Sky Suites - What does the Butler Do?

oshkosh1

The Butler will take care of your personal needs. The room steward will take care of the cleaning and service of your room.

We've only had a butler once, on the Galaxy in 2008. Our butler took care of all of our room service, brought tea and snacks on a large cart each afternoon. We've never had such nice room service nor breakfast that was so nice and fresh in the cabin. He would set the table with tablecloths and a nice setting and serve breakfast as opposed to standard room service which just drops off a tray. The butler also will serve complimentary espresso based coffees in your cabin on request.

We had a large veranda and had a party for about a dozen people. The butler did a great job of setting things up and brought huge platters of snacks.

Other people use the butlers for things like appointments, dinner reservations, picking up excursion tickets, delivering notes, etc. But we never needed these services.

When you first meet your butler you should ask him what his duties are and what services he can provide for you.

Edited by Lsimon

We have booked a sky suite on the Reflection for 2014. What does the butler do? Is there also a steward for the suite?

The butler will be available to serve you breakfast in your suite should you choose. There's nothing like having breakfast on your balcony in the morning. Sea days are always a question mark, but port days are really special. As well, they will bring around a cart to serve tea and sandwiches and sweets right around the 3:30pm-4:30pm time frame. They will also bring you a plate of canapes or cheese and crackers around the 5pm-5:30pm time frame. Don't hold your breath for the canapes, because they are not all that special. They will reserve seats in the Celebrity Theatre for you on formal nights. We found that very helpful during our last cruise in December. Others have posted instances where the butler has assisted in packing and unpacking, but we have never asked our butlers to do that for us. The best advice we can give you is..be kind to them and they will be kind to you.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

In addition to the services already mentioned, we have found that the butlers are invaluable if you do have a problem.

Just after the staterooms are available the butler will drop by to introduce themselves, and explain what they can do for you.

During the morning and afternoons the butlers wear vests and ties. They generally add a coat in the evenings.

Hi, I have been on several cruises but never in a suite. My last cruise the upgrade fairy visited me and I was in a Royal suite. I am typically not really good at relaxing totally, letting people do things for me etc. Well I will be the first to say, the butler service, just about ruined me for all future cruises. He was fantastic. Afer the first day, and "getting to know" each other, times, patterns etc, he was fantastic. As soon as I left the room was made up, clothes folded, dishes straighted, fresh flowers all the time because he knew how much I loved flowers. Canapes were special made, when I shared which ones I loved. As some say, it was the icing on the cake.. If anyone has the opportunity, they should experience it..

If you cant tell, I loved the experience and :D.

Our first =X= cruise was in a Suite - spoiled me for anything else since then! Our Butler was able to get my husband a tux while we were at sea! DH forgot the pants to his suit (don't ask how because neither of us know how he did that) and needed something to wear for formal night. We asked our Butler and he told us that they do sail with some tuxes on board. DH looked so handsome that cruise - makes me want to accidentally on purpose misplace his suit pants again! :o:D

We had a Sky Suite on Century in April. The butler did very little as we didn't ask him for very much.

I asked for a double espresso at 7 AM. First day I never got anything. Second day I got a Latte. Third day, cappuccino. Then we had a little chat. After that I got my espresso but he had to go to deck 5 (I was on deck 12) and get it in a cardboard cup and by the time I got it, it was tepid at best.

No matter how many times we told him we were not interested in "tea" and canapes, he still knocked on the door daily. It was intrusive.

We do not take any meals in the cabin. I can't stand it when my bedroom smells like a kitchen. We do like cheese and fruit from room service in the afternoon and the butler did supply cheeses of my choice, from Celebrity's pitiful selection, and fresh pears.

We used him for nothing other than the tepid coffee and the fruit and cheese. One day we did request extra cheese and wine glasses for a party, but he was off so the other butler brought them....late.

I have determined that I am not a "butler" kind of person. I did thoroughly enjoy the sky suite with the huge veranda and tons of storage. I'd go for another one (if it was another free upgrade :D) but it would be for the location and cabin size, not for the butler.

I can fetch my own coffee and it will be hot. I can get the cheese and fruit from room service or bring it back from the buffet.

We thought it would be so exciting to have a butler, but we just couldn't find a use for him.:)

I've never had a butler but if I did I wouldn't ask for much but I WOULD have him:

- Address me not by name but as 'My liege'.

- Challenge me to chess every day whilst talking smack about how good he is yet lose in the first 5 moves. That would be epic because I suck at chess.

- Laugh at my jokes (even the bad ones).

- Warm up my bed by lying on top of it for 20 mins each night before I crash. This will require a flexible schedule on his part.

- His music knowledge and lyric acumen should be strong because he will perform karoke requests on the verandah during sail-ways.

- Iron my underwear. Hopefully this will not chaff me on hot summer days in port.

- Accept all 'Quarters' and 'beer pong' challenges.

Edited by CCnoob2010

We were in a Sky Suite on Solstice and had a butler named Bart.

He was great and wore black pants with white shirt and black vest.

We had some friends over one night and he "catered" it for us. Bringing an extra table, shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers, etc.

He also brought us cappuccino 2x daily.

Anytime we ordered room service he delivered it.

Afternoon cookies, cheese, crackers, fruit.

We had 3 other couples sailing with us so he made dinner reservations at the specialty and MDR restaurants for us.

1832.jpg.4654b54eedcde666d7df8f8cac3a0750.jpg

2537.jpg.93f55ab8f3094b14a63ebc15338c775f.jpg

Silly question, but how does the butler dress?

Here is a photo of our butler serving afternoon tea. He usually wears white gloves but did not this day for some unknown reason. When not serving tea, he always wears a jacket with the vest and tie.

DSC_9559-1.jpg

I've never had a butler but if I did I wouldn't ask for much but I WOULD have him:

- Challenge me to chess every day whilst talking smack about how good he is yet lose in the first 5 moves. That would be epic because I suck at chess.

- Warm up my bed by lying on top of it for 20 mins each night before I crash. This will require a flexible schedule on his part.

- His music knowledge and lyric acumen should be strong because he will perform karoke requests on the verandah during sail-ways.

- Iron my underwear. Hopefully this will not chaff me on hot summer days in port.

LOL, very funny.

What about

- Reading the newspaper for you? or

- Drawing the bath?

:D

Love these ideas lol!

LOL, very funny.

What about

- Reading the newspaper for you? or

- Drawing the bath?

:D

LOL @ Reading the newspaper to me. How did I leave that off? Better yet, read the newspaper to me whilst doing an impression of a celebrity (Celebrity...get it?) of his choice each day. :D

I'm sailing in my 1st suite on Eclispe in '14 and I am excited to have a butler. I get room service coffee everyday as my wakeup call so I imagine that I will love to have a full breakfast served in cabin on most days - I enjoy being on the balcony watching as we pull into port and to have a relaxed breakfast will be wonderful! I also plan to have a full dinner serviced at least once on the balcony.

The afternoon treats don't interest me but I will make full use of having the butler make specialty dining & show reservations - gives me that much more time to just enjoy myself, although I would not want anyone to unpack or pack for me.

We'll have 14 nights to get to know one another so I hope that we get a good one. Don't let others make you feel odd about the fact that you are going to be getting this addition service - you'll be paying for it so enjoy!!!

Here is a photo of our butler serving afternoon tea. He usually wears white gloves but did not this day for some unknown reason. When not serving tea, he always wears a jacket with the vest and tie.

DSC_9559-1.jpg

If we had a Butler that looked like that, I am sure i wouldnt see my wife on deck much

LOL @ Reading the newspaper to me. How did I leave that off? Better yet, read the newspaper to me whilst doing an impression of a celebrity (Celebrity...get it?) of his choice each day. :D

Very funny, I would have him read it as De Niro " Are you talking to me?":D

Our butler on the Infinity was wonderful. Really didn't think that we would want the afternoon tea cart and goodies as we have early seating but we found we really enjoyed it. I visited the medical centre for a GI complaint and the Dr was sure it wasn't Noro but I was confined to the suite for 24 hrs to make sure it didn't develop into anything else. Our butler brought us wonderful meals, set up the balcony for us and brought me little titbits often to brighten my day. Loved my cappuccinos in the morning as well:D