Next new ship after Bliss?

RMS Olympic

i believe the next ship is due sometime in 2019....has anyone heard any updates on this ship? I had asked NCL if the ship would be built for China and was told no final decision will be made till they see how the Joy does financially. Perhaps no news has been published because no dicision has been made...

If the building schedule at Werft continues, the next ship should start once Bliss is floated out of the building.

Me, I'm hoping NCL decides to send it to Australia......give the Sydney based ships some big competition.

If anyone hears anything about this next ship, please post.

Thankstimf2001 ! I figured the fall would be her due date which might mean an inaugural transatlantic f she doesn't head for China. I might consider her inaugural if I don't live dangerously and book the Costa Smeralda inaugural.

If you get any additional info, please post. In the meantime I am sailing on the first Bliss Alaska cruise on June 2, 2018.....counting the days.

Thanks again.

Tom

Is it the first Leonardo after the next Breakaway-Plus (after Bliss)?

Maybe not. From the press release: "Four ships are on order for delivery in 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025, with an option for two additional ships to be delivered in 2026 and 2027."

I did not remember that there was an option for two more Leonardos, so potentially a total of six! I hope they have studios. If I decide I'm still too young for HAL, this class of ship would be my sweet spot.

Maybe not. From the press release: "Four ships are on order for delivery in 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025, with an option for two additional ships to be delivered in 2026 and 2027."

I did not remember that there was an option for two more Leonardos, so potentially a total of six! I hope they have studios. If I decide I'm still too young for HAL, this class of ship would be my sweet spot.

The Leonardo ships are clones of MSC's Seaside class. People sailing MSC are going to get a preview of what these ships might be like....

• 1 month later...

I very recently saw an article on another site that mentioned a possible name being Norwegian Paradise for this ship and as of a few months ago, the plan was for it to still be custom built for Asia, like the Joy. However, things could change.

I personally hope they do change their mind and allocate this ship to North America, especially since all the other brands will be launching new ships (many new classes/designs) and the Leo ships don't come until 2022 which is pretty far out.

Anyone have any updates or new theories on this?

I haven't heard anything lately but some time ago there was an article saying that the bookings for the Joy weren't as good as NCL had projected. I had hoped that this would lead them to change their deployment plans for that next ship. You are right- 2022 is too long to wait for another new ship after Bliss!

Norwegian Paradise sounds like a great name to me:cool:

Norwegian Paradise sounds like a great name to me

Nah, it sounds like a name for a lame Carnival ship....oh, wait.:D

Why is it so difficult to name a cruise ship with a name that isn't already used by another ship? How many "Dream" ships are there? Don't even get me started on RCCL's "of the Seas" infatuation.

They should let us cruisers name every new ship. Open bookings with a blank space for the name and everyone who puts down a deposit gets to suggest a name. Let the cruise line select a name before the steel cutting ceremony. The winning name submitter gets their cruise paid for by the line.

How about using a former NCL name....Norway2

As far as positioning...how about Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific. The competition is moving new tonnage down there....NCL could really kick a-- with a new ship....id book it in a heart beat.

But I don't see it entering service till early 2020 unless the steel is already getting cut and laying of the keel begins when Bliss is pulled out of the building.

They can, of course, always change their minds, but I thought the decision was made to send Breakaway+ IV to China.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Norwegian-fourth-Breakaway-Plus-ship-bound-for-China

Ditto.

Although this summer the Joy seems to lost some of that "20% premium" FDR mentioned in the link above:

"The only bad news: China's ban on trips to South Korea has negatively affected cruise prices and onboard spending for the Norwegian Joy, a ship purpose-built for the Chinese market that entered service in April."