 1998 was the Newport Jazz Festival cruise that QE2 used to visit from/to New York. I think they did it for a number of years and they anchored off Rhode Island for the weekend. The sailaway party from New York with a Dixieland Jazz Band on the aft deck is still one of the best I have ever attended (perhaps because it was my first). Mind you QE2 did not make any alterations to service and style during the voyage as seems to be the case on the current crossing and that is what has always brought me back to Cunard.

For those who want to be warned, the US Cunard site lists two 2016 Blue Note Jazz Crossings: "One formal night with smart casual dress for all other evenings (jackets required, denim pants permitted but cannot be torn or have holes in them)" :mad:

• M613 August 1, 2016 8-day EB
  • M624N October 25, 2016 7-day EB

For those who want to be warned, the US Cunard site lists two 2016 Blue Note Jazz Crossings: "One formal night with smart casual dress for all other evenings (jackets required, denim pants permitted but cannot be torn or have holes in them)" :mad:

• M613 August 1, 2016 8-day EB
  • M624N October 25, 2016 7-day EB

Thanks BlueRiband, two to avoid then :mad: .

• 6 months later...