Cruses ships going thru the new Panama Canal?

Hflors

Great question and we do not think anyone has the answer...YET! The canal project has had it's share of delays and more delays are always possible. Some sources now say the re-inauguration will be in April but even that is a question. The reality is that some of the locks are leaking and these kind of issues must be repaired before opening. Here is an interesting article we found:

http://panampost.com/thabata-molina/2015/09/02/leaks-sink-deadline-for-panama-canal-expansion/

Hank

Great question and we do not think anyone has the answer...YET! The canal project has had it's share of delays and more delays are always possible. Some sources now say the re-inauguration will be in April but even that is a question. The reality is that some of the locks are leaking and these kind of issues must be repaired before opening. Here is an interesting article we found:

http://panampost.com/thabata-molina/2015/09/02/leaks-sink-deadline-for-panama-canal-expansion/

Hank

I saw that article a few months ago and now have found a couple of newer articles - both quote the contractor as saying the leaks will be fixed in time for the planned April 2016 opening. The Canal project administrator however is holding back on fully supporting that assessment until they see the results of the reinforcements to correct the leaks as well as further testing.

Edited by joepeka

That would be unique to go thru the new lock system. Do know some freight lines have their huge ships being built or 'built and waiting' to use these locks as they do not fit thru the regular sections.

Would guess there would be no guarantee for the new locks as would expect preference would be the ships that do not fit in the regular Canal. Do the monster cruise ships from RCL fit in the current locks?

That would be unique to go thru the new lock system. Do know some freight lines have their huge ships being built or 'built and waiting' to use these locks as they do not fit thru the regular sections.

Would guess there would be no guarantee for the new locks as would expect preference would be the ships that do not fit in the regular Canal. Do the monster cruise ships from RCL fit in the current locks?

RCI is not the only one. QM2 is too big and probably Celebrity Solstice class as well. RCI Radiance class (about 92K tons) were built just small enough to go through the canal. They are about equal in size to HAL Signature and QE/QV, I expect Konigsdam will be too big for the old locks.

Roy

... and probably Celebrity Solstice class as well.
Yes, the Solstice class is 121 ft wide, and the current lock max is 106 ft.

I expect Konigsdam will be too big for the old locks.
Correct. Edited by catl331

No, nor will the Koningsdam. All are too wide.

The new locks will accommodate ships with a beam of up to 49 m (160 ft/49m; the Koningsdam's beam is 115ft/35m.

As for the Bridge of the Americas limiting full transits, the bigger cruise ships can always do what many cruises do now - partial transit.

Edited by Boytjie

Of course the contractor will claim no delays, they lose money for delays, but I stand with the canal authority, and the word in Panama is 2017 at the earliest.

Any ship that needs the larger locks will use the new locks, but yes, cruise ships are only a small percentage of the total traffic in the canal (though a lucrative one for the canal). Whether a cruise ship will use the new locks or the old ones will depend on the ship size, and the traffic at that time. As posted on the OP's other thread on this topic, yes, the old Bridge of the Americas will limit the size of cruise ships even more than the old locks.

The "new canal" is very close to the "old canal", so I don't see all that much attraction in the new ones, personally. The major difference that anyone on a ship would notice would be the rolling lock gates as opposed to the swing blade gates. Personally, I would prefer to witness the old locks (and I've been through them dozens of times), as these are true engineering marvels that have lasted a hundred years. Maybe when the new locks are that old, it would be nice to see them (though I won't be around then :D).

As for RCI's ships, I think you have to go down to the Vision class ships to find one that fits the old locks, and I'm not sure about them, as their max beam is greater than Panamax, but if it is high up (bump balconies) they may be allowed. That limits them to about 7 of their 23 current ships.

RCI is not the only one. QM2 is too big and probably Celebrity Solstice class as well. RCI Radiance class (about 92K tons) were built just small enough to go through the canal. They are about equal in size to HAL Signature and QE/QV, I expect Konigsdam will be too big for the old locks.

Roy

Many Princess ships (like Caribbean Princess) are too wide for the old locks too.

Apologies for going a bit off-topic but the Bridge of the Americas made me think of it; do others also recall the hinged and "folding" funnel on the Norwegian Dream so that she could clear low bridges such as those on the Kiel Canal and others?

You mean this?

Dream12.jpg

Dream39.jpg

NCLD15.jpg

NCLD18.jpg

The World of Residensea also has a split funnel that folds down each side.

I believe Oasis/Allure had to have a telescoping funnel to get under a bridge leaving the shipyard. They still can't pass under the Verrazano Bridge. EM

Apologies for going a bit off-topic but the Bridge of the Americas made me think of it; do others also recall the hinged and "folding" funnel on the Norwegian Dream so that she could clear low bridges such as those on the Kiel Canal and others?

Yes! Enjoyed sailing the 'Dream" through the Kiel Canal!!

The "new canal" is very close to the "old canal", so I don't see all that much attraction in the new ones, personally. The major difference that anyone on a ship would notice would be the rolling lock gates as opposed to the swing blade gates. Personally, I would prefer to witness the old locks (and I've been through them dozens of times), as these are true engineering marvels that have lasted a hundred years. Maybe when the new locks are that old, it would be nice to see them (though I won't be around then :D).

I'm personally hoping that our Zuiderdam Feb 2017 partial transit does use the old locks. To me it is the historic charm of the Canal.

Dennis

You mean this?

The World of Residensea also has a split funnel that folds down each side.

I believe Oasis/Allure had to have a telescoping funnel to get under a bridge leaving the shipyard. They still can't pass under the Verrazano Bridge. EM

I heard that the Oasis had kept exercising her retractable funnel, usually at one port in the Caribbean, but that Allure had stopped doing it, and they kind of sealed it up, as it was causing soot problems on Oasis. If I remember, they used it the one time Oasis called at NYC. The Verrazano bridge has 4 meters more clearance than the Great Belt Fixed Link bridge in Denmark, which is the bridge you are referring to coming from the yard.

Of course the contractor will claim no delays, they lose money for delays, but I stand with the canal authority, and the word in Panama is 2017 at the earliest.

Any ship that needs the larger locks will use the new locks, but yes, cruise ships are only a small percentage of the total traffic in the canal (though a lucrative one for the canal). Whether a cruise ship will use the new locks or the old ones will depend on the ship size, and the traffic at that time. As posted on the OP's other thread on this topic, yes, the old Bridge of the Americas will limit the size of cruise ships even more than the old locks.

As for RCI's ships, I think you have to go down to the Vision class ships to find one that fits the old locks, and I'm not sure about them, as their max beam is greater than Panamax, but if it is high up (bump balconies) they may be allowed. That limits them to about 7 of their 23 current ships.

Thx so much for this information.

Just a reminder, the Prinsendam routinely transits the Kiel Canal. All she has to flip is the forward mast.

Roy

And we found the Kiel transit more interesting then the Panama Canal. Our introduction to the Kiel happened early one morning (on the Prinsendam) when we were rudely awakened (at about 7am) by very loud banging and the sound of Oompah! We pulled back our curtains, and there was a large Oompah band right outside our window blasting away! They met the ship at the entrance to the Kiel Canal (and did come aboard to entertain the ship). The views of the countryside (and autobahns) as you transit the Kiel are very interesting are the locals who often line the canal and wave.

Hank

I'm personally hoping that our Zuiderdam Feb 2017 partial transit does use the old locks. To me it is the historic charm of the Canal.

Dennis

While I don't think anyone can give a guarantee that you will use the "old" locks on your partial, I think it would be a safe bet that you will. There should be sufficient demand by post Panamax ships that must use the new locks as well as present Panamax ships that would want to use the new locks because they could transit the Canal with a deeper draft... any ship that can be accommodated in the present locks will use them.

Just a reminder, the Prinsendam routinely transits the Kiel Canal. All she has to flip is the forward mast.

Roy

All the Royal Viking Line (gone but not forgotten) ships, including Prinsendam (originally the RV Sky) could transit the Kiel Canal due to their adaptable mast designs. Also the historic C&D Canal (Chesapeake & Delaware) which made East Coast positioning cruises especially scenic and enjoyable for passengers as well as canal-side residents.

All the Royal Viking Line (gone but not forgotten) ships, including Prinsendam (originally the RV Sky) could transit the Kiel Canal due to their adaptable mast designs. Also the historic C&D Canal (Chesapeake & Delaware) which made East Coast positioning cruises especially scenic and enjoyable for passengers as well as canal-side residents.

Are you saying the Prinsendam could transit the C&D Canal? That would be awesome. I've done it on the Grande Mariner (100 pax) but never on a large ship.

Roy