Room Service Dishes Outside of Room? Cool or not?

johnkins

Also saying when we put them out there we do put them in the alcove, next to our door on the blank bit of wall so it doesn't take up much space. If there are two trays, we stack them and the plates and move the left over food to the top dishes and cover them with the lids.

Our room was small, just a regular ocean view and the tray took up space we needed to get ready for the day.

BTW, Australian hotels have a great thing here that's unfortunately dying: the breakfast hutch. Breakfast is delivered here and the tray goes there when you leave. And yes, it wouldn't be feasible in a ship, but oh well..

Sail .... You have not cruised on any cruise line other than HAL for quite a while and probably before that on Princess.

<snip>

LuLu

~~~~

LuLu.....

You're only a little right.

Add Celebrity, RCI, Carnival, Princess.......... ;)

Not that it changes my viewpoint on the subject. :)

How is a wheelchair, scooter or housekeeping cart supposed to pass through the hallway if people have their dirty trays on the floor?

Edited by sail7seas

LuLu.....

You're only a little right.

Add Celebrity, RCI, Carnival, Princess.......... ;)

Not that it changes my viewpoint on the subject. :)

How is a wheelchair, scooter or housekeeping cart supposed to pass through the hallway if people have their dirty trays on the floor?

Come on ... when was the last time you cruised on Carnival or even RCCL? :rolleyes: When was the last time you cruised on any cruise line other than HAL? Nothing wrong with that ... great to find one that is the best fit for you.

As you and I both agree ... it's a real problem leaving the room service trays in the hall. But what do you do when the cruise line tells you that's what you must do? :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Leaving trays in the corridor is something that everybody does. DH and I ordered room service quite a few times on our honeymoon with RCI and left the tray (or trays if there was more than one) out every time. If this is a problem for staff, surely something would be said?

And we didn't just pile everything on trays. We made sure plates were stacked and everything neat to minimise any movement. And the trays never stayed long out there anyway, someone would always pick them up.

I understand it may be a safety thing, but unless I see it being brought up by one of the staff while on the cruise I don't really see the problem.

No, "everybody" does not do so.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

On some other cruise lines ... Carnival & RCCL and maybe others ... they tell us to put the used trays in the hall.

Read post #42. It directly contradicts what you are claiming about RCCL, as does my recollection of what we are instructed to do with dirty dishes, which was to not place them in the hallway.

If we order late at night, we always put outside our door when we are finished. If we order breakfast we would leave it in our room when we are done. I would not want to sleep in a tight cabin with dirty dishes. It would be nice if they had a better way. Seeing all the dirty dishes outside cabins is never nice to look at but it is much better than having them in your room.

If we order late at night, we always put outside our door when we are finished. If we order breakfast we would leave it in our room when we are done. I would not want to sleep in a tight cabin with dirty dishes. It would be nice if they had a better way. Seeing all the dirty dishes outside cabins is never nice to look at but it is much better than having them in your room.

They are your dirty dishes, not everyone else's. If you don't want to put up with them, why would you think that the rest of us should have to?

There is a better way. Call them when you are done and within minutes they will be there to pick up the tray.

When you find a romantic deserted spot to feast and sip your wine, call room service and tell them where you are, they will deliver to you..

By and large, room service will only deliver to a stateroom. I believe one line does deliver pizza throughout the ship, but that would be the one exception I can think of.

To the OP: I actually read your question and what you are planning would be fine.

By and large, room service will only deliver to a stateroom. I believe one line does deliver pizza throughout the ship, but that would be the one exception I can think of.

To the OP: I actually read your question and what you are planning would be fine.

We were able to order anything we wanted off the room service menu and have it delivered poolside (or anywhere for that matter--they probably would have brought it to the bridge) on Windstar.

Sail .... You have not cruised on any cruise line other than HAL for quite a while and probably before that on Princess.

On both HAL and Princess they ask us to call to have our room service trays removed or leave them for our room steward and to not place them in the hallways.

On some other cruise lines ... Carnival & RCCL and maybe others ... they tell us to put the used trays in the hall.

Agree with you .... It's a horrid mess in the halls and dangerous but that's what they say to do. :rolleyes:

The OP is on a Carnival cruise.

Fortunately, we very seldom order anything from room service. More often on HAL than any other. We are fond of their club sandwiches. :)

LuLu

~~~~

You must cruise on a different RCC. than I have experienced --- to have been told to leave your trays in the hall. Try to think: do you REALLY believe that that is what they tell you- at the same time that you acknowledge that "It's a horrid mess in the halls and dangerous...?

I'm rolling your eyes right back at you.

We have been told by room service staff that they would never collect dirty dishes at the same time they deliverying other orders, unsantitary. Makes sense. If they pick up a dirty tray while deliverying, they probably are moving it to an area on the floor where room stewards would get rid of it later, if possible.

They only pick up the dirty trays after they have delivered all the new trays.

As for them being a trip hazard, the cabin doors are set back almost the width of the tray. And even in heavy seas I've never seen trays or dishes sliding across the hallway floor.

As for them being a trip hazard, the cabin doors are set back almost the width of the tray. And even in heavy seas I've never seen trays or dishes sliding across the hallway floor.

Nope, not on all lines. Besides, I've never seen a tray in front of a cabin door, it is always near the wall.......heaven forbid that it would be in the way of the cabin occupant.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Leaving trays in the corridor is something that everybody does. DH and I ordered room service quite a few times on our honeymoon with RCI and left the tray (or trays if there was more than one) out every time. If this is a problem for staff, surely something would be said?

And we didn't just pile everything on trays. We made sure plates were stacked and everything neat to minimise any movement. And the trays never stayed long out there anyway, someone would always pick them up.

I understand it may be a safety thing, but unless I see it being brought up by one of the staff while on the cruise I don't really see the problem.

We have never left our trays outside, no one we have ever traveled with has left trays outside, your wrong when you say everyone does it. It leaves a cluttered mess outside your door. I always thought it was just the ignorance of those new to cruising.

We have never left our trays outside, no one we have ever traveled with has left trays outside, your wrong when you say everyone does it. It leaves a cluttered mess outside your door. I always thought it was just the ignorance of those new to cruising.

And it wouldn't be so bad if they were picked up right away, but we have seen trays sit in the hallway all day. Not cool!

We aren't seasoned world travelers, and we have only cruised twice (so far).

We didn't order room service, but, if we had, unless instructed otherwise we would have left our trays in the hall. There were always at least 8-10 trays outside doors when we went up to the Lido for breakfast. Since this is how it is done in hotels, it would have seemed correct to us. You can call me ignorant or without manners, but everyone was a new traveller at some point in their lives. We learn more as we go along, and we truly want to be considerate of our fellow cruisers. There are experienced cruisers on the ship who have been helpful to us without making us feel ignorant or unwashed. A friendly "want me to show you an easier way to do that?" or "here's a little tip we learned on our first cruise" goes a lot farther with me than preaching or eyerolls. It's a nice way to correct me while letting me keep my dignity.

We didn't order room service, but, if we had, unless instructed otherwise we would have left our trays in the hall. There were always at least 8-10 trays outside doors when we went up to the Lido for breakfast. Since this is how it is done in hotels, it would have seemed correct to us. You can call me ignorant or without manners, but everyone was a new traveller at some point in their lives. We learn more as we go along, and we truly want to be considerate of our fellow cruisers. There are experienced cruisers on the ship who have been helpful to us without making us feel ignorant or unwashed. A friendly "want me to show you an easier way to do that?" or "here's a little tip we learned on our first cruise" goes a lot farther with me than preaching or eyerolls. It's a nice way to correct me while letting me keep my dignity.

Not sure what cruise line you were on, but the ones I prefer request that trays are not left out in the hall, but that the room attendant be notified of a pickup. This information is in the information binder in each room. We rarely see trays left out - certainly not 8-10, ever.

Edited by boogs

All of the hotels I stay at kindly request the you call a certain extension when you are finished and they will promptly send someone to collect the trays, and specifically state to please not leave them In hallways. There is usually a little card stating such on the tray or rolling table and the person delivering points this out as well. They usually add that if it more convenient, you may leave them in the room and housekeeping will remove them. My shipboard experiences have been identical.

This varies by line and perhaps even Individual ships. It is not a hard fast rule across all lines or ships.

Interesting.

Maybe this is a cultural or generational thing?

We always leave room service trays in the hall, thought that was proper procedure?

That way they could be picked up without disturbing occupants of the cabin(us).

I believe it's a "hotel" thing. Most hotels want you to leave trays in the hallways so they don't wait in the room for the maid service. They also have wider hallways. Hotels are not like cruise ships, however, where your steward comes in 3 times a day to freshen up and removes them at that time.

NEVER, EVER, leave a tray in the hallway. If it's in your way, call room service and ask them to come and remove it.