The BIG 60!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:44 AM.
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,554 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Hi, as many of you regulars know, I took my first River Cruise last year on AMA and LOVED IT.......since that cruise
I have taken 2 Ocean Cruises and will be going on another one in August.....the newest is on Silverseas and am quite
excited about it....AMA was fabulous and from everything I have been reading, SS is fabulous too....it is much
more $, but circumstances in my life have given me the opportunity so I am grabbing it.

Now, March of 2018 is the BIG 60.......I know how much I loved the River Cruise and just wanted to get some input on
suggestions for the big birthday......just not sure if I should do another River Cruise or not........I did love the first one so
I am guessing I would enjoy a 2nd too........any recommendations/input would be appreciated
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,554 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Question, is the edit feature for changing the Title of a thread no longer working?....I tried the " Go advanced" feature
and it won't even work.......I meant to type that BIG in all caps.......
Rhine, Germany
2,125 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Hello Lois R,

of course I recommend another river cruise. I do not want to dampen your spirits here but the date is a tricky one: March! A bit on the cold side and only the beginning of European itineraries you might have a little difficulty finding the right one. But then again, there might be an inaugural sailing of a new ship... Or head out to Asia...

I hope you find the right ship for the big occasion. Have fun planning.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,554 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
If I have to go in April I will do that.......it would be a belated birthday cruise...when I did the first one it was a year ago
THIS WEEK..........where has the time gone?
Toronto, Canada
850 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I won't actually be going until I'm 61, but my 60th birthday present to myself is my cruise to Vietnam and Cambodia.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Nomi

Aegean Odyssey, Istanbul to Venice, 2015
Bike and Barge Holland, Bruges to Amsterdam, 2014
Uniworld, Vienna to Basel, 2011
Uniworld, Tulips and Windmills, Antwerp to Amsterdam, 2010
302 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary... but gnome, you are welcome to join us to!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Northern KY
1,045 Posts
Joined May 2006
Lois, Absolutely go! We just completed our 4th river cruise, the second in the month of March. The weather was perfect. Sunny and 65-75 every day.

This year, we did the Rhine. Last year, the Danube, and the year prior, the Seine. They all have a "favorite" part, but for pure scenery, we'd pick the Danube.

This year's trip is our overall favorite, for the ship, the food, the crew, and the new friends we've made. It's so easy on a river cruise to meet new people. (And it was my 50th:-) )

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,554 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Thanks for all the replies......I wish there was a River Cruise to the British Isles......does anyone know if that is done?
I know in London there is the Thames.......and of course they have River Cruises on the Seine.....but are there any River
cruises in the Scotland/Ireland/England area of the world? .
New York
8,308 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
The Queen's birthday is at a bad time weather-wise, like yours -- and she has always celebrated it later when the weather was likely to be better. If it's good enough for the Queen ... it should work for you too!

[PS - I fixed the title for you.]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,554 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
The Queen's birthday is at a bad time weather-wise, like yours -- and she has always celebrated it later when the weather was likely to be better. If it's good enough for the Queen ... it should work for you too!

[PS - I fixed the title for you.]
Hi Jazz, thanks...LOL.....PLEASE....lol.......I am sure it will work....... looks like most March river cruises start at the
end of March and that is the time of the month I cannot sail......so should I decide on a River Cruise it will be April or
May.
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,554 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
I was looking at Tauck but that is not a River Cruise....but a small ship.......
Long Island, NY
6,512 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
The only river cruises I've found were barge cruises on the Thames. Not the same as River Cruises. We finally decided to do an independent land tour using London as our base and then taking tours to the countryside from London. There are a few itineraries leaving Southampton around the British Isles on a couple of the big ships.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Got2Cruise
Planning the cruise is half the fun.
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,554 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by Got2Cruise
The only river cruises I've found were barge cruises on the Thames. Not the same as River Cruises. We finally decided to do an independent land tour using London as our base and then taking tours to the countryside from London. There are a few itineraries leaving Southampton around the British Isles on a couple of the big ships.

Thanks...I know many of the "big ships" have British Isles itineraries.....I just have to decide what I really want to do.
Jacksonville, FL USA
48,554 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by acwmom
Lois, Absolutely go! We just completed our 4th river cruise, the second in the month of March. The weather was perfect. Sunny and 65-75 every day.

This year, we did the Rhine. Last year, the Danube, and the year prior, the Seine. They all have a "favorite" part, but for pure scenery, we'd pick the Danube.

This year's trip is our overall favorite, for the ship, the food, the crew, and the new friends we've made. It's so easy on a river cruise to meet new people. (And it was my 50th:-) )

Robin

Hi Robin, you were on Uniworld, correct? How did you like them? Is your next cruise with them too?

Daisi, I see you are going on Avalon. Have you sailed them before?
Coastal NC
3,244 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Lois R, we are taking a Grand Circle British Isles trip in July. The ship, Corinthian, only has 90 people and gets right into most ports in or very near town. It is very similar to river cruising. This will be our third time on this ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sharon

Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011.
Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. 12/11/11.
Grand Circle's [i]Essence of the Elbe: 5/27/12/ to 6/11/12
Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn , 2012. .
Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G
Grand Circle, Burma and the Irrawaddy, Thailand and Cambodia. Nov 25, 2014. RV Paukan 2012.
Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian
AMAWaterways: Magnificent Europe. Aug 30 to Sept 14, 2015. AMACerto. Budapest to Amsterdam
Vantage: The Peruvian Amazon and Machu Picchu. 3/12/2016. Post trip to Lake Titicaca. Ship: RV Amazon Discovery
Grand Circle: Grand Baltic Sea Voyage. . 7/30/2016 to 8/15/2016. Ship: Corinthian
Viking: Castles & Legends. Munich to Budapest. 12/5/16 to 12/16/16. Viking Ve.
Viking Sky: Mediterranean Getaway, Rome to Barcelona, 2/25/17 to 3/4/17.

Grand Circle: Maritime Jewels of the British Isles. 7/23/17. Ship: Corinthian
Avalon Affinity: Burgundy & Provence with London, 10/2/17
Viking RA: Pharaohs & Pyramids. March 8, 2018
Northern KY
1,045 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by Lois R
Hi Robin, you were on Uniworld, correct? How did you like them? Is your next cruise with them too?

Lois,

We have done Uniworld 3 times, including the one a couple of weeks ago, on the SS Antoinette. Last year, we were on Avalon, and didn't care for it nearly as much.

Next year, we are switching things up, and doing a Viking Ocean cruise around Italy.

Robin

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
302 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Hi Lois. We are doing our first cruise, we chose Avalon because they seemed to be the one that "fit" us the best.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature