For long-time X cruisers--See an old friend

DrKoob

Was reading through a subreddit that shows ships in dry dock when I came across this ship from Main Schiff being repainted because it was sold to a new company to become the Marella Explorer. You can see the really well done time lapse shots of her being painted by clicking here.

But she looked really familiar to me and I have never been on either line. But after some deep digging, I found that before she was with Mein Schiff, she was Celebrity's Galaxy. We have very fond memories of Galaxy. We were on Solstice on her eighth voyage, sitting in the harbor in San Juan, PR when Galaxy was turned over to Mein Schiff and her crew walked over to Solstice and joined her.

Pretty great seeing Galaxy again. So glad to hear she is still in service.

Just a good memory for those of us who have been X fans for a long time.

Our first cruise was on the Galaxy which led to many more on Celebrity. We were also on her last sailing before being turned over to TUI which was sad especially seeing everything being packed away during the cruise. Some of you may remember a gentleman who checked passengers on and off the ship. He would say "Happy Happy" to everyone. I believe he retired after that cruise.

Galaxy was our first introduction to Celebrity. We took a very lazy repositioning cruise from San Francisco to San Juan. Loved that ship and I'd do that itinerary again in a flash.

That does sound like a great trip. We took her round trip from/to Rome on what X called the "Exotic Med" cruise. It was Exotic because after an overnight in Istanbul (which was AMAZING) we went into the Black Sea and stopped at Constanta, Romania and Odessa in The Ukraine. Neither of those cities were ready for cruise ships when we went.

Would do that cruise again in a minute...except for this two ports.

Jim

My first Celebrity Cruise was on the Galaxy, it was the Eastern Med itinerary that Celebrity still do which isn’t a surprise because it is a great one. [emoji4] I had a bit of a wait for another Celebrity cruise & sailed the Reflection in 2016. Hope to be onboard the Silhouette next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Solstice on her eighth voyage, sitting in the harbor in San Juan, PR when Galaxy was turned over to Mein Schiff and her crew walked over to Solstice and joined her.

I was aboard Solstice for the same cruise--it departed Port Everglades on 15 March 2009 [which likely placed us in San Juan on St. Patrick's Day]--and can vividly recall the Solstice officers out on deck, with Galaxy in view, to reminisce and say good-bye to an old friend... Next day, I had a new Assistant Stateroom Attendant who had transferred from Galaxy the day before...

I'm not usually great with remembering dates but that cruise was my first in 22 years and my first with Celebrity... It got me hooked; I haven't stopped sailing--almost exclusively with Celebrity--since!

Edited by Xport

I was aboard Solstice for the same cruise--it departed Port Everglades on 15 March 2009 [which likely placed us in San Juan on St. Patrick's Day]--and can vividly recall the Solstice officers out on deck, with Galaxy in view, to reminisce and say good-bye to an old friend...

I'm not usually great with remembering dates but that cruise was my first in 22 years and my first with Celebrity...

It got me hooked; I haven't stopped since!

That was the cruise. Glad you got hooked. We were hooked a few years before. I think that Solstice cruise was our 8th. One of the few times we have gone to the Caribbean—never been a fan of beaches or heat. :D

That was the cruise. Glad you got hooked. We were hooked a few years before. I think that Solstice cruise was our 8th. One of the few times we have gone to the Caribbean—never been a fan of beaches or heat. :D

Don't want to go too far off topic but I believe that we may have shared a mutual cruise friend... My second X cruise was on Equinox in Europe during September/October 2009 and I quickly became acquainted with Susan P [from San Francisco] during that trip... I seem to recall her mentioning you--by Cruise Critic name--while fondly reminiscing about an earlier cruise...

If I'm correct in making the connection, you may recall that Susan had faced some very significant health challenges... Sadly, I learned belatedly, that she passed away--way too soon--in October 2014...

Don't want to go too far off topic but I believe that we may have shared a mutual cruise friend... My second X cruise was on Equinox in Europe during September/October 2009 and I quickly became acquainted with Susan P [from San Francisco] during that trip... I seem to recall her mentioning you--by Cruise Critic name--while fondly reminiscing about an earlier cruise...

If I'm correct in making the connection, you may recall that Susan had faced some very significant health challenges... Sadly, I learned belatedly, that she passed away--way too soon--in October 2014...

We do remember Susan. We spent a really wonderful day touring with her in Barcelona before our Western Med cruise in 2008. Susan was awesome. Thanks for filling us in. That is so sad. She had just completed chemo when we met her then.

Jim

Was looking at your cruise list. We could have met...:D. You were on the Infinity Pacific Coastal that stopped here in Seattle a few weeks back. We had future cruise friend on board and we met them for lunch right next to the ship. Maybe someday our paths will cross on an X ship. See you on the roll call.

Jim

I was aboard Solstice for the same cruise--it departed Port Everglades on 15 March 2009 [which likely placed us in San Juan on St. Patrick's Day]--and can vividly recall the Solstice officers out on deck, with Galaxy in view, to reminisce and say good-bye to an old friend... Next day, I had a new Assistant Stateroom Attendant who had transferred from Galaxy the day before...

I'm not usually great with remembering dates but that cruise was my first in 22 years and my first with Celebrity... It got me hooked; I haven't stopped sailing--almost exclusively with Celebrity--since!

This is so good to hear because when we disembarked we wondered what was going to happen to the crew onboard. There was a special crew to take care of the turn over who all wore matching t-shirts. If I remember correctly, they were staying on the ship while it made it's way across the Atlantic.

Sadly, we never made it on Galaxy, but after 3 cruises on Mercury and 2 on Century, it was love at first sight with C-class!

Also want to give a shout out to your website, which I've just spent the past hour surfing. As I turned 60 this week AND retired as well, we are looking forward to lots of trips around the U.S. (have already done extensive global cruising). I found your trips to Utah and Low Country very interesting as they are both on our bucket lists. Also, we will be on Westerdam in August, and we'll know what to watch out for thanks to your review!

Kudos to Dr. Koob! ;)

Sadly, we never made it on Galaxy, but after 3 cruises on Mercury and 2 on Century, it was love at first sight with C-class!

Also want to give a shout out to your website, which I've just spent the past hour surfing. As I turned 60 this week AND retired as well, we are looking forward to lots of trips around the U.S. (have already done extensive global cruising). I found your trips to Utah and Low Country very interesting as they are both on our bucket lists. Also, we will be on Westerdam in August, and we'll know what to watch out for thanks to your review!

Kudos to Dr. Koob! ;)

Thanks BEAV!

As you can tell, it's a labor of love. Come back in the fall and I will have our Summit Fall Foliage cruise up by November 1. Then in July I should have our Ireland/Iceland/Shetland Island trip on there.

You don't know how much I envy you retiring. I am still working my same job I have had for more than 35 years (I own my own business) and since January 4, both my (retired on December 15 bride) and I are working part time in the travel industry. Can't wait to actually retire from at least one of those jobs. :D

Jim

I was on that same cruise!! My youngest son and I went to Senor Frogs for a St Patty day beer. That was also the day I went to a Bodies exhibit for the first time. We watched the Galaxy leave from the pier.

• 1 month later...