Azamara Quest for young Adults/teens

Julie D

We are considering doing a Azamara Quest 7 day cruise in July from Barcelona, Ibiza, Minorca, Corsica , Elba , Florence and Rome and we will have our two sons who are 15 and 22 years old. We did a celebrity cruise 6 years ago and they loved it as they had kids club and there were plenty of Kids their age. From what I'm told there are hardly any young Adults this age onboard Azamara.

Has anyone had these ages onboard before and if so would you recommend it? Thank you

We are considering doing a Azamara Quest 7 day cruise in July from Barcelona, Ibiza, Minorca, Corsica , Elba , Florence and Rome and we will have our two sons who are 15 and 22 years old. We did a celebrity cruise 6 years ago and they loved it as they had kids club and there were plenty of Kids their age. From what I'm told there are hardly any young Adults this age onboard Azamara.

Has anyone had these ages onboard before and if so would you recommend it? Thank you

At that age, they really are young adults. I have seem quite a few examples of this type of age group onboard - sometimes its hard to differentiate those under 20 and those aged 20-30 anyway!. As long as they are not expecting teen oriented entertainment and are happy to be with adults they will have a good time.

At that age, they really are young adults. I have seem quite a few examples of this type of age group onboard - sometimes its hard to differentiate those under 20 and those aged 20-30 anyway!. As long as they are not expecting teen oriented entertainment and are happy to be with adults they will have a good time.

Agree with uktog.

Since it is July, there is more likelihood of other passengers in their age group(s), but not likely there will be many.

I would also assess their interest in ports on the itinerary. Perhaps there are sites/activities that young men would particularly enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Average age for Azamara 50-80.

However, as it is a port intensive cruise the age on board may not influence your son’s enjoyment.

I think your 22 year old will be just fine. We sail most night late so he can enjoy going out in port for drinks. He cab go into our disco at night and drink or dance, your younger son will enjoy the ports but he might be bored at night on ship.

Both should like the Azamara evening on shore.

I think the answer and indicated by the variety of replies is, it depends. There maybe a few younger people on the cruise. Chances are on a week in the Med in July there will be, but no guarantee. I've seen more certainly. There is no kids club. There is a table tennis table set up on deck 10 and a Wii console set up on the TV in the Spirits Bar at certain times of the day. I guess it also depends upon your sons too and how easily they can amuse themselves. I've seen younger people have a great time on Azamara.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I took my son (24), daughter (17) and other son's girlfriend (21) on a 7 day Greek Islands cruise last summer and we all had a blast. There were definitely others in their age group, we ran into them at the gym or by the pool. But we spent most of our time on shore, as we sailed primarily at night, so my kids did not really have much time to socialize on board. They had a great time, no complaints about lack of "young adult" activities.

I have rarely seen young adults on Azamara ships. Like others say you might get lucky and have other young people on board. If you will be doing most of the things as a family, this might not be very important on a port intensive, short cruise. However if you do not want to take a risk of your children getting bored, I would suggest you sail with a different cruiseline. Celebrity might be more appropriate.

Ivi

We took our sons on a similar port intensive cruise when they were aged 15 and 17 and they loved it. They had never cruised before so everything was a new experience, plus they had nothing to compare it with.

The following year we took them on another one - having given them the choice of various other types of holiday - at their request. I think the full days in port helped, and the fact that we spent the evenings as a family anyway. They did, however, say they would prefer to do something different the following year, so I think the novelty had helped.

In summary, I think it really depends what your sons are used to in terms of family holidays. They will not find many others their ages on board, and no activities aimed specifically at them, but that may not bother them at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've met a couple of young men about the ages of yours on my two Azamara cruises and both thoroughly enjoyed themselves. As has been said, it depends on the boys. The two I met liked history, so enjoyed the ports, and enjoyed spending time with their parents. The parents knew they were good kids who wouldn't disturb anyone, so gave them the run of the ship when we weren't in port and the boys loved that sense of freedom. The one old enough to drink exercised that opportunity, got to know the bar tenders and often had a tall glass of something of dubious color in his hand! The younger one watched movies many evenings, and was a reader too, so wasn't bored. We had only one sea day, so there really wasn't a lot of down time to fill. Consider your boys, their wishes and go for it, if they're interested.

While personally I would never choose to take my young adult children (ages 20 and 25) on an Azamara cruise (because of the high cost per person and also because I don't think the ship offers enough for them and there are other better choices for our family) we did take them on Viking Ocean in the Mediterranean over the holidays. I thought that 1) the larger ship (50% larger than AZ and 900 people) would offer more for them and 2) since it was the holidays there would be more young people sailing. Well, I was right and wrong on that. The larger ship with the really nice spa facilities and three pools and three hot tubs was a nice option and we all used that quite often; however, there weren't any activities geared especially toward young people so they didn't really meet others (only a very small number of that age range on board anyway), and the entertainment on Viking wasn't any more appealing to them than Azamara would be. While it wasn't the "most fun ever" they have had on a cruise (I think this was their 8th) the time spent together with our now adult children (one who lives far away) was invaluable to me and my husband and we liked that we didn't have to compete with "social opportunities" for their attention. We spent almost every meal together, did all shore excursions together, and spent time in the evenings playing board games or just hanging out. I came home and told my husband the opportunity to spend 10 days with my adult children was so special for me that I would have spent "any amount of money" for it (which kind of terrified him that next we will be booking owner's suites on Seabourn for the four of us or something like that) :) They had a good time and experienced a lot (my son's first trip to Europe), and we all had time together. So I would say, the trip is as much for you as it is for them and if you want to do it, manage their expectations in advance, do some fun things together you haven't done since they were little (first time we had played Monopoly in years) and enjoy! You know your kids best.