snorkeling and managing passports, cards, camera and cash

How do folks keep their passports, seaPass card, cash and credit card safe when snorkeling? Do all RCI excursions offer a means of keeping these safe? Are there available lockers? Any tips for when you are snorkeling on your own?

We have the following booked:

Nassau-- Rainbow reef tour. This looks like it will be off of a boat, so presumably there will be someone there who will manage it?

St Martin-- Pinel Island. It sounds like the excursion is basically a bus that takes us to the ferry and picks us up. So does anyone know if there are lockers or facilities on Pinel Island?

St Thomas-- St John snorkeling adventure. This will be a boat that takes us to St John, but it isn't clear that the boat stays with us. And I doubt Turks bay on St John has lockers. Does anyone know how this is managed?

While reading threads, I've seen a few mentions that you must have your real passport nd seapass card with you on excursions, but nothing about how to keep them safe when snorkeling or swimming. Is it not an issue, and I'm being overly paranoid?

If you're snorkeling from a boat then you just leave all your stuff in a bag on the boat. Someone is always on the boat. I have done excursions in St. Thomas where we kayaked and then snorkeled and they provided lockers. My experience has always been that on cruise sponsored excursions, these things are taken care of, do not worry. A waterproof pouch can't hurt if you're really not certain.

I use a waterproof bag that holds my passport, cards, money, even my phone. Everything else stays in the beachbag with the towels. I've never had anything stolen on an excursion, either from the cruise line or from an independent agent.

How do folks keep their passports, seaPass card, cash and credit card safe when snorkeling? Do all RCI excursions offer a means of keeping these safe? Are there available lockers? Any tips for when you are snorkeling on your own?

We have the following booked:

Nassau-- Rainbow reef tour. This looks like it will be off of a boat, so presumably there will be someone there who will manage it?

St Martin-- Pinel Island. It sounds like the excursion is basically a bus that takes us to the ferry and picks us up. So does anyone know if there are lockers or facilities on Pinel Island?

St Thomas-- St John snorkeling adventure. This will be a boat that takes us to St John, but it isn't clear that the boat stays with us. And I doubt Turks bay on St John has lockers. Does anyone know how this is managed?

While reading threads, I've seen a few mentions that you must have your real passport nd seapass card with you on excursions, but nothing about how to keep them safe when snorkeling or swimming. Is it not an issue, and I'm being overly paranoid?

It is not required to bring your passport with you when you leave the ship. You only need a photo id. When I snorkel, I carry my money and cards in a watertight plastic case worn around my neck. Things stay dry in a good quality case.

DH and I booked an independent snorkeling excursion, and the driver stayed on the boat while the guide was in the water with us. I can imagine RCI excursions would be the same. I kept my passport in the safe all week, never needed it at any ports or on any excursions. We kept our seapass cards, credit card, and IDs in a Ziploc bag within a backpack and that worked perfectly for us. Our snorkeling boat also had a mesh net to hold bags above the floor of the boat.

Hope that's helpful!

We struggled with this issue too, but I ended up using an around-the-neck waterproof pouch on a lanyard. Since it was clear plastic (soft plastic), I wore it under my swim shirt so the cash/IDs were not visible to anyone walking past me. We were scuba diving and it worked well down to 70 feet and I'm sure it would have been fine for much deeper. I am also sure it would have been fine if I had left it in my bag on the boat, but this way I didn't have to even think about it.

It is not required to bring your passport with you when you leave the ship. You only need a photo id. When I snorkel, I carry my money and cards in a watertight plastic case worn around my neck. Things stay dry in a good quality case.

It's a good idea to bring a clear copy of your passport on your excursion. Also, bring your day's Cruise Compass with the contact info for the Port Authority. I have a carry bag for my snorkel gear, and I keep my important ID's and $ in that bag. It's never been disturbed on an excursion.

You should know that if you are left behind, the ship will leave your original passport and wallet (if they are in your room safe) with the Port Authority.

You should know that if you are left behind, the ship will leave your original passport and wallet (if they are in your room safe) with the Port Authority.

Yes, we've seen ships staff hand passports to port agents on the pier.

We use a water wallet if on a beach for credit card, cash and seapass. If it leaks water won't hurt any of that.:p On snorkel boats/catamarans we leave everything in a small backpack that is used for towels, sunscreen etc.

On most excursions, whether ship or private, they won't be offering any lockers or arrangements for your stuff. Other than to tell you it's safe on the boat or in the vehicle, for what that's worth..... :)

Our book passports stay in the safe, we take our passport cards as our photo ID. Those, a little cash, credit card, sea pass card indeed goes into a waterproof wallet around my neck. But then again...will not hurt them if the water gets into it anyway.

When we walk into port towns, I never take a purse...the above items slip into my

pocket easily. No worries about a stolen purse then either. ;)

Your credit card, cash and ship's key CAN get wet! Put them in a velcro pocket in your swim trunks! They'll be fine. Leave camera and other stuff in whatever mode of transport you took. Or...don't bring all that stuff!

Like I said ^ .....will not hurt them if the water gets into it anyway.

If you wear a bikini and the other has a speedo....not too many pockets there. ;) Hence the around the neck

on a string little snap box.

Your credit card, cash and ship's key CAN get wet! Put them in a velcro pocket in your swim trunks! They'll be fine. Leave camera and other stuff in whatever mode of transport you took. Or...don't bring all that stuff!

Absoulutely. Money, credit cards, seapass, license are all water proof. I have yet to take my passport on any excursion that had to do with water activities.

Having said all that. DW and I have always left everything in a beach bag on the catamaran. (I would not do that on a beach excursion however)

We carry $20, seapass, Licenses, and one credit card.

St Thomas you need drivers license. Don't take passport off ship. I also use zipped waist bag. Always check zipper or Velcro on anything you swim with. Husband lost 3 drivers licenses, $200, visa card, and 5 sea cards by forgetting to zip waist bag in st Martin. Did not realise it until we were paying for lunch 2 hours later.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Those ports, I wouldn't take (and haven't) taken my PP off the ship. We take some cash, sea pass card, and one credit card. I guess a DL might be a good idea, but never done it unless I am renting a car. I usually take a small backpack and there seems to be somebody around to watch it. The only time we ever had anything stolen was on Maui and Olso, Norway. It can happen any where.

Our book passports stay in the safe, we take our passport cards as our photo ID. Those, a little cash, credit card, sea pass card indeed goes into a waterproof wallet around my neck. But then again...will not hurt them if the water gets into it anyway.

When we walk into port towns, I never take a purse...the above items slip into my

pocket easily. No worries about a stolen purse then either. ;)

You wear a lanyard? So do we.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone! I am so glad I asked this question: It's silly, but I didn't know water wallets existed. Such an obvious solution. Between ordering one from Amazon and the advice to leave our passports in the safe I feel much more comfortable.