Walkie Talkies

ksplash79

Did anyone have walkie talkies on a ship that worked well? Our kids want to walk themselves to kids club on our next cruise and we want to get a set that can be used for them to let us know they got there safely. (They are 8 & 10). Any suggestions are welcome. We saw someone at half moon cay talking to someone on the ship from the beach. We want something that strong. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi there and welcome. There are many threads on walkie talkies and the majority of veteran cruisers suggest the best advice is to please not bring them on your cruise. Sometimes they don't work through the walls of the ship, and in addition they can be terribly annoying to your fellow passengers as they squeak and squawk. You've asked for advice, and no offense but I would not want to be near someone who is using them.

Here are some of the dozens of threads on the subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157306&highlight=walkie+talkies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2501937&highlight=walkie+talkies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2399646&highlight=walkie+talkies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2365394&highlight=walkie+talkies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2335462&highlight=walkie+talkies

I appreciate the sentiment of the annoyances of the devices. We simply want them for them to contact us one time to say they safely arrived, not for constant communication as we have seen some do. We had an issue on our last cruise where they went to kids club and it was closed due to an issue we were not aware of and the kids were put in an awkward situation as they weren't sure where to find us. We had already agreed upon our cabin as a meeting point and they went directly there are trained, but we want to remove the stress from the next cruise while allowing them to maintain the small amount of independence we afford them.

Aww, understood. :) Could you not walk them there just to make sure all is well? Sincerely asking. I bet there are other parents who would be doing the same thing.

Anyway, in all of those threads I posted there are some recommendations.

Have fun, all of you. :D

We may have to return to walking them to kids club. Our concern is that our oldest only has 18 more months until she is in the pre-teen club and we are trying to teach her the responsibility that will come with that level of freedom on board.

We may have to return to walking them to kids club. Our concern is that our oldest only has 18 more months until she is in the pre-teen club and we are trying to teach her the responsibility that will come with that level of freedom on board.

A phone call to the club verifying that it is open, before they leave the cabin might work just as well, and then call about 10 minutes later to verify arrival. There are ship phones everywhere so this should be easy.

Welcome to cruise critic.

As others have said, and posted links to, walkie talkies definitely do not work well on ships. Links provided explain. There is just too much metal. Also, what were you planning for them to do with the walkie talkie while they were participating in activities? Hard to hang on to when playing.

Also, not trying to get into a parenting advice war, but not sure what ship you are sailing on, but I cruise with young grandkids and would not let an 8 and 10 year old walk alone. Might depend on the ship (not thinking of the passengers; more the size) would be more concerned that they could find their way!

Also, I don't think an 8 or 10 year-old is allowed to sign in and out alone on the ships we have been on.

Welcome to cruise critic.

As others have said, and posted links to, walkie talkies definitely do not work well on ships. Links provided explain. There is just too much metal. Also, what were you planning for them to do with the walkie talkie while they were participating in activities? Hard to hang on to when playing.

Also, not trying to get into a parenting advice war, but not sure what ship you are sailing on, but I cruise with young grandkids and would not let an 8 and 10 year old walk alone. Might depend on the ship (not thinking of the passengers; more the size) would be more concerned that they could find their way!

Also, I don't think an 8 or 10 year-old is allowed to sign in and out alone on the ships we have been on.

NCL allows 10 year olds to sign out, I don't know about signing in.

The cruise is/was on MSC. We love the line and as we sail on the same ship several times a year our kids know the ship well. We always stay near the elevators that open right at the club so it is really just an elevator ride they are taking alone as we walk them to the elevators. They are allowed to sign themselves in (we don't allow them to sign themselves out) and they really think they are big stuff that we let them ride the elevator for 5 decks up alone. Alas, that might not be happening anymore. Thanks guys.

Easy solution. Stay in your cabin or other designated place while they are walking themselves to the childrens club and if they don't come back in a half hour, you are free to go on with your day.

• 1 month later...
Hi there and welcome. There are many threads on walkie talkies and the majority of veteran cruisers suggest the best advice is to please not bring them on your cruise. Sometimes they don't work through the walls of the ship, and in addition they can be terribly annoying to your fellow passengers as they squeak and squawk. You've asked for advice, and no offense but I would not want to be near someone who is using them.

Here are some of the dozens of threads on the subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157306&highlight=walkie+talkies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2501937&highlight=walkie+talkies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2399646&highlight=walkie+talkies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2365394&highlight=walkie+talkies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2335462&highlight=walkie+talkies

My hubby and i are trying them this cruise. We're constantly going our separate ways and not knowing where each other is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, I completely understand that you want to start giving your children a little freedom, within safe parameters.

AS has been said, walkie talkies simply do not work well on board ships, so you might find this is not the solution you hoped for.

How about staying in your cabin (or other designated space) for 5-10 minutes after your children go to club and ask them to ring you when they get there? There are usually phones in most public areas.

My hubby and i are trying them this cruise. We're constantly going our separate ways and not knowing where each other is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you'll find that they won't work

Have you considered using texting apps? NCL has the free iConcierge app and Carnival has the Carnival Hub for $5. RCCL has the Royal IQ app for $15/device. While they aren't 100% perfect, they'll most likely work a heckuva lot better than walkies......

I'm not sure the 8 year old will be allowed to check himself in and out....I believe an adult must accompany him.

Hubby and I simple tell each other what we will be doing...we, too, go our separate ways most days....and then we have no trouble finding each other!

Have you considered using texting apps? NCL has the free iConcierge app and Carnival has the Carnival Hub for $5. RCCL has the Royal IQ app for $15/device. While they aren't 100% perfect, they'll most likely work a heckuva lot better than walkies......

Royal IQ was $8.99 per device on my last cruise.

To text on the iconcierge app it's $9.99.

Princess has an app with texting capabilities. There is no charge for it's use. Unfortunately, they did not provide any notification function. There is no tone, buzz or other indication that a text has been received. It forces a user to check the app constantly to see if someone you are traveling with has recently sent a text. This makes it inconvenient and almost worthless. But, what do you expect for a free app with no usage charges, even for texts. If they at least added the ability to set up a vibration notification (I can understand not allowing sound notifications, especially if in the theater), it could be a decent communication app.

• 5 months later...
Follow them up 5 minutes later. The staff must surely be used to nervous parents and grandparents - they'll surely tip you the wink, discreetly, that your children have arrived?

I tend to follow my kids (9 and 11). They know that I do this, sometimes, but not always, just to check up on their responsibility! So they are always (I hope) on their best behavior.

That said, we are traveling on MSC as well and plannng on getting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE6MJ8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

To use as needed