Warning: Tropical Storm Darby! Hawaii

ssaito1

Aloha Everyone,

Those of us here in Hawaii are prepping for the arrival of T.S. Darby this weekend. The latest forecast models have brought the storm even closer to Hawaii and with each model the situation is getting worse. Currently Hawaii and Maui County are under a Tropical Storm Watch (which will most likely be upgraded late tonight or early tomorrow). Oahu and Kauai County will most likely get issued watches today according to my sources. The timeframe of the storm ranges from Sat-Mon, going East to West in the island chain.

Please be aware that any/all ocean excursions and activities may be postponed or cancelled. We also close most parks during storms due to the adverse conditions and flooding risks. Please be safe if you are visiting this islands this weekend and stay alert to public warnings and our safety officials.

In regards to the Pride of America, the current route the ship takes is a Sat departure from Honolulu and a Sunday arrival in Kahului. This would take the ship directly into the strongest part of the storm and right into the middle of the forecasted track. I have reached out to Norwegian to see if they had any info and will post it here if I hear back!

To check on the latest conditions and storm track, visit the Central Pacific Hurricane Center page at for Darby at: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tcpages/?storm=Darby

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's nice of you to post this for those travelling in your direction. Stay safe in the upcoming storm!

Thank you very much! Just trying to spread the aloha and keep fellow cruisers safe :)

UPDATE: Tropical Storm WARNING now issued for Hawaii and Maui Counties

Thank you I am tracking this thread closely because my son and his wife are in Oahu for their honeymoon and plan to be boarding Pride of America today.

You're welcome! Oahu was just put under a Tropical Storm Warning. I'm not sure what NCL will do to the route of the ship since we're supposed to have the main effects late tonight into Sunday. If you hear anything from them about route changes or postponements, please share it. Mahalo!

There's a Weather Alert on the NCL Home page stating that the ship will leave port today at 4:00 p.m. and that all guests are asked to be at the port no later than 3:30 p.m. I'm not sure about the normal sailing time, but that seems early.

Normal sailing time is 7:00 pm, but most people are usually aboard by 3:30 as they have the safety drill at 4:45 I think it is. Of course there are people with late excursions and late flights and perhaps flight delays. Many cruisers are already in O'ahu. It would be hard to miss the news of the impending weather, hopefully everyone is staying informed. I would hate to see someone watch the ship sail away.

Here's hoping all in the path of the storm survive with no fatalities. Also hope NCL does the right thing, whatever that might be. Kia Kaha.

Mike

Sneaky little Darby is going south of the islands and is slowing down, both of which are not good for us. Luckily it's gone down about 10mph in the past 24 hours. Should mainly be a heavy rain event for us now (a lot of rain at that).

Normal sailing time is 7:00 pm, but most people are usually aboard by 3:30 as they have the safety drill at 4:45 I think it is. Of course there are people with late excursions and late flights and perhaps flight delays. Many cruisers are already in O'ahu. It would be hard to miss the news of the impending weather, hopefully everyone is staying informed. I would hate to see someone watch the ship sail away.

Yeah, it's been all over the news so if people watch tv, they certainly heard about it. Hope everyone stays safe out in the open ocean! Might be rocking out there with 10-20ft waves.

Thanks for the updates. I have friends sailing on the PoA today. I am sure that NCL will do the right thing and change the itinerary as necessary.

The forecast track has moved south from what it was yesterday. Stay safe everyone in the islands!

Nancy

Motion sickness pills or equivalent for some, the likely remedy :eek:

Otherwise, with storm/wind/waves spreading out 100 miles+ but forecasted to turn & weaken in next 24 to 48 hours, not sure if they can outrun or steer around the weather - probably changing port stops and switching things around, etc. Those that planned & booked their own shorex would not be happy. Once the storm passed thru, it's typically beautiful weather on days ahead.

For those on the islands, it's another story if mudslide and wind-driven rain sweep in, stay safe & watch for urban flash flooding, etc. Showers & wind in HNL. Airport is running normally, no ground stops or FAA delays - just some inbounds from LAX showing delays, arriving later but as others noted, POA pax usually fly in 1 to 2 days early.

Mahalo :cool:

Edited by mking8288

Thanks for the updates. I have friends sailing on the PoA today. I am sure that NCL will do the right thing and change the itinerary as necessary.

The forecast track has moved south from what it was yesterday. Stay safe everyone in the islands!

Nancy

You're welcome! It did move south, which in this scenario means all the islands will get hit with a good amount of rain. Maui and Hawaii Island are already having flooded out roads and mudslides. We're hoping for the best.

For anyone in Hawaii or coming to Hawaii, do not drive on the Road to Hana! It is extremely unsafe there and will be for days or weeks to come due to the overly saturated soil.

Motion sickness pills or equivalent for some, the likely remedy :eek:

Otherwise, with storm/wind/waves spreading out 100 miles+ but forecasted to turn & weaken in next 24 to 48 hours, not sure if they can outrun or steer around the weather - probably changing port stops and switching things around, etc. Those that planned & booked their own shorex would not be happy. Once the storm passed thru, it's typically beautiful weather on days ahead.

For those on the islands, it's another story if mudslide and wind-driven rain sweep in, stay safe & watch for urban flash flooding, etc. Showers & wind in HNL. Airport is running normally, no ground stops or FAA delays - just some inbounds from LAX showing delays, arriving later but as others noted, POA pax usually fly in 1 to 2 days early.

Mahalo :cool:

Thanks for sharing the updates on the airports. Hopefully the POA will somehow maneuver around the storm. It shouldn't be too bad regardless though. The high waves would be the biggest issue for folks on board.

Latest Update: Over 6,500 without power on the Big Island per Hawaiian Electric Light (about 3-4% of the entire island):

1835 in Pahoa area

2673 along Highway 13

2049 in Kohala

Just checked POA's live webcam, 4:40 PM local HST and she is still at the pier (was re-scheduled to leave earlier @ 4 PM) :confused:

Honolulu port is closing (Friday) tonight, from earlier news - cargo ships, etc. had been advised by authorities to ride out the storm at sea.

HNL airport flight ops fairly normal for long-haul mainland arrivals & departure now, Hawaiian Air inter-island flights are affected more in terms of delays for these short hops.

Darby is a slow moving storm that's supposed to turn right to the north & move away from the islands as it weaken, once it hit the higher elevations on the Big Island & Maui. My guess is that it will try to get away from the center of the storm and/or head for Kauai - then leave early if necessary.

Aren't one of the two ports for Maui & Big Island tendering, don't think sea conditions will be safe for doing that in the next several days with high surf's - using ship's own boats or otherwise.

Road to Hana closed again due to mudslides already and the worst is yet to come with all that wind & rain sweeping across. The sunrise and/or sunset drive up 10,000 ft. to Haleakal National park are probably not safe, even the road remains open.

Been riding out the effects of Darby here on the Hilo side of the Big Island all day. Very gusty winds and periods of heavy rain. Then the sun will peak through for a few minutes and then windy and rainy all over again. We still have power here in Kapoho, but I hear that many areas around us have no power due to downed trees and wires. I haven't ventured out to see what is going on....too dangerous...but radar seems to indicate that most of the storm is moving west of us now. But, it is still very, very blustery here. I can't see any damage nearby, but the ocean has been extremely rough all day. I have friends on the Kona side saying it has been sunny and breezy over there today! Crazy!

Been riding out the effects of Darby here on the Hilo side of the Big Island all day. Very gusty winds and periods of heavy rain. Then the sun will peak through for a few minutes and then windy and rainy all over again. We still have power here in Kapoho, but I hear that many areas around us have no power due to downed trees and wires. I haven't ventured out to see what is going on....too dangerous...but radar seems to indicate that most of the storm is moving west of us now. But, it is still very, very blustery here. I can't see any damage nearby, but the ocean has been extremely rough all day. I have friends on the Kona side saying it has been sunny and breezy over there today! Crazy!

Aloha! Glad to hear you're okay in your area. Stay safe over there. I'm sure Kona is next as the storm goes south and the moisture wraps around! We're prepping now on Oahu. Decent amount of rain today from just the outer bands of Darby.

Kona, on the west side of the Big Island ( Hawaii) is a tender port.

Having stayed at home ( in Hilo) all day today, watching TV/weather/DARBY news, its a relief it did no major damage here. It seems to now be on a NW path towards Kauai.

The ship will go where its safest, and if ports are missed, or scrambled up---that's the sad reality of what weather can do to any trip/cruise.

Revised itinerary:

Honolulu, Oahu dep. 7pm

At Sea, NaPali Coast

Kahului, Maui 8 am - 8 pm

Hilo, HI 8 am - 6 pm

Kona, HI 7 am - 5:30 pm

Nawiliwili, Kauai 10 am - OVN

Nawiliwili, Kauai OVN - 6 pm

Honolulu, Oahu arr 7 am

steamboats