Flamingo Grill becoming Margaritaville on GA. :(

AdoraBelle

What!?!?!? Flamingo was my favorite! Big bummer for our cruise on 5/15....

I'm just a few weeks after you. I can't get Cuban food in my hometown and FG was one of my favorite perks of the GA. I only booked this cruise very recently because it seemed like NCL had stopped making customer-hostile decisions for now.

No way am I paying to eat at a celebrity chain theme restaurant instead. So frustrating. If this pans out, definitely done with NCL after this cruise.

Why start a thread to link the thread right below this one? :confused:

Because that thread title only refers to the Uptown Grill on the Breakaway, so people sailing GA soon might not bother clicking.

I gave the link because when you're delivering news online, it's only polite to provide your source.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Because that thread title only refers to the Uptown Grill on the Breakaway, so people sailing GA soon might not bother clicking.

I gave the link because when you're delivering news online, it's only polite to provide your source.

Ah, okay. Had my "...aways" confused. :)

I only booked this cruise very recently because it seemed like NCL had stopped making customer-hostile decisions for now.

I'm genuinely interested, what made you to think so? You probably had a valid reason for that.. :confused:

What!?!?!? Flamingo was my favorite! Big bummer for our cruise on 5/15....

I missed the part where we were told the date this is happening. On what sailing will this change be in place? Obviously soon, since it includes yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm genuinely interested, what made you to think so? You probably had a valid reason for that.. :confused:

Sorry, not sure I understand the question, but if you mean "why did I think NCL had stopped making customer-hostile decisions", I was around for the massive slaughter of 2015 (I'm sure you know the lists I mean), and other than the ridiculous fare bumps to pay for our "free" perks, the first few months of 2016 had seemed pretty calm so far. Keep in mind I am referring to the "no food from buffet" type insanity of last summer as comparison.

If this isn't what you meant, you'll have to re word the question. :)

Sorry, not sure I understand the question, but if you mean "why did I think NCL had stopped making customer-hostile decisions", I was around for the massive slaughter of 2015 (I'm sure you know the lists I mean), and other than the ridiculous fare bumps to pay for our "free" perks, the first few months of 2016 had seemed pretty calm so far. Keep in mind I am referring to the "no food from buffet" type insanity of last summer as comparison.

If this isn't what you meant, you'll have to re word the question. :)

That is exactly what I meant because I haven't seen the changes winding down or going away - there have been numerous cost saving/price raising changes recently too (like cutting down the number of wines by the glass, limiting UBP even further on Sky, changing complimentary restaurants to speciality ones, etc).

That is exactly what I meant because I haven't seen the changes winding down or going away - there have been numerous cost saving/price raising changes recently too (like cutting down the number of wines by the glass, limiting UBP even further on Sky, changing complimentary restaurants to speciality ones, etc).

While I don't have much respect for the "this change doesn't affect me so I don't care" mindset, I admittedly don't notice the booze related stuff as much because I don't drink much.

What complimentary restaurants went up charge besides M'ville?

I love FG - and I must say in 3 Getaway cruises we never found it crowded. So nice for lunnch or a snack . Lrgpizza turned us on to the breakfast as well.

Really a drag to now have a pay venue in that location.

Two thumbs down!

I am not a fan of celebrity self-agrandizing chain restaurants in the first place

I love FG - and I must say in 3 Getaway cruises we never found it crowded. So nice for lunnch or a snack . Lrgpizza turned us on to the breakfast as well.

Really a drag to now have a pay venue in that location.

Two thumbs down!

I am not a fan of celebrity self-agrandizing chain restaurants in the first place

Cross your fingers for me that I can score some cheese pastelitos for breakfast in early June. :/

I suppose it's too much to hope that they'd at least set up a Cuban station on the regular buffet line.

I also enjoyed complimentary breakfast 3 times at Margaritaville before it went a la carte and they removed the breakfast menu. If they are getting rid of Uptown/Flamingo Grill breakfasts, I'd hope they'd at least bring back the Margaritaville breakfast, even if it's for pay!

Just because they're adding it to the other ships doesn't necessarily mean they are doing well. I think this has been the plans ever since Escape was introduced and they are going ahead with the plans. Even if they only sell $200 worth of food it's still more than they get from the complimentary space. More nickels and dimes for NCL,fewer free choices for their customers. But they don't care. More crowded ships. They don't care. Less staff to serve drinks. They don't care. As long as they keep selling cabins they'll keep adding fees. I believe they will push this as far as they can. There will be a straw that breaks the camel's back. JMHO

Margaritaville must be doing well on the Escape if they are implementing it on the BA and GA. Unfortunately.

We didn't see many people at Margaritaville on our Escape cruise and others have reported the same. If this is a contractual obligation to the Margaritaville brand we just wish they would try a little harder. No music playing and the menu & prices just not attractive. We love the Cuban food at the Flamingo Grill so I hope if they are changing they will take a long time for the changeover.

I was on Escape a month ago and I never noticed it being very crowded. I never looked at the menu nor have I ever been to a Margaritaville. Is the food that good? I thought it was burgers (Cheeseburger in Paradise). Is it that much better than the free burgers in the GC?

Just because they're adding it to the other ships doesn't necessarily mean they are doing well. I think this has been the plans ever since Escape was introduced and they are going ahead with the plans. Even if they only sell $200 worth of food it's still more than they get from the complimentary space. More nickels and dimes for NCL,fewer free choices for their customers. But they don't care. More crowded ships. They don't care. Less staff to serve drinks. They don't care. As long as they keep selling cabins they'll keep adding fees. I believe they will push this as far as they can. There will be a straw that breaks the camel's back. JMHO

Have to agree with you... Making something is better than giving it away!!! Like everyone else says, the SOB isn't done yet... I'm sure every possible avenue for making money is being looked at under a microscope.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but seriously...these ships sail the Caribbean, where almost every port already has a Margaritaville. Why would they need them on the ships? Especially with the Getaway now going to Europe/the Baltic...I'm sure that's exactly what European cruisers want :confused:

And they're putting them on GSC and Harvest Caye?! I don't know...I don't get it.

I understand they think they'll make more money, but I just don't see how it will be that profitable.

"Oh, look, another Margaritaville! Let's not eat this free food here provided by NCL on GSC and choose to go spend more money at a place we can go literally anywhere else!" :rolleyes:

A lot of people book more than a year in advance. I booked our family 1/2017 Getaway cruise April/ 2015. The changes regarding a la carte dining, room service fees, increased DSC, etc, etc, etc were just beginning. It's just too much trouble to change now that so many plans have already been made. We'll just try to avoid as many extra fees as we can and make the best of it. Once people have taken the cruises already booked within the last year it will be interesting to see how new bookings look a year from now.