What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

Yes, it does happen, however you cannot specifically bid on a spa balcony. You bid on a balcony and it’s possible they put you in a spa balcony or any other category of balcony available. 2 on our roll call for next week’s Escape sailing got Aft balconies today from an inside.

Thank you this is exactly what I wanted to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can only bid up 2 categories

Not in our case. We were offered every cabin above our current booking (an SJ Family Suite on the Dawn) - seven choices of categories above ours at various minimum bid levels. I do like the way they are doing this now, instead of doing it by phone like they did before.

how long does it take to get an email to tell you if your upgrade was granted?

I placed an upgrade bid a few weeks ago, leaving next week on the sky but haven't heard either way if i got the upgrade or not.

Upgrades, if accepted, can come up to two days before cruise departure.

I wonder if they get enough strong offers going the blind bid route vs. if they went with an open bidding/auction approach.

If you were eyeing a Haven upgrade where the minimum bid was let's say $400, would you bump it up to $650 if you knew it would put you in the top 10% of bids - of it they actually had a system where NCL tells you something like - "congratulations, you currently have the top bid in this category... we'll notify you if that should change (someone outbids you)".

They might find that, especially as decision day draws close, that there would be a handful of people jockeying to snag the crown.

Two ways of looking at this (and I'm sure there are fans in both camps)... just throw something out there and hope, or have the ability to sweeten the pot with bid increases - admittedly paying more than you otherwise would have.

Tom

I'm copying Caribsun's format.

Ship: NCL Star

Destination: Panama Canal (2 weeks)

Sail Date: 02/16/2018

Original room: BA deck 11 (angled balcony I think)

Bid for: SG ($840), SF ($890), SE ($870), SC ($950), SB ($1050) --- All in poor range

Bid Range for SF: $300-$2500

RESULT: SF Accepted

I checked yesterday and all suites were showing sold out so I thought I probably had not won the bid. But this afternoon received the acceptance email. Now this sailing is not even listed so it must be completely sold out.

The good news is that the Aft Balcony is twice the size of the BA balcony and has a "wrap" balcony (there is a side walkway to the side of the ship) and the bad is that the cabin is above the Spinnaker Lounge (so noise will be a problem). But I stay up late so it shouldn't be too bad (keeping my fingers crossed).

I hadn't seen any aft balconies available for some time but originally they were priced around $4499pp. With the bid upgrade, I paid $2489pp.

The other suites were going down in price by $1000 (for instance the 2-bedroom family suite SC was originally $4599 and then listed for $3399).

For PC that is a great cabin to have. It sounds like you got the one on 8 which is not so great due to lounge but at least you know about it.

I wonder if they get enough strong offers going the blind bid route vs. if they went with an open bidding/auction approach.

If you were eyeing a Haven upgrade where the minimum bid was let's say $400, would you bump it up to $650 if you knew it would put you in the top 10% of bids - of it they actually had a system where NCL tells you something like - "congratulations, you currently have the top bid in this category... we'll notify you if that should change (someone outbids you)".

They might find that, especially as decision day draws close, that there would be a handful of people jockeying to snag the crown.

Two ways of looking at this (and I'm sure there are fans in both camps)... just throw something out there and hope, or have the ability to sweeten the pot with bid increases - admittedly paying more than you otherwise would have.

Tom

I would say they must be getting a pretty good return doing it this way or else it would be changed. And if they find it is not making enough $$ I'm sure they will find the best way to increase their odds.

I'm no mathematician or programmer so algorithms are a mystery to me. What I do know is that after following this thread for a few weeks, there is no consistent answer on how to be assured of winning a bid.

The number of variables would make it impossible to try to figure it out. From what I've seen, it varies ship to ship, sailing to sailing, cabin class to cabin class. Some have won on the lowest possible bids, others have lost on higher. Some find out with a few days of making the bid, others not until a couple days before sailing.

What I do know, this thread is not going to give you the answer as to how to win your upgrade. It's just interesting to see what people have won/lost.

My advice is to anyone would be to book the cabin you want. If you decide to bid, bid what you are willing/able to pay, cross your fingers and hope you'll be happy with the cards you are dealt :D

We're in a BF cabin, I was offered all but 2 of the Haven class and a mini suite. I bid poor on H5, H7 and H9 at 80 days out. We are at 51 days out and still no word. I've upped my bid a few times on the H5 but that's it.

Will let you know when I hear. Happy bidding all.

Leaving on Escape Jan. 20th. Currently booked in a BF balcony. Paid $2158 for 2 people $2577.78 including service charge(?) Placed a bid of $430 pp on H5 Courtyard Penthouse with balcony, currently showing SOLD OUT. Aft-facing Penthouse H7 $850pp. Forward facing Penthouse $850 pp, SOLD OUT. Haven Spa Suite H9 $850pp, currently SOLD OUT. A mini suite for $125pp, there are about 10 spa mini suites, 1 mini suite with large balcony and 2 midship mini suites with balconies left. The only reason I'm bidding on mini suites is for the spa mini suite. Will update on winning bids or denials. Either way, I've NEVER had a bad cruise. First with NCL.

Edited by futurern

Leaving on Escape Jan. 20th. Currently booked in a BF balcony. Paid $2158 for 2 people $2577.78 including service charge(?) Placed a bid of $430 pp on H5 Courtyard Penthouse with balcony, currently showing SOLD OUT. Aft-facing Penthouse H7 $850pp. Forward facing Penthouse $850 pp, SOLD OUT. Haven Spa Suite H9 $850pp, currently SOLD OUT. A mini suite for $125pp, there are about 10 spa mini suites, 1 mini suite with large balcony and 2 midship mini suites with balconies left. The only reason I'm bidding on mini suites is for the spa mini suite. Will update on winning bids or denials. Either way, I've NEVER had a bad cruise. First with NCL.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe some of the people already in the Haven will bid on those owner suites and free up some of the sold out categories you bid on. Let us know how it goes, Good Luck.

Quite a good idea by NCL this.

They will be looking at all bids from owner suite down to port hole cabin views - and will look to maximise revenue in the complete ugrade chain by upgrading those that give the best cash return in the complete chain....

Just had the email for NCL Dawn 01st Apr starting bid $100 pp

how long does it take to get an email to tell you if your upgrade was granted?

I placed an upgrade bid a few weeks ago, leaving next week on the sky but haven't heard either way if i got the upgrade or not.

We got our rejection 2 days before.

Hello Ncl cruisers! New to NCL so I am not familiar with any polices etc. I just booked Ncl Epic for March on Wednesday. Today I get an bidding invite. I booked an inside guarantee with 1 free at sea. If I bid and win do I receive another free at sea option with the upgrade or still just keep the 1? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hello Ncl cruisers! New to NCL so I am not familiar with any polices etc. I just booked Ncl Epic for March on Wednesday. Today I get an bidding invite. I booked an inside guarantee with 1 free at sea. If I bid and win do I receive another free at sea option with the upgrade or still just keep the 1? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you just get to keep the one free at sea.

Bob

Read the FAQs regarding this bidding program as it's clearly spelled out...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Read the FAQs regarding this bidding program as it's clearly spelled out...

I did read the terms and conditions before posting here, but it wasn't completely clear to me as to "promotions" offered stay the same. I really don't understand why on a forums where people interact and exchange information there is such rudeness. I hate posting for this very reason. People act as if there is an inconvenience to a question being ask and offer no help actually answering the question.

I did read the terms and conditions before posting here, but it wasn't completely clear to me as to "promotions" offered stay the same. I really don't understand why on a forums where people interact and exchange information there is such rudeness. I hate posting for this very reason. People act as if there is an inconvenience to a question being ask and offer no help actually answering the question.

It actually clearly states in more than 1 place that you retain your original promos...you don't get to pick the upgraded cabin and you are only charged for the first 2 pax in the cabin

Sorry but I just put in and rescinded a bid yesterday and it was clearly there...many times...that you keep the original promos

Did you read the info they sent you?

It actually clearly states in more than 1 place that you retain your original promos...you don't get to pick the upgraded cabin and you are only charged for the first 2 pax in the cabin

Sorry but I just put in and rescinded a bid yesterday and it was clearly there...many times...that you keep the original promos

Thanks.

I agree. I didn't post here for months (maybe even over a year?) because of this very reason. You get cyber bullying and outright rudeness when you ask a simple question. But I came back and started posting again -- I decided if someone flames me, I'll just kill them with kindness, tell them to have a wonderful day and enjoy their life. Sorry if they are unhappy...but for me, life is too short and I am going to go the positive direction.

Just curious why you didn't say this earlier rather than referring to the FAQ's.