MSC Divina Credit Card International Fee

ready2cruzagain

Read today that a person was on a MSC Divina cruise out of Miami and they tried to use their credit card as payment. The kiosk would not take it. She said there was several people like that. Come to find out her card was not authorized for foreign transactions and that is why she could not use it. I am sailing the Divina out of Miami.

I always call my CC company and let them know when going out of the country. So I have never had that problem but she said their money goes straight to a European bank. I am sure I will have to let the CC know that.

My main question would be is there an international fee applied? On one of my CC's there is a 3% International fee. I am guessing I should not use that one and go with the one that has no fees for charging internationally. Is this correct?

There will be an international fee applied so if you have one which does not charge then I'd use that. I've have not had issues using a credit card on board but like yourself have always notified the bank before travelling.

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to know! Much appreciated!:D

Read today that a person was on a MSC Divina cruise out of Miami and they tried to use their credit card as payment. The kiosk would not take it. She said there was several people like that. Come to find out her card was not authorized for foreign transactions and that is why she could not use it. I am sailing the Divina out of Miami.

I always call my CC company and let them know when going out of the country. So I have never had that problem but she said their money goes straight to a European bank. I am sure I will have to let the CC know that.

My main question would be is there an international fee applied? On one of my CC's there is a 3% International fee. I am guessing I should not use that one and go with the one that has no fees for charging internationally. Is this correct?

Just ask your bank.

MSC processes their onboard transactions through a bank in Paris, so there is a foreign transaction fee on a credit card that charges one. If you travel out of the country a lot, it is wise to seek out a card or two that do not charge foreign transaction fees. EM

We have been on the Divina two times and the seaside one time. We used a Us credit card. They charged in dollars and there is NO

International transaction fees.

All 3 of these cruises were in the Caribbean. I have not heard of your issue before on MSC in the Caribbean. Are you using a Us credit card or an international credit card which would make charging in u.s. dollars a foreign transaction fee charge.

I am baffled by all of the former responses. Will be on MSC Seaside next week. Will confirm my statement is true when we get back.

When we sailed on the Divina last July we call our bank before the cruise to inquire about international fees and we were told there would be no additional fees added , however the month following our cruise a charge was on our bank statement for $8.95 as an international charges fee. It was no big deal , but it conflicted with what we were told.

We have been on the Divina two times and the seaside one time. We used a Us credit card. They charged in dollars and there is NO

All 3 of these cruises were in the Caribbean. I have not heard of your issue before on MSC in the Caribbean. Are you using a Us credit card or an international credit card which would make charging in u.s. dollars a foreign transaction fee charge.

I am baffled by all of the former responses. Will be on MSC Seaside next week. Will confirm my statement is true when we get back.

I am using a US card and the person that I read about it happening to was using a US card.

I am using a US card and the person that I read about it happening to was using a US card.

Not all US cards are created equal. If they were, there wouldn't be so many TV ads for various cards... My cards are all 'US' caards: AMEX does charge foreign transaction fees, even when the purchase is in $US. My Capital One, USAA, and PenFed cards do not. I usually us an AMEX card for onboard expenses, but not when I sail MSC. EM

You obviously used a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

Some cards do charge the fee and the charge can be a surprise to those who are not expecting it.

You obviously used a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

Some cards do charge the fee and the charge can be a surprise to those who are not expecting it.

Thank you! This is the answer I was trying to get. I have a card that does charge a foreign transaction fee and one that does not. Normally I would use the one that does but since MSC would charge a FTF then I will use the one that does not have a FTF.

I would never have thought about it since we have sailed out of Miami so many times (never on MSC though) but when I seen it on a blog I had to get the right answer.

You are right though, most people do not even think about it.

I saw the information about the foreign transaction fee and credit cards on the MSC website when I booked my first MSC cruise three years ago.

Don't ask me where on the website; probably in an area dealing with money on board.

In any case, I always give a head's up to anyone I know that is cruising MSC for the first time.