Please tell me no-one has experienced unwanted 'visitors' in their bed?

Caravancruisers

Last year we had "unwanted visitors' in our bed on Princess. We thought we were getting bitten by mosquitos as we have never had any experience of such things. Eventually we caught one and showed it our cabin steward, the cabin was then fumigated, but we never had an offer of a cabin change or an apology of any kind from Princess, hence we are first timers on Cunard in a few weeks . Makes my skin crawl just to think about it......

First thing we do in any hotel/guest/cruise room is piput luggage in the shower and absolutely demolish the bed, flipping up mattresses and moving headboards.

We keep luggage in the shower or if not possible on desks - on cruises we bring airtight bags to put around the luggage along with bedbggies we place on them.

If I were on a cruise and had them and they didn't move me, I'd walk off.

We were in FLL last November and the room we found three in the room we were assigned. We moved to a different wing of the hotel.

After reading an RCI thread, I am just seeking reassurance that no-one has ever had or heard of any bed bugs in Cunard cabins?

Quite a provocative heading.

In answer to your question, no there has been no mention of bed bugs on a Cunard ship. Certainly, I have not encountered any, nor have I read reports of any bed bugs.

But don't believe me, do a search of this forum.

I don't know anything about any other cruise ship afflicted with bed bugs, but I wish those ships the best while having no interest in discussing their issues here.

Cheers to the cabin stewards on Cunard - they do their jobs extremely well.

Salacia

I sometimes become a pedantic skeptic. In that mode, let me assure you that, considering that the critters are introduced by (often unaware) guests, so by the simple odds, given the millions of passengers aboard, there have been incidents. None that I've heard of. Nor any that are likely to be noted here. But even with impeccable care, bedbugs can be introduced.

Is there zero risk? Of course not. I'd place the risk somewhere between the ship being attacked by a giant squid and your needing the Heimlich maneuver after choking on a fish bone.

- Mark

First thing we do in any hotel/guest/cruise room is piput luggage in the shower and absolutely demolish the bed, flipping up mattresses and moving headboards.

We keep luggage in the shower or if not possible on desks - on cruises we bring airtight bags to put around the luggage along with bedbggies we place on them.

If I were on a cruise and had them and they didn't move me, I'd walk off.

We were in FLL last November and the room we found three in the room we were assigned. We moved to a different wing of the hotel.

If I had to do this I wouldn't be bothered going on holiday. After thousands of hotel stays and some cruising I have never encountered such a problem. I certainly won't be starting my holiday searching for critters. What sort of a holiday is that, tipping up mattresses and moving headboards?

As a matter of interest, how many times have you discovered these pests, and where?

I sometimes become a pedantic skeptic. In that mode, let me assure you that, considering that the critters are introduced by (often unaware) guests, so by the simple odds, given the millions of passengers aboard, there have been incidents. None that I've heard of. Nor any that are likely to be noted here. But even with impeccable care, bedbugs can be introduced.

Is there zero risk? Of course not. I'd place the risk somewhere between the ship being attacked by a giant squid and your needing the Heimlich maneuver after choking on a fish bone.

- Mark

Hi Mark. I agree with what you wrote, with one exception:" Nor that they [bedbugs] are likely to be noted here". I don't think any of us are shy about reporting experiences ?

But now you have me worried about that giant squid ! No one warned me about the squid !

-Salacia;)

Probably just as much chance to find the critters in any of the plush sofas, cushions, carpets and other such furnishings.

This makes me think twice about ever sitting nakef on the cabin sofa ever again...;p

If I had to do this I wouldn't be bothered going on holiday. After thousands of hotel stays and some cruising I have never encountered such a problem. I certainly won't be starting my holiday searching for critters. What sort of a holiday is that, tipping up mattresses and moving headboards?

As a matter of interest, how many times have you discovered these pests, and where?

Hi Trevor.

I didn't even resort to that while being a sliver backpacker in Thailand. :evilsmile::evilsmile::')

It takes around 15 minutes, it's hardly a bother. If you experienced bedbugs and the thousands of dollars they can cause, you too might not be so skeptical. I work in a field where they cause tremendous amount of lost revenue and resident discomfort.

And, in three hotels. Riverside in FLL, a Marriott in NYC and a hotel in Munich I forget the name of.

And if there were bedbugs on Cunard, assuredly they would be better dressed!:cool: Except the ones sitting on the couch naked......:eek:

Ha ha - after six o'clock they will have jackets on......

It's with regret that I do have a friend that contracted bed bugs on QV just prior to her refit. She is a very frequent Cunard cruiser and she along with two others came home with the critters. Bed bugs was the verdict after a visit to her demonologist.

She really took it in stride, knowing that bed bugs does not equal dirty. The cleanest of clean hotels and cruise ships can have bed bugs, and they don't discriminate based on income either. Everything from Ritz Carlton to Holiday Inn and Carnival to Silversea can have them.

She wrote a letter to Cunard with the specifics and the cabin numbers in question. I'm not sure if she ever got a response. This was back in May. Just after this happened QV was going into a major dry dock so hopefully they were eliminated in that process. With all the carpet, mattresses, and bed linens replaces I'm guessing they were.

Probably just as much chance to find the critters in any of the plush sofas, cushions, carpets and other such furnishings.

This makes me think twice about ever sitting nakef on the cabin sofa ever again...;p

...and that makes me think about ever sitting on the cabin sofa again !

Although I've always taken the clean pool towel from the bathroom and spread it out on the sofa before I sit down -mostly because washed terrycloth is a far more comfortable fabric than a fabric that has been sprayed with who-knows-what cleaners/fabric sprays .

buchhalm, you might want to try the pool towel idea. Pretty please. :)

It's with regret that I do have a friend that contracted bed bugs on QV just prior to her refit. She is a very frequent Cunard cruiser and she along with two others came home with the critters. Bed bugs was the verdict after a visit to her demonologist.

She really took it in stride, knowing that bed bugs does not equal dirty. The cleanest of clean hotels and cruise ships can have bed bugs, and they don't discriminate based on income either. Everything from Ritz Carlton to Holiday Inn and Carnival to Silversea can have them.

She wrote a letter to Cunard with the specifics and the cabin numbers in question. I'm not sure if she ever got a response. This was back in May. Just after this happened QV was going into a major dry dock so hopefully they were eliminated in that process. With all the carpet, mattresses, and bed linens replaces I'm guessing they were.

She visited her demonologist? - Must have been a Grill's passenger - us rowers can only afford exorcists !

OK, so this has got me thinking now. I am in my fifties and have never encountered Bed Bugs anywhere. I did a CC search and find many complaints of bed bugs on lots of different cruise ships, including some photographic evidence. The common theme seems to be however, that the overwhelming majority of complainants are in fact Americans. Therefore I must ask the question, are bed bugs racist?

I do accept that these boards are frequented by many more from the US than anywhere else, but of the posts that I quickly scanned, there didn't appear to be any Brits affected by these horrible little creatures.

I'm sure someone will come back now with hundreds of posts that I have missed. :confused:

OK, so this has got me thinking now. I am in my fifties and have never encountered Bed Bugs anywhere. I did a CC search and find many complaints of bed bugs on lots of different cruise ships, including some photographic evidence. The common theme seems to be however, that the overwhelming majority of complainants are in fact Americans. Therefore I must ask the question, are bed bugs racist?

I do accept that these boards are frequented by many more from the US than anywhere else, but of the posts that I quickly scanned, there didn't appear to be any Brits affected by these horrible little creatures.

I'm sure someone will come back now with hundreds of posts that I have missed. :confused:

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

It's definately too cold for them in Scotland!

The rain is almost bashing the windows in this morning, in not sunny Ayrshire!

On a more serious note, I've read that it is more of a problem in the US and it may be that the delightful creatures are stowaways in the luggage and crossing the pond for their holidays.

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

It's definately too cold for them in Scotland!

The rain is almost bashing the windows in this morning, in not sunny Ayrshire!

On a more serious note, I've read that it is more of a problem in the US and it may be that the delightful creatures are stowaways in the luggage and crossing the pond for their holidays.

On a serious note,

When staying in New York Hotels or in fact any Hotel it is always advisable to use the luggage stands and not let your case touch the walls.

Bed bugs have been known to live in the most expensive Hotels. A few years ago NY had a serious infestation problem.