Free Shore Excursions

Banti

With our Jan 2017 Cape Town to Singapore cruise we get 5 free shore excursions. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions to these free excursions? Can we take a safari, worth about $339, as one of our freebies? Is there any dollar restriction?

With our Jan 2017 Cape Town to Singapore cruise we get 5 free shore excursions. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions to these free excursions? Can we take a safari, worth about $339, as one of our freebies? Is there any dollar restriction?

Most likely not the safari as there definitely are restrictions. The "free" better called included are the lower cost ones and are listed on the available excursions. More than likely, nothing more than about $150 excursions are included in those 5. For sure you aren't going to get a safari included. They tend to mostly be the general sightseeing bus tours around town and walking tours and not the expensive ones or the ones including lunch. Don't remember the term for the included ones so hope another more knowledgeable poster will further explain but, my description is fairly accurate.

Edited by rallydave

I agree that it is unlikely the safari is included, but we have booked a couple of oLife excursions on our October '16 BCN-NYC cruise on Sirena that are priced at more than $150. But there is a definite code which reveals which tours are included, unfortunately I don't remember what that is! At least on our cruise that $150 limit isn't the case (or wasn't when we booked).

But for sure the MOST expensive tours will NOT be freebies.

The tours that we booked were not limited to bus tours of the city of walking tours, however. Each one is going outside of town (generally 3-4 hours in duration I think). The prices on the tours we selected go up to $200. We opted for the "Tea at Reid's Hotel" in Funchal but as a morning tour it's not likely to include high tea. More likely coffee and snacks.

Mura

I believe the free tours are the ones without any extra designation beside them other than the activity level (walking figures)

someone will correct me if I am wrong

If they have OC, OD,AL, CD or any other symbols I will bet they are not included in the free tours

All excursions are included, except the OE and OC categories. Look at the excursions for each port of call under manage your cruise. Generally, the price ranges up to $200.

Edited by arima22

All excursions are included, except the OE and OC categories. Look at the excursions for each port of call under manage your cruise. Generally, the price ranges up to $200.

As stated above, there is no $$ limit on "free" excursions per se.

Any excursion not labeled OE or OC can be part of the "free' excursions.

Sometimes they are over $200 (like in Scandinavia)

As stated above, there is no $$ limit on "free" excursions per se.

Any excursion not labeled OE or OC can be part of the "free' excursions.

Sometimes they are over $200 (like in Scandinavia)

Sounds about right to me when we booked. Still there were plenty to choose from.

Do you have to call Oceania to book these free excursions? I have gone online and added some of these excursions to my shopping list but I only see the regular or unlimited package set ups.

I think when you "checkout" the cost is $0

If you have not checked out you have not confirmed the excursions yet

Booked our 'free' OLife excursions on the O website. It was very simple - all descriptions are there including cost. When you finish picking your excursions, you will have to put in a credit card number before you check out - but the total will come up "zero" dollars.

You'll then get an email from O listing the excursions you have signed up for.

Booked our 'free' OLife excursions on the O website. It was very simple - all descriptions are there including cost. When you finish picking your excursions, you will have to put in a credit card number before you check out - but the total will come up "zero" dollars.

You'll then get an email from O listing the excursions you have signed up for.

Thanks all. I just booked my 4 excursions. Having to enter the credit card was confusing but you're right - it says 0 for total.

Sorry, but there are no free excursions, just included excursions. Nothing is free. We are paying for them in our cruise fare. Now I think they are a good deal when looking at what we would pay for them on our own, but there is no free lunch. When we get back in July I will know if they are good or not so much. :):):)

I agree with this: "Sorry, but there are no free excursions, just included excursions. Nothing is free. We are paying for them in our cruise fare."

I checked on another line with 'free' excursions. Sure the ones for $125 or whatever were included, but if you wanted some of the premium excursions (helos, planes, whatever), those prices were nearly the same as offered by other cruise lines, or the tour folks themselves. I'd have been more tempted if the higher excursions had the full $125 off, but they didn't.

Point is, read carefully. Or de-prioritize the supposedly free excursions. Do what's best for you. (of course!)

I agree with this: "Sorry, but there are no free excursions, just included excursions. Nothing is free. We are paying for them in our cruise fare."

I checked on another line with 'free' excursions. Sure the ones for $125 or whatever were included, but if you wanted some of the premium excursions (helos, planes, whatever), those prices were nearly the same as offered by other cruise lines, or the tour folks themselves. I'd have been more tempted if the higher excursions had the full $125 off, but they didn't.

Point is, read carefully. Or de-prioritize the supposedly free excursions. Do what's best for you. (of course!)

You are right in your thinking. Problem seems to be "use or loose." Can't get a refund for any unused tours, so we will use them and hope they are pretty good.

We are among the people who got the before December 31 OLife and later traded the 4 free tours for $400 OBC. Our TA just called and made the request. Since we're not fans of large group tours, this suits us best. Also, we found that some of the most interesting tours are not available in the package. But we can use OBC for those more expensive tours if we choose-thinking about the Skagway train/hike.

We didn't opt for the beverage package, also an option for those who want to swap, because, while we enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, that's about the limit of our drinking. Only downside to our choice is that we can't reserve any tours using OBC until after we board the ship.

An additional factor for us is that we will be traveling to Alaska with our 10 year old grandsons (yes, several Alaska cruises have children's programs-check with your TA if you want to avoid them). Most of the included tours would not be suitable for children and they weren't eligible for the excursion package anyway. We could easily buy tour tickets online for 4 of us for many of the excursions at a lower cost that the Oceania total cost for 2 free for us and 2 paid for them. In most cases, private taxi tours would also be cheaper.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering a swap.

Mary

We are among the people who got the before December 31 OLife and later traded the 4 free tours for $400 OBC. Our TA just called and made the request. Since we're not fans of large group tours, this suits us best. Also, we found that some of the most interesting tours are not available in the package. But we can use OBC for those more expensive tours if we choose-thinking about the Skagway train/hike.

We didn't opt for the beverage package, also an option for those who want to swap, because, while we enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, that's about the limit of our drinking. Only downside to our choice is that we can't reserve any tours using OBC until after we board the ship.

An additional factor for us is that we will be traveling to Alaska with our 10 year old grandsons (yes, several Alaska cruises have children's programs-check with your TA if you want to avoid them). Most of the included tours would not be suitable for children and they weren't eligible for the excursion package anyway. We could easily buy tour tickets online for 4 of us for many of the excursions at a lower cost that the Oceania total cost for 2 free for us and 2 paid for them. In most cases, private taxi tours would also be cheaper.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering a swap.

Mary

Good to know. Thanks

Thanks to all who answered my initial question. Since the OC tours were the ones that interested us, and they are not included, we asked our TA to see if we could swap the "free" excursions for the drinks package without losing any of our other perks (we booked in November, so also got gratuities and free internet). The drinks package was, for us, a much better deal, and our TA was able to change with no problem, and we kept the other perks. Now we just have to see whether we can still pay for this cruise with a continually shrinking Canadian dollar!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks all. I just booked my 4 excursions. Having to enter the credit card was confusing but you're right - it says 0 for total.

I tried this yesterday but panicked at the point of putting in my credit card because the screen was showing thousands of dollars in cost. When did you see the "0"? Was it a later screen after cc info? (Surely someone at O could design a better system than this for using their included excursions.) after probably 25 years of cruising I can't recall taking one ship's tour, always opting to arrange our own, but with these included excursions, we want to use them, so we have to figure out the gauntlet they have laid down for us. Tips appreciated,

We are scheduled for the 28 August 2016 cruise out of Rome> Our cruise includes five (50) "free" excursions. We selected six (6) since Cario and pyramids were not included. Initially we were required to enter our credit card information and a total of almost $3,000 appeared. At checkout we received full gcedit for our five (5) included tours and were charged for the Cario excursion. Enter your credit card and you will receive the 'free" cruise adjustment.

Joel Barry

Most likely not the safari as there definitely are restrictions. The "free" better called included are the lower cost ones and are listed on the available excursions. More than likely, nothing more than about $150 excursions are included in those 5. For sure you aren't going to get a safari included. They tend to mostly be the general sightseeing bus tours around town and walking tours and not the expensive ones or the ones including lunch. Don't remember the term for the included ones so hope another more knowledgeable poster will further explain but, my description is fairly accurate.

Since Oceania is a sister company to Regent, many of us are quite familiar with included excursions. Depending upon the part of the world you are in, Oceania may very well have included (aka "free") excursions that include lunch and wonderful tours or, it could offer only simple bus tours. Safari's could very well be included. South Africa has both luxury and non-luxury safaris at prices that vary according to amenities.

Banti: Don't let the various offers that Oceania presents confuse you. They are simply trying to gain more customers and seem to be following Regent's lead with included drinks, internet and some excursions. IMO, the risk they are taking is that some cruisers do not drink, do not care about the internet and are not sure that they want included excursions. Regent has learned that passengers that do not want included excursions (most want included alcohol and internet), feel that they are paying for excursions in the cruise fare and would prefer not to have this benefit. Some Regent customers have left the cruise line to sail on other luxury lines where excursions are not included.

To be honest, the "new" Oceania offers are so confusing that we no longer are even looking at Oceania for future cruises. We either want all-inclusive or ala carte. Reading a bunch of gobblygook is definitely not our thing. To be clear, we are not happy with included excursions but would rather sail on a cruise line where it is offered than going with an "ala carte" cruise line.

I truly hope that these new programs work well for Oceania as they are a good cruise line. Unfortunately, we do not want to wade through the complicated terms of their offers. So, for now, it is "bye bye" to Oceania.