Just back from NCL Getaway cruise July 1-8

arch5807

This will be short .We where NOT impressed by the ship,food ,or NCL in general.Don't like the free-style dining [or the deserts in the main dining room] ,the cabin size[we where in a standard balcony cabin on deck 9 the balcony was basically unusable,] narrow halls,or that ,it seems,that everything is going on in the atrium.Every night about 2am it sounded like they where rebuilding the ship under or cabin.I complained but it did no good.It would go on until about 4 or 4:30 in the morning every morning.The buffet was a joke [you could not find an empty table] and if you did the food was cold and hard from sitting under heat lamps.Getting off the ship for excursions was a nightmare.I guess we have gotten spoiled by cruising with Celebrity and I think we will just stick with that line from now on.I know some are going to tear this review and that's OK .Just my opinion [everyone has one].

Deck 8 on Getaway has a number of bars/shops/and restaurants which will account for some noise when those outlets close down each night around 2am. Fat Cats and Sugarcane are both on the deck below and both close down around 2. I understand if you did not enjoy the food or the freestyle aspects of NCL, however cabin selection is a case of buyer beware. I learned this my first time on the Getaway when I was on Deck 5 and had the atrium above my cabin. Lesson learned.

Didn't like free style dining AT ALL.We like to have a set time to eat and be able to have a table when we get to the restaurant.We also like having the same waiters all week again just our opinion.The balcony was so shallow the chairs had to be sideways and there was a large canopy, over the waterfront area, just below us so looking straight down at the water was out.I understand what was under us but the amount of noise was over the top.I agree everyone has different tastes the Getaway is more tuned toward a late 20 to maybe 40 crowd we are late 50s and mid 60s.

Didn't like free style dining AT ALL.We like to have a set time to eat and be able to have a table when we get to the restaurant.We also like having the same waiters all week again just our opinion.The balcony was so shallow the chairs had to be sideways and there was a large canopy, over the waterfront area, just below us so looking straight down at the water was out.

Did you have reservations?

As for the balcony and view down to the water, there are balconies that offer both a larger size and view straight down to the water.

Getaway (or any other cruise ship) has flaws but overall, it is a very good experience. Sorry that you didn't enjoy it.

You can not make reservations in the main dining rooms between 5:30 and 9 pm I tried.I am well aware there are better cabins available if you have the money.We didn't .I'm not going to get into a protracted argument about the ship or our trip it's over ,we had a good time,these are just my observations and my opinions .

It's horses for courses Arch. This obviously wasn't your course.

Glad you still had a good time but if the dining setup is so important you should've probably given NCL a wide berth. For is it's the main attraction but the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things. Probably a lot busier too [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I wasn't arguing.

If a larger balcony is important, it can be done for the same price as a standard balcony.

If a view directly down to the water is important, it can be done for slightly more.

Based on the first post, it seemed that you didn't have a good time (nothing positive mentioned) but I'm glad that you "had a good time", anyway.

Whenever I cruise and meet people who have no idea that Cruise Critic exists, I feel bad for them. Perhaps it's just me (and my fellow CC'ers) but I research exhaustively before going anywhere, including on a cruise. I research where on the ship is the best place to get a room, location of room versus what's above and below it, which deck is best for our needs/desires, the size of and view from balcony, etc. CC is where I learned about the "hump" and which cruise line is compatible with our needs.

We have mostly gone on RCL cruises but were looking for something different having already done the Oasis and the Allure and looking for a summer cruise to the Caribbean from Miami or Fort Lauderdale. My travel agent friends suggested Celebrity but through my research I learned that since we like to have entertainment at night (and not just shows, but things to do) that NCL was probably a better fit for us. We are sixty somethings but we feel like we fit in more with the 40-50 demographic than the 65-75 ones.

We do not like a set time for dining, because what if we change our mind and decide that we want to eat a half hour later or earlier than the reservation time? There's nothing I hate more than rushing to get ready to eat when I'm enjoying what I'm doing at that time. I understand we do have a set time for the specialty restaurants, and I researched which shows were on which nights so I knew which nights to make reservations for those restaurants.

Through my research, I learned that we may have an issue with smokers around the Atrium and at some waterfront places. Knowing that in advance means I won't be surprised or disappointed when it happens. I now know that the UBP does not include water, or specialty coffee drinks, like it did on the Oceania. So I know not to be upset when I get on board and find that out.

Through my research I learned that while food tastes are subjective, many people feel that the food on NCL ships is not as great as they would like, and certainly have not ready many complimentary things about the desserts. Fortunately for us, we live in south Florida, which has any number of fine dining if we want it. Mostly we go out to local spots so dining isn't really a top priority on a cruise. For those for whom it is, a little research may have suggested a different line. We don't have great expectations about the food, so we won't be disappointed. We cruise for the relaxation and the ability to experience different ports without having to pack and unpack repeatedly.

Through my research I learned about the Haven and the bidding process. More research convinced me to just go for the upgrade directly (we could afford it, but I prefer saving money to spending it whenever possible).

My family and friends make fun of me for the amount of research I do before any trip, but my DH certainly enjoys the fruits of that labor. Fortunately, he is the laid back go with the flow one and I get to do all the prep work without interference. It is unfortunate when people don't do their research and then get disappointed. I feel bad for them.

You can not make reservations in the main dining rooms between 5:30 and 9 pm I tried.I am well aware there are better cabins available if you have the money.We didn't .I'm not going to get into a protracted argument about the ship or our trip it's over ,we had a good time,these are just my observations and my opinions .

Am leaving next week on the GA and hopefully we'll enjoy it more than you. Sorry about your experience. The only thing I question is the reservations in the main dining room. I know I have a reservation for 2 at 6:30pm in the Tropicana. I made them at 90 days out.

• 2 weeks later...
Whenever I cruise and meet people who have no idea that Cruise Critic exists, I feel bad for them. Perhaps it's just me (and my fellow CC'ers) but I research exhaustively before going anywhere, including on a cruise. I research where on the ship is the best place to get a room, location of room versus what's above and below it, which deck is best for our needs/desires, the size of and view from balcony, etc. CC is where I learned about the "hump" and which cruise line is compatible with our needs.

We have mostly gone on RCL cruises but were looking for something different having already done the Oasis and the Allure and looking for a summer cruise to the Caribbean from Miami or Fort Lauderdale. My travel agent friends suggested Celebrity but through my research I learned that since we like to have entertainment at night (and not just shows, but things to do) that NCL was probably a better fit for us. We are sixty somethings but we feel like we fit in more with the 40-50 demographic than the 65-75 ones.

We do not like a set time for dining, because what if we change our mind and decide that we want to eat a half hour later or earlier than the reservation time? There's nothing I hate more than rushing to get ready to eat when I'm enjoying what I'm doing at that time. I understand we do have a set time for the specialty restaurants, and I researched which shows were on which nights so I knew which nights to make reservations for those restaurants.

Through my research, I learned that we may have an issue with smokers around the Atrium and at some waterfront places. Knowing that in advance means I won't be surprised or disappointed when it happens. I now know that the UBP does not include water, or specialty coffee drinks, like it did on the Oceania. So I know not to be upset when I get on board and find that out.

Through my research I learned that while food tastes are subjective, many people feel that the food on NCL ships is not as great as they would like, and certainly have not ready many complimentary things about the desserts. Fortunately for us, we live in south Florida, which has any number of fine dining if we want it. Mostly we go out to local spots so dining isn't really a top priority on a cruise. For those for whom it is, a little research may have suggested a different line. We don't have great expectations about the food, so we won't be disappointed. We cruise for the relaxation and the ability to experience different ports without having to pack and unpack repeatedly.

Through my research I learned about the Haven and the bidding process. More research convinced me to just go for the upgrade directly (we could afford it, but I prefer saving money to spending it whenever possible).

My family and friends make fun of me for the amount of research I do before any trip, but my DH certainly enjoys the fruits of that labor. Fortunately, he is the laid back go with the flow one and I get to do all the prep work without interference. It is unfortunate when people don't do their research and then get disappointed. I feel bad for them.

So well said and so very true!!!

Really sorry you didn't enjoy your experience. Kudos to you for at least being willing to try something different. It sounds like you found out what works best for you and now you know to stick with it.

I actually love NCL so far and am hesitant to try another line. The fact that you were brave enough to try when you already knew you had a good thing going with Celebrity is really impressive to me. Sorry the risk didn't pay off.

Whenever I cruise and meet people who have no idea that Cruise Critic exists, I feel bad for them.

Why feel bad for them? Those are the happy people.

For the most part, if I had never cruised and was considering it, a quick glance at these forums would make me want to run fast and far away from a cruise. There is certainly very valuable information here, but you've got to really do some digging to find it. It's usually drowned in a bunch of BS.

One of your major complaints being the freestyle dining concept is odd, given that is something NCL actively markets. Just a bit of research would have indicated to you that you were probably not going to like that system. In any event, you could have made multiple dinner reservations in advance.

This will be short .We where NOT impressed by the ship,food ,or NCL in general.Don't like the free-style dining [or the deserts in the main dining room] ,the cabin size[we where in a standard balcony cabin on deck 9 the balcony was basically unusable,] narrow halls,or that ,it seems,that everything is going on in the atrium.Every night about 2am it sounded like they where rebuilding the ship under or cabin.I complained but it did no good.It would go on until about 4 or 4:30 in the morning every morning.The buffet was a joke [you could not find an empty table] and if you did the food was cold and hard from sitting under heat lamps.Getting off the ship for excursions was a nightmare.I guess we have gotten spoiled by cruising with Celebrity and I think we will just stick with that line from now on.I know some are going to tear this review and that's OK .Just my opinion [everyone has one].

though I think your review was more of a rant than a review and offered no real suggestions or details. to anyone, you still have a right to your opinion. What works for one may not work for another. As for the balconies, yes, on the mega ships particularly they are very small, but they still hold 2 chairs and a small table. For some of us that is all we need. For others they want room for a lounge, etc.

We have sailed on all the mass marketed lines and some smaller ones, for us NCL works the best. We do enjoy freestyle and are ok with the buffet though we rarely go to the buffet. We prefer the MDR, the specialty dining rooms and O'Sheehans.

BTW, don't worry about getting slammed. You gave us your opinion, now I am sure you feel better, but do be prepared for others asking you more direct questions and reasons other than you didn't like the desserts for your feelings on the food.

I have noticed you referred to NCL as being a cruise line for the younger cruisers. This does surprise me. Maybe your ideas come from cruising in the summer. NCL is noted for being one of the lines recommended for multi generational families. We are now in our 80s, our daughter and hubby late 50s and grand kids in their 30s. All prefer NCL over other lines. Ir is all a matter of opinion I think. Maybe rather than age, you prefer a slightly more formal atmosphere. That would make you enjoy Celebrity over NCL I would think. :cool:

Edited by newmexicoNita

Sorry you didn’t enjoy yourself. I’ve known people that didn’t like Celebrity. Go figure. Everybody has different levels of requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are among those who did not care for Celebrity. We gave them 3 tries and none were top of the line. in fact our granddaughter not married on a Celebrity ship.

Is this accurate - that you can’t make MDR reservations? You could in 2016 & I am counting on it for 2019. We are a party of 9 that prefers reservations over waiting to be seated.

I am not sure about the Getaway, but I am on the Escape in October (so within 90 days) and I can make reservations for all of the MDRs right now through My NCL.

Is this accurate - that you can’t make MDR reservations? You could in 2016 & I am counting on it for 2019. We are a party of 9 that prefers reservations over waiting to be seated.

My understanding has always been, you can, especially with a large group. It may be difficult to sit 9 together. When we had 12 of us on a family cruise, they gave us 2 tables but they sit us together and we were able to make reservations ahead of time.

I made ressies for the Tropicana room in October for 2. Every hour was open. Getaway

October 20, 2018 Not October 2. Just caught this. I am thinking this is an evening with Burn the Floor dancers.