What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

Mine have all been through CAS, so they may have different rules. But 3 I upgraded to the Haven and paid the difference, and received all 5 perks, one I upgraded to a balcony and paid the difference but only kept the one perk I had with my inside (did not get to choose a second).

Yes, all I want to do is pay the published difference for the BD category and keep my existing promo that I received when I first booked. I was told by NCL on my first of many phone calls that yes, I could do this and it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, apparently it is, because no one is able to get it done. NCL said TR would have to do it. TR can't do it because NCL won't allow them to open the booking and complete the request. Even supervisor's supervisors were trying to figure out what was going on and getting the run around from everyone they talk to at NCL.

It just can't be this hard folks. Call agent. Request a category change and pay the published price difference, and promo follows. I've done this many times and have never had a problem with any other cruise line or agency.

I fully understand the bidding process. In fact, I have a bid in.

What bothers me the most: NCL will happily charge my credit card that they took when I made the bid. They can complete the change, promos kept, all is good.

However, if I want to go ahead and cancel my bid and just pay the published price difference for a category upgrade, NCL isn't able to happily charge my credit card.

They can do the bid transaction, but not the other.....??? Why not the other?? It would be the same process...right? And the answer shouldn't have anything to do with my original booking agent if NCL is processing the charge transaction if I win the bid....

Lucy has some s'plaining to do. And I have dinner to cook. ;p

** If you do a fake booking under the Balcony BD category, you'll see that you get to choose 2 promos, then the screen where you would normally choose your cabin - It shows it as a guarantee. It's more expensive than the Sail Away Guarantee balcony b/c they allow promos in this guarantee cabin category.

You can't do what you're trying to do. I've never heard of someone being able to upgrade by paying the difference between what they paid and the current fare for the upgraded room and keep the promos they got when they booked. The best you will be able to do is get the promos as they now exist for the room you are trying to get, but even that is at NCL's discretion since you are past final payment, and while they will generally allow this, as others have mentioned if the ship is close to capacity that may be why they are unwilling to do this.

Maybe so. It's been a GTY for as long as I've been looking, but that's only been a few weeks. Were you able to keep your existing promos or did you have to upgrade even more to keep them? For me now, it's more of the principal of the thing rather than the perk/promo. If you win a bid you get to keep your promo, but if you want to pay, you don't.

I too, have upgraded many times - on Celebrity and others by paying the published price difference, and never lost a thing in the process.

Win or lose, upgrade or bid.... I'll still be on the ship with my DH and great friends ready to have an amazing time.

PunkinLR, this is getting long.

First consideration is did you originally book through a Travel Agent ? If so, NCL can't upgrade you directly. You paid the TA, and then the TA paid NCL.

The bid system is different. There are agreements between NCL and the TA's allowing for it and you paying NCL directly.

If this is a Pearl sailing, and you really want a particular cabin category ? Then you better get that TA to pay the upgrade fee.

As an example: Originally booked in OA, oceanview. Usually NCL will allow $200-250 PP to upgrade to BA, midship balcony. You keep your original perk.

Now if you have to totally cancel and re-book into the higher category. Then you get what is being offered on the NEW booking.

I have been on Pearl twice out of NOLA. Little to no BID system upgrades have been done. FULL sailings in October, and December !

.... after 3 hours, the best NCL was willing to do was allow me to upgrade 3 categories and charge me for TWO perks service charges... and one of the choices couldn't be the ultimate drink package (which is what we have now)........HUH?

Hi! Would a 3 category upgrade have put you in a room with a balcony?

PunkinLR, this is getting long. Amen!! I agree! I appreciate everyone's patience. This will be the last post from me on this :D

First consideration is did you originally book through a Travel Agent ? Yes If so, NCL can't upgrade you directly. You paid the TA, and then the TA paid NCL. Right - that's where it goes sideways... TA is trying very hard to make it happen, NCL is blocking our request & wants to make us go even farther up the category change. NCL wants us to go through their Sales Department.

The bid system is different. There are agreements between NCL and the TA's allowing for it and you paying NCL directly. Yes

If this is a Pearl sailing, and you really want a particular cabin category ? Happy w/where I am, just thought if I could pay the price, I'd pull my bid. Then you better get that TA to pay the upgrade fee. I couldn't ask them to do that, I'd feel too guilty. They didn't make any errors, so not their responsibility. They've been great.

As an example: Originally booked in OA, oceanview. Usually NCL will allow $200-250 PP to upgrade to BA, midship balcony. You keep your original perk. That's all I asked to do.

Now if you have to totally cancel and re-book into the higher category. Then you get what is being offered on the NEW booking. Exactly, but I shouldn't have to cx & rebook.

I have been on Pearl twice out of NOLA. Little to no BID system upgrades have been done. Super. FULL sailings in October, and December. It's Mardi Gras week so it should be full, but they are showing a lot of available cabins at this late date.

Thanks everybody for your input. Happy Sailing, hope you all get your bids accepted, and will catch you on the flip side. xoxo

Hi! Would a 3 category upgrade have put you in a room with a balcony?
....TA is trying very hard to make it happen, NCL is blocking our request & wants to make us go even farther up the category change....

Thanks for being honest! Norwegian is offering you a balcony upgrade but you don't like the price.

It just can't be this hard folks. Call agent. Request a category change and pay the published price difference, and promo follows. I've done this many times and have never had a problem with any other cruise line or agency.

So this is your MO? Does anyone else do this, book an inside and plan to call in for a cheap upgrade closer to the sail date?

Just sounds like Norwegian didn't want to play your game.

We have sailed with NCL twice in the past and we will be on the Epic in March. We have never done an upgrade, so I am brand new to this. On my NCL account, there was a "Let's get you upgraded" email. We are currently booked with a Guarantee Balcony and there are six upgrade options. There is one that is intriguing, but I have no idea what the extra cost will be. The bid ranges from $200-$1000 per person. I might pay $200 pp extra, but I wouldn't go up to $1000 pp. I assume it is different with every sailing, but what might be a winning bid here?

Also, we could get a mini suite stateroom for a bit extra ... $25-$200 pp. What is the difference between the mini suite and a regualar balcony?

Not sure if we should bid or stay where we are. Either way, we will be on the ship and away from work :)

Thank you

Kathleen

We have sailed with NCL twice in the past and we will be on the Epic in March. We have never done an upgrade, so I am brand new to this. On my NCL account, there was a "Let's get you upgraded" email. We are currently booked with a Guarantee Balcony and there are six upgrade options. There is one that is intriguing, but I have no idea what the extra cost will be. The bid ranges from $200-$1000 per person. I might pay $200 pp extra, but I wouldn't go up to $1000 pp. I assume it is different with every sailing, but what might be a winning bid here?

Also, we could get a mini suite stateroom for a bit extra ... $25-$200 pp. What is the difference between the mini suite and a regualar balcony?

Not sure if we should bid or stay where we are. Either way, we will be on the ship and away from work :)

Thank you

Kathleen

"Winning bid" is an interesting concept and one you should honestly forget; there is no discernible, logical, human-readable algorithm for how bids get accepted... but it seems to be more than simply 'price-bid'; status, spend history et-al appear to play into it. SO the 'bid' you should make (which might win) is one you are quite simply comfortable paying for the potential upside; you might win, you might lose, it's academic, pick the highest amount you are comfortable with potentially being charged without feeling remorse and leave it in the lap of the Gods.

I have no experience of Epic (plenty will chime in)... on the Jewels, a Mini-Suite is slightly larger sqft, which frankly manifests itself as a few extra inches between the end of the bed and the wall and has a nicer bathroom with tub and sliders as opposed to the 'tardis' style tub-less with curtain etc. Few other differences... couch, dividing curtain blah.... For a longer cruise or just a little extra elbow room, the mini is nice to have... again if you are comfortable with the money it costs.

The way I look at this whole process is like going to Vegas... set a budget you're willing to lose... play and if you win go celebrate. Beauty of the NCL table game is that there is no lose... only win (maybe).

Edited by Notnewtoit

"Winning bid" is an interesting concept and one you should honestly forget; there is no discernible, logical, human-readable algorithm for how bids get accepted... but it seems to be more than simply 'price-bid'; status, spend history et-al appear to play into it. SO the 'bid' you should make (which might win) is one you are quite simply comfortable paying for the potential upside; you might win, you might lose, it's academic, pick the highest amount you are comfortable with potentially being charged without feeling remorse and leave it in the lap of the Gods.

I have no experience of Epic (plenty will chime in)... on the Jewels, a Mini-Suite is slightly larger sqft, which frankly manifests itself as a few extra inches between the end of the bed and the wall and has a nicer bathroom with tub and sliders as opposed to the 'tardis' style tub-less with curtain etc. Few other differences... couch, dividing curtain blah.... For a longer cruise or just a little extra elbow room, the mini is nice to have... again if you are comfortable with the money it costs.

The way I look at this whole process is like going to Vegas... set a budget you're willing to lose... play and if you win go celebrate. Beauty of the NCL table game is that there is no lose... only win (maybe).

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much.

Notnewtoit summed it up beautifully and it probably goes without saying, but of course the number of empty suites that are available and how much your fellow cruisers are willing to shell out will also have an impact on the bidding process.

So which upgrade option did you find intriguing?

Notnewtoit summed it up beautifully and it probably goes without saying, but of course the number of empty suites that are available and how much your fellow cruisers are willing to shell out will also have an impact on the bidding process.

So which upgrade option did you find intriguing?

Oh my gosh, I didn't even mention the type of room. I guess I said it in my head, but didn't type it. I guess I need a vacation. It is The Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Balcony (H6). The bid ranges from 200-1000. I have always wanted an Aft facing room. I am not sure if I should wait to pay for one when the cruise is longer, so we can enjoy it more or try for it now. Once again, either way, we will be in paradise.

Thanks

Just my opinion, but anything in the Haven is worth it and the Aft Haven balcony would be great. A mini suite, again just my two cents, is not worth losing the ability to pick out your room and not worth bidding on.

Just my opinion, but anything in the Haven is worth it and the Aft Haven balcony would be great. A mini suite, again just my two cents, is not worth losing the ability to pick out your room and not worth bidding on.

Unless you're bidding from an ocean view. But generally your point is correct. The unsold minisuites tend to be directly below some noisy areas mid-ship. Or on the bigger ships you really don't get much more useful space.

Oh my gosh, I didn't even mention the type of room. I guess I said it in my head, but didn't type it. I guess I need a vacation. It is The Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse with Balcony (H6). The bid ranges from 200-1000. I have always wanted an Aft facing room. I am not sure if I should wait to pay for one when the cruise is longer, so we can enjoy it more or try for it now. Once again, either way, we will be in paradise.

Thanks

I’ve never been in one but I’m sure the aft suites are great. Also you might consider the H5, same cabin but in Haven proper. I’ve stayed in that one and it was great. Balcony had 2 loungers and 2 chairs.

You have to decide if it’s worth it to you to place a bid on a short cruise. If you do, just keep in mind your chances of winning are very slim. Good Luck!

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas and opinions.

At this point, I am fine where we are. Thank you for the input on the Mini suite. If we bid, we will shoot for the aft haven. Yes, I know it's a long shot, but like I said, either way, we will be happy.

If we bid low and don't hear anything, can we go back and bid higher a few days before sailing? Or is it a once and done deal?

If we bid low and don't hear anything, can we go back and bid higher a few days before sailing? Or is it a once and done deal?

You can keep changing your bid, however, if they accept your bid right away odds are you have OVER-bid....

On many ships they don't start processing most bids until a week or so before sail date. Perhaps they do that to give people who are anxious a chance to up their bid....and then up it again and again!

Just bid what you are comfortable with. If you won't be disappointed if you don't get it, try a lower bid and perhaps you will get lucky. If you are going to worry about it until you MUST have it.... raise that bid and see what happens. Good luck!

I’ve never been in one but I’m sure the aft suites are great. Also you might consider the H5, same cabin but in Haven proper. I’ve stayed in that one and it was great. Balcony had 2 loungers and 2 chairs.

You have to decide if it’s worth it to you to place a bid on a short cruise. If you do, just keep in mind your chances of winning are very slim. Good Luck!

The aft Haven has a much bigger balcony, a separate living room. Its more similar to the 2 bedroom, but with a much larger balcony

The aft Haven has a much bigger balcony, a separate living room. Its more similar to the 2 bedroom, but with a much larger balcony

I was referring to the Epic, it’s a different animal...according to cruisdeckplans exact same room & balcony as a H5 on the Epic.

We put in an upgrade offer and it Looks like the upgrade option is gone from the NCL inbox and no upgrade was given. So I am guessing we didn’t get an upgrade. :(

Do they usually send out a rejection email for bids which were turned down?

I checked the site this morning and the upgrade was still pending and now it is not showing as an option. Is it possible they could be processing the upgrade as we speak, since we haven’t received an email stating we were rejected?

If you find the email that you got when you submitted your bids and follow the link to review you should be able to access the bidding page again

If it says expired or rejected then you have not been successful but if it says processing then you have been awarded the upgrade

We went from balcony to haven spa suite for 400 each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We put in an upgrade offer and it Looks like the upgrade option is gone from the NCL inbox and no upgrade was given. So I am guessing we didn’t get an upgrade. :(

Do they usually send out a rejection email for bids which were turned down? ...

Looked like you are sailing on the Escape this Sat. the 20th of Jan. - those "sorry" email usually don't go out until the 48 hours mark, which should be tomorrow.

Did you sign into your MyNCL dot com to see if you can see the "Let's Get You Upgraded" pop-up icon/link - does it say "pending" or expired. If not, it's probably in transition or "processing" and that will usually take 1/2 a day or so, most likely then - by this evening or tomorrow morning, you should see "upgraded" on the screen. We had alert setup on the credit card used to submit the offers, it didn't charge us until we saw "upgrade" and the new "stateroom" assigned to us. Also, if you submitted bids for 2 categories - one of them will definitely showing "expired" by now & no longer able to re-bid or cancel or change, as the "unofficially" accepted offer is being processed.

If you had a stateroom assigned or selected earlier, check by doing a mock booking - if you see it being available (or something in that category as being offered as a GTY it's an indicator) - we saw ours released for new sales in the system for 2 or 3 days, before it was taken off inventory - upgraded or newly booked by someone else ... while wondering, for a few hours only, what deck & stateroom we're getting surprised upon.

See the (uploaded) screenshots below. Good luck.

c5b84822b057125809bca84e7df67ac0.jpg

896bfe27dd15260c338c8725996be9b5.jpg

0c94722c4121967418b83aae1c2b8436.jpg

Edited by mking8288
Tapatalk image uploads - format'd